• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

xemumanic

dak1dsk1 said:
There is also a signed PSX emu out.

I was stupidly going to ask 'what's the point?', then I realized...........this is like pSX vs ePSXe, or for the rest of you, Dolphin/PCSX 2 vs the real thing.

I'd love screenshots and impressions of each homebrew app that works. I know we've heard quite a bit about the snes9x port, but now hearing about the playstation emulator brings about more questions. I'm willing to bet it doesn't work yet, but would love to be proven wrong.

Rich!

WTFing said:
I'm really impressed by the ps 'scene'. signing old useless pkgs.

Now that the jailbreak is ridicuously easy to do for anyone owning a PS3, with no extra hardware or effort other than a file on a usb stick, I assume a lot more effort will be taken into designing new apps.

Superblatt said:
I'd love screenshots and impressions of each homebrew app that works. I know we've heard quite a bit about the snes9x port, but now hearing about the playstation emulator brings about more questions. I'm willing to bet it doesn't work yet, but would love to be proven wrong.

snes9x and VBA run perfectly, with only one issue - there's quite a bit of lag on the audio. Jump on a mario game, or shoot on metroid, and it's around a second until you hear the sound. The wii's emulators are much better in this regard, so hopefully it'll improve.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What really is the point of a PSone emulator? Filters? Savestates? There already technically is one in every PS3.

Glix said:
Can someone link it in the OP?

When someone posts the link I'll add it to the OP.

alr1ghtstart said:
What really is the point of a PSone emulator? Filters? Savestates? There already technically is one in every PS3.

Can you play your back up PS1 games from the official PS1 emulator on the PS3? No.

alr1ghtstart said:

If the games can run in higher than native res, then it's worth a lot. Being able to access all the games from your HDD is also a large plus - very good for archival purposes.

LovingSteam said:
When someone posts the link I'll add it to the OP.

Can you play your back up PS1 games from the official PS1 emulator on the PS3? No.

Wouldn't it be possible to just get the built-in ps1 emulator to run ps1 backups as if they were psn downloads? Seems like extra work to make a new emulator, unless you want graphics enhancements.

RedSwirl

LovingSteam said:

I guess, but that's part of why Sony started selling PS1 games on PSN, even if SCEA is doing a terrible job of it. I don't suspect anyone with a Japanese credit card will see the need to use this unofficial emulator.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
H_Prestige said:
Wouldn't it be possible to just get the built-in ps1 emulator to run ps1 backups as if they were psn downloads? Seems like extra work to make a new emulator, unless you want graphics enhancements.
If it adds AA options and super sampling that'd be wonderful, but if not it isn't worth much.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I lost the link... It was seen in threads on other boards, that sum up the current working emus and homebrew. It will probably turn up again very soon. It was called PS3X.

EDIT:

PS3SX PSX Emulator -NOT WORKING/link removed
THREAD (PS3SX - PSX emulator released.)

RedSwirl said:
I guess, but that's part of why Sony started selling PS1 games on PSN, even if SCEA is doing a terrible job of it. I don't suspect anyone with a Japanese credit card will see the need to use this unofficial emulator.

Sure they would. Why should you pay for a game AGAIN when you have access to your own copy that you backed up from your own disc?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
richisawesome said:
snes9x and VBA run perfectly, with only one issue - there's quite a bit of lag on the audio. Jump on a mario game, or shoot on metroid, and it's around a second until you hear the sound. The wii's emulators are much better in this regard, so hopefully it'll improve.

It'll improve as long as there's someone dedicated enough to improve upon it. PS3 being a system with many users leaves me with few worries in this regard, at least for the SNES emu.

jsnepo

Just spent more than four hours figuring out how to create a HDD game out of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Sweet success with 3.55! I can't wait to show this to my friends. Hahaha! :lol

jsnepo said:
Just spent more than four hours figuring out how to create a HDD game out of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Sweet success with 3.55! I can't wait to show this to my friends. Hahaha! :lol

i thought this was still impossible. are you going to explain or give some screenshots?

Glix

Superblatt said:
i thought this was still impossible. are you going to explain or give some screenshots?

You can do it by editing the hex so that the ps3 thinks its a psn game. Then sign it. Its a long sucky way to do it, so thats why you don't know about it yet.

jsnepo

Superblatt said:

I didn't use a backup manager to load the game. I ripped the game using a signed Multiman. Used FTP to copy files such as the EBOOT.BIN, etc to my PC. Used the existing tools to modify and create a PSN package out of it. Signed it for 3.55. Installed it through USB. Copied the rest of the game files from the ripped game to the required folder. Booted the game and now I'm playing.

I used this guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLptY-MFFUM&feature=player_embedded

dak1dsk1

Banned
I have a question:

With geohot3.55cfw, is this possible:
Install geohot. Install ftp program. Copy over the Siren Blood Curse exe, from my PS3 to PC. Patch it, using one of the signers/patchers. Copy the exe back to the PS3 - and play the game without the disc? (The game installs fully to internal PS3 hdd, and yes, my copy is original)

MMaRsu

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
Marvel vs Cap 1 should work on Final Burn Alpha - it's a CPS2 emulator.

Plus it's not the gimped PSone low memory no tag-in version..

if only I could get FBA to work for me. I've tried the custom XML and everything..it just isn't finding my games :(. Still says no roms found for me. I'm kinda bummed out about that.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
richisawesome said:
Now that the jailbreak is ridicuously easy to do for anyone owning a PS3, with no extra hardware or effort other than a file on a usb stick, I assume a lot more effort will be taken into designing new apps.

Is the audio lag somethings everyone suffers from or is it on a case by case basis? I don't want to play games that have audio lag attached to them. It irks me way too much. Pretty much the only thing preventing me from just hopping on CFW.

RetroMG

I could only find on signed version of PS3X, and I was not able to install. Still looking, though, as it's one of my most wanted apps. It got me to wondering, though, if somehow a PS1 game could be injected into the files for a PSone classic, like they used to do with WADs on the Wii. Maybe it's a silly idea.

N.A

Banned
LovingSteam said:
N.A would you mind if I use some of the information from your Wiki in the OP? I already linked it but some FAQ's I'd like to actually include as well.

Yes it's fine.

MMaRsu said:
if only I could get FBA to work for me. I've tried the custom XML and everything..it just isn't finding my games :(. Still says no roms found for me. I'm kinda bummed out about that.

nevermind eh

mooooose

RetroGamer42 said:
I could only find on signed version of PS3X, and I was not able to install. Still looking, though, as it's one of my most wanted apps. It got me to wondering, though, if somehow a PS1 game could be injected into the files for a PSone classic, like they used to do with WADs on the Wii. Maybe it's a silly idea.
Nope, it's totally possible. As with Wii and WADs, the same thing has already happened to Sony on PSP with PS1 games being injected.

The only problem is the level of access current CFW gives PS3s. Once that hump is passed, it probably won't be long, though better than injected PS1 games would be a PS1 emulator that supports high resolution rendering among other benefits that the Sony supplied emulator don't support.

MMaRsu said:

Is your roms folder all caps

ROMS/FBA in the default hdd folder. ALL CAPS That made a difference for me.

RetroGamer42 said:

It's early days yet - I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we are able to create our own PS1 EBOOTs like on the PSP.

expy

Banned
MMaRsu said:
How long do you guys think it'll take before we hear of a Dreamcast emu?
It'll take as long as it takes the developer of the emulator to finish it, no time frame really.

Top Bottom