• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

Doubt there'll be a P5 manga anytime soon. The stress came more from the fact that he teased Chapitre 9 would be the final volume, but then had to apologize when it wasn't. And now he has to finish both the P4 and P3 mangas simultaneously, and is hoping he can get it done before P5 is out.

He's certainly been working on the P3 manga for quite some time. ANN tells me he started it in 2007. Almost up to 10 years now.

daevious

Yeah, gonna agree with Flux and say that the huge amount of P3 stuff is kinda interesting. I attribute it more to the movie being pretty popular in japan than any official upcoming game, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did a P4G esque re-release.

For the record, how much are these films selling and are there any comments from viewers about why they like the P3 films?

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay since it's apparently a community issue among some people, or multiple people have an issue with me posting in here- I originally left this thread because of the spoiler rule and the fact I was cursed out in length over expressing that I disagree with it.
Me coming back to talk on the very thing that is the reason I left the thread (not IRC, completely different thing) isn't something worth having....choice words over, especially when I really like a lot of you in here.

Now, on the topic of anyone here who doesn't know me in the thread and minded me coming in, I apologize for coming off as randomly, er, drama sparking, but yeah, that's why I felt the need to comment on it. Regardless, sorry, I'll stay out of it for now if people have strong feelings.

Now, on the topic of anyone here who doesn't know me in the thread and minded me coming in, I apologize for coming off as randomly, er, drama sparking, but yeah, that's why I felt the need to comment on it. Regardless, sorry, I'll stay out of it for now if people have strong feelings.

Either way, don't be a stranger. We'll move past this little spat.

Squire

Banned
He's certainly been working on the P3 manga for quite some time. ANN tells me he started it in 2007. Almost up to 10 years now.

Have you read any of that? Curious to know how he adapts the story; how he structures it between the main narrative, the S. Links, whether he adds in scenes or not, etc.

A decade is a whole lot of P3.

Weiss

Banned
Have you read any of that? Curious to know how he adapts the story; how he structures it between the main narrative, the S. Links, whether he adds in scenes or not, etc.

Well hey, he dragged it out long enough for Persona 3 to be relevant again.

Sophia

From what I've seen and heard of it, he takes a different approach than the movie adaptations. Opting to adopt things in a non-linear format and jumping around from one event to the next. For example: It starts
during the final full moon shadow, and then goes back to show you the beginning.
The upside to this format is that there's virtually no pacing issues from the game itself present, unlike the second movie where they flew by several months in what seemed like only just a month. This also makes individual story points better; Strega from what I can tell gets an entire story arc to themselves. Several plot points from The Answer were also basically incorporated directly into the narrative too. The downside to this format is that if you're not familiar with the game, it can be difficult to follow along with despite the author providing date stamps for every scene.

It's just the main story but it makes jumps. It takes portions of the main story and condenses it based on character. Like everything regarding
Shinjiro/Ken/Strega
is in one volume. They visit Fukushima in the Mitsuru based volume but the Aigis meeting is shown three volumes later
to coincide when she confronts ryoji
. And Ryoji is shown in side stories like a teaser from the very beginning.

Squire

Banned
It's just the main story but it makes jumps. It takes portions of the main story and condenses it based on character. Like everything regarding
Shinjiro/Ken/Strega
is in one volume. They visit Fukushima in the Mitsuru based volume but the Aigis meeting is shown three volumes later
to coincide when she confronts ryoji
. And Ryoji is shown in side stories like a teaser from the very beginning.

From what I've seen and heard of it, he takes a different approach than the movie adaptations. Opting to adopt things in a non-linear format and jumping around from one event to the next. For example: It starts
during the final full moon shadow, and then goes back to show you the beginning.
The upside to this format is that there's virtually no pacing issues from the game itself present, unlike the second movie where they flew by several months in what seemed like only just a month. This also makes individual story points better; Strega from what I can tell gets an entire story arc to themselves. Several plot points from The Answer were also basically incorporated directly into the narrative too. The downside to this format is that if you're not familiar with the game, it can be difficult to follow along with despite the author providing date stamps for every scene.

Ah, that sounds great. Unorthodox formatting goes very under appreciated, I think. They should've had Sogabe's consult on the screenplays for the films. His format would play well.

You always want to bring new people in, but Persona being a niche, I bet it's pretty likely the majority of the audience has already engaged with the source material to some extent. And, you know, being sort of hard to follow just isn't necesarilly a bad thing, on top of it. A lot of great stuff takes two viewings or more to really understand/appreciate.

