• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

sajj316

Marrshu said:
0.54 seconds? I dunno, I don't think games of this size are going to take that long no matter where you put it. :lol

wtb screen config options.

Right, which makes for the case of defaulting to USB. Shouldn't have to touch your nose by having your arm reach around your head.

I guess that got me to try out Awesome File Manager so it wasn't a wasted effort. Interesting to see the PS3 directory structure and a lot of what you guys have posted makes sense to me now. I got lost in this devhd, devusb, devsd talk.

fubarduck

Ryu1999 said:
So if I'm still on the 3.41 jb, can I install these updated apps?

Nope, they're signed for 3.55 FW. I updated from my 3.41 JB for this, since they'll eventually get everything working anyway.

Fjolle

<@ geohot> | wow, i read psx-scene this morning
<@ geohot> | people thing *I* wrote the lv2 hash checker :p
<@ geohot> | i mean, i'm smart, but i really doubt i could've written that and slipped it in my jailbreak w/o anyone noticing

Are people happy now?

fubarduck

The new FBA isn't working with a lot of romsets that were working fine in the previous version. Says I'm missing stuff. Is there a log file?

So what are the chances of CFW being released that updates the PS3's codecs to allow it to play back pretty much every video and audio file?

I can see myself buying a second PS3 for MKV and FLAC alone. Also, will major CFW breakthroughs have their own thread or will this house all CFW updates?

KtSlime

Fjolle said:
Are people happy now?

Haha, yeah, people are retarded. :lol

Like I said 7 hours ago, he did not write anything special that was anti lv2 patching, he just advised against it because it is a waste of time and would be the first thing Sony changes in their next firmware update.

He got mis-quoted, as AngleFire said, when he said 'anti-patching' he meant his STANCE on patching lv2.
:lol

jumptoconclusions.gif

Mechanical Snowman said:
So what are the chances of CFW being released that updates the PS3's codecs to allow it to play back pretty much every video and audio file?

I can see myself buying a second PS3 for MKV and FLAC alone. Also, will major CFW breakthroughs have their own thread or will this house all CFW updates?

An update to allow the PS3's own player to play different codecs might not happen, but separate apps to play different ones may be possible, or a septate app that play loads of codecs. It seems easier (to me at least) for someone to make their own instead of tinkering with what Sony has.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ivedoneyourmom said:
Haha, yeah, people are retarded. :lol

Like I said 7 hours ago, he did not write anything special that was anti lv2 patching, he just advised against it because it is a waste of time and would be the first thing Sony changes in their next firmware update.

He got mis-quoted, as AngleFire said, when he said 'anti-patching' he meant his STANCE on patching lv2.
:lol

jumptoconclusions.gif

I'm not retarded.

< @geohot> my anti lv2 patching isn’t just anti piracy

Seemed pretty clear at the time.

KtSlime

Dani said:
I'm not retarded.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say you were, I'm my dialect of English it's not a very strong insult.

I'm not sure if you were in the IRC channel, but I was when it was said. I would show you the dialogue however my IRC client is a bitch and won't load the transcript, but it went something like this:

geohot: my anti lv2 patching just ain't piracy
flukes1: you mean your anti lv2 patching stance, right?
rck'd: if he was anti-patching in general he wouldn't have patched nas_plugin
geohot: i'm anti lv2 patching cause i think it's the wrong way to do things

Etc.

Without the rest of the conversation his one comment can be taken out of context.

No offense was meant by calling people retarded, sorry.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ivedoneyourmom said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to say you were, I'm my dialect of English it's not a very strong insult.

I'm not sure if you were in the IRC channel, but I was when it was said. I would show you the dialogue however my IRC client is a bitch and won't load the transcript, but it went something like this:

geohot: my anti lv2 patching just ain't piracy
flukes1: you mean your anti lv2 patching stance, right?
rck'd: if he was anti-patching in general he wouldn't have patched nas_plugin
geohot: i'm anti lv2 patching cause i think it's the wrong way to do things

Etc.

Without the rest of the conversation his one comment can be taken out of context.

No offense was meant by calling people retarded, sorry.

It's all good, dude. No worries. =)

ukas

Is there anyway to go back to the stock firmware? Downloading and trying to flash the stock doesn't seem to work.

KtSlime

ukas said:
Is there anyway to go back to the stock firmware? Downloading and trying to flash the stock doesn't seem to work.

Voila!! You PS3 console on firmware 3.55 is jailbroken now You can go back to OFW 3.55 just by using the same method you used to install 3.55jb but use the official 3.55 Update.

From OP.

*why does it feel like I'm the only person that reads all posts?

Hey GAF, what do you guys recommend I do? I own a 60 gig launch PS3 and want to hack my PS3. I am looking to buy the MOVE PS3 320 gig bundle. Which PS3 should I use for hacking and which should be my legit console

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Host Samurai said:
Hey GAF, what do you guys recommend I do? I own a 60 gig launch PS3 and want to hack my PS3. I am looking to buy the MOVE PS3 320 gig bundle. Which PS3 should I use for hacking and which should be my legit console

stick the 320 in the old BC model and CFW it. Stick the old 60 in the new slim.

expy

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Your preference. People might say use the 60gb since it's 'most likely' to die first. But I'm trying to obtain a 2nd PS3 to do the modding on that, and leaving my 60GB alone for all the PSN stuff (plus I'm too lazy to do the data transfer).

