• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PETA calls for Warhammer fur clothing ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienfan

As a Vegan I think they do some good (they have questionable stuff like the killing at shelters and other issues as highlighted).

But this makes no sense, it's not real fur. I have faux leather Docs, a faux leather jacket, we eat meat analogues and various other things. If it's not causing genuine suffering then there are bigger things to go after..

Don't all animal shelters do that? They keep the animals for as long as they can. It's unfair to expect them to keep all the unwanted animals, it's financially impossible.

Pinkuss

Don't all animal shelters do that? They keep the animals for as long as they can. It's unfair to expect them to keep all the unwanted animals, it's financially impossible.

Some do some don't, I know of a few around here which have lifers that they can't rehome. To be honest I haven't really done much research on PETA as I mainly support local things, I just know they promote Vegan issues but are criticised for the policies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
As a Vegan I think they do some good (they have questionable stuff like the killing at shelters and other issues as highlighted).

But this makes no sense, it's not real fur. I have faux leather Docs, a faux leather jacket, we eat meat analogues and various other things. If it's not causing genuine suffering then there are bigger things to go after..

Yeah, let's call killing animals in shelters "questionable". That's a good way to describe it.

Pinkuss

Yeah, let's call killing animals in shelters "questionable". That's a good way to describe it.

Oh pick on my badly wording things. It's not acceptable and they should be called out better? As stated I support local charities and no-kill places and I don't really follow PETA; all my pets have been from those (or rescued from abusive homes).

Joni

No, there are shelters that don't kill animals and there are shelters that don't do it as happily as them. PETA is proud that they kill so many animals. We usually call people like that sociopaths.
They don't keep the animals as long as they can, otherwise their numbers wouldn't be skewed as 99% kills and 1% adoptions.
It is also not financially impossible when you generate so much in donations. It just means you make less profit.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/05/pets-shelter-euthanization-rate_n_6612490.html

Nordicus

0dH9hAl.gif

Grassy

What a bunch of wankers. What's next, trying to ban Rockstar from using hunting as a game mechanic in Red Dead Redemption 2?

Dehnus

Link.

I refuse to call PETA a animal rights group when their main goal is money and killing animals.

PETA is more about getting attention, than really doing something for the environment.

For instance their stance on wool. They will show you the worst of the worst from Australia (which is true, they mistreat sheep), and recommend plastic products instead. Forgetting that Plastic does A LOT more harm to animals and the environment than any wool product. I agree that fur as a fashion product should be banned. But Fur for the Inuit should be allowed and cherished.

I do have leather boots (combat boots), and after many discussions about it with PETA followers within the organisation that I volunteer for, I have simply given up on these followers. They rather wear plastic, or even hemp based plastic (the latter is still the same molecule and thus plastic) even if it harms the environment and animals at large. Even though I'm a vegetarian (not a VEGAN, I have a high intolerance to beans and simply cannot live on a Vegan diet :( ), I have no problem with someone that lives of the land, kills an animal and uses the whole animal for food, clothes and other products. Especially if the animal had a good life.

That is a major difference with Factory farming and Fur for the Fashion industry. But a PETA VEGAN (very different from an actual Vegan, who often are sweet and kind people, not at all like the PETA VEGAN), will assault you over your fair trade and locally produced combat boots (which are often made in the country were that army is from, or from a friendly nation close by) while they wear slave labour produced Nike's filled to the brim with Plastic and PTFEs. :(

And let us not even begin about the animals they have put to sleep over the years, after kidnapping them from their families or their stance on insulin :(.

I sometimes feel that PETA is made by some jerks to make all environmental activists look bad :(. But nope....that's how they are.

Dehnus

There are plenty of no-kill shelters, they have strategies to get around needing to use euthanasia. The fact that PETA doesn't shows how little they actually care.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-kill_shelter

PETA even kidnapped Animals from their families to euthanise. They are a "brand" and does want attention. They, together with their seabranche "Sea Shepherd" attack other environmental organisations all the time. They are just bullies.

23qwerty

PETA's kill rate is quite possibly 98%, doubt there are many if any other 'shelters' with a kill rate that high

German shelters actually keep animals indefinitely. Sure, they don't have much money to spare, but they make due, that's their purpose after all.

Maybe that's something PETA should try for a change too rather than spending money and time on stuff like this.
Organizations claiming to protect animals and then kill them on masse rather than make less profit have a special place in hell reserved for them.
If the furs of the euthanized animals were actually used their deaths would at least not be entirely pointless, talk about hypocrisy.

Also obligatory FOR RUSS AND THE ALLFATHER!

The move is likely to rile up some fans of the series who see the ethical treatment of animals in real life and the depiction of fur and animal suffering in fictional worlds as different

Hilarious. How are there other people?...

Don't give PETA clicks or attention - there are many other animal welfare charities that you can support instead that are not extremists.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is ludicrous as usual, but I'm sure they're also doing a ton to fight the changes to the EPA that will impact all kinds of animal species. Right?

Right?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's actually kind of refreshing to have peta still being made up of idiotic fuckwads. Like an old pair of jeans that just slip on super easy.

scamander

Banned

There are entire countries that don't kill animals in animals shelters. It's financially possible by fostering a sense of responsibility within the population, so that less animals even end up in animal shelters. Start by banning pet shops and campaign against gifting animals to others (especially to kids).

Beartruck

I...what? Its not even real fur, its a pewter figurine. People like this illegitimize real animal suffering. Jackasses.

PETA behind killings of all Stark characters in Game of Thrones to date confirmed.

Connect the dots people.

They're probably holding Leman Russ hostage too.

I had to read the post title twice before coming in here and I still don't believe what I'm reading!?
pretty much

---

They probably know what they are doing. They have been targeting nerd entertainment for a while because they know they generate the biggest internet backlash in proportion to what was said, and that's just free publicity. Hoping that in the end it comes down for the general public as "hey look at these nerds overreacting, and hey that name PETA comes up again"

“These battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn't take any skill.

Oh yeah, what does PETA know about fighting Fenrizian wolfs?

Busty

Banned
In what world are the real ale drinking, bearded Game Workshop fans going to be so influenced by a game of Warhammer that they go out and buy a fur coat?!

C'mon.

Well, I can see where PETA is coming from here, I mean if there's one thing I know about me and my Warhammer buddies; is that we like to slide into our snakeskin boots, rock our mink coats, and snap a kittens neck, all before we get ready for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom