• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned DLC content for SFxTekken found on the original disc

Bizazedo

Keits from SRK is thinking of banning all the DLC characters for tournament play.

I stand by this 100%.

Never happen, too many fan favorites.

I'd still say go for it as a way to reject how they're holding them for like 6 months, but people want those characters.

K.Sabot

"We're more interested in spiting you than working with you!"

"We're more interested in maintaining a balanced, tournament viable game than giving you more money a long time from now."

Never happen, too many fan favorites.

I'd still say go for it as a way to reject how they're holding them for like 6 months, but people want those characters.

People who do the work can have them now, and knowing the FGC, they'll do it to get that advantage.

That would be awesome. It would be a good way to send a message to capcom.

What message is that? That people who enjoy the the DLC characters can't use them at tournaments? I like Elena and want to use her at tournaments.

Don't punish the player on the basis of how people cannot accept how the marketplace works in the current economic realities.

If you want to hurt capcom, don't buy the DLC.

Don't hurt me so I can't use a character I enjoy at EVO whatever tournament. Though this DLC comes way after EVO. They gonna ban 6 month old DLC character at EVO 2013?

Don't buy it yourself, don't impose on me.

Ferrio

Banned
"We're more interested in spiting you than working with you!"

Working? They're consumers just like all of us. If they wanna show their displeasure with capcom tactics, that's a damn good way to do it.

Not to mention people who hack the game have a lot more time to play these characters, and learn how to fight against them.

Don't feel bad I enjoyed the games and didn't mind spending money on them. But given the choice I prefer this route. As far as tournies go I have only really seen them ban console exclusive characters. I would imagine that would be the trend in the future as well. You are welcome by the way.

Your picture paints an incorrect.. uh.. picture. There weren't that many versions of the game. You are also looking at a time span of about 20 years with the legit games in there. And do you realize that the only reason SSF2 came out was because Capcom pushed it through the door? And SSF2T did horribly because of it.

No one bought it. So they stopped. Do you see any similarities here?

And I am also with Keits on this DLC banning.

EDIT: This whole conversation is just us expressing our different opinions. I see where you're coming from but I don't agree. I hope you see the same.

notworksafe

"We're more interested in maintaining a balanced, tournament viable game than giving you more money a long time from now."
Because we know how well the DLC characters are balanced, right? People will get over their "outrage" by this fall and they'll be allowed.

If we're going to start banning stuff because it's DLC now, we shouldn't be playing Arcade Edition.

Balance has nothing to do with this discussion, or again we shouldn't have moved over to Arcade Edition which was already blatently unbalanced.

It's no harder than SCV, MK9 or BB to set up DLC, so tournament viability has nothing to do with this discussion.

This is entitled consumerism. We are not entitled to anything, but neither are Capcom entitled to our money. Don't buy this game if the fact that they split their content into at least two seperate purchases bothers you.

Keits from SRK is thinking of banning all the DLC characters for tournament play.

I stand by this 100%.
I mean... they have to. Imagine what would happen if pro level players hacked the game and practiced against or with these characters in secret. Some people would have an insane edge compared to the folks who don't know the hack or don't want to hack.

Ferrio

Banned
I mean... they have to. Imagine what would happen if pro level players hacked the game and practiced against or with these characters in secret. Some people would have an insane edge compared to the folks who don't know the hack or don't want to hack.

Yep it's a valid concern.

K.Sabot

Pretty much this, the FGC is well versed in hacking consoles and ISOs, they also practice the "Play to Win" mentality (shoutouts to David Sirlin).

ultron87

Then just ban them until X amount of time after official release and everything will even up. And wouldn't people spending a lot of time practicing with unavailable characters be worse with the currently available roster?

Bizazedo

Pull a Dr. Twister. Publish far and wide how to unlock the 12.

Twister, there's an old reference ;). See who catches it.

