• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright DS barebones port to Wiiware. Capgod strikes again!

suzu

The first 3 PW games were basically ports of the GBA games. I think only Apollo Justice would have any high res assets available because it was developed for the DS.

udivision

I should be doing hw said:
This is actually the funniest thing I've seen all day :lol

2ppzi9i.jpg

When I saw barebones in the title I thought it would refer to no voice acting or something.

Look on the bright side. They could have used one of those filters...

Cheerilee

ethelred said:
It looks like the GBA version in those screens. :lol
I cropped the border and resized it down to GBA resolution:
5obdx1.png

...and DS resolution:
1r2o9s.png

It's the DS version with a resize of just over (not exactly) 2x and a generic filter. They even mucked around with the aspect ratio for no apparent reason.

I'm actually excited for this. I always wanted to play an Ace Attorney game but I didn't want to pay $60 for the DS game. I'm not really bothered by the graphics if this is 1000 points. I'll get it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
VideoMan said:
I'm just curious; are there two artists who create the art for the Phoenix Wright series? The artstyle in the picture above looks very different from the two pictures on the bottom. I've noticed this earlier when the artbooks came out some time ago, but I never really gave it much thought until now. Also, for fucking shame Capgod.

What's shocking is that they made a port of the GBA version. It lacks pretty much every feature introduced in the DS version! Hell, in the video, the PR guy sounds so meh in explaining its history. He basically says "Well fans wanted Phoenix Wright on the Wii, so we brainstormed, and this is what we got." I don't hear "and it was the best idea we could ever have" because it wasn't, it sucks so bad.

Jamie xxoo said:
I'm actually excited for this. I always wanted to play an Ace Attorney game but I didn't want to pay $60 for the DS game. I'm not really bothered by the graphics if this is 1000 points. I'll get it.
Minus the excited part, I agree.

I haven't played any Phoenix Wright games, while my friends around me rave about it, so now I get an opportunity to try them out.

They're cheap, and graphics don't matter in a good game, so yeah.

Pureauthor said:
Uh, it's the exact same artstyle as the DS screens, only not pixellated.

It's too clean (see: Old Simpsons vs new)

But maybe it's just that screenshot, since the Apollo Justice 480p pic looked fine to me.

Michan

suzu said:
The first 3 PW games were basically ports of the GBA games. I think only Apollo Justice would have any high res assets available because it was developed for the DS.
How does that make any sense at all? Do you really think the artists draw teeny tiny illustrations sized perfectly right for the GBA? Of course not; they draw them large and shrink them down.

They will have high-res assets available unless they deleted them, which is extremely unlikely since assets are constantly being reused in many games. It's just that it takes some extra effort to upscale a game, whereas changing a couple of menus and the controls isn't all that difficult at all.

This kind of thing is what an intern could do in a month or so.

Edit: from the first page:

The Alchemist Penguin said:
This is a screenshot of the Japanese PC port, which gives us an idea of what a Wii version could look like:

289c01g.jpg

They couldn't even port the PC version?
289c01g.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by a quote. =(

Sorry Capcom, I'm probably not going to bite. And I'm a huge AA fan, and am contemplating ordering the translated AA Art book despite owning the Japanese one already.

CoolS

In the beginning, I was planning to buy this, but now i most likely won't.

That's the most pathetic and lazy ass shit I've seen in a long time. I want the game with the "high res" assets dammit.

Welp, I was ready to buy (since I have sadly never played a PW game and the DS games are getting harder to find), even when I heard it was just a straight port.

Then I saw the screenshots :| I guess I'll buy the DS games used on Amazon or something.

*Cries* I was soooooooo damn hyped when I heard about this ... then the pictures came out and crushed my spirit. The PC versions don't have English and Japanese text like the DS games do only right? I so would love to play those.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
WHAT THE FUCK.
No, seriously.
WHAT THE FUCK.

Haunted said:
Jocchan says they have high res art assets for the whole series.
I'm not just saying it, I can prove it.

Their artbook The Art of Gyakuten Saiban, one copy of which is sitting beside me, has said assets blown up pretty nicely. They're all hand-made drawings shrunk down, and if they bothered to make said artbook they must have the original hi-res drawings too somewhere.
Further proof are the PC version and the TGS trailer for the DS re-release of the first game, both of which were already posted in this thread.
They have high res art assets, they just didn't bother to use them.

Yet another example that shows that Capcom simply don't give a toss about the Wii (As someone else said earlier, the Capcom rep was completely meh about the game. It's obvious that this is being quickly released to make a quick buck to help fund HD development!)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, it doesn't even look like a port, it looks like it's running on a GBA emulator...

jj984jj said:
Wow, it doesn't even look like a port, it looks like it's running on a GBA emulator...

Pretty much. Shockingly cheap and nasty, and I'm really very surprised - even given Capcom's history - to see such a shoddy port.

Plasma

Banned
Eurgh way to blow it Capcom, you have all that higher resolution artwork there and you decide to use the horribly compressed GBA sprites blown up on the big screen.

I love how no one expected it to be this terrible, everybody naturally assumed they would use the higer res assets that they already do have as opposed to a GBA port. :lol It wasn't a stupid assumption either, mind. Fucking hell Capcom, do you need a quick buck that badly?

Ranger X

I should be doing hw said:
I love how no one expected it to be this terrible, everybody naturally assumed they would use the higer res assets that they already do have as opposed to a GBA port. :lol It wasn't a stupid assumption either, mind. Fucking hell Capcom, do you need a quick buck that badly?

What's i'd like to do is if we have the proof the game is like that. I didn't investigate but maybe people assume stuff.

zigg

I can understand having complete and utter disbelief. That's my reaction to this, even when presented with the evidence.

Fuckin' bizarre.

CTLance

Huh. I'd have expected an uproar on Capcoms Forum by now, but it seems like nobody really cares. How odd.

...and I was so looking forward to some desperate spin control. Booo.

Chittagong

Gold Member
:lol :lol :lol

This might be the worst thing I've seen in gaming this decade.

I love Phoenix Wright but this is just outrageous - a pixelated GBA port for a modern console. Unforgivable given that they have the PC assets too. I'd rush to buy it with proper visuals.

Oh god why

why

No, no, wait, I've got it.

This is like Mega Man 9 - they're trying to play on our nostalgia for retro graphics! Capcom looking out for the older gamers again!

I just realized how bad the security camera in the fifth case is going to look. :lol It was actually impressive for DS 3D, especially at the time, but it's really not going to look good double-sized on a TV screen.

That single case probably requires more work than porting the rest of the original for them, so I understand why they've separated it out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pureauthor said:
No, no, wait, I've got it.

This is like Mega Man 9 - they're trying to play on our nostalgia for retro graphics! Capcom looking out for the older gamers again!
I would have loved a faux 8 bit style reimagining :( :( :(

Zoc

RocketDarkness said:
They couldn't even port the PC version?
289c01g.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by a quote. =(

Unless that's a re-release of the PC version, that's not what it looked like. Phoenix Wright is wondering if his PC's specs are good enough in that picture, which leads me to think it was just another one-off. Somebody over at Capcom clearly has a sincere belief that the original art is the best.

Anyway, this is the only PC version I can find, with the same low-res assets as every other version:
ou8pk6.jpg

2nhopbm.jpg

Well Capcom have outdone themselves, they've created a world in which people are complaining about the graphics of a Phoenix Wright game. Don't think anyone saw that coming.

Top Bottom