• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned DLC content for SFxTekken found on the original disc

Riposte

I'm sure you'll continue to defend Capcom's shitty practice because they "revived the fighting game genre and should be applauded."

I don't think Capcom revived the fighting game genre because it never died. Wouldn't ever praise them for that.

Otherwise your post is just more of the hyperbolic garbage I am pretty sick of hearing at this point. So to make it brief: Before I purchase something I consider the value of it, which is naturally going to be based on what the content means to me and how much money I have on me. I'm totally fine with buying expansions and DLC content and they usually come out at a reduced price to make their smaller size an easier buy. I'm totally fine with that content existing if I feel like the original game was a good value. If not, then I wait until a deal comes around. For that I don't want to be told I like having Capcom literally shit on my face. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

EDIT: On the matter of ownership I'm more interested in knowing if Capcom can do something about people creating and distributing mods/techniques(etc) that allow you to access "locked" content on the disc. I'm pretty sure they can't, because people actually do own the files on the disc. (It is just incomplete.)

You seem to basically be claiming that what they've done is fine, but they really should have hidden it better? I'd like to believe that the consumer base is rational and pragmatic enough to recognise the fact that it's still the same action behind the scenes no matter how well it's hidden from view.

But how would the consumer be made aware that content may already exist when it is kept within the company and its partners?

There is plenty of stuff going on all the time between the walls of studios that would excite many gamers, both positively and negatively. But they do not get outraged over what they do not know exists, and even if it was rumored to exist, it would stay in that fase and never move to full-scale social action (outrage / boycot).

Playing people's reactions is a vital, almost essential part of this industry. Capcom simply isn't playing it very smart, imo.

mclem

But how would the consumer be made aware that content may already exist when it is kept within the company and its partners?

I don't think it matters, really. There's some people for whom you'll *never* be able to convince that a DLC strategy is entirely above-board. Until people actually think of DLC as a completely separate product, with its own budgeting, development resources and release schedule, they'll always think of it as 'something that was taken away from us'.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does the game industry is such in a shitty situation financially that game companies, especially those in the "big boys club" like Capcom, really can't afford to live by without the presence of DLCs?

Does the game industry is such in a shitty situation financially that game companies, especially those in the "big boys club" like Capcom, really can't afford to live by without the presence of DLCs?

Go find that thread about all the shut down devs.

Also, why are IAP's so prevalent (that are not on freemium games)?

It seems devs/publishers need extra flows of income after the initial release. This is a economic reality.

I don't think Capcom revived the fighting game genre because it never died. Wouldn't ever praise them for that.

Otherwise your post is just more of the hyperbolic garbage I am pretty sick of hearing at this point. So to make it brief: Before I purchase something I consider the value of it, which is naturally going to be based on what the content means to me and how much money I have on me. I'm totally fine with buying expansions and DLC content and they usually come out at a reduced price to make their smaller size an easier buy. I'm totally fine with that content existing if I feel like the original game was a good value. If not, then I wait until a deal comes around. For that I don't want to be told I like having Capcom literally shit on my face. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

EDIT: On the matter of ownership I'm more interested in knowing if Capcom can do something about people creating and distributing mods/techniques(etc) that allow you to access "locked" content on the disc. I'm pretty sure they can't, because people actually do own the files on the disc. (It is just incomplete.)

Exactly how I feel. How many fighters launch with 38 characters(over half of them being new), spectating lobbies, online modes for training, 1 v 1, 2 v 2, arcade, tutorial, mission modes, trials..etc etc etc. The game is a fantastic value and if twelve other DLC characters planned ahead of time never existed people wouldn't say anything. Hell if they did exist but weren't on the disc and we would have to DL them all and have compatibility issues with people who don't own them people would complain less. It's ok to feel slighted but to say capcom shits on it's customers while they hand you a fighter out of the box that has more content than any other on the market? Laughable.

vg260

Playing people's reactions is a vital, almost essential part of this industry. Capcom simply isn't playing it very smart, imo.