Your picture paints an incorrect.. uh.. picture. There weren't that many versions of the game. You are also looking at a time span of about 20 years with the legit games in there. And do you realize that the only reason SSF2 came out was because Capcom pushed it through the door? And SSF2T did horribly because of it.

No one bought it. So they stopped. Do you see any similarities here?

And I am also with Keits on this DLC banning.

EDIT: This whole conversation is just us expressing our different opinions. I see where you're coming from but I don't agree. I hope you see the same

So what you are saying is you rather have Super version a year later rather than DLC? You keep going back to the picture yeah it was over twenty years but it doesn't change the fact that most fighters have gone through at least 3 iterations. What is it exactly that you are against and what is it you want? Be clear.

I want a games life to be extended as DLC rather than disc updates. That is my stance. What is yours?

To your edit: Absolutely. It's OK to disagree. No wrong or right just different ways we want this issue to be handled.

Lothars

Then just ban them until X amount of time after official release and everything will even up. And wouldn't people spending a lot of time practicing with unavailable characters be worse with the currently available roster?
See I could go along with that but to ban them permanently before they are released is just beyond stupid.

If you have to ban DLC because some get it before others, then Arcade Edition should have been banned because it was available in only a select few arcades, giving some an unfair advantage.

You can take this argument too far and argue that console exclusive characters shouldn't be banned of course, but given that console exclusive characters are for non-console owners the price of the console plus the correct copy of the game, I think it's reasonable to ban them.

In fact, you could make a very compelling argument that certain DLC exclusive characters should be legal in tournament, but only if the price of the console + game isn't that much so you can reasonably expect most of your scene to own that copy. If 99% of the MK9 scene owned the PS3 version, Kratos might well have a case for being legal.

DLC comes out this fall? Next EVO is July 2013? 6 months at least in between? Plenty of time (6 months) to learn the characters in an engine that should be familiar to you by then.

Nobody banned AE stuff when japan and like 4 places in America had it. They sure had an advantage.

We will all be fine.

You want to personally hurt Capcom, don't buy it yourself.

notworksafe

Then just ban them until X amount of time after official release and everything will even up.
Basically this would be the best solution. Amount of practice time isn't really the issue here anyway. Japan had AE months before us and it was still the version of SF4 played at the last EVO. A permanent banning is stupid and just spiteful whining.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yeah it is kind of stupid we have to wait six months or whatever until the fall to get these characters that are already there.

Ferrio

Banned
What really pisses me off is Capcom is profitting 3 different times from these 12 characters.

1. Money hats from Sony for Vita exclusive
2. From SFxT vita game
3. From the DLC for the console.

It's so anti-consumer it's sickening. You think they could be happy with just 1 of those, hell maybe 2. But to be milking it 3 different ways is horrible.

So what you are saying is you rather have Super version a year later rather than DLC? You keep going back to the picture yeah it was over twenty years but it doesn't change the fact that most fighters have gone through at least 3 iterations. What is it exactly that you are against and what is it you want? Be clear.

I want a games life to be extended as DLC rather than disc updates. That is my stance. What is yours?

To your edit: Absolutely. It's OK to disagree. No wrong or right just different ways we want this issue to be handled.

Just read my other post if you forgot where I stand on DLC. It's clear enough. It's sad that you have to be in the DLC boat or the disc update boat. How about.... Neither?

Crazy idea, I know. But Capcom also knows that people buy whatever excuses they shovel out and will keep doing it until they reach their "SSF2T moment" again.

Let me know again if my combination of posts aren't particular enough for you.

On disk DLC is clearly a more thorny issue for the fighting game community than we thought. The competitive nature surrounding the games can make this sort of complicated. Whether or not they should be tourney viable post release depends on the release schedule(all at once or trickle characters?).

I think a straight 12 character DLC dump post Vita release could allow them to be legal after a couple of months since it'll give those inexperienced folks some time to learn the characters just as well as the pros who hack the game. A trickle method will just make this whole thing a mess far larger than gems since we may have to wait a certain amount of time after each character is released.

ugh
What really pisses me off is Capcom is profitting 3 different times from these 12 characters.

