• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

zGFU1.jpg

this is Koffee's MAG quest, right? What is this telling me?And why can't I start it?

RoyalFool

Banned
I've gotten this twice after very little progress. Unfortunately I don't know how to read the error to "do what it says". When I restart the download, it starts over from the beginning.

"Download of latest version failed. Please wait a while and try connecting again."

Coxy

it's already been completed and turned in, equip the mage by selecting the third option on the item pack menu, then 3rd option on the mag, first option on the mag is to feed it

UrbanRats

I did a couple of missions in solo, just to get my head around the basic controls and mechanics.
A very nostalgic game, i have to say (which is good, in this case).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yea, that's why I hate it. In PSO you had one from the start, and I'm pretty sure that's true for PS0 (though it's been a while since I played that).
Given how complicated this game feels at the beginning, they really shouldn't introduce any more features from the get go. Getting a Mag a few hours in, when you're familiar with the basic mechanics isn't so bad.
Seems to be. You can feed your MAG the usual items and also feeding them equipment also gives them stats. The stats seem a bit more involved for PSO2, plus they are planning to make them more useful when you have trained them.
If you get your mag to level 30 it evolves, and you get a skill that you can equip to the bar where the items are. Look at the last screenshot in my previous post to see how it looks like (it's the white thing). Also it's the same thing that Zeno (the red haired dude) is using in the tutorial quest to clear all the enemies at once.
Currently only 4 MAG's you can evolve into but I am sure they plan to have all the weird stuff down the line.
If I'm not mistaken, they've added another 4 evolutions already, but since they're just "second" evolutions of the current Mags, I don't know if we should count them.
Is it 'safe' to use prize codes from pre open beta right now?
It's safe and you will have to enter them again in the retail iirc (aside from the FUN code, I guess?).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You can buy Resta Lv.1 from the disc shop, but both of you need to be premium members to trade.
Yeah, sadly this is one of the premium features that they didn't give to all the players for the OB.

There SHOULD be an option to throw the item on the ground during quests, but when I tried that with Twentytwo, I've got a "this item can't be placed here" error. I wanted to throw away a skill disc btw.

Yeah, sadly this is one of the premium features that they didn't give to all the players for the OB.

There SHOULD be an option to throw the item on the ground during quests, but when I tried that with Twentytwo, I've got a "this item can't be placed here" error. I wanted to throw away a skill disc btw.

Yeah, it seems that only item consumables like mates can be dropped on the ground. I tried dropping weapons and stuff for another player, but no go.

I'm still trying to figure out friend and party requests. And trying to unlock the Caves. I am, unfortunately, stuck on ship 10 (I'm too invested into my character now to just delete and start from scratch) and not many people wanted to join my team.

Emitan

Looks like I can specialize in Fire, Ice, or Lightning. I love electricity attacks but I can't even figure out where to buy any of it!

EDIT: never mind found it!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Maintenance time changed from 12:00-14:00 to 13:00-16:00 JST. (Starts in one hour)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Had two great desert quest runs with Aegae. Feels so good to finally unlock another area and it's the hard mode next!
Desert questing screenshots added to the folder:
Leveling Mag with proper items isn't so terrible and I think I might be able to get to the second evolution (lv. 50) today.

As for the hard mode, you get the CO from Coffee on level 17 and you then need to kill the free exploration bosses from all 3 zones - Forest, Volcano and Desert.
Got 4 Rock Bear kills in 20 minutes but I don't even want to think about that volcano dragon...

The maintenance has started and is planned to end in 3 hours.

Emitan

Is there a big difference between Fire, Ice, and Lightning magic or are they just doing damage with different spells? Can't read the skill tree.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a big difference between Fire, Ice, and Lightning magic or are they just doing damage with different spells? Can't read the skill tree.
They can inflict different statuses - Ice magic freezes enemies, Fire inflicts a burning DOT and lightning can make them paralyzed.

But otherwise they are the same, right? Think I'm going to go down the Lightning tree.