Sophia

Ah, that sounds great. Unorthodox formatting goes very under appreciated, I think. They should've had Sogabe's consult on the screenplays for the films. His format would play well.

You always want to bring new people in, but Persona being a niche, I bet it's pretty likely the majority of the audience has already engaged with the source material to some extent. And, you know, being sort of hard to follow just isn't necesarilly a bad thing, on top of it. A lot of great stuff takes two viewings or more to really understand/appreciate.

I think, if they had done Persona 3 as a TV series, using some elements of Sogabe's format (such as grouping things more closely into story arcs) would have been properly a very wise idea. I don't think it really would have worked too well for a movie format tho.

Now that SMT4 Final is out, Atlus is officially done with all of their big name winter releases and can finally begin hyping that long awaited sequel,
Etrian Odyssey 5
, coming out in Summer 2016! Please look forward to it!

I feel like a lot of the SMT4/F demons will make it into Persona 5 (honestly I think half the reason they made Doi redraw them is so they'd look ok in Persona 5). Inanna seems like a pretty sure bet since she looks like she was designed with Persona in mind, as does Napaea.

PK Gaming

P5-Cast.jpg

Persona Magazine to feature information on Persona 5 + Interview with Hashino

It comes out on February 23rd

Doesn't really sound like much tbh, interview aside. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't even any new screens.

Is the P3MC art on the cover new?

And as predicted. SMT IV F was announced and has it's entire marketing cycle in the gap between Persona 5 trailers.

Lower their expectations then really come out firing all cylinders! New characters! Gameplay details! Exclusive illustrations!

Just kidding, it'll probably be, at most, a summary of what little they've released so far and another interview with Hashino that basically says nothing. I'm sure they're working hard on making it the best game they can, and that fans can look forward to new information soon, and how they've used things they've learned from previous projects and applied them to this one. Please. Look. Forward. To. It.

Lusankya

Nope, there is still a lot left for them to show before the game releases.

Cooperation/Social Links
New Battle mechanics
Possible Demon negotiation
Other new gamepaly elements outside of battle

Lunar15

Nope, there is still a lot left for them to show before the game releases.

Cooperation/Social Links
New Battle mechanics
Possible Demon negotiation
Other new gamepaly elements outside of battle

Oh, sure, they can talk about anything. But personally, I don't necessarily need anything other than the release date.

Weiss

Banned
well calling it new info would be a stretch. It is boring cause it's absolutely nothing interesting to say.

It's like, what is even the point.

Hey let's talk about the game everyone wants for the first time since we delayed it five months ago, and by that I mean just reiterate a bunch of boring shit. Please be excited.

FluxWaveZ

So this has bothered me for forever, and it'd be cool if anyone actually has the answer for it. Remember this piece of art?
It was from the October 8, 2015 issue of Famitsu released on September 24, 2015. I'd like to know where it exactly came from because, as far as I know, the "clean" version isn't actually in the magazine itself.

Really, as far as I can tell, it spawned out of nowhere and people just started linking to it and saying it was from the magazine. It's obviously from Famitsu itself because of the logo at the top right, but I'm not sure where precisely it came from.

Considering the stuff in the bottom left, I'd guess this is a postcard or a clear file or something. Do we know anything about any bonus items included with that magazine?

FluxWaveZ

Considering the stuff in the bottom left, I'd guess this is a postcard or a clear file or something. Do we know anything about any bonus items included with that magazine?

That's the first thing that came to mind too. If there's no other answer, I'll just assume that it was a B2 poster or something that was included with that issue of the magazine. I tried searching specifically for anything like that that would have been included with it, but I couldn't find anything.

Edit: Actually, I feel like I would have seen plenty of pics floating around with people showing off their P5 posters or clear files if that had been the case. I'm thinking that it might be some kind of display that was used to promote that issue of Famitsu magazine, like a sample cover put on shelves or a display poster that retailers put up so people would be aware of what was in the recent issue of Famitsu and buy it.

Nimby

Banned
That's the first thing that came to mind too. If there's no other answer, I'll just assume that it was a B2 poster or something that was included with that issue of the magazine. I tried searching specifically for anything like that that would have been included with it, but I couldn't find anything.

Edit: Actually, I feel like I would have seen plenty of pics floating around with people showing off their P5 posters or clear files if that had been the case. I'm thinking that it might be some kind of display that was used to promote that issue of Famitsu magazine, like a sample cover put on shelves or a display poster that retailers put up so people would be aware of what was in the recent issue of Famitsu and buy it.

