• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned DLC content for SFxTekken found on the original disc

notworksafe

I agree, but you did get neat alternative costumes just for downloading them. The fact that MK3 Sub-Zero was free was pretty amazing to me, I'd have paid $5 for a pack with him in like how I paid for Rearmed Spencer in UMvC3. Who was on-disk, and not banned in tournaments. Like Shuma Gorath and Jill, neither of which are banned.

Even putting in costumes as a free bonus and advertising the hell out of those packs on the Live/PSN store didn't work too well from my experience. Such a bummer that not a lot of people bothered to download them.

If it worked like Mortal Kombat worked, it would be far worse. Compatibility patches sucked.

They sucked because they were optional.

If they had been mandatory, it would have been the perfect method of delivering post release content.

And don't get me started on how Capcom doesn't seem to have implemented the Monday Night Combat style serverside patch method

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Already got 10 comitted to VF in our scene. Makes me want to finally take a look at that game. DoA? Just one. :p

How much did Platinum cost again? How many new characters are in EXTEND if you bought all their DLC?

It's not about cost rather the ethics and morals of how they distribute them. Also, 7 dollars is steep. I've already mentioned this in my previous posts.

notworksafe

They sucked because they were optional.

If they had been mandatory, it would have been the perfect method of delivering post release content.

And don't get me started on how Capcom doesn't seem to have implemented the Monday Night Combat style serverside patch method

Maybe so but don't mandatory patches cost a ton of money? So you have to make sure you sell a lot more DLC to make up for the cost of that patch.

Not sure about SNK or Netherealms but Arc Sys doesn't go to the degree that Capcom does with their anti-consumer bullshit.

So Arc does SOME anti-consumer bullshit, but not to the level of Capcom? Maybe its scale? If Arc was a bigger company, I'm sure they would, heh.

Maybe SNK should copy Capcom some, so they don't go broke again, and stop releasing the same ROMS over and over on different compilations. And not make a crap SamShodown reboot ;)

Lothars

I hope everyone one of buys VF and DoA <3
I'll definitely be buying the next VF but I probably won't pick up DoA at launch but I haven't enjoyed a DoA game in a long time.

Not sure about SNK or Netherealms but Arc Sys doesn't go to the degree that Capcom does with their anti-consumer bullshit.
I feel they do especially with the new disk release every 18 months or so and I like Arc Sys as well.

Already got 10 comitted to VF in our scene. Makes me want to finally take a look at that game. DoA? Just one. :p

New Mexico, here we come.

Seriously, if I pick it up, you better be ready to get a station ready when EFL has their next gathering/tourney. :3

I will personally have a VF station at every gathering/tourney I attended. Plus with the VF Twins showing, you will level up super fast.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I think the most offensive thing is Lei wasn't worthy enough to be on main roster, fuck that. He was the best in T3

notworksafe

It's not about cost rather the ethics and morals of how they distribute them. Also, 7 dollars is steep. I've already mentioned this in my previous posts.

Ethics and morals? Oh come on. So because you downloaded the character that makes up for the extra high price? That's silly. I'd rather wait for on disc content and not use up HDD space than pay more and use more HDD space.

Also you never answered my other question.

Maybe so but don't mandatory patches cost a ton of money? So you have to make sure you sell a lot more DLC to make up for the cost of that patch.

Yes, that is a fault of this current console generation.

Here's to hoping the hardware makers let up on things like this next gen.

Or maybe fighters should move to the PC. After all, a big problem with fighters is playing older titles on newer hardware, and that would alleviate this too.

How much did Platinum cost again? How many new characters are in EXTEND if you bought all their DLC?
Meh, Extend was a disc update for a disc(CS1) that was released nearly two years before it and the DLC characters were months apart from each other. Hell, Platinum was the last one and she was still released like eight months before Extend. CS1 also got a complete balance patch for free with the characters.

Did you really expect ASW to build the DLC hooks into CS1 so that it could be patched three years or something? I think two years(nearly) worth of color packs, voice packs, rebalances and DLC characters was pretty good for a small company.

The DLC characters were a bit expensive and they really should have added someone else besides Relius though. I'll give you that much.

kayos90

Ethics and morals? Oh come on. So because you downloaded the character that makes up for the extra high price? That's silly.

Also you never answered my other question.

Sorry, I missed your other question. What was it. Hahaha. sorry a bit too lazy to look around.

Ploid 3.0

So if Capcom released a $40 version of SFxT in six months alongside the DLC, would that be okay? What about instead of the DLC?

Dude I was just about to post about this. Yes I would be happy with this and yes I would buy it vs $5 x12 and whatever extra stuff they come up with (Gems packs?). $40 sounds like a good deal. The reason I didn't like the disk updates is I wish they were a cheaper DLC expansion, or a free patch. This way is more expensive and you can't sell the extra crap you bought. At least the old way allowed me to get a game on Goozex trading, and with MVC3 I tossed it to my brother.

