• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro To Release Together With Base Model – Rumor (Based on Speculation/Opinion)

Bullet Club

PlayStation 5 Pro To Release Together With Base Model – Rumor

The current console generation is the first one that saw the release of high-end models of base consoles from Sony and Microsoft, and it seems like it will be the same for the next generation of consoles. While Sony has yet to say anything about the matter, it seems like a PlayStation 5 Pro model will indeed be released and, better yet, it will be released alongside the base model.

According to Japanese journalist Zenji Nishikawa, Sony is launching two different PlayStation 5 models next year, the base and the Pro model. According to the journalist, Sony has acknowledged the interest in a high-end model and wants to give players what they want right from the beginning of the generation.

Being a rumor, we have to take everything with a grain of salt until an official confirmation comes in, but there may be more than just some merit in what Zenji Nishikawa revealed, as he has proven to be extremely reliable, having talked about the Nintendo Switch Lite before the official announcement.

Last month, we had the chance to learn more about the PlayStation 5 design thanks to a leak which showed the dev kit’s design. The console has yet to be revealed in full, but some small details have been revealed earlier this year, confirming that the CPU will be based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen Line and the GPU will support ray tracing.
The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.
The PlayStation 5 console has yet to be fully unveiled. We will keep you updated on the console as soon as possible, so stay tuned for all the latest news.

Source: WCCFTech

Edit:
It's not. The video is just a tech journalist explicitly speculating and stating an opinion.

It's a BS article disingenuously presenting it as an actual rumor, but given the source, I am not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
I mean the source is trustworthy but the idea isn’t good at all. Microsoft the weaker side abandoned it, what makes Sony the stronger side do it?

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I wish I could say I wouldnt buy a more expensive version but I defintely would if it was available at the beginning of the generation not midway through

Hostile_18

Banned
If you see this from outside a hardcore gamers perspective it's really good move everyone gets what they want.

90% of the general public won't spend 500+ on a console. Were lucky to have the Pro version IMO.

Plus the PS4 Pro and XB1X has shown a two tier system works.

danielberg

Neophyte
Yeah no thanks shove it up your ass sony, i bought the pro in hopes it would mean a stable framerate and the best version of a game instead what happened to many games was that devs didnt give a shit at all and just unlocked the framerate meaning pro version fluctuating between 30-40 instead of a locked 30 or 40 or 60, several games have this issue and it makes the pro version worse than the vanilla 30fps locked ps4 version like holy shit go fuck yourself sony.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yeah no thanks shove it up your ass sony, i bought the pro in hopes it would mean a stable framerate and the best version of a game instead what happened to many games was that devs didnt give a shit at all and just unlocked the framerate meaning pro version fluctuating between 30-40 instead of a locked 30 or 40 or 60, several games have this issue and it makes the pro version worse than the vanilla ps4 version like holy shit go fuck yourself sony

Framerate = CPU which Sony didn’t upgrade.

base

Banned
Bad idea. After 4 Pro we all know most devs won't optimize their games for the Pro version.

Vawn

Banned
I hope this is true. I'll happily buy the best PS5 model.

I'm one of those who would love to have $1000 consoles, if they truly warranted the price. I realize that isn't a smart business plan though.

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah no thanks shove it up your ass sony, i bought the pro in hopes it would mean a stable framerate and the best version of a game instead what happened to many games was that devs didnt give a shit at all and just unlocked the framerate meaning pro version fluctuating between 30-40 instead of a locked 30 or 40 or 60, several games have this issue and it makes the pro version worse than the vanilla ps4 version like holy shit go fuck yourself sony

What? It's not Sony's fault of the developers decided to unlock framerates and make frametimes fluctuate on more powerful hardware.

And for what it's worth poor framerates still exist on base hardware where the dips fluctuate well below 30fps in some cases.

If you're overly concerned about stable framerates then you'd be best off investing in a gaming PC, that way you can have full control.

