• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean crash and spyro are cool characters. But there are some other majorly awesome characters too! Are you telling me that Kratos and Drake and Jak and Cole dont look cool at all and you couldnt care less about them?
Crash would spin around and would have some funny nitro super or something, but to say that his exclusion is deal breaker seems a little extreme to me

I actually kinda agree, i loved their games but i wouldnt have played as them in this game other than in passing really. I cant even really visualize what their fight style would be

But that's the beauty of this game. Trying to put a fighting style for... nonfighters.

Its like sackboy. All it takes is some creativity to making them work in this game.

Crash would be really cool but to be honest I was sold on this game with the initial 6 character roster so I don't have the mentality that I'm not buying if character X doesn't show up. Spyro is kinda meh for me even tho I did enjoy the first 2 games, same with Lara but Crash is the biggest old PS icon outta them and I think would be most fun to play as. I can't imagine how Lara would be diffirent from Drake. I'm more worried about Capcom characters since DMC/RE character would be really cool.

Naw I don't want them to add to many .

2 or 3 more should do.
I totally disagree, let Smash Bros. just dip their toes in lightly. This game needs to be the ULTIMATE mash up of franchises that have ever appeared on Playstation. Not just Sony characters, Sony need to give a lot of priority to third party characters too. Even ones that the hardcore don't see as a big tie to Playstation.

Give me Snake vs. Altier vs. Batman vs. Riddick. What other game is going to offer such a thing? Let it be All Stars

Drago

Universal is exploiting Crash for all he's worth?

:lol WHAT

Edit: oh, old article. Ignore me :p

jondabomb

I would actually prefer spyro over crash, but at this point I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst with them and other third party characters like cloud.

JazzmanZ

I mean crash and spyro are cool characters. But there are some other majorly awesome characters too! Are you telling me that Kratos and Drake and Jak and Cole dont look cool at all and you couldnt care less about them?
Crash would spin around and would have some funny nitro super or something, but to say that his exclusion is deal breaker seems a little extreme to me

Sweet tooth, Parappa and Toro are some awesome additions to the game, but I was really hinging this all on the original mascots of PSX era I grew up with.

Sony may have a lot more and better properties now than they did then, but it would really be stupid on Superbots and Activisions part not to include either of these gaming mascots.

I'll see if anything does make me want to get this game but I don't think no amount of Spikes and Sir Francis's are going to drag me to it like Crash and Spyro do.

edit: also for what it's worth, I am a huge Playstation fan, I grew up knowing much more about gaming with the PSX and PS2 than I ever did with the NES, SNES or N64, It wouldn't be until I got the gamecube in 2004 when I started to follow Nintendo.

B.O.O.M

Man those two prototype levels of uncharted (I'm guessing that one with the train coming in the middle is also Uncharted) looks amazing

I believe this needs to be posted-
That Sony never owned Crash Bandicoot has no bearing on the reality that Crash Bandicoot was a major PlayStation icon.
edit: also for what it's worth, I am a huge Playstation fan, I grew up knowing much more about gaming with the PSX and PS2 than I ever did with the NES, SNES or N64, It wouldn't be until I got the gamecube in 2004 when I started to follow Nintendo.
If this is in reply to my comment - I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Mr.Fresh

Having Crash/Spyro as the determining factor to buy this game is like having Sonic as the determining factor to buy Super Smash Bros. (N64).

The logic isn't there.

Its like having Banjo, Conker, perfect dark girl, and jet force gemini character as the determining factor to buy Super Smash Bros 4.
I still want Crash though.

Tagg9

Why? Current Naughty Dog would make him a realistic bandicoot fighting against big corporations with elaborate scripted sequences.

Don't forget the wumpa fruit bazooka multiplayer they'd add.

Kidding aside, I think if given the chance they'd appropriately pay homage to the original titles. It would be a pure platformer with clean graphics.