There are some high level elements that I haven't gotten yet but so far the fire explosion spell gives the highest overall damage that I've seen and is easy to hit with. Also has a great Area of Effect spell and the standard fireball(although its silly to use that with the other magic hitting instantly). Also all dark enemies are weak to fire which are in every level.

Ice however is hard to work with as hardest hitting one travels the ground and PSO2 is anything but completely flat outside boss battles. It has two area hitting moves and is great when you have tons of enemies around you, freezing them in place and preventing you from getting hit.

Using the Thunder bolt move is great with its high instant damage. Chain lighting is great as well. It seems a little picky when it wants to chain though and goes up in chains as you level the power up it seems. I tried the thunder umbrella type move and its an AOE around your body that doesn't have much range, it seems like something that would work better using the "Card" weapon and tossing the spell at enemies.

I hope these blocks of text help?

How do you unlock Matter Board 2? I've completed 100% on the 1st one but I can't seem to find the npc by the fountain that gave me the 1st one.

Haven't unlock Desert yet, still trying to complete cave boss S rank under 20 mins. There's no way to do it with three npc. So worthless.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How do you unlock Matter Board 2? I've completed 100% on the 1st one but I can't seem to find the npc by the fountain that gave me the 1st one.

Haven't unlock Desert yet, still trying to complete cave boss S rank under 20 mins. There's no way to do it with three npc. So worthless.
You have to do the first story mission and go right after the ambush. It will unlock a new part of that quest and you'll get the second matter board in the shopping area afterwards iirc.

Decided to get on before the maint since it had been pushed back an hour... and logged in just in time to experience a literally 5 minute lag spike. The game pretty much ceased to exist for those 5 minutes.

At least I was able to get the Mag client order over and done with before the maint started - with literally a minute to spare.

Yes they do! Can you explain the card weapon? Just got it and I'm not really sure how it works.

Basically, a thrown card can be used as a proxy for yourself when casting - if you have a card thrown and start casting a tech, the tech will be cast from the card's position instead of your own. The neatest thing about this is being able to use spells which are area of effect around where they are cast at a distance - both offensive techs like Gifoie or Gibarta, or defensive techs like Resta and Shifta.

Card weapons are also much more convenient for dealing regular damage with (which regenerates PP).

Spazznid

For those of you in the beta, how do you think this will work on the Vita? Would any of you prefer to play it that way?

After beating MGS2, Wipeout 2048, and playing Gravity Daze. I can safely see myself buying this day 1 for vita. It can definitely handle the game and with the touch screen, the Monomates and whatnot are going to be easy to use. Also, I hear that you'll be able to use your pc-character on the vita version and play with pc players. If true, then this will just add to the diverse library of the Vita. I love my vita and playing this on it would be great IMO. I play the pc ver. with a controller and it works flawlessly sans the typing parts.

I just hope they keep the vita-only minigames and controls to a minimum...

Yes they do! Can you explain the card weapon? Just got it and I'm not really sure how it works.

Rabarta and Gizonde are the best AOE spells, truth.

I wish they had skill trees for the other elements. I managed to pick up a Lv.1 Grants from somewhere and it makes Dark Ragne totally free.

EDIT: While I'm at it, anybody know how Sazonde works? The one that electocutes them then appears to do absolutely nothing.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wired lances for life, word.

Yup, wired weapons are just too much fun. Spears are kinda neat too. I almost never find myself using my sword now. :p

And I finally got my mag, so yay! Time to grow it into something amazing. =D

Raide

I'm someone who's played the pre-beta version of a game that's in a language she can't understand. I think I'm on my way!

Also becomes seconds nature after a while. For me it is the perfect mix of sold-school and new-school. Cannot wait to play some more.

UrbanRats

I hope tonight i can play some more.
So if yesterday i understood this right, there is no way to go level up down on the world, without being on a quest, like you could do in the old PSO, right?

Emitan

I hope tonight i can play some more.
So if yesterday i understood this right, there is no way to go level up down on the world, without being on a quest, like you could do in the old PSO, right?

You unlock free questing or whatever after you complete all the quests in an area IIRC

Top Bottom