• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

playing metal gear 3 for the first time - help a noob out

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm not a big metal gear fan. i played most of the way through the first, and really liked it, but never could get into part 2. i picked up mgs3 the other day cause it was cheap, the praise it got at gaf, and because the gameplay changes looked interesting to me.

so far, i'm liking it, though i'm still having some major issues with the camera and controls. for the most part, i think its just going to take a while to adjust to both the camera, and the complicated controls. there is just sooo much you can do, its a bit overwhelming...

i created this thread to ask some of you guys some tips on how to play the game, what abilities are really usefull, and just a few random questions.

first question... how the fuck do i grab the guards? i've stalked right up behind them, and when i hit circle, snake just punches them.

I've been sneaking through the jungle so far, but i'd like to take out a guard or two, especially where they begin to overlap in patrols. seems it would make my passage a bit easier, plus, breaking necks is fun :)

second, should i really be concerned with ammo? is it hard to come by?

and third, crossing that first bridge, i've noticed some goodies stashed underneath the ledge on the opposite side. however, every time i try to fall off the side to grab the ledge and pull myself to them, snake just falls to his death. what do i need to do to have him grab that edge?

any tips or answers would be appreciated

Solid

hold down circle to grab iirc.

try pressing triangle after you fall. he grabs by doing so. you can get to that place in another way though.

oh and to sneak up on the guards use the digital cross, that way they wont hear you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
and third, crossing that first bridge, i've noticed some goodies stashed underneath the ledge on the opposite side. however, every time i try to fall off the side to grab the ledge and pull myself to them, snake just falls to his death. what do i need to do to have him grab that edge?
Cross the bridge and just go around the path that leads down towards that ledge. You'll spot it fairly easily, it's on the left side of the bridge. You can also grab the upper ledge and then drop down and grab the branch below - to grab it you have to quickly tap triangle button while falling.

op_ivy

ahhh, hold circle. thanks, that should help out a ton :p

by the way, the aligators are really lame. like "pitfall" lame. they really just lay there and open their mouths every now and then? :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
you should check out the 'specials' menu in the main menu in the game. it explains some basic moves with video included...they're pretty helpful if you dont want to go through the instruction manual

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
op_ivy said:
ahhh, hold circle. thanks, that should help out a ton :p

by the way, the aligators are really lame. like "pitfall" lame. they really just lay there and open their mouths every now and then? :lol
Toss a nade into their mouth for an easy meal.

op_ivy

Wario64 said:
you should check out the 'specials' menu in the main menu in the game. it explains some basic moves with video included...they're pretty helpful if you dont want to go through the instruction manual

ahh, thanks. i definitely will. i played around chasing monkies earlier to help learn the absolute basics. pretty funny intermission there (snake - "I'm on vacation... couldnt you have got sam or gabe to do this?")

by the way, is there any way to load a saved game while you have a game in progress? i'm saving fairly often, and any time i've been spotted and chased by 10 guards, i'd like to just revert to my last save...

Vagrant

op_ivy said:

You should try going near them in deep water. :D

Solid

op_ivy said:
by the way, is there any way to load a saved game while you have a game in progress? i'm saving fairly often, and any time i've been spotted and chased by 10 guards, i'd like to just revert to my last save...
dont think so. if you get spotted just kill the guards and hide. it's not like in mgs2 where guards are constantly respawning if you are in alert mode. if you kill them before they call for backup you will be fine.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
fastest way to reload the game is to hold L1+L2+R1+R2+SELECT+START ...it soft resets to the title screen

dark10x

TheDuce22 said:
Does anyone else have a problem with the dialog skipping on a slim ps2 but not a regular one.

No, the dialog has skipped (in codec scenes) on every single PS2 I've ever tried the game on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
playing this game without hdloader sucks :p i feel like my ps2 is dying whenever i use the actual disc

jett

D-Member
CQC...you must learn this:

Grab a enemy by holding down the circle button(don't juse press it). From there, you can do a variety of things:

a) Press the left analog stick to any direction and quickly press the circle button again to throw the enemy to the floor. Once this is done, you can hold them hostage if you draw your gun immediately in first person view.

b) You can interrogate them by pressing the left analog stick inwards.

c) You can slit their throats by holding down the circle button hard.

d) You can choke them do death by pressing the circle button quickly.

You can also take them out from afar in First Person View and wake them up by doing the punch-punch-kick combo. As they are rising draw your gun and you can also hold them hostage. While they are rising their hands in the air aim at their head or crotch and they will be for their lives and give you items. :p

And don't worry too much about spending ammo, you can regain it quickly by doing any of the above. :p Have fun with MGS3. :)

Ceb

dark10x said:
No, the dialog has skipped (in codec scenes) on every single PS2 I've ever tried the game on.

I'm so glad they fixed this problem for the PAL release. Really annoying...

Ferrio

Banned
I like rarely used CQC, I think i cut like 3 throats, and threw 1 person. Well besides a couple boss fights.

ronito

Oh man to play MGS3 again for the first time. To go into fight The End for first time, not knowing what to expect. I envy you.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
The fight with "The End" is a love/hate thing. The first time it took me around 20 minutes. My second time around took around 2 hours (trying for a stamina kill). I loved every minute of it.

Solid

i still gotta get the end's camo. but i'm still kinda beat out since i played it through 4 times back in march.

my favourite boss fight was the one against volgin in the warehouse, the music is so good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
by the way, the aligators are really lame. like "pitfall" lame. they really just lay there and open their mouths every now and then?
They can bite you and also smack you with their tails if you get to close :)

Sander

jett said:
CQC...you must learn this:

Grab a enemy by holding down the circle button(don't juse press it). From there, you can do a variety of things:

a) Press the left analog stick to any direction and quickly press the circle button again to throw the enemy to the floor. Once this is done, you can hold them hostage if you draw your gun immediately in first person view.

b) You can interrogate them by pressing the left analog stick inwards.

c) You can slit their throats by holding down the circle button hard.

d) You can choke them do death by pressing the circle button quickly
My favorite CQC tactic is the 'bodyslam', not sure what it's called in the game. Basically just run upto a guard, press and hold O and then move the analog stick left/right/back. You slam them to the ground leaving them unconscious. Very fast and effective way to dispose of a guard. They will probably hear you since you are running, but it doesn't matter since they have no time to react, they are down before they know it. Beats the lame stalking, way too slow.

You can take out loads of guards like this very fast and easy. When you get to this point it's nice to think back to your first time playing MGS3 and how horrible you were (as was the case for me at least :lol ).

Bring on Subsistence!

impirius

Sander said:
My favorite CQC tactic is the 'bodyslam', not sure what it's called in the game.
Yeah, about 3/4 of my combat was the slam. It's a one-hit knockout, takes up no ammo, and can disable a guard before he can signal an alert. It's probably too good, but I didn't feel bad about exploiting its usefulness.

Shouta

I beat The End in 10 minutes on my second try. I managed to find his hiding spot and basically chased him until I beat him. Was kind of hilarious seeing him squirm.

jett

D-Member
Solid said:
i still gotta get the end's camo. but i'm still kinda beat out since i played it through 4 times back in march.

my favourite boss fight was the one against volgin in the warehouse, the music is so good.

Hey retard, spoiler-proof your entire post. That goes for the rest of you too, talking about MGS3 bosses in a thread whose creator has just started the freaking game... bump the official MGS3 thread if you feel like talking about the GOTG again. :p

I was using CQC and stuff initially for the sheer cool factor, but I love the fact it didn't stop me from going Rambo on everybody's ass when I wanted too.

This game is god like. The ending is SO worth it :_(

ronito

jett said:
Hey retard, spoiler-proof your entire post. That goes for the rest of you too, talking about MGS3 bosses in a thread whose creator has just started the freaking game... bump the official MGS3 thread if you feel like talking about the GOTG again. :p

Oops! You're absolutely right. And I probably shouldn't tell him that J Edgar Hoover is the last boss? Oops! I said too much again.

op_ivy

ok, fighting the end now, and have a question...

this asshole is hard AND it takes quite a while... i seem to be halfway decent at finding the guy, but it seems i'll maybe get him one or two times, then the old man sneaks up on me and its game over.

is there any way to avoid having him sneak up on you, or is it purely random?

maybe after hitting him, i should immediately run and hide at a new location?

also, does going after the woodland creatures help at all, his parrot included?

Ferrio

Banned
op_ivy said:

this asshole is hard AND it takes quite a while... i seem to be halfway decent at finding the guy, but it seems i'll maybe get him one or two times, then the old man sneaks up on me and its game over.

After finding him and shooting his ass up, put on your thermo goggles. You can then track his footsteps and gun him down again at his next spot. Of course if you're playing on hard difficulties the rain kinda makes that a bit more tricky

Justin Bailey

------ ------
op_ivy said:

I used the directional mic and thermal goggles to nail him, you can also look on the map to find his position sometimes.

Try climbing trees, too

op_ivy

thanks for the tips guys. for the most part, i've been doing what youve mentioned, but my issue mainly is
when that old asshole sneaks up on me. it seems completely out of the blue, even as bad as when the guy was on the other side of the forest just a few seconds ago :(.

also, any ideas about killing his animal friends? it sure is fun, but i dunno if its doing much to help my cause

BigBoss

op_ivy said:
thanks for the tips guys. for the most part, i've been doing what youve mentioned, but my issue mainly is
when that old asshole sneaks up on me. it seems completely out of the blue, even as bad as when the guy was on the other side of the forest just a few seconds ago :(.

also, any ideas about killing his animal friends? it sure is fun, but i dunno if its doing much to help my cause

