• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games would like to come back to Scalebound to finish and release the game

• Thread starter Deleted member 774430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
This came from an interview from Eurogamer Portugal with Platinum boss Atsushi Inaba, when asked about Scalebound he had this to say:

"... Once again, this is a very good question! But that IP is 100% owned by Microsoft, whatever happens to that project, there is nothing we can do, unless Microsoft gives us some freedom to work with it again. But this is a game we love, and if we have the opportunity, that's something we'd like to come back".

It'd be nice if, much like Nintendo did with TW101, Microsoft lends them the IP to finish the project and release it with a kickstarter campaign maybe. After all i don't think Microsoft would do much with it in its current state.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
lol first they fuck it up and then they want to work with it again? no thanks.

I think they'd hope Microsoft gives them more freedom to make the game Platinum wanted.

The big problem they had originally (from my understanding, reading the interviews) is that essentially the two companies wanted to make two different games: Platinum more related to their other action games, usually more linear and with that arcade feel, while Microsoft wanted that big multiplayer open world action game.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolino840

This came from an interview from Eurogamer Portugal with Platinum boss Atsushi Inaba, when asked about Scalebound he had this to say:

"... Once again, this is a very good question! But that IP is 100% owned by Microsoft, whatever happens to that project, there is nothing we can do, unless Microsoft gives us some freedom to work with it again. But this is a game we love, and if we have the opportunity, that's something we'd like to come back".

It'd be nice if, much like Nintendo did with TW101, Microsoft lends them the IP to finish the project and release it with a kickstarter campaign maybe. After all i don't think Microsoft would do much with it in its current state.
Why? So they can release the game on all platforms but not on Xbox?

Mr Hyde

Wasn't there a rumor about Scalebound on its way to Switch? Would be funny if P acquired the rights and made a Kickstarter to release it on all platforms except Xbox. And it gets lauded as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

CAB_Life

Main character was so cringe that I’d need a character creator, but I do love me some big ass dragons—I even played Lair to completion lol. I‘m actually down with the MP element, too, as that’s how I spend most of my gaming hours these days.

mejin

Wasn't there a rumor about Scalebound on its way to Switch? Would be funny if P acquired the rights and made a Kickstarter to release it on all platforms except Xbox. And it gets lauded as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

you are mean.

CeeJay

Microsoft threw a shed load of money Platinum's way with nothing to show for it except a lot of egg on their faces. I wouldn't imagine MS would be very willing to do Platinum any favours with this IP let alone just give it to them. I think we can assume at this point that it's dead unless something very surprising happens.

Enjay

Banned
It'll never be confirmed cause professionalism and litigation but it looks pretty strongly like platinum games were pulling a gearbox colonial marines type scheme on microsoft.

-Troid-

Banned
Scalebound looked like an interesting idea. I'm a big P* fan so at the time Scalebound was announced (and Neir Automata hadn't been yet) having a Platinum game on the Xbox was one reason I got one over the PS4. Obviously that decision backfired but I was able to play Automata later anyways so I'm not too miffed.

Still Scalebound revisited on Next gen could be good. Since Microsoft is so gung ho on getting talent for the Series X maybe they could get Platinum to revisit it? Wishful thinking I know.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe Tencent’s investment is giving them more money to do what they want. They just need MS to do their thing and make it happen. I wanted to play Scalebound. Obviously it took some unseen changes and a whole lot of time to come around to it. Maybe Scalebound was too ambitious. It obviously could be a very good game.

Last edited:
MS should keep their IP and hopefully one of MS 1st party studios will one day finish this or reboot it. P* will probably release this on the PS4/Switch/PC and Xbox gets kicked to the curb again.

I love my Xbox, im not a hater, but MS did tons of mistakes with that console. And canceling Scalebound was huge, i love platinum games and i loved SB premise.

Xbox for me now is forza, ki/ki classics, Cuphead, Ori and Kodi machine. That's it.

Look xbox 360, they really dropped the ball this gen.

sublimit

Banned
I like how you conveniently blamed anything you dont like on MS. I dont remember a single Xbox game having a similar protagonist.
If you can't see how stereotypical the main character was designed in order to appeal to Western gamers (especially to many American ones) then you need to remove your MS glasses. Same goes for the main character of Sunset Overdrive. These games were part of MS's plans long before they came out and they fitted in their plans to grab the attention of the American market.
Scalebound was also full of QTEs. Do you remember what other games were full of QTEs? Ryse.Quantum Break. That was also part of MS's plan to push cinematic games and bridge the gap between games and tv. Yes PG had QTEs in their games before but nothing in the extend of that atrocious gameplay they showed at E3 2014.

So don't pretend that MS doesn't get in the way of development. In fact this is the biggest fear most of its objective fans have with their recent acquisitions,that they will get in the way of the studios and shoehorn their own decisions that their marketing departments believe that appeal to gamers.
And like it or not this is one of the biggest differences MS has with both Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to say, i wish this game turns real again.

That trailer with he listening prodigy and ready to battle was awesome! I really hope they release this game someday.