The 12 characters number was carefully planned to make it a fully new game without discount (not including gem packs). The price will be $5 each character for sure, unless they start feeling guilty or that people aren't buying the game because they're anticipating expensive characters. Shuma and Jill cost $5 right?

Chavelo

Or maybe fighters should move to the PC. After all, a big problem with fighters is playing older titles on newer hardware, and that would alleviate this too.

"Bu-bu-bu PC is hard to setup and carry and configure for tournam--"

0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

"Let me see what I can do, FGC"

notworksafe

Sorry, I missed your other question. What was it. Hahaha. sorry a bit too lazy to look around.

How many new characters are in EXTEND if you bought all their DLC? Seems plenty anti-consumer to charge a lot of characters and then release a disc version with an update that won't play with the previous version online.

I guess I'm trying to say that all fighting games are being screwed with because of DLC. No one is clean, sadly.

Meh, Extend was a disc update for a disc(CS1) that was released nearly two years before it and the DLC characters were months apart from each other. Hell, Platinum was the last one and she was still released like eight months before Extend. CS1 also got a complete balance patch for free with the characters.

Did you really expect ASW to build the DLC hooks into CS1 so that it could be patched three years or something? I think two years(nearly) worth of color packs, voice packs, rebalances and DLC characters was pretty good for a small company.

The DLC characters were a bit expensive and they really should have added someone else besides Relius though. I'll give you that much.

Mainly I just am annoyed that even if you bought all their DLC you still have to rebuy the disc to play the newest version online.

CSX

Anyone think capcom will remove all the DLC character data from PC version's installation?

There is a small number of people that can hack and enable the DLL characters on the console version but Capcom can't stop the spread of potential hacked config files that are a few hundred kb in size.

kayos90

How many new characters are in EXTEND if you bought all their DLC? Seems plenty anti-consumer to charge a lot of characters and then release a disc version with an update that won't play with the previous version online.

I guess I'm trying to say that all fighting games are being screwed with because of DLC. No one is clean, sadly.

Mainly I just am annoyed that even if you bought all their DLC you still have to rebuy the disc to play the newest version online.

In all honesty there's quite a bit more to it than just Relius for console players. Although we got one new character, the DLC character didn't have a story mode or anything like that. Sure, to a fighting enthusiast this is a minor detail, but as a casual fighting gamer, it's quite a bit. I'm looking at the overall package that's offered since CS1 for consoles and Extend.

Anyone think capcom will remove all the DLC character data from PC version's installation?

There is a small number of people that can hack and enable the DLL characters on the console version but Capcom can't stop the spread of potential hacked config files that are a few hundred kb in size.
I assume the DLC will already come unlocked on PC as with the Vita version, because it will be released months down the line, for full price after the console ones are discounted.

But then again, this is Capcpom we're talking about...

Haeleos

I wish Sega would capitalize more on the bad publicity SFxT is getting. For instance, if they announced VFFS was free to play while Capcom is nickel and diming you for gems...

Ploid 3.0

I think the most offensive thing is Lei wasn't worthy enough to be on main roster, fuck that. He was the best in T3

Gotta save the good stuff for dlc. Why would people buy it?

I wish Sega would capitalize more on the bad publicity SFxT is getting. For instance, if they announced VFFS was free to play while Capcom is nickel and diming you for gems...

My first fighting game this gen was VF5. It had no online but I spent hours in Quest Mode. Lot of free alts, collectibles and challenges.

notworksafe

I assume the DLC will already come unlocked on PC as with the vita version, because it will be released months down the line, for full price after the console ones are discounted.

PC version is out in May. Vita won't drop until the fall.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, Extend only offers 1 extra character if you bought all the DLC, but the game itself is loaded with content that CS didn't have. They even have all the DLC for CS purchasable with ingame currency, which was a move I didn't expect.

Also, atleast in comparison to Capcom, look at some of the stuff they're doing. Their version of Extend based on Marvel wouldn't have Makoto, Valkenhayne, or Platinum unless you still paid them 7$ for each. CS would have had the complete finished models of the same characters from day one, not just the art assets and unfinished animations(mostly of makoto).

CSX

I assume the DLC will already come unlocked on PC as with the Vita version, because it will be released months down the line, for full price after the console ones are discounted.

I thought the PC version was coming in May?

0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

"CALL ME FAT NOW, BITCHES"

If that standardised PC is true and usable at tournaments, I'd be a very happy panda.

Imagine if this meant we could have MAME'd ST at tournaments!

Syril

In all honesty there's quite a bit more to it than just Relius for console players. Although we got one new character, the DLC character didn't have a story mode or anything like that. Sure, to a fighting enthusiast this is a minor detail, but as a casual fighting gamer, it's quite a bit. I'm looking at the overall package that's offered since CS1 for consoles and Extend.

When they said the characters in that would be $8 each, I had always figured it was to pay for getting the cast back in to record their story modes. I wouldn't have guessed they'd be unusable in half the game.

