• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

GHG

Gold Member

Friday Movie GIF

Mr.Phoenix

That's a cross gen game that doesn't even come close to the kind of scale and scope of Starfield.

Bad example.

If you want a better example, look at the FF16 demo, the performance mode has lots of drops, even the Graphics mode drops to 20s.
Just stop man...

You gave an example using APT.. that isn't even an open world. You were countered with HFW, that not only is open-world, but looks and performs better than APT.

Then now you are talking about it being cross-gen? What has that got to do with anything? Is it open word or isn't it? Does it look better or doesn't it? You talk this stuff about cross-gen shit when in truth you should know better... don't game engines scale?

What is the most technically innovative and demanding game on the market right now across consoles and PC? Yup... if you guessed right, you would find that it's a cross-gen game too.

Just stop moving posts.... its a bad look.

recursive

Cyberpunk 30 fps on Series X is stutter mess. On Oled at least. Doesn’t give me much hope that Starfield will be smooth on Oled.
30 fps isn't smooth on anything. I will be playing this on pc. I wonder if the physics engine will mess up if you unlock the 60fps cap?

That is the dumbest thing I have heard. If the hardware could run it at 60 then it would. It is creative choice in that it was 30 or a graphically downgraded version but of course they would have both if they could.

midnightAI

It's the same game / engine just with cloudier clouds lol, they didn't change the game engines or make the world or mechanics any more complex.
Ignoring the rest of the posts, why on earth would they change the game engine? It's not the game engine (as such) that determines if a game is next gen or not. Their next game will be PS5 only, Death Stranding 2 will be PS5 only, both will be running on Decima.

(And actually, they did make the world and mechanics more complex for the DLC, the boss fight alone is something the PS4 couldn't do at any reasonable framerate + resolution, same goes for the cloud rendering you are hand waving away)

recursive

Pretty sure what they meant is that they aimed for a graphic fidelity that would allow to operate at 30 fps. Targeting 60fps would have likely meant a downgrade in graphics. Obviously, this will not affect PC.

At least, that was how I interrupted it.
I interpreted it to be more to do with holding the resolutions.

mrqs

And starfield was made with a ~30 year old game engine that has been upgraded countless times. The Xsx prototype hardware didn't even exist when they started working on this game. Let's stop with the bullshit excuses please.
Wait and see. In 3 years most first party exclusives won't have a 60fps mode, only on hypothetical "pro" consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Your fanboyism truly knows no bounds, I salute you.

The second Sony release a first party title with no performance mode on machines with these specs, I will hold them to the same account.

I understand this is a huge world but the excuses are coming thick and fast for this generation again.
And watch him dog the game and not rest on the "creative choice" narrative.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In all fairness, the game looks very interesting and fun to play. But statements like this by Phil just doesn't help the game.

Also, I don't care, it had to have a 60 FPS option. Look at this negative PR now, despite a very good Starfield showing. It is almost like they didn't learn from Redfall. Give a 60 FPS option at launch, drop the resolution to 1080p and lower the visual settings if you want, but give people the choice.

More importantly, don't defend the stupidity by calling it a "creative choice." You're insulting gamers by spinning it like that as if they can't smell the bullshit, and that won't fly well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Then now you are talking about it being cross-gen? What has that got to do with anything?

Confused Look To God GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I understand this is a huge world but the excuses are coming thick and fast for this generation again.

And watch him dog the game and not rest on the "creative choice" narrative.

I'm not sure what excuses you guys are talking about, the creators of the game have said it's a deliberate choice in favor of fidelity.

Obviously on powerful PC rigs that choice isn't an issue.

Mr.Phoenix

Too right mate. Any time Phil says something, the counter-attacks are always ready in seconds. :pie_thinking:
You gotta admit the guy does say a ot of needless stupid shit.

We aren't stupid. If they could get the game running at 60fps, they would have. They couldn't... and that's ok. A locked 30fps is better than trying to hit 60 and not making that work.

To come out and say, it's not a technical issue its a creative one, is basically insulting the intelligence of everyone that hears that.

The only way they could accommodate their creative vision for the game, was to technically adjust the game to run at 30fps on consoles. Don't come and spin some BS about it not being a hardware issue. So when more powerful hardware on PC runs this at 60fps+... does that mean that creative vision is broken?

Cant even believe this is a conversation.

Yet you post a screenshot comparing to games that don't have the same scale and scope

Both starfield and Horizon are openworld
Starfield even has loading times by landing in the planet and entering planets

The problem here is hardware limitations or Bethesda don't want to spend time optimizing
They been "optimizing" for more than a year, .... I think MS made the call: Whe can delay it anymore, bring it out, 30fps it is.. But whe will spin the comment like: "Its a creative Choice" and most people will except it.😉

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Good.

The people who bitch about 30fps would prefer the game look like the top image, just so it could be 60fps.