N.A

Banned
Host Samurai said:

Modify the 60 gig. You'll then be able to use a PS2 HD loader if one arrives.

thuway

Just got in from work GAF:

1. I'm at firmware 3.41, do backup managers work with ease on 3.55? (Should I upgrade at this point or wait it out - I am missing my GT5 :-/)
2. If I do update my PS3, will all my backups delete off my HD?

P.S. I have not CFW-ed my PS3 but I've been occasionally getting messages lately that I don't have the correct Hard Drive inserted or some shit during startup. Message goes away after restart. WTF?

N.A said:
Can I return to Official Firmware once jailbroken?

Yes. And any signed homebrew you have installed will still work.
I have a feeling this has been discussed already, but doesn't that mean you can downgrade to CFW, install unofficial apps, then revert back to OFW all while offline? And there should be no risk of Sony finding out unless the app for some reason accesses PSN...

Can someone smarter than me confirm or shoot down that theory?

RJT said:
Keyser Soze said:
An update to allow the PS3's own player to play different codecs might not happen, but separate apps to play different ones may be possible, or a septate app that play loads of codecs. It seems easier (to me at least) for someone to make their own instead of tinkering with what Sony has.
Cool, thanks for the info.

shagg_187 said:
Woah, they already released emulators? FUUUU!!

All current tools/emulators have been out for months on old jailbreaks for older firmware already. All that was done to the get them to work on 3.55 was sign them (a 5minute process). Everything that is coming out now (and in the next few days) has months of work already behind it.

expy

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
I have a feeling this has been discussed already, but doesn't that mean you can downgrade to CFW, install unofficial apps, then revert back to OFW all while offline? And there should be no risk of Sony finding out unless the app for some reason accesses PSN...

I believe it's been mentioned before, but the machine sends diagnostics/info to Sony at boot. Regardless you're signed into PSN or not.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Mechanical Snowman said:

No, PS3 uploads whatever you've launched to PSN's server when you log on.

expy said:
I believe it's been mentioned before, but the machine sends diagnostics/info to Sony at boot. Regardless you're signed into PSN or not.
Completely offline, though, with the internet turned off at the switch.

Would the PS3 record a history of installed firmware or what's currently installed on the HDD or something? Otherwise I can't see any reason why the machine would even know it's been hacked.

Edit: Eh. Too good to be true I guess, I wonder how much Sony prepared for this in advanced so they could recognise hacked systems.

Mechanical Snowman said:

Some people are saying that the PS3 could keep a log of everything you have done to it, and Sony could have access to that log when you go online, so regardless of the state of you PS3 when you chose to go online, there could be a chance Sony will know what you done with it days/weeks before...

I don't think anyone is 100% sure what access Sony have though, so everything is just speculation.

Also, no one is sure what Sony will do to combat this either... it could be just constant Firmware updates to fight it, or they could go extreme with temp/full bans to the console itself. Full bans are what MS does with the 360, so that could happen, but Sony always went the Firmware route with PSP, so that is more likely IMO.

MMaRsu

Banned
Obviously the best way to go about it is unplugging your ethernet cable and removing any traces left on your HDD ( delete everything through the awesome file manager ) and then remove that program and return to OFW. Then I'll go back online.

If ever! LOL

Keyser Soze said:
Some people are saying that the PS3 could keep a log of everything you have done to it, and Sony could have access to that log when you go online, so regardless of the state of you PS3 when you chose to go online, there could be a chance Sony will know what you done with it days/weeks before...

I don't think anyone is 100% sure what access Sony have though, so everything is just speculation.

Also, no one is sure what Sony will do to combat this either... it could be just constant Firmware updates to fight it, or they could go extreme with temp/full bans to the console itself. Full bans are what MS does with the 360, so that could happen, but Sony always went the Firmware route with PSP, so that is more likely IMO.

Can't you delete the recently played list? And what if you leave your Ps3 unplugged from the power source for a day or two? Wouldn't that clear a lot of data? Just a guess tho.

MMaRsu said:
Obviously the best way to go about it is unplugging your ethernet cable and removing any traces left on your HDD ( delete everything through the awesome file manager ) and then remove that program and return to OFW. Then I'll go back online.

If ever! LOL

No one, but Sony themselves, has access to the PS3 log system yet, so not everything can be removed.

linkboy said:
It would kick so much ass if someone signed the PS2 Open loader.

You can already use OPL. It sucks.

We will definitely get CFW that disables ps2 region locks and we might be able to run ps2 games directly from the internal HDD.

MMaRsu

Banned
H_Prestige said:
You can already use OPL. It sucks.

We will definitely get CFW that disables ps2 region locks and we might be able to run ps2 games directly from the internal HDD.

Not if you have a slim.

angelfly

Keyser Soze said:
No one, but Sony themselves, has access to the PS3 log system yet, so not everything can be removed.
We do have access to the logs and we can delete them. The only thing we don't have control of is the data that has already been sent.

Zoe

angelfly said:
We do have access to the logs and we can delete them. The only thing we don't have control of is the data that has already been sent.

We also don't know if they're really scanning the hard drive--which they claim they do.

H_Prestige said:
Well, that goes without saying.

You'd think...

Rich!

dak1dsk1 said:
There is also a signed PSX emu out.

Is it as good as Sony's official though?

I'd love a similar situation as the PSP, so I could rip all my PS1 games, and just have them play.

Dani said:
I'm not retarded.

It's not as clear as you make it out to be. What Geohot is saying that being against patching lv2 (i.e. "anti lv2 patching") wasn't just about piracy. It's also about the technical difficulty of doing so. Perhaps he tried, couldn't get it, and just said "fuck it".

Top Bottom