2. From SFxT vita game

It's so anti-consumer it's sickening. You think they could be happy with just 1 of those, hell maybe 2. But to be milking it 3 different ways is horrible.
I can't wait for the Darkstalkers IV launch. I'll have to buy a Vita so that I can play with Hsien-Ko five months later and the only way to use her in the console game early will be a hack.

@_@

2. From SFxT vita game

It makes you mad that they profit off their own creations of non essential entertainment products? That's how the world works.

They are not selling me gas that I need everyday to get to work. Or medical care shenanigans.

Ferrio

Banned
It makes you mad that they profit off their own creations of non essential entertainment products? That's how the world works.

They are not selling me gas that I need everyday to get to work. Or medical care shenanigans.

Call me old fashioned, but I liked when companies used to cater to their customers.

Ploid 3.0

If we're going to start banning stuff because it's DLC now, we shouldn't be playing Arcade Edition.

Balance has nothing to do with this discussion, or again we shouldn't have moved over to Arcade Edition which was already blatently unbalanced.

It's no harder than SCV, MK9 or BB to set up DLC, so tournament viability has nothing to do with this discussion.

This is entitled consumerism. We are not entitled to anything, but neither are Capcom entitled to our money. Don't buy this game if the fact that they split their content into at least two seperate purchases bothers you.

AE had a disk version and you didn't have to buy characters and updates seperately to make a fully updated AE. With this you'd have to buy every character to study them, and for the tournaments with all those people and however many consoles they use there that would be a ton of dlc buying just to stay competitive. Capcom is making it hard on the scene with this fragmentation. I'm sure the tournaments will like it if there was a disk update that include the characters and whatever else. It would still be compatible with the standard version and characters won't be tied to an account (though I'm sure cap would include codes just so the characters aren't on the disk making it harder to carry around again).

Just read my other post if you forgot where I stand on DLC. It's clear enough. It's sad that you have to be in the DLC boat or the disc update boat. How about.... Neither?

Crazy idea, I know. But Capcom also knows that people buy whatever excuses they shovel out and will keep doing it until they reach their "SSF2T moment" again.

Let me know again if my combination of posts aren't particular enough for you.

No, that explanation works well enough for me. Thanks for clearing it up.

notworksafe

On disk DLC is clearly a more thorny issue for the fighting game community than we thought. The competitive nature surrounding the games can make this sort of complicated. Whether or not they should be tourney viable post release depends on the release schedule(all at once or trickle characters?).

I think a straight 12 character DLC dump post Vita releas could make allow them to be legal after a couple of months since it'll give those inexperienced folks some time to learn the characters just as well as the pros who hack the game. A trickle method will just make this whole thing a mess far larger than gems though since we may have to wait a certain amount of time after each character is released.

ugh

After the issues with Mortal Kombat's DLC I almost prefer on-disk stuff, as silly as that sounds. But if it was a big 12 character dump, then Capcom could avoid the MK issues by also putting out a big patch as well. Either way, I'd rather get all twelve at once rather than in a small trickle.

oroboros

Damn, i wish I didn't love fighting games so much. Still getting this tomorrow, but I'm not going to defend Capcom on this at all.

38 characters is a good roster size, but I mean holding back 12 characters until fall / winter? 12? I could see maybe 2 or 4 or maybe 6, but my God that's pretty shady. Even if they just released them Day 1 as like $3 each or something and we could grab the ones we cared about it would be better I guess. Waiting for months and then having to pay who knows how much more to use something already there is pretty damn lame though. Make money with new stages, costumes, and music or something, this "DLC" for FINISHED characters on disk nonsense is real bad stuff.

Call me old fashioned, but I liked when companies used to cater to their customers.

They sold me a game with 38 characters, better than back in the day. I feel happy with my purchase.

They are also a company out to make money. I can understand that.

If the balance gets too out of wack, then I won't buy. But it hasn't to me.

