• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

Ar¢tos

Who mentioned anything about the CPU? We are talking about the engine that Bethesda uses. No idea if another engine will allow for object persistence and permanence as we don't see many games with the same design ambitions.
Object persistence has no more impact on cpu usage than static objects, it's no excuse for 30fps.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The problem with your statement is that Phil states that the 4K30 fps is a "Creative decision, not a hardware issue". If it's a creative decision, then it should be 30 fps on PCs as well. If it's runs higher than 30fps on PCs, then Phil Spencer is as much of a liar as Todd Howard.

He's saying it isn't a platform issue. Which it isn't. It's not an issue, it's a decision. He even references that other games run at 4k/60 on the platform, which is true.

But, with a static piece of $500 hardware with finite resources, the creative decision was made to prioritize scale, density, AI, systems, lighting, render distances, resolution, etc.. etc.. etc.. All considerations to be made when targeting 30fps vs 60fps on a fixed hardware spec.

I don't even know why I'm bothering in this thread. Ya'll are going to twist it to make it sound however you want it to sound.

Last edited:

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The problem with your statement is that Phil states that the 4K30 fps is a "Creative decision, not a hardware issue". If it's a creative decision, then it should be 30 fps on PCs as well. If it's runs higher than 30fps on PCs, then Phil Spencer is as much of a liar as Todd Howard.
That's not what he's saying at all though. He's not saying 30fps is better than 60fps, He's saying that given the hardware they're opting for locked 30fps vs a bouncy 30-60. That's the choice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont understand your last comment as it clashes with what Spencer said. The consoles aren't the problem as Spencer said, they chose not to have a 60fps version even though the consoles could output 60fps.
Yeah, Spencer's comment is what makes this all mental gymnastics.

What he really means, "we chose to have it locked at 30 because this game needs to ship on time, optimizations be damned."

If they ever make a 60fps mode well after release... "creative choice" is gonna be a hell of a phrase to spin out of.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fallout 4 was just a mediocre fps with shitty writing, no complicated systems or sandbox gameplay whatsoever, i need more than promises about those incredible systems after their last 2 games.

Possibly the worst main quest and writing in any RPG ever. Possibly! But. And it's a huge but. It's one of, if not my favourite exploration game ever. If Starfield is just that but on a galactic scale I'll be super happy. If it's a competent RPG, I'll be over the moon happy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I say to you all that have issues with this news, buy it on pc

Watching the deep dive again in 4k I don't see how they get this to locked 60fps on console. Maybe crazy cuts to foliage and draw distance, lighting and resolution with fsr?

Last edited:

Dunnas

You're wrong, Spencer said the consoles were powerful enough to handle 60fps.

The game is coming to the Series S so your fidelity comment is in ashes there. The Series X should be able to run 60fps at a better or at least par resolution than the Series S at 30fps.

Why would the PC get 60fps?
Handle 60 fps in other games. That is games that are not Starfield. It is not an issue with the hardware being incapable of playing games at 60 fps in general if the developer wants to target that.

God fucking damn, you people are all so stupid. The severe lack of any sort of comprehension abilities people have these days is mindblowing.

Lokaum D+

Uh Huh Yes GIF

bender

What time is it?
Object persistence has no more impact on cpu usage than static objects, it's no excuse for 30fps.

Again, I'm confused by your reply. My comment was in response to someone thinking switching engines would help Bethesda overcome their technical shortcomings. Obviously their engine can run at framerates above 30fps, even on consoles, but not on the same generation of console hardware as the game was released.

Ar¢tos

Again, I'm confused by your reply. My comment was in response to someone thinking switching engines would help Bethesda overcome their technical shortcomings. Obviously their engine can run at framerates above 30fps, even on consoles, but not on the same generation of console hardware as the game was released.
Because people are using it as excuse for 30fps.

hyperbertha

If by creative choice he means in order to include all the gameplay systems he needed to limit it to 30 fps on console I applaud it. 60 fps shouldn't come at the cost of gameplay advancement.

But if he means he chose 30 fps for the cinematic effect or what have you, I need to talk to phil. In person.