FranXico

Yeah no thanks shove it up your ass sony, i bought the pro in hopes it would mean a stable framerate and the best version of a game instead what happened to many games was that devs didnt give a shit at all and just unlocked the framerate meaning pro version fluctuating between 30-40 instead of a locked 30 or 40 or 60, several games have this issue and it makes the pro version worse than the vanilla 30fps locked ps4 version like holy shit go fuck yourself sony.
Maybe those devs are the ones who should go make love to themselves. Just saying.

Banned
They’d need to throw two cards in side-by-side for it to work. Can’t imagine what they’d need to cool a 24+TF machine though.

It’s obviously fake

you're assuming that the high end model is more powerful than, say, the Xbox Scarlett. I honestly think the base PS5 will be much weaker and the pro will be on par if these rumours are true

danielberg

Neophyte
What? It's not Sony's fault of the developers decided to unlock framerates and make frametimes fluctuate on more powerful hardware.

And for what it's worth poor framerates still exist on base hardware where the dips fluctuate well below 30fps in some cases.

If you're overly concerned about stable framerates then you'd be best off investing in a gaming PC, that way you can have full control.

Lol sony could simple demand a common sense requirement that a pro version isnt allowed to fucking run worse than the vanilla ps4 version especially not at the same fucking resolution no less!
Which is the case with FFXV on ps4 pro thanks to unlocked fps, it is the literal worst version of FFXV available to play in any way and that is just wild.
So unless sony actually requires a pro version to be you know a actual upgrade or at least fucking equal they can piss off.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
you're assuming that the high end model is more powerful than, say, the Xbox Scarlett. I honestly think the base PS5 will be much weaker and the pro will be on par if these rumours are true
That is basically using a Xbox One X hardware as a base model.
Sony won't kill themselves... they will do a new base line for the new generation.

There is a reason why even devs were mad with similar MS plans trying to hold the advance in the generation.

NeoGiffer

grand-big-mac-img.jpg

This cycle of "what if Sony copy all of Microsoft's bad ideas?", never made sense to me.

It's been happening this entire generation, starting off with "what if Sony made PS4 require always-online?"
And i can't see it as anything more than "If Sony just copy Microsoft's rubbish, then Microsoft might actually win!"

Last edited:

Romulus

First off, do you ever use periods?

It was known before Pro released that it was using the same trash cpu which is directly related to framerate. Not only that, it is known that console devs are notorious for prioritizing resolution first, so imo that's on you.

But for psvr we've enjoyed some really nice upgrades.

Also, what games are 30-40fps? I know of a few but you describe it like its widespread. In my experience its mostly 45-60fps with performance modes.

CeeJay

At E3 they said that they ditched the "two console" idea.
Really, maybe I remembered it wrong...
Before E3 there was a lot of talk of Scarlett and Lockhart then during E3 they only spoke of Scarlett. I don't remember anyone specifically saying that they ditched Lockhart, they just seemed to stop talking about it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This cycle of "what if Sony copy all of Microsoft's bad ideas?", never made sense to me.

It's been happening this entire generation, starting off with "what if Sony made PS4 require always-online?"
And i can't see it as anything more than "If Sony just copy Microsoft's rubbish, then Microsoft might actually win!"

but people will think its a good idea because its Sony. to be fair there's a lot on this page calling out a pro model from day one as bad

but people will think its a good idea because its Sony. to be fair there's a lot on this page calling out a pro model from day one as bad
The people asking for Pro models day one, are the same people who want $600-$700 consoles. They don't actually think it is a good idea, they just want what they want despite it being a bad idea. Next gen machine speculation had always involve fighting people who want console gaming to be taken away from the masses and go back to being the prevledge of those who invest in the Money.

Birdo

Banned
Really, maybe I remembered it wrong...
Before E3 there was a lot of talk of Scarlett and Lockhart then during E3 they only spoke of Scarlett. I don't remember anyone specifically saying that they ditched Lockhart, they just seemed to stop talking about it.

Phill said in multiple interviews that they are focussed on one console next gen.

Also in this Business insider interview. “Right now, we’re focused on Project Scarlett"

I wouldn't rule an "X" model out in the future though. But doesn't look like it will be at launch.

