• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 more powerful than Xbox Scarlet, according to Game Informer editor

Riven326

Banned
With fps interpolation in Samsung HDTV it's hard to tell a difference between 30 upscaled to 60 and real 60 fps, but controls are more responsive at 60fps (that I can tell).

I think we will still see 30fps as a standard on xbox scarlett and ps5 simply because there isnt such a thing like enough performance. Developers will always aim for the best possible graphics. If games on scarlett would run at 4K 60 fps, then there will be very little GPU power left for improving graphics fidelity, and especially if they will use RT in games.
I agree. Most devs will target 30. It will be business as usual.

zenspider

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS doesn't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on MS systems looked the same or better.

I agree with your reasoning here, but X360 vs PS3 and XBox One base vs PS4 base? No way Jose.

Lukin1978

I was there day one on ps4 will be there day one for ps4. Uncharted 4 and horizon zero dawn are my favorite of this generation.

Journey

Banned
I see the slight differences, but to the average gamer playing on his wal mart tv, they won’t care. Over the years I’ve noticed these comparisons are only popular on gaming forums, but when you talk to people in reality, they don’t care at all if one game has more pubic hair on a 3D model than the same game on a competitive platform. They just get the system that has their favourite games and whichever their friends are playing.

I think you missed the point, being that BF3 developers literally sweated blood programming the Cell processor, using SPU deferred shading for BF3, yet at the end of the day, the 360 version was practically identical, if not superior to the PS3 version. My reply was to the person claiming PS3 was more powerful, but it really was in the same league, and in many ways, inferior to Xbox 360 despite coming out a full year later, a massive disappointment compared to Xbox vs PS2, or X1X over Pro, the year advantage were clear with those 2.

Tygeezy

With fps interpolation in Samsung HDTV it's hard to tell a difference between 30 upscaled to 60 and real 60 fps, but controls are more responsive at 60fps (that I can tell).

I think we will still see 30fps as a standard on xbox scarlett and ps5 simply because there isnt such a thing like enough performance. Developers will always aim for the best possible graphics. If games on scarlett would run at 4K 60 fps, then there will be very little GPU power left for improving graphics fidelity, and especially if they will use RT in games.
Frame Interpolation adds even more input lag on top of the already very laggy 30 fps experience unfortunately.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Their first parties sure waxed the floor graphically with anything on Xbox 360 last Gen, even professional sites agreed so I'll give the nod to Playstation and will believe the cell was just hard for multiplat developers to program for.

You keep repeating your shit and so will I. It's a consensus graphically ps3 exclusives we're setting the benchmarks, not Xbox 360. Your view of history won't change that.

Sony has been in gaming longer and has some of the best programmers, engineers, devs, etc they shine in hardware and software and I'll put my money on them any day. I'll bet in Cerny before on anyone at Micro on the console side of things.

Last edited:

sol_bad

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what console is more powerful. Most 3rd party games are going to look the same on both consoles.

As for first party, it's all about the developers and how good they are at programming. Between the PS4 Pro and XBX, the PS4 1st party exclusives still handily kick the XBX first party exclusives in the arse when it comes to graphics, even with the XBX being much more powerful. Microsoft's talent is unfortunately just not skilled enough to get the full juice out of their consoles, it was the same for the PS3/X360, the X360 was much easier to program for but the PS3 first parties still destroyed the X360 first parties graphically.

FStubbs

Their first parties sure waxed the floor graphically with anything on Xbox 360 last Gen, even professional sites agreed so I'll give the nod to Playstation and will believe the cell was just hard for multiplat developers to program for.

You keep repeating your shit and so will I. It's a consensus graphically ps3 exclusives we're setting the benchmarks, not Xbox 360. Your view of history won't change that.

Sony has been in gaming longer and has some of the best programmers, engineers, devs, etc they shine in hardware and software and I'll put my money on them any day. I'll bet in Cerny before on anyone at Micro on the console side of things.

Could it also simply be that Sony has very talented first party devs?

