• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2018 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| Man Blue vs Man Red for the KONAMI Cup

philm87

After the demo I'm planning on grabbing this at lunchtime. Should I lads? Last PES I bought was 2011,though I messed around with 2015 briefly.

Do it. I'm loving it. May take a little while to get used to, but when you get into it you'll really enjoy it. Also look into downloading an option file to get all the proper teams and kits etc.

Rellik

After the demo I'm planning on grabbing this at lunchtime. Should I lads? Last PES I bought was 2011,though I messed around with 2015 briefly.

If you want a football game then there's no rival to the on pitch experience that PES gives you.

philm87

I'm yet to be beaten in online divisions and I'm averaging over 60% possession in my games. I've averaged 3 goals for and 0.38 against so far in 9 games (won 7 drawn 2) so it's working for me.

*shrugs*

Nice! What rating you up to? I've had a bit of a torrid time messing with my tactics, but on the way up now. Was getting ripped apart playing 4-3-3 but changed to 4-2-3-1 now and dominating.

GHG

Nice! What rating you up to? I've had a bit of a torrid time messing with my tactics, but on the way up now. Was getting ripped apart playing 4-3-3 but changed to 4-2-3-1 now and dominating.

It's over 741 at the moment but that's just with the 9 games played. On myclub I'm sitting at 749 with over 20 games played.

This version of PES feels just right as someone who has been playing these games since the beginning when they were called ISS.

philm87

It's over 741 at the moment but that's just with the 9 games played. On myclub I'm sitting at 749 with over 20 games played.

This version of PES feels just right as someone who has been playing these games since the beginning when they were called ISS.

I'm only on 600. Been a fifa player mostly since 2013, was all PES and ISS back to the N64 before, but played both last couple of years. Can win the top division on Fifa fairly comfortably so enjoy having more of a challenge in PES. Glad PES is really getting back on track. I made it to the quarter final of a national tournament for one of the Xbox 360 versions of PES before they tried to change it too dramatically, want to get back to that level!

Jack cw

They don't. I went back to the demo after reading what people were saying and it's pretty much the same game. All in their heads.

Fake News.
AI is definitely tweaked towards less faults and there is at least one unstoppable attack in every game so far. Played 10 matches on Superstar and the difference in difficulty is totally noticeable. Possession stats alone clearly shows it. While I have mostly over 50% in the demo, but only 30-35% in retail code. Same goes for completed passes and shots on target. Same teams, same settings, same tactics and formation. I prefer the challenge, but not at the cost of cheap AI tweaks.

philm87

Fake News.
AI is definitely tweaked towards less faults and there is at least one unstoppable attack in every game so far. Played 10 matches on Superstar and the difference in difficulty is totally noticeable. Possession stats alone clearly shows it. While I have mostly over 50% in the demo, but only 30-35% in retail code. Same goes for completed passes and shots on target. Same teams, same settings, same tactics and formation. I prefer the challenge, but not at the cost of cheap AI tweaks.

Maybe you're just not good? :p

Tweak your tactics to get more possession if that's the issue!

Okada

I'm yet to be beaten in online divisions and I'm averaging over 60% possession in my games. I've averaged 3 goals for and 0.38 against so far in 9 games (won 7 drawn 2) so it's working for me.

*shrugs*

Oh it's not a case of losing. I've only lost one game out of 10 online and that went to penalties. It doesn't stop the issue being there if someone knows to exploit it.

I also average much higher possession usually but all it takes is for the opponent to know that you can spam through balls then it just becomes an almost stressful match of making sure you always switch to the cb's early to get as deep as possible.

Malcolm9

They massively improved the AI in Fifa 17, plays great against the computer. I'd probably say it's more advanced in Fifa than PES.

The AI in FIFA has never been that great, it just responds to your button/control inputs more often than not which makes it feel robotic and predictable.

Think semi is basically manual. It says in the description for semi that it only changes automatically when in attack. Just need to get used to using the right stick to select players then it solves the problem. I do like that it indicates who the second player is now, massive help when you're calling a second defender to help.

this doesnt solve that issue for me its like if someone is behind the forward momentum you cant select them for some reason

Desmond

Do it. I'm loving it. May take a little while to get used to, but when you get into it you'll really enjoy it. Also look into downloading an option file to get all the proper teams and kits etc.

Is the PESWorld option file the recommended PS4 one?

pieface

anyone looking for 3v3 mates can join this discord https://discord.gg/enF6m6f

not sure what they are thinking with the 3v3 tho, why can you play with 1 or 2 users and use myclub teams? dont like that, also no manual force for matchmaking

Yeah 3v3 is dumb. Not being able to choose the team you play as for couch co-op 3v3 is the icing on the shitcake.