Do famitsu usually release clean versions of covers like that? I really want clean versions of the SMT: Nocturne covers for very important reasons
mainly avatar use

Sophia

Do famitsu usually release clean versions of covers like that? I really want clean versions of the SMT: Nocturne covers for very important reasons
mainly avatar use

A reverse image search doesn't return up that specific image on Famitsu's website, although I do find the non-clean version. Nor do I find any other source. I wonder where it originated from....?

I do find the image on a number of Japanese blogs, but nothing I can glean that indicates the source of the image.

FluxWaveZ

mainly avatar use

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure they don't. And if they did, I think we would see clean versions of Famitsu covers (in the style of the Persona 5 one) all the time, and we'd know exactly where to seek them out.

A reverse image search doesn't return up that specific image on Famitsu's website, although I do find the non-clean version. Nor do I find any other source. I wonder where it originated from....?

I do find the image on a number of Japanese blogs, but nothing I can glean that indicates the source of the image.

For the P5 one, I searched literally everywhere I could for way longer than I should have, but the only two leads I could find were GAF user Sn4ke_911 and maybe AllGamesBeta.

Almost think that someone in the know managed to get an in-house Famitsu copy of it and disseminate it online or something weird like that. At this rate, it's gonna be another Naoto Shirogane voice actor mystery.

Ah well, I'll pay more attention the next time something like it happens.

FluxWaveZ

The picture was probably cleaned up using Photoshop/equivalent, it happens all the time.

Uh, from this?
There's a slightly cleaner version than the cover edition within the magazine itself, but that's still WAY too busy to reproduce elements accurately like Yusuke's shoes (which are blocked entirely in both of the magazine versions), the shadows + colors in the background, the P5MC and Ryuji's pants, etc. Especially not within 2 hours.

Plus, neither the Famitsu cover version or the Famitsu article version have either the Famitsu logo at the top right, or literally any of the text elements that you can see in that mystery 3rd version. Why would someone who photoshopped either of the versions choose to add random text elements, the Famitsu logo, and "NOT FOR SALE" when their purpose was to clean it up?

An edited version makes zero sense.

arue

So this has bothered me for forever, and it'd be cool if anyone actually has the answer for it. Remember this piece of art?

It was from the October 8, 2015 issue of Famitsu released on September 24, 2015. I'd like to know where it exactly came from because, as far as I know, the "clean" version isn't actually in the magazine itself.

Really, as far as I can tell, it spawned out of nowhere and people just started linking to it and saying it was from the magazine. It's obviously from Famitsu itself because of the logo at the top right, but I'm not sure where precisely it came from.
I remember the clean versions were done by these guys.
The original "clean" version, as found by Snake:

My edited cleaner version:

16:9 version:

16:9, centered version:

The editing is not perfect, but it'll hopefully do. The JPEG compression is strong with this one, which made it a little harder than expected.
FunkyDealer already posted some, but oh well here is my quick and dirty clean up for a 1080p wallpaper.
edit: or maybe there is the real clean version out there. Idk. I remember using their^ versions as my wallpapers.

FluxWaveZ

I remember the clean versions were done by these guys.

No, that's not it, read what they said. What they edited was the "clean" version to create a "cleaner" version without any text. Even I could do that with a bit of time since that's just removing the small bits of text left.

arue

No, that's not it, read what they said. What they edited was the "clean" version to create a "cleaner" version without any text. Even I could do that with a bit of time since that's just removing the small bits of text left.
Ohhh I get what you're saying now. I looked around and still don't know where it came from.
I don't know if the digital version of Famitsu has different pages compared to the physical one, but I'll just assume it came from Famitsu or else I'll have a headache by thinking about this all night.

FluxWaveZ

Ohhh I get what you're saying now. I looked around and still don't know where it came from.
I don't know if the digital version of Famitsu has different pages compared to the physical one, but I'll just assume it came from Famitsu or else I'll have a headache by thinking about this all night.

I've spent too much time thinking about it, but I really like drilling down into the origins of seemingly meaningless stuff. Looking through my digital copy, I considered that it was just a differing page issue between the physical version (which would actually be pretty weird), but I also don't think that makes sense because they would have no reason to put "NOT FOR SALE" on any attached page in the magazine (none other has it, for example), and they very likely wouldn't have just slapped the logo at the top right.

The format of the whole thing resembles my P4D clear file that came with one of the Persona mags. The likeliest explanation is that this was a B2 poster or clear file that was somehow included with the magazine. But then I have to wonder why I found literally no one posting any picture showing it off online.

There was actually a clean version of that image released. The issue of famitsu on 13/01/16 had clean versions of every cover from last year.

Not that that actually solves anything, since the one you're looking for long predates that.

Top Bottom