Fbh

I don't get the obsession with this game. What was shown looked generic and unremarkable.

Won't deny that it looked rough, and the main character looked like discount bin Nero from DMC (even the voice acting sounds similar).

But generic? What other over the top action adventure games are there where you fight alongside a big dragon and with full 4 player coop support for the entire campaign?

Breakage

Won't deny that it looked rough, and the main character looked like discount bin Nero from DMC (even the voice acting sounds similar).

But generic? What other over the top action adventure games are there where you fight alongside a big dragon and with full 4 player coop support for the entire campaign?
I was referring to the art direction. But generally the game just didn't look that interesting.

I thought the whole modern fantasy look was too silly but the combat is very FFXV-esque and I loved that game, so, mixed feelings.

I think they'd hope Microsoft gives them more freedom to make the game Platinum wanted.

The big problem they had originally (from my understanding, reading the interviews) is that essentially the two companies wanted to make two different games: Platinum more related to their other action games, usually more linear and with that arcade feel, while Microsoft wanted that big multiplayer open world action game.

If MS had any sense, they'd let P* do what they do and get out of the way. (Speaking from a gamer's point of view - not necessarily a financial one.)

Aidah

I'd love to see it brought back with its original vision, and multiplatform (well, PC and whatever else). It's too big for Kickstarter though.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If you can't see how stereotypical the main character was designed in order to appeal to Western gamers (especially to many American ones) then you need to remove your MS glasses. Same goes for the main character of Sunset Overdrive. These games were part of MS's plans long before they came out and they fitted in their plans to grab the attention of the American market.
Scalebound was also full of QTEs. Do you remember what other games were full of QTEs? Ryse.Quantum Break. That was also part of MS's plan to push cinematic games and bridge the gap between games and tv. Yes PG had QTEs in their games before but nothing in the extend of that atrocious gameplay they showed at E3 2014.

So don't pretend that MS doesn't get in the way of development. In fact this is the biggest fear most of its objective fans have with their recent acquisitions,that they will get in the way of the studios and shoehorn their own decisions that their marketing departments believe that appeal to gamers.
And like it or not this is one of the biggest differences MS has with both Sony and Nintendo.
Someone who indulges in blind console wars shouldnt be asking others to "see". You are literally making stuff up on the fly and bending them to fit your agenda.
My question was give me a single Xbox character since its inception thats like your projected stereotype and you chose to ignore that and gave me a typical console war template essay. For example Master Chief or Marcus Phoenix(or even any niche Xbox game).
Sunset Overdrive was originally supposed to be a PlayStation exclusive but went to Xbox because back than Insomniac wanted to maintain ownership of the IP. Even now its their second favorite game. They never made it that way because of Microsoft. Honestly, its a PlayStation franchise now.
Also, it is Sony that pushes "cinematic games". Control had the same gameplay as Quantum Break, and MS had nothing to do with it. And those definitely were not the only games they made. I wouldnt call KI or Ori cinematic.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Requesting something like this really shows how gamers don't understand how the business works or have the illusion that devs cannot do anything wrong and publishers are always the villians.

Platinum fucked it up, Microsoft lost a bunch of money there. If there was anything that was worth saving, Microsoft would have taken it to another team. They thought it would be best to trash it and they were most likely right.

It would be a really stupid move to Microsoft o award Platinum the IP as a prize for their shitty performance. I also don't get why people are so invested in this if it's a totally new IP out of which we don't know much. If another dev wanted they could just copy the main mechanics and build a new game out of it.

It's not worth it. Let it die.

Let's hope Platinum spends their own money developing what they want,

ExpandKong

Banned
Microsoft threw a shed load of money Platinum's way with nothing to show for it except a lot of egg on their faces. I wouldn't imagine MS would be very willing to do Platinum any favours with this IP let alone just give it to them.

I dunno, maybe that's exactly why they'd do it.

If they've already sunk a considerable bit of money into it before pulling the plug, this could be a way for them to see some kind of return on that investment - by pretty much doing exactly what Nintendo did with W101.

"Alright you can have the IP for now to finish the game up and release it however you like but you have to find other funding for it and still release it on our platform too."

Of course, yeah they'd probably need a pretty penny more than what they needed for W101.

sublimit

Banned
Someone who indulges in blind console wars shouldnt be asking others to "see".

I've been in this forum for more than a decade and the people who know me know that i have no problem criticizing heavily ALL companies. In fact a lot of people believe i'm anti-Sony. You can easily browse through my post history (you don't have to search for too long) and you'll see that i actually criticize Sony way more often than MS.

But hey keep on making stupid assumptions based on your own fanboyism.

You are literally making stuff up on the fly and bending them to fit your agenda.

Excuse me? What exactly did i made up? Was it the fact of how similar the main characters of Scalebound and Sunset Overdrive looked?And at a time that both games were targeting more or less the same release windows?

My question was give me a single Xbox character since its inception thats like your projected stereotype and you chose to ignore that and gave me a typical console war template essay.

Selective reading much? I gave you an example.

For example Master Chief or Marcus Phoenix(or even any niche Xbox game).