Give me Snake vs. Altier vs. Batman vs. Riddick. What other game is going to offer such a thing? Let it be All Stars
Please god no. Most of those would be wasted slots, keep it a family affair, don't invite cousin pookie and thrice removed uncle Jim. Only 1-2 3rd party characters should be in this.

SenEXunk

Banned
I must be the only one who didn't really care about Crash and Spyro in the PS1 era. Of course I have nothing against the characters and they would make neat additions but on PS1 I much preferred Klonoa and Ape Escape which remains my favourite PlayStation franchise, that's why Spike or Spector needs to be part of the game.

Takao

Banned
I must be the only one who didn't really care about Crash and Spyro in the PS1 era. Of course I have nothing against the characters and they would make neat additions but on PS1 I much preferred Klonoa and Ape Escape which remains my favourite PlayStation franchise, that's why Spike or Spector needs to be part of the game.

There are more Klonoa games on Nintendo platforms than Sony ones, lol.

Drago

I just want an Ape Escape character.

Heck, I still want Ape Escape on PSN! :(

btkadams

wtf??? according to wiki, ape escape is the 12th best selling video game franchise of all time. i didn't realize it was that popular. i thought it was pretty niche.

edit: another wiki entry says 18th, so who knows? apparently sold 58.9 million copies though.

Takao

Banned
wtf??? according to wiki, ape escape is the 12th best selling video game franchise of all time. i didn't realize it was that popular. i thought it was pretty niche.

edit: another wiki entry says 18th, so who knows? apparently sold 58.9 million copies though.

I'm not sure I'd trust that stuff. An Ape Escape fansite said the first game sold 30 million copies which I find very difficult to believe.

TheMink

Sweet tooth, Parappa and Toro are some awesome additions to the game, but I was really hinging this all on the original mascots of PSX era I grew up with.

Sony may have a lot more and better properties now than they did then, but it would really be stupid on Superbots and Activisions part not to include either of these gaming mascots.

I'll see if anything does make me want to get this game but I don't think no amount of Spikes and Sir Francis's are going to drag me to it like Crash and Spyro do.

Im honestly going to say that if this game was a fighting game with no all stars that it would seriously be an excellent party fighter with excellent game mechanics. People who have played it attest to this. (just ask Figboy)
It wouldnt sell anything without the characters obviously, but it would still be good.

I would want Crash in just so this game will sell more, but i unfortunately dont think its going to happen.

Hopefully there is a demo on the PS store when this comes out and you can see that it will be loads of fun!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The revealed roster so far has already sold me on the game, but listening to that 21 minute interview with Omar just now has me feeling pretty optimistic about the potential for DLC character inclusions.

Some of his statements in that interview also has me rethinking that 24 character roster. I'm beginning to suspect the roster may surprise us by being a bit larger than that. Anywhere between 24-28 is my current estimates.

I'm really excited about seeing who they announce at Gamescom. That should be good.

Personally, I'm not expecting Lara Croft, Cloud or Lightning, or Crash or Spyro. It just seems like there's too much BS with the IP holders for those guys to make it in, although Sony has been really, really chummy with Disney lately, so it's possible that we could get Sora from their end, and maybe the fact that Sony has owns some Square-Enix stock may land us an FF character. I love Lightning, and don't have much of a love for Cloud (despite loving every moment of FFVII when I bought it for my PS1, but as a character, I wanted to punch him in his douchey face; still hate Squall more, though), so I can see them getting her. I'd rather have Tifa over both. She was fucking awesome in Dissidia 012, and a close range melee fighter like her would be so welcome.

I AM expecting one of the Snakes (Solid or Big Boss, really), and an Assassin (ie, Ezio, Aveline, or Connor). I can even realistically seeing EA trying to throw Issac Clarke in there, since EA never particularly strikes me as being adverse to any deals that can make them money.

I'm thinking Kat will be DLC, as well characters like Spike/Specter or Jen Tate. Omar's unprompted enthusiasm for Gravity Rush has me optimistic of her eventual inclusion.