Shagger

Banned
Im not sure about this. If it is true (and I do mean IF), it tells me two things.

1) The PS5 going to be way more expensive than the PS4 was at launch. The cheeper console with be be exactly that, the cheep one, probably digital only or comprimised is some way to bring the price down, whilst the "PS5 Pro" will actually be the standard console.

2) They'll still bring out another equivalent to the PS4 Pro 2-3 years down the line anyway. Post launch consoles become much cheaper to manufacture, so it's to profitable for them not to.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The people asking for Pro models day one, are the same people who want $600-$700 consoles. They don't actually think it is a good idea, they just want what they want despite it being a bad idea. Next gen machine speculation had always involve fighting people who want console gaming to be taken away from the masses and go back to being the prevledge of those who invest in the Money.

and people will say the base model is holding back the pro model as they do now

It's good they're thinkign ahead of the curve this time, But it means that i can wait a year or maybe even two after launch to buy a revised model of the PS5 Pro and not a jet engine simulator for my living room at launch like i did with the PS4 Pro.

CeeJay

Phill said in multiple interviews that they are focussed on one console next gen.

Also in this Business insider interview. “Right now, we’re focused on Project Scarlett"

I wouldn't rule an "X" model out in the future though. But doesn't look like it will be at launch.
Scarlett was always Lockhart and Anaconda combined… So both of Phil's statements are correct If you consider Lockhart and Anaconda as two flavours of the same console. remember that Microsoft can and do often obfuscate their true intent with ambiguous language. As far as I can make out, all the "Lockhart is cancelled" talk came from a Brad Sams article and no one has officially said it's cancelled. The lead up to a new generation is always a bit of a cat and mouse game where one company tries to wrong foot the others. Look at what happened with the whole 4GB to 8GB PS4 specs.

Sounds like a bad idea to create class system environment right off the bat. On what will devs focus their optimization, base or pro? Or will they wait first few sales reports to decide. C’mon Sony, you’re not Apple and this is not smartphone business.

and people will say the base model is holding back the pro model as they do now
Well those who want expensive consoles, would prefer the base model not exist at all. But most end up at the Bargaining phase, suggesting that they would graciously allow a base model to exist because they are so kind and generous.

Console gaming is a middle class hobby now. It wasn't before, back when the market was smaller and in a similar niche as Virtual Reality is in today. Something that need a rather large monetary investment and not something you hand out to kids at Christmas easily. But it is exactly because the install base is now so large, that AAA games could exist at all. Enthusiasts could buy consoles, but they couldn't possibility financially support AAA games without the masses.

It really isn't about selling cheap consoles; it is about selling consoles at a price where there would be enough customers, that expensive games could be profitable. Sure, if the console is too cheap, then you can't have decent performance or graphics. But if the console is too expensive,leading to insufficent instal base, then there would be no financial incentive to actually make these beautiful expensive video games.

There is a middle ground here. It isn't about being as cheap as possible or as expensive as possible.

SNG32

If this is true which I think it isn't. I'll still get the base and if that messes up for some apparent reason later down the line I'll get the pro version at a cheaper price.

Banned
That is basically using a Xbox One X hardware as a base model.
Sony won't kill themselves... they will do a new base line for the new generation.

There is a reason why even devs were mad with similar MS plans trying to hold the advance in the generation.

a current gen 6TF gpu would have way better performance than the GPU of the One X, combined with a Zen2 cpu this console could easily run all next gen games at 1080p
and a 1080p console could be an interesting proposition for a lot of people

Romulus

How much performance could be gained if they built a Pro console that focused on overclocking the GPU and CPU? Then paired it with a much more efficient cooling system.

shoegaze

Depends on how much more powerful it is. I think releasing the Pro model at the same time would give the benefit of designing both units in a way that makes for a straightforward option of 30 -> 60 fps or 4k CB -> 4k native, or 2k supersampled. That would mean not just doubling the GPU power like it was done this time around. If most of the change is done easily by design, and not by optimisation, I would welcome it.

Top Bottom