• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro To Release Together With Base Model – Rumor (Based on Speculation/Opinion)

ethomaz

Banned
a current gen 6TF gpu would have way better performance than the GPU of the One X, combined with a Zen2 cpu this console could easily run all next gen games at 1080p
and a 1080p console could be an interesting proposition for a lot of people
Game development will be hold by that 6TF GPU.

It is a new gen and not some crappy continuation of that generation.
MS ideia was bad before, it is bad now and it will be bad in the future.

This guy has no ideia what he is talking about... perhaps it is his wishes lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How much performance could be gained if they built a Pro console that focused on overclocking the GPU and CPU? Then paired it with a much more efficient cooling system.
The rumored specs (8 cores 3.0Ghz for CPU and 11-13TFs GPU) is already the limit they can reach in a console form factor APU.

There is no room for overclock or more processor units unless they go 5nm (2023?).

What the guy in the OP is saying is that he wishes the base PS5 become the Pro model and a weaker version (with lower clocks and processor units) is released together.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I mean the source is trustworthy but the idea isn’t good at all. Microsoft the weaker side abandoned it, what makes Sony the stronger side do it?
They have more guarantee that it will fare better because historically PlayStation tends to sell better than Xbox (globally - which is the big picture).
More consumers equals to high/better chance of X and Z model adaptation, but not before data research and price point went into consideration.
The downside of this potential route (while I'm glad they are because it gives me an option) is that it kills a better mid-gen upgrade (specs/price ratio).

Shagger

Banned
a current gen 6TF gpu would have way better performance than the GPU of the One X, combined with a Zen2 cpu this console could easily run all next gen games at 1080p
and a 1080p console could be an interesting proposition for a lot of people

Since my 4K TV broke down and had to use an older one, that certainly works for me LOL

But yeah, I need a new TV...

ethomaz

Banned
They have more guarantee that it will fare better because historically PlayStation tends to sell better than Xbox (globally - which is the big picture).
More consumers equals to high/better chance of X and Z model adaptation, but not before data research and price point went into consideration.
The downside of this potential route (while I'm glad they are because it gives me an option) is that it kills a better mid-gen upgrade (specs/price ratio).
It hold game development advances too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if true i'll probably just buy the cheapest model. pc is my main platform now. can't sell me this shitty "pro" / "x" crap anymore. I have a "Super Duper Ultra Amazing PC Pro X +"

still...i might just buy a PS5 Pro for giggles. i mean, i can drop £500 on a CPU, £800 on a GPU, or £300 on RAM....a PS5 Pro will be dirt cheap compared to any of that.

Last edited:

INC

Well if there's. Pro edition.........ffs Sony u know how to fuck wallet

It best be have 1440p 60fps standard on all games if so, I'll buy if so

And freesync option please

ookami

I'd rather have them go for a pro version from start. One of the most appealing aspects of having a console has always been optimization since the hardware does not change. Having to custom your game build for normal / pro is a waste of time in my opinion.

FrostyJ93

If true i agree with it. $400 base model and $600 enthusiast model. Gotta consider the lower income people too guys.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
build a PC.

1. it'll be more powerful than anything a next gen console can provide.
2. if you had a PS5 today there'd be no games for it so the "exclusive" argument goes right out the window.
I've just upgraded from 2500k to ryzen 3700x, x570 board (since b450 did not worked and uefi was stripped down), rtx 2070, nvme drives and so on. Total of 2k usd.... and 2070 is "mid" range. 3700x is also not the most expensive. nvme is corsair mp510 which is quite "cheap".
Overall, it is expensive, boots longer than my old 2500k build, is very troublesome and boots 20 seconds longer than 2500k build did.... I don't think it was worth it.
Sure - I am playing games at 4k60 with freesync 4k lg ips and it's glorious (especially old games) but on ps4 slim I have only 12 games (almost all major exclusives) and it's still amazing. The fact that it was 200usd new and everything just works and looks great is a miracle.
Recent example is gears of war 5 coop. It stutters like crazy, coop font is very small, there are some problems with hud going off the edges. It's a bad coop time compared to 1,2,3 we replayed in coop on 360 this years.
I mean - I have 500 games on steam so my pc is not going anywhere but even though I have pc since I was 7 (i am 30), 360 and ps4 gave my so much fun

Last edited:
I'd rather have them go for a pro version from start. One of the most appealing aspects of having a console has always been optimization since the hardware does not change. Having to custom your game build for normal / pro is a waste of time in my opinion.
The PS4 Pro couldn't be built when PS4 launched. So what made you think PS5 is any different?

The Pro console isn't just a more expensive console. it is a console that is a half step upgrade made possible by the passage of time. Trying to force a Pro into existence years before it could be built, makes no sense.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Force devs to give graphical options we can turn on and off just like PC and I am cool with having two different PS5s. Why console games don't have the same options PC games do baffles me, especially when those games are on PC already.