MagnesG

Banned
Doesn't matter that much, Xbox will focus on their multiplatform strategies anyway. Sony had a lot more to lose (in terms of potential) if their console is mediocre.

personally, i doubt it. The One X has showed me their commitment to engineering fine pieces of hardware and learning from their mistake with the XB1. They can absolutely build a better system then Sony; they simply have better minds that work there. Will they actually put in the same effort and love as they did with the One X? hopefully but who truly knows.

the most likely outcome is that they are virtually identical. these devs are working with dev kits, which are nowhere near actual retail kits.

ill end up with both so i dont really care, im just going off of what both companies showed me during the mid-gen refreshes. the one x is a work of art in every way.

ethomaz

Banned
personally, i doubt it. The One X has showed me their commitment to engineering fine pieces of hardware and learning from their mistake with the XB1. They can absolutely build a better system then Sony; they simply have better minds that work there. Will they actually put in the same effort and love as they did with the One X? hopefully but who truly knows.

the most likely outcome is that they are virtually identical. these devs are working with dev kits, which are nowhere near actual retail kits.

ill end up with both so i dont really care, im just going off of what both companies showed me during the mid-gen refreshes. the one x is a work of art in every way.
You don’t need better minds when you are a year late with $100 more budget lol

Actually it was a pretty easy task to build a better system with these conditions.

Last edited:

jakinov

It's all ultimately very subjective what games look the best especially with different art styles and goals. Personally, I do agree that the best looking game that generation was probably a Naughty Dog game or God of War game to me. Gears of War 3 though is probably up there too but below the ones I mentioned. I think saying that it wiped the floor graphical is nonsense. They arguably got the best looking games that generation but it's not like they pushed these games into a new generation. The PS3 was more powerful in raw performance. From a practical point of view that didn't really matter. Not everyone has dedicated team of engineers with ultimate monetary incentive to teach their developers how to jump through hoops to get out extra performance. The fact that PlayStation exclusives look the best really doesn't matter to a console buyer who's trying to decide what console to buy if the multiplatforms look worse. The reason they care about getting the more powerful console is so that they can play the COD version that's prettiest. Otherwise knowing that the console is more powerful but not actually leveraged in the games you will play becomes kind of pointless.

Sony being in gaming only really helps them from the brand loyalty and having existing relations and studios angles. Being there longer didn't really help them much with the PS3 hardware/software wise and it showed with all their poor decisions that pissed off devs and users beyond just picking the Cell.. Sony Interactive Entertainment (i.e. PlayStation) has really great game developers and has really smart computer scientists/developers working at their ICE team. It was hiring Cerny to lead the hardware side and moving the software engineering work of the OS to the America that likely really helped them on the software/services side. Not so much that they've been there longer. The different Sony teams were geographically separated, making bad decisions and not properly working together.

Whether or not Sony or Microsoft has better hardware or software engineers is highly debatable. Based on this generation, I would argue Microsoft can deliver faster, Sony was more innovative with their PS4 and have better UX designers. Whoever comes up with the better console can simply happen out of luck. It takes only one person to come up with a unique idea or have better foresight on a particular decision. Hardware wise, Sony was smarter at the start of this generation with their architectures and decisions. However, Microsoft got a new CEO who shook things up and restructured the hardware related divisions which effectively formed a new Xbox hardware team midway. This team which ended up creating a super compact powerful console.

Actually it was not. The GPU in the PS3 (RSX) was inferior to Xenos by a significant margin. 192 GFLOPS vs 240 GFLOPS. In order to make up for it, developers had to program CELL (which was a nightmare at the time) and use techniques like SPU deferred shading just to make up for the lack in RSX ALU power.

See developer notes on the use of SPU deffered shading for CELL processor for Battlefield 3 and their equivalent on Xenos, the slide claims that although there is no DirectCompute or SPUs on 360, Xenos, unlike RSX, has enough power to crunch ALU.
See slide 70 of Siggraph 2011

So all this nightmare programming was just to make things equal, not necessarily surpass 360. In real world scenarios, multiplatform games on 360 generally outperformed the PS3 counterpart.

So what was the result of all the work put into programming cell? Did it really mean that SPU deferred shading for BF3 would make it superior to the 360 version? or was it simply a necessity given the inferior GPU?

You be the judge with these BF3 comparisons below:

zbcGFhg.png

ERL1ETv.png

But Cell alone has more or similar GFLOPS than X360 GPU. Cell alone could render graphics, while X360 CPU couldn't :

Cell combined with RSX provide more FLOPS than GPU and CPU in X360. But like someone said here, problem with PS3 was really a complicated architecture.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

This just in

"To round off, Ybarra noted that being able to say "Where games play best" is something very important to the team."