Don't stay in first person view too long or he'll pop a tranq in the back of your head and carry you back to the prison in Graniny Gorki. If you want some help finding him by using his animal friends then you should catch his parrot and release it. The parrot will fly back to The End thus revealing his position. Another easy way of spotting him is by using the Directional Microphone, it'll give you a general idea of where he is and after he runs away you can use the thermal goggles to follow his footprints.

op_ivy

ok, finally beat the end. awesome fight, you guys werent kidding. took me a while to figure out how to really fight against him, but once i figured it out it went fairly smoothly.
at one point, the bastard did some call to the forest and restored all his staminia and half his life! i found it easiest to find him with just the rifle scope, rather then the thermal googles. everytime i tried to use those and would shoot at him, i'd always confuse an animal right next to him for his head... plus, with normal vision, you can catch the cunlight reflect off his scope and or see some "Zzzzzzzz" if hes sleeping.

so uh, roughly how far am i? how long is the game? i think i'm at 6 or 7 hours now.

dark10x

op_ivy said:
ok, finally beat the end. awesome fight, you guys werent kidding. took me a while to figure out how to really fight against him, but once i figured it out it went fairly smoothly.
at one point, the bastard did some call to the forest and restored all his staminia and half his life! i found it easiest to find him with just the rifle scope, rather then the thermal googles. everytime i tried to use those and would shoot at him, i'd always confuse an animal right next to him for his head... plus, with normal vision, you can catch the cunlight reflect off his scope and or see some "Zzzzzzzz" if hes sleeping.

so uh, roughly how far am i? how long is the game? i think i'm at 6 or 7 hours now.

You are less than halfway through. I'd say you are between 35-40% of the way finished.

op_ivy

just beat my first metal gear game ever! :D

couple questions about the story/ending. some may need other games in the series to be spoiled, which is fine by me.

after the credits, is that ocelot speaking? he was ADAM?

what is BIG BOSS and foxhounds role in the other games... i seem to recall them being important in mgs1... can someone give me a quick run down?

shit, maybe i need a run down of both metal gear solid 1 and 2. i know the patroits play a big role in 2 at least, and what is the sons of big boss?

yeah, its probably a whole shit load of info i'm asking about, is there a good (brief?) metal gear solid story page?

as for the game, i thought it was pretty damn awesome. i still have some solid complaints with the gameplay and camera, but the attention to detail, story, characters, animation, presentation, etc, etc, etc, easily make up for most of my beefs and definitely make mgs3 one hell of a ride.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
first metal game??? get MGS1 NOW! then mgs2! you'll actually get to go through the timeline in sequential order unlike most of us

op_ivy

Wario64 said:
first metal game??? get MGS1 NOW! then mgs2! you'll actually get to go through the timeline in sequential order unlike most of us

heh.i did play to the torture sequence in mgs1, then quit. fucking killed my forearms ;). i remember characters and environments from the game, but basically not a single bit of the story. a metal gear was involved IIRC :p

i got mgs2 when it came out for xbox. got to some part where i was supposed to snipe some bombs off the different connecting parts of that structure, and quit. i couldnt get into that game at all. again, i remember enemies, environments and thats about it from the story. oh, and raiden sucks.

basically, i dont feel compelled to play through either again. i dont have access to mgs1 anymore, and dont feel like looking (unless the twin snakes would be worth playing...?). i think i could be becoming a fan of the series though (especially if the improvements they are doing for substinance makes it into mgs4), so i'd like to understand more of the storyline.

op_ivy

Azih said:
Worst stealth game ever combined with mediocre action game.

no way. worst action game ever combined with mediocre stealth. get it right, or get out of my thread!

VerTiGo

Banned
op_ivy said:
heh.i did play to the torture sequence in mgs1, then quit. fucking killed my forearms ;). i remember characters and environments from the game, but basically not a single bit of the story. a metal gear was involved IIRC :p

i got mgs2 when it came out for xbox. got to some part where i was supposed to snipe some bombs off the different connecting parts of that structure, and quit. i couldnt get into that game at all. again, i remember enemies, environments and thats about it from the story. oh, and raiden sucks.

basically, i dont feel compelled to play through either again. i dont have access to mgs1 anymore, and dont feel like looking (unless the twin snakes would be worth playing...?). i think i could be becoming a fan of the series though (especially if the improvements they are doing for substinance makes it into mgs4), so i'd like to understand more of the storyline.

Twin Snakes is the second best game in the series next to Snake Eater.

Piecake

Cutscenes music, and VA were all changed for the worse. I thought it ruined the atmosphere. Plus, the new gameplay additions made the game way to easy.

Oh, for your first spoiler question, the answer is yes. The second one in short is basically Big Boss was the leader of Foxhound (at least i think...), Solid snake joined up. Solid snake went into retirement. Solid snake was forced out of retirement to fight Foxhound in MGS.

The Sons of Big boss are his three clones- Solid, Liquid and Solidus. Each of heir genetic make-up was manipulated in a different way.

Top Bottom