I want a PS5 pro where I can turn shadows down, and eliminate motion blur/other post processing to try and get the highest framerate possible. I could give two shits what the dev believes their game should look like.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
This cycle of "what if Sony copy all of Microsoft's bad ideas?", never made sense to me.

It's been happening this entire generation, starting off with "what if Sony made PS4 require always-online?"
And i can't see it as anything more than "If Sony just copy Microsoft's rubbish, then Microsoft might actually win!"

Sony copying? From what I remember it was Sony tht came out with a pro version first and Micro copied. This situation is no different except timing of release having both release at the same time.

Either way I dont want this and will perpetually keep saying we don't need two versions of a console at launch unless one version is just brute forcing higher resolutions and fps but we all know it's not just that it's devs having to optimize for these consoles and one always suffers.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I would get the higher end model if they did that. In fact I would almost prefer that then buying a base model and then having a better one release later.

Sony copying? From what I remember it was Sony tht came out with a pro version first and Micro copied. This situation is no different except timing of release having both release at the same time.

Either way I dont want this and will perpetually keep saying we don't need two versions of a console at launch unless one version is just brute forcing higher resolutions and fps but we all know it's not just that it's devs having to optimize for these consoles and one always suffers.
No, it isn't the idea of a pro model that was insane and belonged to MS; it isthe idea of releasing the Pro model at launch that was crazy.
Sony made it clear that they made PS4 pro for a specific reason, and that reason does not exist at PS5's launch. It is meant to slow down people's migration away from consoles into PCs once the console started to age. This does not apply to PS5 when it is literally brand new.

While the Scarlet was originally meant to be a way for MS to maintain the Power argument next gen, in the same time as having a cheaper mass market console. Trying to have two different SKU at launch was MS's idea, a very bad one.
The theory is that Ms realised that Scarlet isn't much stronger than PS5, if it isn't weaker. And thus there is no market for an even weaker cheaper SKU. So now they have killed the cheaper console and just have Scarlet.

And now we have a badly written rumour trying to have Sony copy MS's failed crazy idea... I am not even going to bother to give the damn site a click.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder if true, how they are going to do it.
Because to be viable they can't go to high on price because no one will buy it.

E. G I don't think it will $499 base model and $599 Pro model because $499 is already a premium price for console.

So $399 base model and $499 Pro model seems more likely.
Which would be interesting if scarlett is just one model at $499.

Possible options
$399
8 core zen2 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6
7.6tflop rdna gpu

$499
8 core zen 2 3ghz
24gb gddr6
9.8tflop rdna GPU

$599
8core zen2 3.2ghz
24gb gddr6
11.6tflop rdna gpu

I think they should stick with one $499 box, and make it as powerful as they can, going higher or lower in price seems pretty pointless, $499 seems the sweets pot for price and performance next gen.

sendit

Should I wait for the mid-gen PlayStation 5 Pro Plus then

People still think this way? You’re only setting yourself up for disappointment when buying a piece of tech thinking it will be future proof.

If this rumor holds to be true. The Pro will eventually become the base mid cycle. Leaving the door open for a upgraded Pro model.

Grinchy

Banned
Even as someone who owns a Pro, I don't want this shit again. I guess the best case scenario would be putting both out right away, but I really hope they don't make my launch PS5 obsolete within a few years of the generation again.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hmm, not sure I see the problem with this. Why the negativity? What is the difference between this and say, nvidia releasing a 2080ti and a 2080?

Sony doesnt need to made another pro man

I dont like parity like this

Just focus on one version that should be enough for everyone

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Didn't MS ditch this idea after everyone on earth said that it was a bad idea?

This probably hasn't been used in a while

MtZ9N.gif

Welp, the base model better be damn impressive tech-wise, otherwise it's gonna hold that generation back. And I really don't get why these guys don't just concentrate on a single model? Bringing in spec variations should wait until later in the generation.

Oh yeah, just remembered MS apparently isn't doing this? Hmm...if they don't and Sony does, this gen could get pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Madness, it won't happen.

PS5
PSVR2
PS5 Slim
PS5 Pro
PSVRPRO2
PS6

No need to launch two consoles side by side with different power. It would make more sense to make the PS4PRO cheap as chips, then release Cross-gen games for both PS5 and PS4PRO, then charge a premium for PS5.

That way the casual cheapskates can enjoy next gen at 1080p30fps on Pro and the gamers can enjoy uber-fidelity of 4K60FPS on PS5.

sol_bad

I think it's a good idea.
There are people like me who want a kick arse beefy console and wont mind a higher price point, than there are people who will be upset about an expensive price tag.
Rather than compromise, release 2 SKU's for both demographics.

Rayderism

I don't like the idea of a standard and pro version. Devs will have to step down development to the standard version for their games and the benefit of the pro will mostly be squandered.

