• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

On the subject of the English patch it may be important to add this to the topic:

The creator of the patch (Agrajag) said that he plans for there to be an English patch release for the Open Beta but didn't bother with the pre-open beta due to the lack of time. The problem is that the old format used with the English patch was cut off due to the fact that it shouldn't have even been supported by the client in the first place. This means that a new encrypted format must be cracked for it to work with the open beta, but if it can be cracked it means that the English Patch will be working.

To answer some questions:

Is this 24/7 kind of deal?, I sure hope so, those 5 hours playtime last beta ended too quick!
Yes! This will be running online 24 hours a day minus the possible maintenance if anything goes wrong. However, if it did there's a possibility that the beta would be extended like it has been in the past with Alpha 2 and Closed Beta.

So...I grabbed a Sega ID, all we do now is wait till the 21st or is there a client that can be preloaded now?
Yes, just click on this link and click the first image to start the downloader:
http://pso2.jp/players/download/

This will download the Pre-Open Beta client, that will work fine on the Open Beta. Keep in mind that you will need to update the client if any updates are released before the Open Beta, this can be done by clicking the third option on the launcher.

Oh wow this is great news! :D I really can't wait for the Thursday now, I played the first day of the pre-OpenBeta and I can still say this is the only MMO I will play for years to come and I tried many of them. My only gripe is that the developing a English patch for the OpenBeta seems to have quite some trouble, I don't even need the English patch actually but it added a nice sense of security. I really appreciate all the work Agrajag does, so hopefully it won't be too much of a bother for him/her.

But anyway I look forward to see everyone ingame! :)

ezodagrom

Nice video, you play pretty good. I'll just suggest one thing. Lock onto the weak point of the dark monster. I'm not sure if other enemies that have glowing red parts of their take more damage this way.

Huh, I never saw quicksand holes. Cool.
I usually don't have problems with the big darker enemies (the ones with a weak point in the back), but at one point of the video I started to accidentally dodge. This is the only problem I have with the keyboard/mouse controls, double tapping WASD works as a dodge, which results in occasional accidental dodging.

Huh. I'm not in either one of those pictures...Oh, I'm right out of view on the second one. About when was the first one taken?

I guess there was that many people that it couldn't even show that all of them were even there.

What was your name there?

I have some more (ugly) screenshots.

wwm0nkey

What will the microtransactions entail? Just cosmetics or things that also affect gameplay?

XP boosts and Room access as well as cosmetic items. You will NOT be able to buy ultra powerful weapons so nothing game breaking and everyone gets to experience PSO2 in the best way possible.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I need to redownload the game since I formatted to the RC of Win 8. I also need to remember my password and stuff from the alpha test. Hmmmm

Cmagus

XP boosts and Room access as well as cosmetic items. You will NOT be able to buy ultra powerful weapons so nothing game breaking and everyone gets to experience PSO2 in the best way possible.

So you have to pay to have rooms or are there better ones you could upgrade to?

Cmagus

Rooms are more like personal spaces that you can design and invite friends over for.

Yeah I know and I really liked them in PSU I was just wondering is there like a base room you can get or is it mandatory to pay for any kind of access just curious.

I really want to play this but I have way too much on my plate right now to dedicate some time to setting up the client, making a japanese sega account (I do have american and uk already) and then time to play, so I will wait for release or a real english version before I dip my toes.

I want plenty of twitch.tv streams from you all to monster, however.

ezodagrom

Yeah I know and I really liked them in PSU I was just wondering is there like a base room you can get or is it mandatory to pay for any kind of access just curious.
Yeah, rooms are only accessible through the cash shop, and it's a monthly subscription.
Being able to trade with other players, creating your own player shop, that's only available through a subscription as well.

ezodagrom

I might willingly spend money on this. I just got to know for sure if a US release is confirmed or denied.
While an english version hasn't been announced, it's highly unlikely there won't be an english version of PSO2.

If anything I would be more worried about how SEGA of America will handle this game, they did a pretty bad job handling the english versions of PSO and PSU.

Some examples:
PSO Ep 1 & 2 (XBox): SoA stopped updating the game's content during the chistmas season, when the christmas lobbies were up. After the christmas season, the game never returned to the default lobbies, it stayed with the christmas lobbies until the eventual shutdown, which took over 2 years to happen (if I'm not mistaken it went from December 2005 until April 2008), this event is known as the eternal christmas (this one might have been more Microsoft's fault than SEGA's fault though).

PSO Blue Burst (PC), PSU (PC/PS2), PSU (XBox 360): In the case of these 3, they all were shutdown before all content was released.

PSO Blue Burst: Some quests, weapons and the Maximum Attack 4 event were never released.

PSU: When the game was released, it started with just a 2 months delay in updates compared to the Japanese version, but eventually the delay started getting bigger and bigger. By the time the PC/PS2 servers were shutdown, there was already a 1 year delay in updates. These were shutdown right before the 1st supplemental update arrived to the XBox 360 servers, where SoA used the excuse that the PC/PS2 servers shutdown would allow for faster updates in the XBox 360 servers (big lie).
After the PC/PS2 shutdown, the delay kept getting bigger for the updates (now the delay should be around 1 year and half), and SoA even started releasing reskins of old weapons instead of new weapons like the Japanese PC servers. The XBox 360 servers are being shutdown this September, and like in PSO Blue Burst and PSU PC/PS2, there's content that was released in PSU JP that will never be released in these servers.