I can see Sir Dan, and Nariko being character reveals in the next few weeks. I really think they are going to end up in the game. I'd love it if Alundra was a Gamescom reveal.

I don't know about Capcom yet. I certainly haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we try and get Dante and an RE character like Chris, Jill, or Claire in there after release and we can see the sales potential of the title.

I would love to see Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe as DLC, honestly. I think they could be wickedly awesome additions to the roster.

The roster game Superbot is playing now has had me more involved than, I think, any lead up to release hype of any game this generation. I'm not big into fighters, but I LOVE Smash Bros.

I'm really hoping they'll be able to get a beta or demo out there by September, because I know that once a lot of you guys get your hands on it, you'll be sold, even if your favorite character isn't included in the release roster. It's just a good time.

If the netcode is as good as some of the best games on PS3, then I think it's online potential will really grow it's community as well.

I'm eager to see some really skilled players have a go with the characters, though.

DigitalOp

Banned
This game is actually starting too look better and better!

I would love to see Crash and Spyro... I still think the game needs at least one to live up to the name "Playstation All Star"

BUT...

If it isn't possible... I will be content with 1 Ape Escape rep as a trade-off

Question, Why is Wanderer confirmed now? The video is down, don't understand whats going on

SenEXunk

Banned
I want Maiden in Black.

Super 1: She bashes you with her cane.
Super 2: Summons blue phantom to charge attack
Super 3: "Touch the Demon inside me" Everyone falls to their knees allowing her to kill as she pleases.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think one more PSone era mascot would do the trick for any of us 20-somethings. Any of the following:

Crash
Spyro
Vibri
Gabe Logan
Robbit
Spyro

9962-robbit_large.jpg

41601727.jpg

SyphonFilter3_FeaturedImage.jpg

SmithnCo

I think an Ape Escape character would be a great PS1 era rep and has a good shot of getting in. But any of those would be well appreciated of course.

Takao

Banned
PLAYSTATION

Ape Escape (Sarugetchu) - 8 million (+ 28.5 PSN downloads) = 36.5 million

PLAYSTATION 2

Piposaru 2001 - 1.7 million

Ape Escape 2 (Sarugetchu 2) - 6.2 million

Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed (Gacha Mecha Stadium Saru Battle) - 860,000

Eye Toy: Monkey Mania (Saru Eye Toy Oosawagi: Wakki Waki Game Tenkomori!!) - 240,000

Ape Escape 3 (Sarugetchu 3) - 16.9 million

Sarugetchu: Million Monkeys - 26.7 million

PLAYSTATION PORTABLE:

Ape Escape P (Ape Escape: On The Loose, Sarugetchu P!) - 7.7 million

Ape Academy (Ape Escape: Academy, Piposaru Academia) - 1.8 million

Ape Academy 2 (Piposaru Academia 2) - 900,080

PipoRacer - 700,600

Sarugetchu: Saru Saru Daisakusen - 500,670

Ape Quest (Sarugetchu: Piposaru Senki) - 306,340

PLAYSTATION 3: TBA

MOBILE SALES: 80 million

HAHAHAHAHA WOW

Duffyside

Banned
Can I dispute the 36.5 million PSN downloads? Because that would be everyone on PSN, and I don't believe that for a second. Hell, I don't believe 3 million.

PLAYSTATION

PLAYSTATION 2

Eye Toy: Monkey Mania (Saru Eye Toy Oosawagi: Wakki Waki Game Tenkomori!!) - 240,000

PLAYSTATION PORTABLE:

PipoRacer - 700,600

HAHAHAHAHA WOW
Sauce?

Those numbers just seem... wrong. But I can't be bothered downloading the MC/Famitsu database file right now.

PLAYSTATION

PLAYSTATION 2

PLAYSTATION PORTABLE:

PipoRacer - 700,600

HAHAHAHAHA WOW

With those kind of numbers, you would think Sony would have made an Ape Escape for the Vita by now.