Or will it be something like the pro model will have BC and the regular won't? Or maybe the regular will be digital only and the pro will support physical? Hmm.

Well, if they do this, I will get the pro version. Just like with the PS4, I couldn't stand knowing I had the "inferior" version and had to get the pro.

McRazzle

I don't understand the negative take everyone has on this.
It would be absolute stupidity of Sony not to put out a cheaper version that could play next-gen titles at 1440p at 60fps, vs. a Pro that could do 4k at 60fps.
Not many people can afford a $500+ (USD) console, and don't forget a large portion of the user base doesn't live in 1st world countries.

I would also be surprised if Sony didn't have a portable model (notebook tablet?) by 2021 that could do 1080p 60fps; and I don't think we'd get a mid-gen SuperPro model, more likely a mid-gen PS5 phone, when AMD is on 3nm.
There's no way Sony is just going to give up on the Japanese market forever, after seeing the success of the Switch there.

Last edited:

ookami

The PS4 Pro couldn't be built when PS4 launched. So what made you think PS5 is any different?

The Pro console isn't just a more expensive console. it is a console that is a half step upgrade made possible by the passage of time. Trying to force a Pro into existence years before it could be built, makes no sense.
I guess I explained myself poorly. Yes, the PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4 was possible by the passage of time which then makes sense. Though I still think it is a pain to have to handle both at the same time.
However, it does not seems to be the case for the PS5 according to OP's rumor. It is not about forcing a Pro version into existence but aiming I guess for two distinct offers. Consumers with a lower or higher budget.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, I'd be down for that. Pared down system for normal people that just wanna play the games and don't particularly care about the technical buttfuckery. Then a more expensive system for weirdos like me, so we won't complain that the hardware fucking sucks for a solid 6 months.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Sony doesnt need to made another pro man

I dont like parity like this

Just focus on one version that should be enough for everyone

Why? Whats your reason for not liking it? Because you can't have the best one? Because you feel bad for people that can't have the best one?

Nearly every consumer product has multiple models with better features as price point increases.

FrostyJ93

I don't understand the negative take everyone has on this.
It would be absolute stupidity of Sony not to put out a cheaper version that could play next-gen titles at 1440p at 60fps, vs. a Pro that could do 4k at 60fps.
Not many people can afford a $500+ (USD) console, and don't forget a large portion of the user base doesn't live in 1st world countries.

I would also be surprised if Sony didn't have a portable model (notebook tablet?) by 2021 that could do 1080p 60fps; and I don't think we'd get a mid-gen SuperPro model, more likely a mid-gen PS5 phone, when AMD is on 3nm.
There's no way Sony is just going to give up on the Japanese market forever, after seeing the success of the Switch there.

Gaming forums live in a mental bubble. Shocking.

Why? Whats your reason for not liking it? Because you can't have the best one? Because you feel bad for people that can't have the best one?

Nearly every consumer product has multiple models with better features as price point increases.

Because you're either getting an underperforming game or a game that feels like it was developed for weaker hardware. Essentially, you risk getting that cross gen title feel forever.

To be fair, this isn't what happened with the Pro. But ruling it out would be unwise considering the industry we're talking about.

vpance

Kind of makes sense if they want to have very high quality VR straight away.

Depends on how much more powerful it is. I think releasing the Pro model at the same time would give the benefit of designing both units in a way that makes for a straightforward option of 30 -> 60 fps or 4k CB -> 4k native, or 2k supersampled. That would mean not just doubling the GPU power like it was done this time around. If most of the change is done easily by design, and not by optimisation, I would welcome it.

It's not really a terrible decision to launch with 2 SKUs, as long as the base isnt gimped on memory and CPU.

Base model 8TF $349-$399.

Pro 12-13TF $549-$599

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the Pro version would be held back by the standard version, why would they put extra effort into the Pro version when price will likely be higher and less consoles sold?

that's how they said it worked when the X came out

joe_zazen

Base model, whatever that ends up being will be the boat anchor for the whole gen. this gen it was OG x1 and it held games and game design back. If next gen, it is 6tf lower clock cpu, then that will be the boat anchor.

Riven326

Banned
Base model, whatever that ends up being will be the boat anchor for the whole gen. this gen it was OG x1 and it held games and game design back. If next gen, it is 6tf lower clock cpu, then that will be the boat anchor.
This is the same argument that the PC guys make about consoles. That is they hold pcgaming back.

joe_zazen

the Pro version would be held back by the standard version, why would they put extra effort into the Pro version when price will likely be higher and less consoles sold?

that's how they said it worked when the X came out

The power of the x is mostly wasted. Yes you get more fps and pixels, but the game is the same as the one running on 1TF, low clock jag x1. Same goes for the $5000 PCs running gears5 and fornite. Lowest common denominator determines game design.

Top Bottom