Different times have different trends. Back in the time of Gears for example the designs of bulky Space Marines were very popular and it was partly why Epic chose that certain style. Those characters followed trends designed to appeal to the majority of American gamers back then. Did MS asked Epic to make characters like that? We don't know that but we do know they were mainstream AF.

Sunset Overdrive was originally supposed to be a PlayStation exclusive but went to Xbox because back than Insomniac wanted to maintain ownership of the IP. Even now its their second favorite game. They never made it that way because of Microsoft. Honestly, its a PlayStation franchise.
Also, it is Sony that pushes "cinematic games". Control had the same gameplay as Quantum Break, and MS had nothing to do with it. And those definitely were not the only games they made. I wouldnt call KI or Ori cinematic.
Finally you talk about SO.
Firstly can you provide a link that proves that SO was suppossed to be a Sony IP?Or are you pulling stuff out of your ass? Not that it matters because again you're missing the point of what i said due to your blind fanboyism that doesn't let you think clearly and understand what other people say. I never said that Sony doesn't make cinematic games. Like i said before i have criticized Sony wayyyy too much in the past and i have no problem in doing so again. I hate their cinematic games,i hate their censhorship policies and so many other things and i'm extremely cautious about the direction they go with PS5.

But like it or not they do have some things they are better than MS and one of those things is how much more creative freedom they give to their studios without forcing them to shoehorn mainstream designs and mainstream gameplay trends (like QTEs). Where is MS's Bloodborne,where's MS's Shadow of the Colossus,where's MS's Gravity Rush and last but not least where's MS's Last Guardian?And so many other games that don't follow mainstream trends? If Sony was like MS those games would have never come out this generation. Or do you honestly believe that MS would have allowed their studios to make games like these In the first years of XB1? If you believe that then you are either extremelly naive or an extremelly blind fanboy.

And lastly i said MS probably asked PG to make a character like that. I never said they definitely did that. Do you know what probably means? It means that there is around 80% chance that happened. But yeah keep twisting my words due to your MS persecution complex.
No one knows for sure so we all make assumptions based on what other games MS released around that time as well as what other games Platinum made right before and after Scalebound. I could be wrong and i would have had no problem to admit that if only PG came out and said that the design of the main character was 100% their own choice.

Last edited:

yurinka

It would be nice if MS sell them the IP and keep away from the game. Then Platinum reverts what MS asked them to include and Platinum didn't agree like PC version, multiplayer and probably microtransactions, in addition to maybe more things.

They forgot to include the Monster Hunter theme song in the trailer.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I've been in this forum for more than a decade and the people who know me know that i have no problem criticizing heavily ALL companies. In fact a lot of people believe i'm anti-Sony. You can easily browse through my post history (you don't have to search for too long) and you'll see that i actually criticize Sony way more often than MS.

But hey keep on making stupid assumptions based on your own fanboyism.

Excuse me? What exactly did i made up? Was it the fact of how similar the main characters of Scalebound and Sunset Overdrive looked?And at a time that both games were targeting more or less the same release windows?

Selective reading much? I gave you an example.

Different times have different trends. Back in the time of Gears for example the designs of bulky Space Marines were very popular and it was partly why Epic chose that certain style. Those characters followed trends designed to appeal to the majority of American gamers back then. Did MS asked Epic to make characters like that? We don't know that but we do know they were mainstream AF.

Finally you talk about SO.
Firstly can you provide a link that proves that SO was suppossed to be a Sony IP?Or are you pulling stuff out of your ass? Not that it matters because again you're missing the point of what i said due to your blind fanboyism that doesn't let you think clearly and understand what other people say. I never said that Sony doesn't make cinematic games. Like i said before i have criticized Sony wayyyy too much in the past and i have no problem in doing so again. I hate their cinematic games,i hate their censhorship policies and so many other things and i'm extremely cautious about the direction they go with PS5.

But like it or not they do have some things they are better than MS and one of those things is how much more creative freedom they give to their studios without forcing them to shoehorn mainstream designs and mainstream gameplay trends (like QTEs). Where is MS's Bloodborne,where's MS's Shadow of the Colossus,where's MS's Gravity Rush and last but not least where's MS's Last Guardian?And so many other games that don't follow mainstream trends? If Sony was like MS those games would have never come out this generation. Or do you honestly believe that MS would have allowed their studios to make games like these In the first years of XB1? If you believe that then you are either extremelly naive or an extremelly blind fanboy.

And lastly i said MS probably asked PG to make a character like that. I never said they definitely did that. Do you know what probably means? It means that there is around 80% chance that happened. But yeah keep twisting my words due to your MS prosecution complex.
No one knows for sure so we all make assumptions based on what other games MS released around that time as well as what other games Platinum made right before and after Scalebound. I could be wrong and i would have had no problem to admit that if only PG came out and said that the design of the main character was 100% their own choice.

Gears of War was always supposed to be that way before it was pitched to Microsoft

SNYMA

Neo Member
I can see NT rebooting the game and make a spiritual successor to DmC. That would be cool.

Top Bottom