Hehe no one's arguing that Capcom did a poor job hiding the content, but I'd say many people are not being smart in their understanding of the situation either.

Exactly how I feel. How many fighters launch with 38 characters(over half of them being new), spectating lobbies, online modes for training, 1 v 1, 2 v 2, arcade, tutorial, mission modes, trials..etc etc etc. The game is a fantastic value and if twelve other DLC characters planned ahead of time never existed people wouldn't say anything. Hell if they did exist but weren't on the disc and we would have to DL them all and have compatibility issues with people who don't own them people would complain less. It's ok to feel slighted but to say capcom shits on it's customers while they hand you a fighter out of the box that has more content than any other on the market? Laughable.

No man, but they rippin us off! Crapcom is evil! etc. etc.

Hero

And BlazBlue fans who bought all the DLC characters for Continuum Shift got to see Extend announced as a disc-only release shortly after the last DLC character came out, for $40 bux and having only 1 new character. I guess everyone's already forgotten about that.

This reminds me of system wars mentality. Remember gems like this?

"You simpering microsoft fanboys, buying another Xbox after one died! You're part of the problem! You're ruining the industry! STOP SPENDING MONEY! I COMMAND YOU!"

People love to say "vote with your wallet", actually, when they want everyone to do what they say in order to send a message to the industry. What they don't like however, is when the vote goes against them.

You don't like it when you wish to hate on Capcom and want to see them fail, so if people still buy Capcom games because they're worth the money to those people, the only choice is to contextualize those fans as morons who can't tell they're being taken advantage of. See also: years of people insulting anyone who plays Call of Duty, or buys Madden football year after year. Because those people did vote with their wallets. The outcome of the election just wasn't what some people desired.

The wacky part about this latest storm over DLC is that if the 12 DLC characters didn't exist, nobody would be griping that SFxT was incomplete, overpriced, gouging, or in any way "raping" fans. It has a hell of a lot of characters, just over half of which are entirely new. More new characters than have ever been put into a single fighting game release... ever, maybe.

That is why freaking over DLC can look so overblown. It's just a matter of perception. Stick 12 characters data files on disc = game instantly becomes shit and the sun eclipses and puppies burst into fire across the globe. Remove 12 data files from disc and it's ":)"'s forever?

How does that work!

Hell, I don't even agree with the entire situation, as it is obviously screwed up due to Sony bribing Capcom to further contort content and release schedules just so they can push Vitas and Playstation.

... but the usual wailing about DLC, death of industry, anyone who likes Capcom games being a mindless puppet, etc, is just stupid.

So basically this just reads "You all should be happy Capcom is even giving you this, they could have given you less."

Don't even fucking call this DLC because it's not. It's LOCKED content that is already on the disc. There is no justification for Capcom in shipping a disc with content on it that they aimed at selling as DLC six months from now. If they removed the content and at least made it a DLC for a few hundred megs at least consumers would be under the illusion that this took some time past the primary development cycle to create.

The fact that people are okay with this and even defending Capcom is sickening. This shit is only going to get worse with the next generation. Wake the fuck up people.

Capcom should have only put some of the data on the disc like BB, so they could have said they still need more time to finish them .
What really make this stupid is hackers have all this stuff unlock using it and showing it off.
So now we have a game where hackers who got it for free have more chars , colors etc etc and playing it months in advance compare to people who willing to buy the game\DLC .

This game is still day one for me but this has to be one of most stupid things i have ever come across in all my years of gaming .
Now they trying to put the genie back in the bottle but it's to later for that and no matter what they say people have right to be piss .

hteng

Banned
rent the game, wait for Super or "Complete" version. It's a pity, i was very hype for the game when it was announced.

So basically this just reads "You all should be happy Capcom is even giving you this, they could have given you less."

Don't even fucking call this DLC because it's not. It's LOCKED content that is already on the disc. There is no justification for Capcom in shipping a disc with content on it that they aimed at selling as DLC six months from now. If they removed the content and at least made it a DLC for a few hundred megs at least consumers would be under the illusion that this took some time past the primary development cycle to create.

The fact that people are okay with this and even defending Capcom is sickening. This shit is only going to get worse with the next generation. Wake the fuck up people.

Are you honestly not intelligent enough to comprehend a situation in which DLC is budgeted and time is allotted for its development concurrently with the game itself? Why in the world does it make a difference when specifically designed DLC is created? Just because the DLC is ready at launch and put on the disc in no way suggests that they are forced to give it to people for free.

Can you possibly comprehend for even the slightest moment that if they didn't know they could sell it as DLC and plan specifically on that extra income THEY WOULDNT HAVE CREATED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

It costs extra money to create extra characters, they spent the extra money ahead of time to create the extra characters ahead of time. None of this suggests that they OWE YOU THE CHARACTERS. Capcom never for a moment suggested that these characters would in any way be a part of the game you are paying $60 for They didn't trick anyone into buying this game. They told you what they are selling you and they didn't lie about it. It makes absolutely no difference what else is on the disc.

GQman2121

Banned
There's a equal amount of sad and stupid going on in here, but I think one thing that most people will agree with is that if you feel strongly about this approach to DLC, then simply don't buy the game. Or at the very least, don't buy it new.

3DWdu.jpg

Did someone photoshop his triceps with the pinch tool or whatever? Looks weird.

Nyoro SF

There's a equal amount of sad and stupid going on in here, but I think one thing that most people will agree with is that if you feel strongly about this approach to DLC, then simply don't buy the game. Or at the very least, don't buy it new.

You could also not buy the DLC. Dunno how effective that'll be though.

zashga

The wacky part about this latest storm over DLC is that if the 12 DLC characters didn't exist, nobody would be griping that SFxT was incomplete, overpriced, gouging, or in any way "raping" fans. It has a hell of a lot of characters, just over half of which are entirely new. More new characters than have ever been put into a single fighting game release... ever, maybe.

That is why freaking over DLC can look so overblown. It's just a matter of perception. Stick 12 characters data files on disc = game instantly becomes shit and the sun eclipses and puppies burst into fire across the globe. Remove 12 data files from disc and it's ":)"'s forever?

I dunno, not having
Blanka
in the main cast is a pretty big omission.

Seriously, though, perception is everything. A lot of people (like me) are from a different era where was only one box to buy on launch day, and it had everything. If there was ever an extra package, it was a full-fledged expansion back in the $30 range that had a volume of new content comparable to the original release. Holding back small bits and pieces (or prepping actual new stuff between the gold and ship dates) for a separate charge on day one always strikes me as a naked cash grab, and I'll probably never support it.

It doesn't help that the extras are almost always complete ripoffs compared to the main game or yesteryear's expansion packs. $5 for a single character or stage is incredibly high on a couple of levels. First, it's way overpriced compared to boxed content, to the point where you can only really rationalize it as "well I would've payed that much more anyway" or "I just want to support this game/genre/company any way I can." Second, DLC typically skirts around the physical retail space and gives publishers/devs a better cut of the proceeds. That just makes it even more galling when you consider how little extra content you get for your extra money. It's enough to make me skip even "innocent" DLC that arrives months after release. The price is just insulting.

I dunno, not having
Blanka
in the main cast is a pretty big omission.

Seriously, though, perception is everything. A lot of people (like me) are from a different era where was only one box to buy on launch day, and it had everything.
The era before Genesis and SNES I'm assuming? Because like someone pointed out earlier, there were games in back then that had content you couldn't even access on the cartridge unless you used something else for it.

Ploid 3.0

Seeing the new characters will probably be a rare event once it's been unlocked for a while. You will most likely not know how to react and may lose, but at least it wont happen often. Also it seems like the online is the same old same old, not improved, laggy at launch stuff (gamespot review).

I like how that chart glosses over PS1 game prices since it would completely kill the point being made.

Yes, the prices of ONE system's games would completely kill the point...

The stuff you guys say sometimes...

Not to mention they are ignoring the sometimes $70 or even $80 games seen during the snes-N64 era

Hero

Are you honestly not intelligent enough to comprehend a situation in which DLC is budgeted and time is allotted for its development concurrently with the game itself? Why in the world does it make a difference when specifically designed DLC is created? Just because the DLC is ready at launch and put on the disc in no way suggests that they are forced to give it to people for free.

Can you possibly comprehend for even the slightest moment that if they didn't know they could sell it as DLC and plan specifically on that extra income THEY WOULDNT HAVE CREATED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

It costs extra money to create extra characters, they spent the extra money ahead of time to create the extra characters ahead of time. None of this suggests that they OWE YOU THE CHARACTERS. Capcom never for a moment suggested that these characters would in any way be a part of the game you are paying $60 for They didn't trick anyone into buying this game. They told you what they are selling you and they didn't lie about it. It makes absolutely no difference what else is on the disc.

It absolutely would've been fine for them to charge money for extra characters X months down the line for Y dollars as a downloadable content like most other games in the industry do. However the content is already done and on your disc.
Don't act like Capcom's methodology for DLC is standard for the fucking industry either.

Aside from financial concerns this also brings up the question of what to do with the DLC characters as people who pirate or have access to a pirated version of the game are going to have months of experience with the new fighters over the people who are legitimately going to buy the content that they're paying to unlock on the disc. Capcom is so anti-consumer it's not even funny anymore.

I just remembered the shit that went on with Final Fight and another game when the PSN went down last year because nobody could play their legitimate games because of the insane, backwards DRM on that shit.

Brofist

Yes, the prices of ONE system's games would completely kill the point...

The stuff you guys say sometimes...

Not to mention they are ignoring the sometimes $70 or even $80 games seen during the snes-N64 era

It just seems very convenient to list all cartridge based systems and pass over the PS1, Sega Saturn etc.. because it doesn't keep that chart consistent.

vg260

You obviously have no idea how project management on a major product works. It makes all the sense in the world from a business perspective to develop the content during the primary development cycle. People are simply refusing to accept that reality. The content creators don't just sit around on their hands after the game goes gold waiting for the go-ahead to start on DLC. They have already moved on to other projects. Taking them off to pull them back on later has a big productivity hit.

Why do people care so much that it was developed after the primary development cycle? They're still making it to sell. Why can't people get it into their skulls that it costs money to make content. Game development, or any major business projects have VERY specific project milestones and funding. They don't just say, make all you can make until this date, and then we'll see what parts we want to sell separately. They make certain stuff to sell later. With an expected return later after launch this stuff would not have been created.

Not a 1:1 example, but they filmed all 3 Lord of the Rings movies in one stretch. Wouldn't have made good sense to wait a year in between filming each one, right? The idea is similar here.

You can be damn sure other companies have completed content as well when a game launches. They just do a better job of keeping people in the dark by keeping it on their servers. I guess as long as I don't look behind the curtain, everything is fantastic and being kept ignorant is awesome.

It absolutely would've been fine for them to charge money for extra characters X months down the line for Y dollars as a downloadable content like most other games in the industry do. However the content is already done and on your disc.
Don't act like Capcom's methodology for DLC is standard for the fucking industry either.

Aside from financial concerns this also brings up the question of what to do with the DLC characters as people who pirate or have access to a pirated version of the game are going to have months of experience with the new fighters over the people who are legitimately going to buy the content that they're paying to unlock on the disc. Capcom is so anti-consumer it's not even funny anymore.

I just remembered the shit that went on with Final Fight and another game when the PSN went down last year because nobody could play their legitimate games because of the insane, backwards DRM on that shit.

You completely and utterly ignored the point that the content benig already done and on the disc cost EXTRA time and money, that they planned for, otherwise they wouldn't have made it in the first place. So really, what you are literally saying is that a company can only ever put out one single game and never add to it, because, since you ignore the extra development costs of making DLC, then everything they make after the fact they shouldn't charge for. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER OR NOT IT IS ON THE DISC, THE EXTRA CONTENT WAS CREATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BEING DLC, OTHERWISE WE WOULDN'T GET THAT EXTRA CONTENT AT ALL.

And to suggest any fault on Capcom's part for hackers performing illegal activities in order to get an edge is completely insane. It is like you blaming a bank for someone having a financial edge over you because they robbed said bank. What an insanely ridiculous suggestion.

All these locked characters were going to be a selling point for the Vita version right?

It seems pretty shady that all the work is already done for that this far off from the vita release date and everything is packaged and ready to be sold to console owners.

You obviously have no idea how project management on a major product works. It makes all the sense in the world from a business perspective to develop the content during the primary development cycle. People are simply refusing to accept that reality. The content creators don't just sit around on their hands after the game goes gold waiting for the go-ahead to start on DLC. They have already moved on to other projects. Taking them off to pull them back on later has a big productivity hit.

Why do people care so much that it was developed after the primary development cycle? They're still making it to sell. Why can't people get it into their skulls that it costs money to make content. Game development, or any major business projects have VERY specific project milestones and funding. They don't just say, make all you can make until this date, and then we'll see what parts we want to sell separately. They make certain stuff to sell later. With an expected return later after launch this stuff would not have been created.

Not a 1:1 example, but they filmed all 3 Lord of the Rings movies in one stretch. Wouldn't have made good sense to wait a year in between filming each one, right? The idea is similar here.

Entitled gamers feel entitled to stuff.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yall know you're speaking from two different sides? One views it from a consumer's point and the other from a businessman's point.

Yall know you're speaking from two different sides? One views it from a consumer's point and the other from a businessman's point.

And one who understands both AND understands what a development cycle is aren't nearly as outraged as some others are.

TheOGB

Banned
Exactly. It also doesn't mean we like how Capcom is handling it.

We'd ALL love the 12 DLC characters in the core game.
Yes, and I'm sure we'd all like if we didn't have to wait for them to make the Vita version go from 10fps to 25fps.

:p

Hero

No, I understand the logistics of it completely for a company. Why the fuck do I care if Capcom saves or makes money like this? Answer: I don't. They should be aiming to sell as many copies of the disc at possible and maybe, just maybe they would've been rewarded for their efforts.

Why are you going to such great lengths to defend a company that just wants to exploit you? Do you not remember when we used to get extra console content without having to pay for it?

Also bad example bringing up the LotR trilogy. It took them over one year of filming just to do the footage for the movies but over eight years for production. I guess that's just "one stretch" to you though.

You completely and utterly ignored the point that the content benig already done and on the disc cost EXTRA time and money, that they planned for, otherwise they wouldn't have made it in the first place. So really, what you are literally saying is that a company can only ever put out one single game and never add to it, because, since you ignore the extra development costs of making DLC, then everything they make after the fact they shouldn't charge for. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER OR NOT IT IS ON THE DISC, THE EXTRA CONTENT WAS CREATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BEING DLC, OTHERWISE WE WOULDN'T GET THAT EXTRA CONTENT AT ALL.

And to suggest any fault on Capcom's part for hackers performing illegal activities in order to get an edge is completely insane. It is like you blaming a bank for someone having a financial edge over you because they robbed said bank. What an insanely ridiculous suggestion.

Oh man, how dare I not think of Capcom and their employees! They spent some extra time on it before releasing the game so I should shell out some extra money! Otherwise all those poor animation artists and modelers will starve. I truly did not think of their families on this one.

You do that, capcom laughing all the way to the bank

And? I'll be playing a game I enjoy for months then drop some more cash on DLC and play some more. Should I rob myself of literally hundreds of hours of joy because I am butthurt over some business decision? I play videogames to enjoy them not "send a message" to supposed evil corporations. At the end of the day the cost of this game and DLC will be more than worth it for the hours of enjoyment to be had by it. It's my money and I'll do as I please with it.

No, I understand the logistics of it completely for a company. Why the fuck do I care if Capcom saves or makes money like this? Answer: I don't. They should be aiming to sell as many copies of the disc at possible and maybe, just maybe they would've been rewarded for their efforts.

Why are you going to such great lengths to defend a company that just wants to exploit you? Do you not remember when we used to get extra console content without having to pay for it?

Also bad example bringing up the LotR trilogy. It took them over one year of filming just to do the footage for the movies but over eight years for production. I guess that's just "one stretch" to you though.

Oh man, how dare I not think of Capcom and their employees! They spent some extra time on it before releasing the game so I should shell out some extra money! Otherwise all those poor animation artists and modelers will starve. I truly did not think of their families on this one.

This is honestly your response to all this? You really couldn't be bothered to actually come up with a single rational counterpoint?

1. You SHOULD care how Capcom saves or makes money and how they make their business decisions. The more efficiently streamlined and budgeted their development cycle, the better product you are going to get. This is the case for any business.

2. Where is the exploitation? They told you you get 38 characters for $60. You get to make your decision based on whether or not that is worth your while. They never lied to their customers. If they want to sell extra characters, it doesn't matter how they do it. They never suggested you would be getting those characters for the $60 you spent originally. No one is forcing anyone to buy this game or its DLC

3. Your response to my quote is honestly laughable. There isn't even anything to latch on to in order to continue an intelligent conversation. You completely missed the point and then incorrectly and arrogantly responded with empty words. This really makes you sound like a spoiled child.

vg260

You said it mattered to you when it was made. This is an explanation of why it was made when it was.

Why are you going to such great lengths to defend a company that just wants to exploit you?

Who said I'm defending them? I'm explaining how this works. I'm trying to enlighten close-minded people on the whole picture so they stop and think before crying bloody murder. Take the data, determine its value, and make a purchase decision. I don't like having to spend extra money to get the full cast of completed characters. I canceled a PS3 order, in fact, for that very reason.

Do you not remember when we used to get extra console content without having to pay for it?

Absolutely. I also remember that during that same time similar technology to sell DLC was not available. I'd bet companies would behave no differently if they could do the same back then.

...and every company wants to "exploit" me. Gas, electric, phone, cable, sports leagues, etc...That's what companies do- they to get me to spend money. I'm not saying I like it, but I'm also not saying they OWE their services to me.

ok fair enough, bad example, but you should get the general idea.

Not sure where you got the starving employee thing from. What I'm trying to get across is that businesses spend money to create specific products for certain expected returns.

alstein

And one who understands both AND understands what a development cycle is aren't nearly as outraged as some others are.

The outrage is a sign people still care. When folks aren't outraged about Capcom's DLC, then Capcom has a real problem.

I understand dev cycles, but the only thing consumers should care about is if they're getting value for the money. How much is costs to make a game is irrelevant to its actual value.

My verdict: not yet. I'll wait for PC then decide. If I didn't have KOF now, Skullgirls coming up- then I'd probably have said yes.

Because of FR I let BBCSEX slide, I may give that a shot as well.

Icarus

How many publishers are profitable? And how profitable are they? It's not many and those that are are a lot less profitable than you seem to think they are.

I'd feel a lot better if they just said the game costs $80 or whatever straight out of the gate. Sort of fake hiding it at launch as "DLC" makes it look shady as fuck. Like they're trying to pull a fast one on us.

heavyness

38 characters is great for a fighter. 38/50 is not. You aren't getting the complete roster which is important for competitive play and local gatherings. There are plenty of things they could have made into DLC without splintering the roster. I don't find value in paying full price for a game when I'm only getting 3/4 of the core content.

What if Namco released Tekken on home consoles but made the time release characters from the arcade into paid DLC? Would that be alright?

Fighting games are a different beast from FPS games and rpgs.

Street Fighter 4 = 25 characters
Tekken Tag = 39 characters
MK9 = 27 characters

heavyness

Has anyone thought this isn't Capcom's fault?

If they had it there way, I'm sure they would send the game out ASAP with a good base number of character, then work on DLC. But because Microsoft and Sony have rules on how many times you can update a game, they are forced to do this. Same reason Team Fortress 2 was abandoned on the 360.

If everyone used to Steam for fighting games, we wouldn't be having this argument.

Top Bottom