Mush

And just for the record, God of War is one of my favorite games ever, and my second favorite game on the PS2, right behind ICO and right ahead of Metal Gear Solid 3
oNJ5V.gif

I CONDEMN ALL THOSE WHO FIND WANDER UNWORTHY FOR A GAME SUCH AS THIS TO DEPTHS OF OBLIVION. ONE DAY, PERHAPS YOU WILL MAKE ATONEMENT FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.

SenEXunk

Banned
Since Ape Escape is so popular why the fuck isn't the original on PSN yet? And this also proves that relocating a representative from Ape Escape to DLC is ludicrous. It's more known than Uncharted and God of War combined. And please give us Ape Escape 4 this gen!

Takao

Banned
Sauce?

Those numbers just seem... wrong. But I can't be bothered downloading the MC/Famitsu database file right now.

Oh those numbers are definitely bullshit. 80 million cellphone downloads? Come on. They're from this. They tried to justify their ludicrous numbers:

Hey Guys!

We were asked my a user named "Miki" on our e-mail about how Ape Escape sold 40 million copies. According to "Uniqlo", the description for the T-shirts (that also feature a free copy of Ape Escape: Trapped in Space and Time until August) says the T-shirt designs were based on the original game that sold '40 million'.

Now, 40 million is an amazing feat by any game, especially for a small title like Ape Escape who had no major franchise to back it's debut on the PlayStation back in 1999. Well, we have asked ad have found how Ape Escape managed to pull those incredible figures for such an incredible game.

Firstly, a few months before Ape Escape came out, manufacturing of the original PlayStation controller stopped and only DualShock controllers were being produced. Originally the DualShock controller was only sold to give people an option while playing games. You could use the Joysticks if you preferred, but if you wished to use the new Analog sticks, you could pick up a DualShock controller and you could have the alternate control scheme. However, all games made before the DualShock won't register the Analog sticks and won't pick up the controller at all, and asks you to insert a PlayStation controller. Sony decided to release Ape Escape with a free DualShock controller that also had backwards compatibility to previously released game that didn't originally work with the DualShock. Because of this, the sales of Ape Escape were huge. It sold millions in it's first year alone. It was also released separately as well. This was one of the reasons why Ape Escape sold abnormally well.

The second reason is that in 2007, the game was released to PSN due to popular demand. That added another million copies to the overall sales.
In 2004 the "On The Loose" port for PSP was released, and many people bought the title as it was very good for PSP games released around the time. It was critically reviewed for the lack of Analogue controls, and many people just went and bought the original game on the PlayStation as it was available until 2005. That's more sales adding up.

Ape Escape for the PS was available until 2005, where it was released for the last time. Since then, Ape Escape had become a franchise, and many people who bought other titles in the franchise, bought the original to try and play from the start of the series.

Lastly, Ape Escape was just a good game and according to IGN, it is the "Best Platformer on the PlayStation. Hands Down!"

We hope that gives you a rough idea of how the game sold abnormally well. We all know it's a good game, but even the best of the best usually don't sell that amount. We hope that clears some things up for you guys.

There guys also said Ape Escape 4 was in development for PS3 like 2 years ago. They also talked about PC games (lol) and a new PSP game that also never materialized.

btkadams

Oh those numbers are definitely bullshit. 80 million cellphone downloads? Come on. They're from this. They tried to justify their ludicrous numbers:

There guys also said Ape Escape 4 was in development for PS3 like 2 years ago. They also talked about PC games (lol) and a new PSP game that also never materialized.

not that i'm believing their numbers, but couldn't ape escape 4 have turned into playstation move ape escape?

I feel like a demo would actually really help this game. Outside of my oh so selfish reasons for wanting one haha, I feel like people really like/start to understand this game when they have it in their hands. Might help with the press and all the smash hate stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom