• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 more powerful than Xbox Scarlet, according to Game Informer editor

meanspartan

Call me a casual but I don't really care that much. I just think we have hit diminishing returns now in terms of horsepower. Hell, the PS4 and Xbone still feel new to me, can't believe this gen is already almost 6 years old (time seems to be moving faster as I get older lol), games still look amazing.

I think the new consoles will be close enough power-wise that many may not notice the diff.

Cobalt03

This should be very interesting.

aWkt0i4.jpg

The source is here. If Sony pulls this off without letting MS know the actual specs, keeps it cheap and manages to do a summer of Fall, that's going to be some good meltdown.

This seems very ambiguous. More powerful in what ways?

I have no horse in either race, as i game mostly on pc, but i think between the 2 launch consoles next gen, ms will have the stronger hardware. Substantially too. Just a hunch.

This is brilliant, let's all go with the 'hunch' of a nobody on an internet forum and ignore the veteran editor with extensive developer contacts.

Whichever one is more powerful, their probably won't be much in it. Games will be the most important thing and until MS shows me a better 1st party line up, PS5 will be the better system for me.

MilkyJoe

This is brilliant, let's all go with the 'hunch' of a nobody on an internet forum and ignore the veteran editor with extensive developer contacts.

MS have the "plays best on xbox" tag line, and Yabbra or whatever he is called, said that is important to the xbox team that they keep it, just a couple of days ago. If I was going to put money down, it wouldn't be on the blue team.

FranXico

MS have the "plays best on xbox" tag line, and Yabbra or whatever he is called, said that is important to the xbox team that they keep it, just a couple of days ago. If I was going to put money down, it wouldn't be on the blue team.
Well, if Ybarra says so, that settles it! I'm going to trash my PS4!
I mean, his job is telling everyone the absolute truth without any concern for selling his products, right?

Lort

Banned
I see the slight differences, but to the average gamer playing on his wal mart tv, they won’t care. Over the years I’ve noticed these comparisons are only popular on gaming forums, but when you talk to people in reality, they don’t care at all if one game has more pubic hair on a 3D model than the same game on a competitive platform. They just get the system that has their favourite games and whichever their friends are playing.

So to be clear the xbox 360 had more power than the ps3 including the cell. End of story...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Jup, whatever Microsoft says it's true.

Ar¢tos

Plays best on Xbox*1 is the same as Sony #fortheplayers*2
Its a meaningless catch phrase.

If there was any true intention in those phrases they would have the following notes:
*1 Except VR and single player games
*2 Except Shooters and MP games

Last edited:

Nethernova

I mean, his job is telling everyone the absolute truth without any concern for selling his products, right?

Damn some people are sensitive, power isnt everything you know? Who cares if the xbox IS more powerful if you prefer Sonys output?

Nethernova

Worst case scenario. But quite likely, I'm afraid. I hope the difference will not be too large.

Like it or not, Sony is the only company standing between Microsoft and a monopoly. And the day they attain that monopoly... a lot of vindictive SEGA refugees in this board are going to regret supporting Microsoft. I just hope that day comes later rather than sooner. The competition is really driving the industry forward at the moment.

I agree with this sentiment to an extent-i also do not think Sony having a monopoly is good either. Fierce competition i think will bring the best out of the industry. But in saying that, i do not like the way Epic is going about things at all with EGS

MilkyJoe

Plays best on Xbox*1 is the same as Sony #fortheplayers*2
Its a meaningless catch phrase.

If there was any true intention in those phrases they would have the following notes:
*1 Except VR and single player games
*2 Except Shooters and MP games

Don't be daft.

TBiddy

If we skip the hyperbole in your post, it does speak to Microsofts ambitions for their next console, wouldn't you agree on that?

Nethernova

Also, god staunch fanboyism is still as cancerous and retarded as ever. Kind of unbelievable some people can get so emotional over an opinion. I think MS will have the strongest launch mahcine, think, THINK. Opinion. If im wrong, cool. Ive read things that say both ways. My personal opinion is only because MS seemed to go hard at the tech wars this gen and is seemingly following the same trend for next gen so far. Couldnt give a FUCK which is more powerful-i have a 2080ti. Getting emotional over it is so childish.

FranXico

If we skip the hyperbole in your post, it does speak to Microsofts ambitions for their next console, wouldn't you agree on that?
Hyperbolic post or not, ambitions are not always met, when there are things beyond ones control.

You could base expectations on track record, not words.

Kumomeme

w
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS doesn't know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they are giving up the performance crown to Sony.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on MS systems looked the same or better.
well sony got their own wizard too

and ken kutaragi probably their gandalf the white lol

Last edited:

llien

We are 1.5 years before the launch.
As I remember, RAM size changes were decided by Sony about 1 year before the launch.

Chips that are supposed to go into both consoles are still being developed, the might be better of worse than planned.
Hence at this point even MS/Sony do not know, what they will end up with.

On the other hand, it's interesting to know, if Sony aims to beat Microsoft at "most performant console". (we know Microsoft wants it)

Now, given that Microsoft plans to release 2 consoles at the same time, I wonder how it would align vs PS4 and PS4 Pro (not in terms of raw perf, but in terms of relative positioning).

Sony has:
-- baseline PS4 --
-- Premium PS4 (Pro) -- +50-100%

Microsoft could go for:
-- weaker xbox--- -X% from base
-- abstract "baseline" console --
-- premium xbox--- +X% from base

Or for:
-- weaker xbox--- -X% from base
-- standard "baseline" xbox---

TLZ

Banned
So you want MS to use your machine to make business with outsiders? That is hard to believe.