Yes. Bethesda decided to push the capabilities of the console's CPU. Tons of NPCs, Tons of dynamic objects, large varied environments, day/night cycle with weather, and a real time GI system so all of these dynamic objects don't look out of place in the environments.
Only issue with it will be when the recommended specs can run it at 60fps which are quite similar to XSX.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But its not about Todd, its about Phil. Lol. Phil spinning his PR wheel is the topic. You cant just change who this topic is about...

Phil and Todd are saying the same thing in the respective GB and Kotaku interviews though.

Only issue with it will be when the recommended specs can run it at 60fps which are quite similar to XSX.

Who can say, maybe they'll add a 60 FPS most post-launch. But this is what they're saying at this time as their decision.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The problem with your statement is that Phil states that the 4K30 fps is a "Creative choice, not a hardware issue". If it's a creative decision, then it should be 30 fps on PCs as well. If it's runs higher than 30fps on PCs, then Phil Spencer is as much of a liar as Todd Howard.
This is a simple matter of balancing current expected standards of graphical fidelity vs finite resources. Obviously a high end PC has more. so if a game is made for a less powerful platform the PC version doesn't have to be constrained to the same level. Why is this simple utterly logical concept so hard to understand..? It's almost like some of you don't want to..

A lot of people expected a 60fps console generation, but it was clear very early in the generation that it was completely unrealistic.

What "ruined" a flat common denominator 60fps was (indication, not scientifcally per se):

- After many lofty promises consoles are not as powerful afterall
- Open worlds trend
- Ray Tracing
- Industry and customer level gfx expectations (a certain base level of shaders / vfx).
- Trends, a mix of basically all of the above and more

Phil, don’t you know?
6VNTXhr.jpg

That reply was kinda ironic.. An example of the desperate need to latch on and not take any dynamic context into consideration.

Last edited:

MikeM

They could skip the 60 FPS mode from Series S. Would be bad but not this bad.

Also, sidebar, but I don't think Series X will be native 4K. I think the average resolution hovers well below that, and that's why 1080p was not an option. For instance, if DRS minimum range is already 1200p or something for 30 FPS, then 1080p 60 FPS would not be possible.
We don’t need 4k native. Upscalers work well to make up the difference. My 7900xt never sees native 4k.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Man ..

the topic: "it's a creative decision"
Todd "we want the full fidelity so we're locking it at 30"
adam "they've locked it deliberately to avoid a scaled back 60 FPS version"

I'm literally saying the same thing ... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Y'all just want my blood ..
Watching you squirm defending another ill-advised comment from Phil Spencer. At this stage, Xbox should have hired the Phil Spencer from Love it or List it.
If you believe this is true I have a bridge to sell you.
I'm just busting adamsapple adamsapple for defending a stupid comment. I know it and so does he.
Handle 60 fps in other games. That is games that are not Starfield. It is not an issue with the hardware being incapable of playing games at 60 fps in general if the developer wants to target that.

God fucking damn, you people are all so stupid. The severe lack of any sort of comprehension abilities people have these days is mindblowing.
mad people GIF

Elios83

Phil is back with what he does best lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a choice that is being forced by technical limitations.
They can't get the game run at 60fps in any way by just dropping resolution and details.
People will get 60fps on PC so it's precisely a console hardware issue that forced a choice.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing - you can technically call it a “creative choice” I guess - because they are CHOOSING to prioritize the visuals and lighting in this massive game with many systems at work -I’m speculating of course - but I assume with a game this massive and with real-time gi - it would require many sacrifices to make it work at 60 that they are unwilling to do.

Horizon looks amazing, especially the expansion - but lighting in that is not its strong suit and it has nowhere near this amount of stuff going on.

Fact is, the only reason this choice has to be made is because the series x, at three years old, is not capable of running it with satisfactory visuals at that framerate. It is what it is.

DryvBy

JackMcGunns

It's true though, when you start a project like Startfield or Skyrim on a closed platform, you choose a target framerate as part of the design from Day 1, the framerate or resolution is not something that just dawns on you. Starfield is expected to have the same run as Skyrim and needs to be ambitious enough that it will span across the Pro consoles and even next gen.