Normal people are happy with the locked 4K30fps decision. It will be an objectively superior experience because of it.
I think 8k 15 fps would be objectively the better experience.. in fact 16k and slides would be the better one ... because I alone of course can define what its objectively better ...

Dunnas

doesn't matter if the game is current gen or old gen stop trying to use that as an excuse

Digital foundry already said that the PS5 version of Horizon is the best looking game so far and the game has 30 fps and 60 fps mode without a problem

Redfall had both too but they decided to delay it and it'a current gen only game

Starfield if they want they can put a 60 fps mode without problems
Well offer your services to them. I'm sure they'll love to hire you if are that much of an expert and can get the game running at 60 fps on consoles with no problems.

I feel a bit silly telling you this since you are clearly such an expert and all, but PC/consoles have both GPUs and CPUs. Some games are really heavy on the CPU. If they are, just changing a few graphics settings and reducing the resolution probably isn't going to get you very far toward your easy stable 60 fps. That's ok though, you can just start stripping out features like NPC companions and object persistence and get rid of the GI to get it to 60 fps, because that certainly won't change the game or creative decisions in any way, right?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Well offer your services to them. I'm sure they'll love to hire you if are that much of an expert and can get the game running at 60 fps on consoles with no problems.

I feel a bit silly telling you this since you are clearly such an expert and all, but PC/consoles have both GPUs and CPUs. Some games are really heavy on the CPU. If they are, just changing a few graphics settings and reducing the resolution probably isn't going to get you very far toward your easy stable 60 fps. That's ok though, you can just start stripping out features like NPC companions and object persistence and get rid of the GI to get it to 60 fps, because that certainly won't change the game or creative decisions in any way, right?
That's why it's okay to say we made 30 fps only because we are hardware limited
Not creative choice excuses

Mr.Phoenix

For starfield, maybe. The game is huge.
As for others, I can't talk for them.
I dont know why people do this though...

Talk about the game being huge... I really can't wait till this game comes out and we see a 2080 running this game at 1080p@60fps+.

NickFire

Give a 60 FPS option at launch, drop the resolution to 1080p and lower the visual settings if you want, but give people the choice.
100% this, although not sure going all the way down to 1080 would be needed.

But what about the elephant in the room? As in, if X drops from 4k to xyz, where does 1440P drop down to on S?

The real issue seems clear as day IMO.

Neo_game

I do not mind 30 or 40fps game but the fact that they admit the game runs 60fps on certain condition means it has less to do with the fidelity and more to do with inconsistency, optimization.

Most powerful console shouldn’t proudly be touting 30fps. That should have died this gen.

Agreed, maybe if they push the graphics even harder then can get that frame rate down to 15fps...I really think 60fps needs to be the bare minimum this gen and going forward for both XSX and PS5, they could have easily done a 1440p/60 with this game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
100% this, although not sure going all the way down to 1080 would be needed.

But what about the elephant in the room? As in, if X drops from 4k to xyz, where does 1440P drop down to on S?

The real issue seems clear as day IMO.
They could skip the 60 FPS mode from Series S. Would be bad but not this bad.

Also, sidebar, but I don't think Series X will be native 4K. I think the average resolution hovers well below that, and that's why 1080p was not an option. For instance, if DRS minimum range is already 1200p or something for 30 FPS, then 1080p 60 FPS would not be possible.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
What do you want more A buggy 60 fps or smooth 30 fps?

Im just finished playing horizon forbidden west and ratchet and clank in 60 fps, and just started uncharted 4 (again) to play in 60 fps mode... and this games specially ratchet are fucking gorgeous, for me the fluidity of stable fast fps is leagues better than pixel count in a screenshot or some pretty lights .... so I agree that is a design choice *except for pc* but is a shitty one to make in 2023.

And im sure the xbox X is not the problem ... cant say this much about the series S, I could bet they could scale things down to the X but cant on the S.. and so for this stupidity parity we wont get to play on 60 fps. At least for now.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Well fuck me i'm still gonna play the inferior pc version at 60 frames.

MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh GEEET INNNN!

Bro, Bethesda games on PC are notoriously bad optimized. Try running a 2015 Fallout 4 at a rock solid, locked 60FPS. Shit’s not easy.

As long as I can drop a spoon on the ground on some random moon and it will still be there 500 hours of gameplay later, I’ll be happy. That’s why Bethesda games are so damn impressive.

feynoob

Gold Member
I dont know why people do this though...

Talk about the game being huge... I really can't wait till this game comes out and we see a 2080 running this game at 1080p@60fps+.
PC is different than consoles.
We have the luxury of changing the graphic settings unlike consoles.

Our pain arse is the port, which was not nice this year.

RickSanchez

Good grief, i hope atleast PCs are spared from this 'Creative' choice.

I basically just blew a month's salary on a new 4090.

Top Bottom