The feature is simple like it should be:

You turn the option to your Xbox One act as a Streaming server... so your own account can play game in any device outside your home. There is no XCloud or others Xbox One devices in the process... it is only you and your Xbox One.

Literally no difference from Remote Play that Sony offer since PS3.

I already do this with Xbox One streaming to my laptop. So what's the difference here?

Boss Mog

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up around the same with multiplatform games performing similarly on both at the same resolution.

I don't really care, I'm going with PS5 since I'm heavily invested in PS4 now with all my PS+ games and such. It wasn't that hard moving from 360 to PS4 since there was no backwards compatibility at the time and games with gold wasn't a thing yet. Not to mention all of MS' fuck ups from reveal to launch of the XB1.

Nothing this gen has compelled me to get a XB1, but if Specer can deliver on compelling exclusives this time I'll consider picking one up down the road.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I see them both being around about the same, with one console pushing X a bit more and one pushing Y. So, same as this gen, only much closer.

Neither side will want to give up that sweet power position, only this time, MS won’t be making the same mistakes as last time.... hopefully. Nobody won because of Kinect/tv.

I’m all set. I’ll buy an Xbox. I’ll buy a PlayStation. I’ll buy the new Nintendo if there’s one. I have a 2080ti and a ryzen 7 2700x 4.3ghz. I’m a gamer. I’m all set. Let’s roll.

Last edited:
360 was better in any game against the PS3 n PS4 is better than xbone in all games

*Most of the time, yes.

However, cheaply done "remasters"/ports on the PS4 in the early period to middle of this console generation suffered greatly from non-existent levels of anisotropic filtering. In the same games, the Xbone versions had crisp, clean textures. Whilst the PS4 equivalent textures looked like they came from a Dreamcast game from the early 2000s. As a former PC gamer, smudgy floor textures a meter away from my feet offend me greatly, so I "upgraded" to the Xbone versions for those games affected.

Personally speaking, I like how Microsoft has always focused on pristine visual quality with its generations of consoles. I love Playstation but Sony has *always* suffered in this area (PS1's forced dithering + "polygon jitter", PS2's emotional jaggies, PS3's horrid GPU + vaseline smear post-process AA, PS4's 2002 levels of anisotropic filtering, PS4 Pro with fake 4k and sub-standard image quality).

I always feel like I'm making some kind of visual sacrifice/trade-off to play Sony games. Whereas Microsoft always seem to offer a bridge to a more PC-like experience without having to power up my rig. As someone who prefers pristine image quality, I really want to see Sony focus on fixing this for the PS5.

FranXico

However, cheaply done "remasters"/ports on the PS4 in the early period to middle of this console generation suffered greatly from non-existent levels of anisotropic filtering.
That was not a hardware issue. At most, there was a bug in the SDK. And they did contact developers to try to prevent that from happening again.

PS4 Pro with fake 4k
Depends on the game.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up around the same with multiplatform games performing similarly on both at the same resolution.

I don't really care, I'm going with PS5 since I'm heavily invested in PS4 now with all my PS+ games and such. It wasn't that hard moving from 360 to PS4 since there was no backwards compatibility at the time and games with gold wasn't a thing yet. Not to mention all of MS' fuck ups from reveal to launch of the XB1.

Nothing this gen has compelled me to get a XB1, but if Specer can deliver on compelling exclusives this time I'll consider picking one up down the road.
This is the part that annoys me because that's exactly how it will turn out. These multiplatform games should max out the power of each specific console to the best of its ability and not be dumbed down for inferior power and performance. Alas... why I hate people. But I'm with you, I'll be going PS5 as well since I'm heavily invested. I'll probably grab an Xbox down the line just because I normally get all three consoles before the generation is said and done.

TBiddy

Hyperbolic post or not, ambitions are not always met, when there are things beyond ones control.

You could base expectations on track record, not words.

I agree. But as we both know, Ybarra has no way of knowing what the specs of the PS5 are, which means that the only thing he can say for certain, is that Microsoft has the ambition to make games 'play best' at their console. Why would that warrant such a response from you?

Aintitcool

Banned
PS4 Pro with fake 4k and sub-standard image quality).

I always feel like I'm making some kind of visual sacrifice/trade-off to play Sony games. Whereas Microsoft always seem to offer a bridge to a more PC-like experience without having to power up my rig. As someone who prefers pristine image quality, I really want to see Sony focus on fixing this for the PS5.

If PS4 pro is fake 4k, does that mean xbox one is fake 1080p 🤔

You are loco.

Last edited:

FranXico

I agree. But as we both know, Ybarra has no way of knowing what the specs of the PS5 are, which means that the only thing he can say for certain, is that Microsoft has the ambition to make games 'play best' at their console. Why would that warrant such a response from you?
Ybarra can communicate their ambitions and goals as much as he likes or needs to. That's part of his job.

At the end of the day, though, "ambitions", "goals" are just PR. They don't mean anything until the results.
They're worth as much as Cerny saying "supercharged computer" (which, for the record, meant nothing and even made me question his technical background).
It's ok to talk about what your ambitions were after you've shown results. "This is what we were aiming for" means something after you've shown something.

This is why I find citing vague PR speak (especially an uncommitted and vague one at that) as a dogma or proof of anything among the poorest kinds of argumentation I can think of.

(slight edit, but the main idea remains)

Last edited:
Top Bottom