The whole thing needs a complete overhaul. For a brand new feature, they've given it no thought at all.

- In couch co-op allow users to choose the team they want to play as. It's part of the fun of getting your buddies together.
- In couch co-op have filters to force you to play against other users with guests
- In couch co-op have filters that force you to play against teams of a similar level (1*, 2*, 3* etc... )
- In 3v3 co-op, have filters that force you to play against teams of similar level. Playing as a 3* team is no fun when playing against Barcelona.
- In 3v3 co-op have filters that force good network connections
- In 3v3 co-op have filters that allow you to choose if you want to play 2v2 or 3v3.
- In 3v3 mode remove the ability to join solo and play with the CPU against 3 real players. CPU should not be involved at all. No one wants to play against the CPU online.
- Allow you to change a teams tactics and formation BEFORE going into matchmaking and save it to the cloud. This will stop the need to constantly keep changing things.
- Remove the idiotic decision to allow Myclub teams to play against normal teams in 3v3. The amount of times I was playing Aston Villa vs Superstar team was stupid.

That's just off the top of my head. It's shit.

Not Drake

I was generally in the FIFA team, but after trying demo for FIFA 18 and PES 18 I might as well switch for a year. I have one question regarding OF. Is there anything it would actually block? Multiplayer, trophies?

philm87

I was generally in the FIFA team, but after trying demo for FIFA 18 and PES 18 I might as well switch for a year. I have one question regarding OF. Is there anything it would actually block? Multiplayer, trophies?

Doesn't block anything. Think of it like a skin in terms of multiplayer, just effects what you see on your screen.

Only things you can't do in multiplayer with the option file are things like added teams, i.e. you still can't play as Bayern Munich or any other completely missing teams in multiplayer.

The game is not horrible. Re-evaluate the way you are approaching things. If you're doing it, stop trying to rush towards the goal at every opportunity, it's not a race to score a goal from the first moment you get possession, be patient. If you see the opposition has 11 players behind the ball and are packing the middle of the pitch either recycle the ball or change your tactics to hug the touchline and start switching the play to create spaces.

This years game rewards possession and stops people who think they can aimlessly spam crosses and throughballs from succeeding at higher levels.

Evo Web's review highlights some of my issues with it. I play a possession game by the way, no spamming crosses and through balls.

https://youtu.be/3DHN54L5FdY

Desmond

Is this only retailing for 50 quid? Euros that is. That's how much the premium edition was. What's different in that version except for the boxart (no Neymar on my cover)?

Jack cw

Maybe you're just not good? :p

Tweak your tactics to get more possession if that's the issue!

Pls. This isn't a Souls game...
I played games back to back on the demo and retail with the exact same settings, formations and highest difficulty.
There is a huge difference between holding the ball and the chance to intercept balls or win them in tackles in normal gameplay. The CPU does simply play without flaws, so no "tactics" can make up for AI routines that are "cheating" by the computer. Same goes for the infamous unstoppable crosses and passes that you simply can't defend. They even added the last minutes goals after corners and even a low tier player hits every free kick into the net on superstar or legendary. The AI is toned down in demo. I played the demo a lot on higher difficulties just to test it and now after 30 games on the retail code I even tried to copy everything to have the same conditions like in the demo and the result is not placebo. I know why Konami does this and EA too, but it's always funny to see that even clubs with one star rating play like Barca at their prime on the highest difficulties.

Sizzle55

I am leaning towards PES after the demo, any opinions on the Xbox one version? Seems like everyone here has it on either PC or PS4 is that mainly because of the file options? Can you not download kits/rosters for Xbox? Thanks guys

Yaari

I am leaning towards PES after the demo, any opinions on the Xbox one version? Seems like everyone here has it on either PC or PS4 is that mainly because of the file options? Can you not download kits/rosters for Xbox? Thanks guys

Yeah that is not possible for Xbox from my understanding.

I think I'm going to get FIFA for my online gaming. I can't handle having to wait minutes for each of my matchups.

I was most excited for MyClub but that mode is unplayable when you have to wait that long for matchups.

PaulLFC

Unfortunately not. MS restrictions prevent the game loading the files needed for OFs to work. If you care about accurate kits and team logos, don't buy the XB1 version.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Marketing. First impression is extremely important. So they do basically tone down AI in order to give the player control and an illusion of freedom to build the game that makes even amateurs play like Real, Barca or Bayern. The final game (in PES case) is tweaked towards CPU having unstoppable attacks on higher difficulties and the AI basically makes no mistakes. EA introduced CPU sliders but after 3 years of trying different sliders they either worsen things or even break the game.

