• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

playing metal gear 3 for the first time - help a noob out

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
op_ivy said:
thats what i had heard... what makes the twin snakes remake sooo bad?

i dont know if it's just me, but i didn't feel the same impact that MGS gave me in Twin Snakes. the new cutscenes makes it very cheesy, the voices are different (even though some VA's return but it's like they're tired of saying the same lines again). music is different too, which is worse imo. it just didn't capture the same feeling when i played MGS

Dez

op_ivy said:

It's not, especially if you like the over-the-top direction..

IMO

MGS3 > MGS:TTS > MGS > MGS2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
op_ivy said:
It's like one of those movies that attempts to re-do a classic but somehow thinks that adding a bunch of extra crap will make it better. It loses a lot of atmosphere and the gameplay just isnt balanced properly. The idea of combining MGS2 style gameplay with the original game sounds wonderful on paper...but those scenarios just weren't designed for those controls and things end up feeling really odd. Oh, and it lacks a lot of polish and attention to detail.

It's certainly not bad, but it does not compare to the three Kojima directed MGS games.

You should play the original PSX game first then move onto MGS2 on the PS2 (avoid the XBOX and PC versions).

If you were able to handle the camera in MGS3, you'll be fine with the other two as the more constricted environments work better with the chosen camera. MGS3's wide open areas does work well with the camera (thankfully, MGS3-S will add a Splinter Cell style camera and MGS4 will use that as well).

I'm sure you'll enjoy MGS1, but I don't know about MGS2. I think the best thing to do with MGS2 is to go into it expecting some really wierd shit. If you are expecting a crazy ass game, you should be OK. I loved it to death, but it seems that most others did not.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
I thought Twin Snakes was pretty fun, BUT I played it before playing the original in fact I only just today bought the original MGS

Socreges

Banned
dark10x said:
I think the best thing to do with MGS2 is to go into it expecting some really wierd shit. If you are expecting a crazy ass game, you should be OK.
So this is what MGS2 fans have been reduced to?? :lol ;)

Top Bottom