Ainaurdur

I have avoided trying to get into any previous alphas or betas, keeping my hype at a minimum. Wanted to wait for word of official English release. But I can't hold back any more. Got my Sega ID and began the download.

I'll just see how far I get from here.

Basically, the best thing that could happen given prior mismanagement of the franchise is if Japan just handles everything. They're obviously aware of overseas interest in the game, especially since they bothered to patch it so the old translation patch wouldn't work. I get the feeling it's something that's being worked on, but isn't quite ready just yet.

Is there even enough staff left at SoA to handle operating an online game of this scale?

wwm0nkey

Basically, the best thing that could happen given prior mismanagement of the franchise is if Japan just handles everything. They're obviously aware of overseas interest in the game, especially since they bothered to patch it so the old translation patch wouldn't work. I get the feeling it's something that's being worked on, but isn't quite ready just yet.

Is there even enough staff left at SoA to handle operating an online game of this scale?

We already know they are working on something, the game has English credits which were hidden.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I remember how cheap PSU translation was, the text were fine, but all the character sound effect, such as well you resurrect someone, the character will say "thank you" in Japan. There are also other voices from other actions from you character, in the US version all the voices just replaced with "ahh" "yay" "hah" etc.

Did they ever announce PSO2 for US?

wwm0nkey

I remember how cheap PSU translation was, the text were fine, but all the character sound effect, such as well you resurrect someone, the character will say "thank you" in Japan. There are also other voices from other actions from you character, in the US version all the voices just replaced with "ahh" "yay" "hah" etc.

Did they ever announce PSO2 for US?

No official announcement on PSO2 for EU/US and I wouldnt expect one until PSO2 is out in Japan. I would expect an announcement soon after that though.

Blueblur1

Orayn

How much stuff can I expect the inevitable English patch to translate? I want to get into this, but I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to play a lot if the translation is patchy.

Sega will probably announce the game after the PSU servers shut down in September. It makes the most sense and it jives with the rumored Winter release from another anonymous 4chan user claiming to be a Sega employee. It is definitely coming. The English Phantasy Star Twitter account has started tweeting daily after 6 months of inactivity and it's teasing something which is probably a PSO 2 announcement. I'm sure that announcement won't come for months though.

SEGA-related leaks from 4chan are some of the only 4chan leaks that you can take seriously. There are several cases where that employee has called important stuff well in advance.

wwm0nkey

Sega will probably announce the game after the PSU servers shut down in September. It makes the most sense and it jives with the rumored Winter release from another anonymous 4chan user claiming to be a Sega employee. It is definitely coming. The English Phantasy Star Twitter account has started tweeting daily after 6 months of inactivity and it's teasing something which is probably a PSO 2 announcement. I'm sure that announcement won't come for months though.

Also the PSU closure announcement and forum mods seemed to have been hinting at something new will happen due to this closure, they are probably referring to PSO2 as it seems like they are talking about a game.

I really hope it hits consoles in the EU/US too but that would require Microsoft to not hate MMOs and F2P :/

How much stuff can I expect the inevitable English patch to translate? I want to get into this, but I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to play a lot if the translation is patchy.
The one in the closed beta had a very decent amount of stuff translated, so no worries.

iUgSL.jpg

Is there a guide somewhere that translates the PSO2 Sega PC Downloader seen above?

Just learn Japanese already, everyone

(Spent 3 years leaning the language, lived in kyoto, has Japanese girlfriend, barely understands any of PSO2)

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
So for someone who has never played any Phantasy Star games, but has heard the comparison a TON, how similar is this game to Monster Hunter?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So for someone who has never played any Phantasy Star games, but has heard the comparison a TON, how similar is this game to Monster Hunter?
Tougher battles require you to learn enemy patterns and there are various weapon types with different gameplay styles.
Not nearly as hardcore as MonHan though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Anyway, I have one question - was anyone able to use the Japanese IME from Google without a Japanese keyboard?
Microsoft IME is working fine, but I can't get the Google one to work. Wrote about this on the official forums and it seems that the Japanese players don't have this problem.

expel

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Anyway, I have one question - was anyone able to use the Japanese IME from Google without a Japanese keyboard?
Microsoft IME is working fine, but I can't get the Google one to work. Wrote about this on the official forums and it seems that the Japanese players don't have this problem.

Great op!
and no i don't have any problem typing Japanese without jpn k/b with google's IME

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What class/race combo is everyone going to play?

As much as I love my wizards in all (MMO)RPGs I play, Force doesn't seem that appealing to me in PSO2. For some reason this is the only online RPG where I'm going to go with a melee class and choose a Cast Hunter.
Weapon of choice? Easy, Wire Lances, which let me annoy the hell out of my party by constantly throwing enemies around.

Ainaurdur

What class/race combo is everyone going to play?

As much as I love my wizards in all (MMO)RPGs I play, Force doesn't seem that appealing to me in PSO2. For some reason this is the only online RPG where I'm going to go with a melee class and choose a Cast Hunter.
Weapon of choice? Easy, Wire Lances, which let me annoy the hell out of my party by constantly throwing enemies around.

Newman Male Hunter.

Not certain what weapons I will focus on yet, but I always loved using daggers in PSO on my HUnewearl.

I am sure I will also create a Cast Ranger to play on the side.

Top Bottom