Nose Master

They're cutting the wrong corners, and just blatantly taking advantage of the hardcore fans. Want game cost to be lower? Quit making 20 minutes of pre-rendered trailers that add fuck all to the game. Add an online pass, included in new copies.

Covering cost isn't what this is about. They're just fully taking advantage of the fans, as much as they can. Because they know they can.

I'll be renting/buying this used, I guess. I'm very interested in this game, but I will not support this.

Chavelo

Oh, I didn't know it had a date other than "months after the console version for no reason"

That's uncalled for.

There is resources to be made sure they go in the right places. And they are really trying to make it the best version possible... Just make sure you don't get the console versions first! Even though you'll have to wait a bit for the PC version... Hmmm, you know, you could always get the console version first and then pick up the PC version just to get ready... and well...

SHIT

Is there a chance that Capcom will release some of there characters before fall? Fall is like 7 months away. I cant wait that long.

*swoons*
I can see your point. I don't expect ASW to do that again and I expect their characters to be a little cheaper. Everyone from the big boys to the smaller companies are experimenting with content delivery for the first time so it's bound to be messy.

Actually, now that I think about it... wouldn't this make Japanese fighting game companies the more DLC friendly companies out of all the companies in Japan? Yeah, this is probably a pretty big thing for them. I'll wait it out patiently.
Yeah, story updates and all the content that can be purchased with in game currency is a big plus. Different fighters matter to me for different reasons. Vampire Savior is my pure gameplay fighter, MvC3 is my character based fan service fighter, Skullgirls will be my jack of all trades and BlazBlue is in a similar spot. I like the gameplay a lot for BB, but the stories for the characters and the extra content are also a biggie for that game.
God, what if Valve made a fighting game? 1 million dollar tournaments....
Along with proper button configs, GGPO multi fight lobbies with spectator options for multiple fights, keyboard chat, GGPO numbered ping ratings, custom lobby options and mod support out the ass.

so awesome

Edit: Possibly free DLC or ten character packs for fifteen bucks down the road too!? *dies*

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I know this may sound crazy but you could also just not play their games and stop buying anything from them.

The best thing to come out of this, as always, is the insane amount of double-speak that Capcom's PR team has to come up with to rationalize fleecing the customer yet again. Reading that wall of text gives you a glimpse into the mind of someone who doesn't live in reality. Bravo guys, bravo.

notworksafe

Actually, now that I think about it... wouldn't this make Japanese fighting game companies the more DLC friendly companies out of all the companies in Japan? Yeah, this is probably a pretty big thing for them. I'll wait it out patiently.
I hadn't thought of that. So fighting game makers are...progressive? :O

Also Capcom didn't do much better with SF4 DLC. Yun/Yang/Oni/E Ryu didn't have trials. At least Marvel DLC characters had the missions...too bad no one really used them much.

Chavelo

To stop pirating the PC version. Ubisoft does the same thing.

Really? Really?

People already hacked the console versions. They found Mega-Man, Pacman, and the 12 DLC characters on disk.

So, console pirates can basically have what console players are going to get on Fall already. I wonder where I heard THAT before...

._.

Just because Capcom thinks it will stop pirates from... You know what, this is the same company that can't even spell their own name right, I don't think they have a good reason why.

I hadn't thought of that. So fighting game makers are...progressive? :O

Also Capcom didn't do much better with SF4 DLC. Yun/Yang/Oni/E Ryu didn't have trials. At least Marvel DLC characters had the missions...too bad no one really used them much.
Yeah, you could say that in a sense(progressive with DLC as far as Japanese companies go). Also, didn't the 3 DLC characters for BB have challenges? Can't remember, but I think they do.

Edit: Yeah, I think they did.

Papercuts

Yeah, you could say that in a sense(progressive with DLC as far as Japanese companies go). Also, didn't the 3 DLC characters for BB have challenges? Can't remember, but I think they do.

Edit: Yeah, I think they did.

They did. You couldn't use them in arcade mode though.

They also got new challenges when they patched the update of CS2 into it, along with the entire cast. Unlike SFIV AE which reverted back to SSFIV.

Nilaul

I was just about to get this... now... Im not.

When I get a game, I expect the game to fully package and not stuff locked away for extra money. Its like I would be paying for a Demo.

kunonabi

Instead they just decided to follow Capcom's horrible example. At least they only cut away the costume stuff and not slicing off a 1/4 of the roster.

Seik

Banned
Just two months after the console version for no reason this time. :p I hope PC version is 1080p like SF4 was.

I heard it will be 720p only and that you need to buy unlock 1080p. Jaw-dropping resolution at the low price of 10,80$.

Neat concept, huh? :p

Papercuts

Here's the final boxart for the game...

DmOKs.jpg

It's actually 14 charaicters because of Megaman and Pacman being on the disc.

They also further updated the PS3 version with a giant sticker on the left saying how they have 5 additional charaicters.

Top Bottom