Like I said, people who have a problem with it, don't buy it. Don't feel you are entitled to those 12 characters.

I don't know why people think they are? They didn't promise those as part of the package?

Ferrio

Banned
Would just producing a fighting game with 38 characters and then never touching it again count as catering?

No, but it's cut and dry. There's no bullshit.

Here they're obviously getting money for the sony exclusive. So now they've made money on their extra characters via sony, and their vita game sales. Then make us wait 6 months so they can profit again from the same content via DLC, and act like they're doing it on our behalf.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No, but it's cut and dry. There's no bullshit.

Here they're obviously getting money for the sony exclusive. So now they've made money on their extra characters. Then make us wait 6 months so they can profit from it again via DLC, and act like they're doing it on our behalf.

Capcom hasn't been acting on our behalf for years. But you already knew that Ferrio. Rofl.

Lothars

Capcom hasn't been acting on our behalf for years. But you already knew that Ferrio. Rofl.
Has SNK? Netherealms? Arcsys? I don't think any of them have either. It's not that Capcom is alone in doing this.

Sf4 didn't have ssf4/ae on disc day -1.
Sfxt has SSfxt on disc day -1.
Same with me.

What're they going to do next? You have to buy the disc and start unlocking it episodically. Rofl.
Well your going to whine about it no matter how they do it, so It shouldn't matter but it's not like SFxTekken isn't a fully featured game without the 12 extra characters.

Sf4 didn't have ssf4/ae on disc day -1.
Sfxt has SSfxt on disc day -1.

So if they cut the DLC off of the disk and made everyone download compusary patches for the new characters (which would be a headache for time-strapped TOs, I should point out), when they are released, would that be okay? Because then the DLC wouldn't be on the disk despite already being finished?

I don't see how when the DLC is developed is relevant to anyone other than the developers. Again, this feeds back into the fact that people are feeling entitled to something they have no entitlement to.

Don't buy this game if you don't like DLC.

And in addition - I'm pretty sure alternative costumes are allowed in tournaments when at least the first set were on-disk. Where was the outcry then? If we're banning all on-disk DLC, most alternate costumes in SSF4 should be banned.

Seriously Capcom is so weird when it comes to DLC.

Is it so hard for them to work on a fighting game after it goes gold? Either the content is locked on a disk and sold back to us from the start or all the work goes into a new version of the game.

They made SSF4AE downloadable so it can be done why do they keep locking stuff out?

notworksafe

So if they cut the DLC off of the disk and made everyone download compusary patches for the new characters (which would be a headache for time-strapped TOs, I should point out), when they are released, would that be okay? Because then the DLC wouldn't be on the disk despite already being finished?
If it worked like Mortal Kombat worked, it would be far worse. Compatibility patches sucked.

Seriously Capcom is so weird when it comes to DLC.

Is it so hard for them to work on a fighting game after it goes gold? Either the content is locked on a disk and sold back to us from the start or all the work goes into a new version of the game.

They made SSF4AE downloadable so it can be done why do they keep locking stuff out?

Because they planned ahead this time and worked it into the budget to avoid dlc compatability issues?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Has SNK? Netherealms? Arcsys? I don't think any of them have either. It's not that Capcom is alone in doing this.

Same with me.

Well your going to whine about it no matter how they do it, so It shouldn't matter but it's not like SFxTekken isn't a fully featured game without the 12 extra characters.

Not sure about SNK or Netherealms but Arc Sys doesn't go to the degree that Capcom does with their anti-consumer bullshit.

If it worked like Mortal Kombat worked, it would be far worse. Compatibility patches sucked.

I agree, but you did get neat alternative costumes just for downloading them. The fact that MK3 Sub-Zero was free was pretty amazing to me, I'd have paid $5 for a pack with him in like how I paid for Rearmed Spencer in UMvC3. Who was on-disk, and not banned in tournaments. Like Shuma Gorath and Jill, neither of which are banned.

Top Bottom