I love sliders, wish PES would add them

I also love the AI in the fifa demo, they play much better

Lux R7

Pls. This isn't a Souls game...
I played games back to back on the demo and retail with the exact same settings, formations and highest difficulty.
There is a huge difference between holding the ball and the chance to intercept balls or win them in tackles in normal gameplay. The CPU does simply play without flaws, so no "tactics" can make up for AI routines that are "cheating" by the computer. Same goes for the infamous unstoppable crosses and passes that you simply can't defend. They even added the last minutes goals after corners and even a low tier player hits every free kick into the net on superstar or legendary. The AI is toned down in demo. I played the demo a lot on higher difficulties just to test it and now after 30 games on the retail code I even tried to copy everything to have the same conditions like in the demo and the result is not placebo. I know why Konami does this and EA too, but it's always funny to see that even clubs with one star rating play like Barca at their prime on the highest difficulties.

The other user may have a point, now that i tweaked my tactics the cpu doesn't just cut through my defense line like before, i'm winning many matches and i only play on legend. However you are right when you say that the cpu plays basically flawless (at that difficulty). It's very challenging.

Jingo

Can someone please advise me on a good option file for the ps4? Ive never done this , im a total noob on this matter:)

Desmond

Can someone please advise me on a good option file for the ps4? Ive never done this , im a total noob on this matter:)
I'm using the one someone linked above.

To anyone who's added the PESGaming one I'm wondering if there is a reason there are two of every file? The second files won't import and just fail.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Don't know if its because I'm sat closer to it or what, but I've played this on my 4k TV and my 1080p G-SYNC 144fps monitor and I much prefer the monitor.

Maybe it's because of the fps jump from 60? But I can't really tell a difference in graphics.

Champloo4

Thanks. I will take another look, perhaps I overlooked him.

Still do not have Bolt. I have done everything possible. Even tweeted Bhatti and PES (cordially). No luck, no Usain Bolt for me I guess. Not the end of the world as I did get all of the other bonuses from the Legendary edition.

Don't really know what to do at this point.

Game is excellent though.

philm87

I'm using the one someone linked above.

To anyone who's added the PESGaming one I'm wondering if there is a reason there are two of every file? The second files won't import and just fail.

Not sure. I've just downloaded the Zip and there's only one of each file. Did you follow the instructions on the forum?

1. LIVE Update in PES18 Main Menu, save
2. Copy my WEPES folder to your USB
3. Import all teams except the ones woth "NT-" and "GER1-" and select "overwrite existing images" (or something)
4. Afterwards, import all teams with "NT-" and "GER1-" select "Use Player and squad data" AND "overwrite images"
5. Import all Competitions!
6. SAVE, and play

Bumhead

Banned
Evo Web's review highlights some of my issues with it. I play a possession game by the way, no spamming crosses and through balls.

https://youtu.be/3DHN54L5FdY

Really interesting that his first point there is one that's been discussed within the last page or so on here.

This thing about PES capturing different play styles and the AI being so convincing and enjoyable to play against is NOT the case in PES 2018. It absolutely has been but it's definitely lost here. Incredibly disappointing.

T-Rex.

Banned
I am so dumb. All weekend I've been complaining about weird input lag on PC and it turns out that adding the option file for the kits etc changed the PES settings back to default so it defaulted to 30fps and < 1080p and that's what was causing it.

philm87

What's the process of overwriting an existing option file with an updated one? Do you just download the live update again or is there a way to delete the edited data?

Desmond

Is it complete enough to be able to start an ML? I also have the issue that my USB stick is too big to fit into the front ports and it's a hassle having to spin the PS4 around in the unit to get to the back ports so trying to cut down the amount of installs I'll need to do.
Yeah it is! I think there's an optional four teams that aren't in it from the Champions League.

I can confirm that each user on the system has to load the option file themselves. Makes sense I guess.

dsk1210

I am so dumb. All weekend I've been complaining about weird input lag on PC and it turns out that adding the option file for the kits etc changed the PES settings back to default so it defaulted to 30fps and < 1080p and that's what was causing it.

I did something similar, was playing for about half a game before realising the option file had changed my settings to fifa controls, I wondered why I was not sprinting and missing shots by miles.

Finding defending really hard on this year's version and the change player setup is fucking weird. Love the pace of the game though and online has been solid for me on PC after it went online eventually.

SephiZack

Bought the game on PC (last time I played PES or any football game was more than 5 years ago on PSP).

Tried playing myClub and I'm hooked. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm still enjoying it.

My first guaranteed Black Ball was Iniesta. Today I completed the Online competition challenge thing and in my Lvl.1 guaranteed Black Ball I found Neymar ;D

RAIDEN1

Out of the two links provided for the option files from PES gaming, which one provides the German teams (including Bayern Munich) as well as the premier league, la liga (real madrid) and the italian league (Juventus)?

Top Bottom