That's pretty telling.

DESTROYA

Who has a 8k TV?
I’m guessing 99% of the people interested in these consoles don’t so not sure why both MS and Sony are tooting that horn besides saying look what I could do.
If anything I’ll be happy if they both have a performance mode for lower 1080p or 4K gaming for higher FPS in games.
Developers will have enough power for both consoles to make everyone happy.

Lukin1978

Next gen will be very interesting my next purchase will depend on price, games and online services. Power of the device comes after those 3 things.

[...] according to a random source of Game Informer editor

Of course it's a random source because from OBVIOUS reasons Reiner couldn't say who are the devs with whom he talked yesterday at E3. But this is the best and most reliable source you can get for now.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS doesn't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on MS systems looked the same or better.
Doesn't matter. The gap between the two probably won't be big at all so it comes down to the games. And we all know who wins that one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Both PS2 and PS3 released a year or so before the Xbox counterpart so Xbox being more powerful should’ve been a given.
Xbox 360 released a full year before PS3 (it also was not overall stronger, but it was more well-designed).

Mozza

Oh god,I think somebody saying on console makers unconfirmed specs are better then anothers is just pure attention seeking imho,I am pretty sure this time around both consoles will be pretty much on par with each other,and the jump in quality for the masses will hardly matter.

I always expected it to be more powerful despite the adament wailings of Xbox fans 'no way MS gives up the power contest' ad infinitum on every next gen thread.

has sony given clear info about ps5 RT?

MS has 100% hardware RT.....
whar about Sony?
Answers only with/from official Sony Sources pls.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If console users care about specs why not go for a pc lol
Because they may not exclusively care for specs. Guaranteed compatibility, ownership, physcial media, always-offline playability, guaranteed performance are points (besides exclusives) that are relevant reasons why I would always only ever buy consoles, not PCs for games.

Azurro

Banned
You vastly underestimate the folks who buy a Playstation console for these odd japanese games.

I honestly doubt it's more than a few tens of thousands, maybe a few hundreds of thousands at the most.

To be honest it'd frighten me to know there were that many pervert weirdos out there if it was more. 😛

Aceofspades

Banned
This just in

"To round off, Ybarra noted that being able to say "Where games play best" is something very important to the team."

That's pretty telling.

Ybarra, the guy who projected that Xbox One would sell 1 billion units 🤣

Aintitcool

Banned
You misinderstand.

Remote play is you accessing your console. Spencer said the scarlet will let you connect to other consoles, which are closer than yours, in order to reduce lag.
I think you misunderstand, you really think xbox will introduce a taxi game console system??? Where you loan your console and internet when you're not using it? Also you think a closer console will have your licensed games installed? What you think you understood is not realistic unless its and opt in program and microsoft pays you a percentage.
I can just imagine the horror of someone going on vacation and AirBnB's his xbox only to find than that he went over internet cap by hundreds of gigabytes.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

This just in

That's pretty telling.
Also very non specific and subjective.. almost like a PR catch phrase!

Aintitcool

Banned
So much for 13-15 TF beast :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think we will get 10-12 but who knows. Technology has a way of surprising in a year. We might not get real 15TF but equivalent to 15TF image quality and frame rates. Only because its fixed hardware and newer SSD and ram speeds.

I think you misunderstand, you really think xbox will introduce a taxi game console system??? Where you loan your console and internet when you're not using it? Also you think a closer console will have your licensed games installed? What you think you understood is not realistic unless its and opt in program and microsoft pays you a percentage.
I can just imagine the horror of someone going on vacation and AirBnB's his xbox only to find than that he went over internet cap by hundreds of gigabytes.
We will see

It is hardware RT

rdnartchkqq.png

PS5 and X4 will use "next gen" RDNA so cut down version of the chip that will launch next year for PC.

it's you assumption, nothing sure.

Sony: we have nextgen SSD solution
MS: we too!!!

MS: we have Hardware RT
Sony:............ silence........

Can it be that Sony chip is bigger but without Hardware RT and MS sacrifices pure TF power and get with smaller chip plus dedicated hardware RT?

Top Bottom