Liamario

Banned
Phil is back with what he does best lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a choice that is being forced by technical limitations.
They can't get the game run at 60fps in any way by just dropping resolution and details.
People will get 60fps on PC so it's precisely a console hardware issue that forced a choice.
Of course it is and if Phil Spencer had been honest, he'd just say. A 'creative choice' implies that they could have ran the game at 60fps if they wanted. I suspect they simply couldn't hit the target and they decided to target 30 fps instead.

Mr.Phoenix

the topic: "it's a creative decision"
Todd "we want the full fidelity so we're locking it at 30"
adam "they've locked it deliberately to avoid a scaled back 60 FPS version"

I'm literally saying the same thing ... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Y'all just want my blood ..
I am going to try and make this as simple as possible.

To say, this is a creative decision, not a hardware decision... means/suggests that the hardware is fully capable of running it at 60fps. But that they creatively, the same way you would creatively place textures or choose lighting.... set it at 30fps instead.

If you are setting it at 30fps because you CANNOT run it at a higher fps with any form of stability... then that is NOT a creative choice, its a hardware limitation.

• Fire
Reactions: GHG

Ev1L AuRoN

Thank god for PC. I'm intrigued by the game, it looked interesting, I intend to dust it off my gamepass subscription when it launches, hopefully my PC can push it beyond the 30fps limbo. Being Bethesda, if the game runs at a lock 30fps with proper frame-pacing, I will consider it a massive win. By the graphics showed so far I'm suspecting it is a CPU issue, I'm expecting the game to be somewhat easy to run on mid-end PC's. Of course, I might be wrong.

Horizon has flying and underwater exploration. Starfield doesn't even have that. Also, Starfield doesn't have big giant machines with destructible components that take a lot of CPU calculation and power!

(Am I doing it right? Totally ignoring that no 2 games will be alike in everything and one would be doing things differently than the other?)
No, you're doing it wrong, like I said I'm talking about a Broadway production vs a University production. One is doing things the other could only dream about.

That doesn't make any sense. Kinda makes you look stupid tbh.
That was the point. It's called sarcasm and he was using it to point out the BS in Phil's comments that the game runs at 30 because of creative decisions and not limitations of the hardware.

The facts are that the game, as designed, can't do 60 on the Series X and S. If it could, it would. And PC can, so it will. There's nothing creative about it.

The honest answer would have been, "we chose to limit it to 30, so we could do other stuff, that the consoles would not have otherwise been able to handle". He doesn't want to show that the consoles have limitations, so he's doing PR speak (in other words, BS-ing us).

Last edited:
Creative choice. Just say 30fps at launch but we will look into having a stable 60fps post launch. Its not fucking hard to spin it ffs.
Yeah, I am not so sure what the fuck was that statement. Why can't they just offer 4K30 on Series X with 1080/60 as another option??? Why is the Series X locked to 4K/30 makes 0 sense to me.

And wtf does a "creative" even mean? Honestly, he really shouldn't have used the word "creative" that just makes it sound way worse.

Gudji

OK, let's look at Horizon forbidden west as it seems like this is the go to game when discussing why Starfield should be 60fps. Its a pretty game on the face of it but there's very little going on under the hood. Starfield is a simulated living world, with many underlying systems. They're simply not comparable on a technical level. If one were to compare both to a sandwich, Starfield would be steak and cheese while Horizon would be wafer thin ham sandwich, get what I'm saying?
Imagine being such a naive person to think that "there's very little going on under the hood" in Horizon and using that as an excuse for starfield not having 60 FPS mode on consoles. You either have no idea what you're talking about or never played it. The machines alone are incredibly complex and they have over 40 in the vanilla game - I haven't played Burning Shores yet btw so I have no idea how many are new.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I believe him. Nintendo also made a creative decision to make TotK 30FPS, and they really loved the missing frames effect when Ultrahand is first used so they kept it in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh how selective, how selective indeed.

Phil said it was not a hardware issue tho!
Sassy Drag Race GIF by TAZO

“It’s a creative choice. We obviously have games that are running at 4K/60 on the platform. It’s not a platform issue, it’s a creative decision.

We love twisting words. He's talking about other games that run at 4K/60 on console as not a hardware issue, clearly we can all read that. But we choose to misconstrue it.

551bc55de7e4fb8463755dd63056e74fa1-21-kermit-tea.2x.rhorizontal.w710.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom