• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PETA calls for Warhammer fur clothing ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

PETA has asked Warhammer publisher Games Workshop to remove the depiction of characters wearing fur from its range of miniatures and games.

PETA, which has become well-known for its anti-fur campaigns involving celebrities and its calls for the humane treatment of animals both in reality and fiction, said that it had written to Games Workshop CEO Kevin Rountree to request a ban on the portrayal of fur clothing in the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 universes.

The move is likely to rile up some fans of the series who see the ethical treatment of animals in real life and the depiction of fur and animal suffering in fictional worlds as different, a stance that PETA acknowledged in a statement.

"From the mighty Leman Russ and Horus Lupercal to Chaos Warriors and the Sisters of Silence, Warhammer features an abundance of characters who wear what appear to be animal pelts, which just doesn't add up,” it said.

“These battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn't take any skill.

“Draping them in what looks to be a replica of a dead animal sends the message that wearing fur is acceptable – when, in fact, it has no more place in 2017 than it would in the year 40,000.”

Although it is yet to make a similar move into the tabletop industry, PETA has become a publisher of several video games dedicated to parodying famous titles such as Mario, Pokémon and Cooking Mama and promoting its pro-animal principles.

I refuse to call PETA a animal rights group when their main goal is money and killing animals.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Gotta be fun being part of PETA. When you don't kill animals in shelters you just sit around, skimming through magazines in hopes to find something with fur.

Why does PETA actually still exist? They are as far from animal rights activists as can be. Fuck these money grubbing, animal killing, limelight seeking assholes.

Vagabundo

Maybe they are wearing fake fur? I hope Games Workshop says that's true. That would be hilarious.

EDIT: The models in the article look badass.

Hypron

They're plastic miniatures, come the fuck on.

If you want to bring attention to something, talk about animal products used in their paint and paint brush ranges, not the models themselves.

Tubobutts

I thought I read the title of the thread wrong.

Truly the most horrible thing happening in Warhammer, fantasy or 40k, is that the little models are wearing fur.

Also the fur is fun to paint.

Nivash

Why does PETA actually still exist? They are as far from animal rights activists as can be. Fuck these money grubbing, animal killing, limelight seeking assholes.

Mainly because a lot of people don't look further than their name, I imagine, combined with their very high profile. "You're for animal rights, sweet! Here, have some money and my celebrity endorsement". The only reason they even do stupid shit like this is to stay in the headlines and in the public consciousness.

GeeTeeCee

Those poor Skaven.

EDIT: oh god this Lion must be pissed.

rGu8Um3.jpg

The Imperium of Man is depicted as a dystopian nightmare, and the Space Marines as arrogant, tribalistic superhuman killing machines. They aren't mean to be looked up to as role models.

Nevermind the forces of Chaos which are sociopathic demon-sympathizers who murder and pillage at the behest of living incarnations of mankind's worst aspects.

PETA stay dumb as hell.

These guys are extremists. They're no different than Radical Christians trying to ban Dungeons & Dragons because of "witchcraft" or whatever.

MrKaepora

“These battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn't take any skill.

“Draping them in what looks to be a replica of a dead animal sends the message that wearing fur is acceptable – when, in fact, it has no more place in 2017 than it would in the year 40,000.”

These idiots clearly do not know a thing about Warhammer.

Have you eard of our Lord and saviour Khorne? He just wants your skull... for things.

Greddleok

If they'd just asked for a ban on Space Wolves, I'd have been ok. I never thought I'd say it, but there's such a thing as too much wolf.

I immediately move for a ban on the depiction of any machine in WH40K that runs on souls

You're going to have to clarify:

Which of the following do you want the depiction of banned
1) Consumes unwilling souls for power
2) Consumes willing souls for power
3) Is enhanced / steered / piloted by willing souls
4) Is enhanced / steered / piloted by unwilling souls

Also please clarify if the souls being in question being subject to unspeakable agony in the process makes a difference.

Pinkuss

As a Vegan I think they do some good (they have questionable stuff like the killing at shelters and other issues as highlighted).

But this makes no sense, it's not real fur. I have faux leather Docs, a faux leather jacket, we eat meat analogues and various other things. If it's not causing genuine suffering then there are bigger things to go after..

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh, so I did read that thread title correctly. And yet, I'm still not sure I understand what I'm reading.

Mindwipe

GW should go back and say it's not fur, it's just hairy human flesh.

By having this discussion we are, of course, falling for their publicity stunt.

Who? PETA? The same PETA whose Facebook followers attacked me when I pointed out that one of their "Race horses being injected with steroids - Secret cameras catch cruelty in action!" videos contained a bunch of content from an equine influenza treatment news video? noooooooooo.

Fuck those people. I hear more stories about them killing animals than saving them, there's more they can do for animals than alter tabletop figurines and making a pokemon satire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom