• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrack08

Whenever I hear "Ape Escape", I always think of Super Monkey Ball. I've never played either. I was wondering why so many people wanted a Super Monkey Ball character.

Finally got around to playing Jumping Flash! today and then replayed it right after :) I remember the demo when I was a kid and I didn't even understand that the game was in first person, I think it was the first first-person game I had seen.

Anyway, would love to see Robbit as a playable character.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Finally got around to playing Jumping Flash! today and then replayed it right after :) I remember the demo when I was a kid and I didn't even understand that the game was in first person, I think it was the first first-person game I had seen.

Spike/Specter and Robbit are my most wanted PS1 picks at the moment.

I'm confident Ape Escape will be represented in Allstars, but Jumping Flash! getting its due would be a real treat.

Omega

Banned
Any word on there being alternate costumes in this game? I like Cole MacGrath, but I hate inFamous 2 Cole.

Would rather have a real Classic Cole or a Kessler skin.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I recently played the game too just to brush up on playstation history. Robbit would end up being yet another ranged character and this game has too many ranged characters already, but I think he'd be one of the better ps1 historic choices.

Even better would be a stage. That world is a really crazy one that I would like to see again. A stage would honestly represent Jumping Flash better than Robbit would. And it would come with some real kickass music. I think anyone that was around for earily 3D stuff could appreciate and have nostalgia for levels that look like this:
2092121-023_37879.jpg
260811-jumpingflash.jpg
2092119-026_65588.jpg

Its really my most wanted stage alongside Fantavision and Echochrome (though echochrome is sadly 3rd party.)

Any word on there being alternate costumes in this game? I like Cole MacGrath, but I hate inFamous 2 Cole.

Yeah, there will be alts

+ Cristian Cardona on July 6th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:
Plenty of other costumes will be announced in the coming months. You’ll also be able to unlock different variations within the game itself. These, however, are only through pre-order.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...tion-all-stars/comment-page-1/#comment-732463

SenEXunk

Banned

They're exactly the same! It's just Cole's character model is more refined in i2 instead of looking like an unfinished generic character in the first game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

1 per character for preorders and 1 unlockable making 2 for every character (although im not certain if preorder is for every character or just every character so far announced).

KevinCow

Banned
1 per character for preorders and 1 unlockable making 2 for every character (although im not certain if preorder is for every character or just every character so far announced).

I think the preorder costumes are only for the characters revealed up through Toro and Heihachi. The new trailer they released for SDCC had the preorder costumes at the end, and they weren't updated with Jak or Cole.

They also didn't specify that characters would have only 1 unlockable costume.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Jumping Flash! desperately needs a franchise reboot.

Imagine if a talented developer were able to combine all the modern-day FPS genre improvements, with the old school charm and platforming of the original games... then cranked everything up to 11 (in HD).

My nostalgic brain can barely handle the thought.

I recently played the game too just to brush up on playstation history. Robbit would end up being yet another ranged character and this game has too many ranged characters already, but I think he'd be one of the better ps1 historic choices.
I'm guessing Robbit's moveset would also involve a lot of hopping and stomping. His specials could be his assortment of secondary weapons, like bombs and roman candle(giant laser).

Jawmuncher

Just releasing the original on PSN would be fine.

How much do PSX copies go for?

Not sure, but i'm just as surprised that there isn't a PS1 classic release.
Is it because of the PSP version that came out.
THere was like a updated port on that right?

Oh shit, yeah August haha. Just woke up. :x But yeah, ready for Snake, if he makes it in then that's the fourth person who has a sit-back-and-shoot-everyone-on-the-screen level 3 super.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Jumping Flash! desperately needs a franchise reboot.

Imagine if a talented developer were able to combine all the modern-day FPS genre improvements, with the old school charm and platforming of the original games... then cranked everything up to 11 (in HD).

My nostalgic brain can barely handle the thought.

I'm guessing Robbit's moveset would also involve a lot of hopping and stomping. His specials could be his assortment of secondary weapons, like bombs and roman candle(giant laser).

Yeah there is something thats really fun about first person platforming, as long as you are the type of person that can just feel where your virtual feet are. I'd like to see more of it.

For Robbits moveset, I just assumed his secondary weapons would be his moveset, since there's not really a ton of ways you can turn hop and stomp into a move. I guess they could turn him into an average close range fighter with a bunch of silly looking kicks or headbutts or whatever while giving him an easy to close in jump and stomp move set.

Basically make him an anti range character and maybe put a couple of average to below average secondary ranged weapons to help with the completely close up fighters like Heihachi.

Its really my most wanted stage alongside Fantavision and Echochrome (though echochrome is sadly 3rd party.)

The wooden mannequin from Echochrome would be an excellent character in my opinion. I love his design and uniqueness. He could make a very interesting fighter if done right.

Although Im sure echochrome is 1st party?

Sounds like they were being sarcastic. Hopefully. The possibility for that is realistically below 0%.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The wooden mannequin from Echochrome would be an excellent character in my opinion. I love his design and uniqueness. He could make a very interesting fighter if done right.

Im almost sure echochrome is 1st party?

God damn it im wrong a lot lately. Sorry about that, it does look like echochrome is first party. I don't know what I was thinking. At least I have you guys here to set me right.

Echochrome stage has to happen then! How could it not?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Whenever I hear "Ape Escape", I always think of Super Monkey Ball. I've never played either. I was wondering why so many people wanted a Super Monkey Ball character.

You should check Ape Escape out. It's almost like an awesome tech demo of cool stuff to do with dual analog sticks wrapped up in a great platformer.

Paul Gale

Omar was really great to speak to and passionate at E3 about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and I really respect what him and the rest of the team have done on this game. I definitely wish them the best of success. (By the way, the picture I put up was suppose to be in this post, but ended up in my second one).

Drencrom

That comment about thirdpatry seemed to.imply that activision doesn't want or care for Crash and Spyro in PBR, but I have faith. But it.sounds like we'll get Kat and Sir Dan in the game as DLC if we keep bitching about them.

omar looks pissed or is it just me?
His face says to me "STOP LEAKING EVERYTHING RAWRRRR"

He wants to be the messenger of joy.

Where is Crash bandicoot ?

"Yeah I'm going to be that guy that isn't even following the game, won't buy it and will only play it a couple times with friends yet will rage out if 1 character he feels should be in by divine right doesn't get it"

edit : Just read back a few pages

WHAT THE F**k I WASN'T EVEN GOING TO BUY THE GAME, I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PS3 AND I'M SO ANGRY. CRASH IS LIKE THE SONY MASCOT and erm MY CHILDHOOD blah blah.

What about that Croc guy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If crash is in the game he is likely the last reveal. The last reveal signifies the end of all hope for any characters you might want to see. Its important to have a great reveal to disguise the characters that aren't in this. Also if they want people to keep paying attention to the reveals, you don't want to sedate the people by showing them the only thing they want.

Paul Gale

I wonder how Paul feels knowing through his words, he has the power to affect millions of people around the world. XD

The fellow gamer, friend, and fellow forum user that's passionate about this industry wants to share my good news with everyone and make the world happy! But the man that's respectful of a team's wishes to keep things more cool than I have in the past is very strong and that's why I have to duct tape my hands together once in a while...to avoid spoiling too much.

It's all a balance. It doesn't have to be, because I CAN say more and have no legal consequence, but it certainly wouldn't fit my ideals very well...

You can imagine this if you want, for fun. When I go for a drive, I sometimes talk out loud, the whole roster that I know of, discuss the details of Microsoft's next big game (a whole other story on how I landed that one which wow...I didn't even mention yet officially on my site), and envision the chaos that would strike the internet if the last details that I had on PlayStation-All Stars Battle Royale were just released at once: MEGATON!

If I had a Groundhog Day (as in the movie), I'd probably put it all up at once just to see what'd happen and know that the next day it'd all be cool, because there'd be no harm done to anyone. :)

Paul Gale

All this talk of Ape Escape and Jumping Flash! is making me seriously nostalgic.

Are you and Omar on good terms? 'Cos he looks vexed to no end there.

Yeah, all is well. :) In fact, we took three pics and in the other two, he's the one smiling but the camera took me off guard, lol. I put this one up because it was the best "picture" overall...even if he happened to have a neutral face in it.

And to corporate cheerleader: that made me laugh pretty good, thanks.

Sure, who wouldn't want to be related to someone who got acknowledged by the first lady? That's like, awesomeness by proxy I think.

Holy fuck this means that we're also connected to Obama. YES

Paul Gale

Sure, who wouldn't want to be related to someone who got acknowledged by the first lady? That's like, awesomeness by proxy I think.

Holy fuck this means that we're also connected to Obama. YES

Yes, that makes you connected to President Barack Obama. I'm glad to help, lol.

And if you'd like, I can also connect you to David Hayter.

70ae1793c11643d7aeefb599937d052f.Large.jpg

I'm not sure where he stands on your list of favorite people in this world, but I'll tell you that he's pretty awesome: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2010/08/21/david-hayter/

I wonder how hard Sony will advertise this game. They NEED a demo for it. Demos are such an easy way to sell a game. Have Plus members get a free 1 hour trial. Think we'll see bundles with the new PS3 slim?

If Sony releases a $150-$200 PS3 with PS:A bundled in, or if they do the PS3/VITA bundle this game could get some decent mileage.

I really do want to see a cool million and a half for it, but sadly, so many PS3 games I fear will suffer: Ni No Kuni, Sly 4, LBP Karting. I seriously worry if we will continue seeing games like this when I think of sales. Just look at what happened to poor SOCOM.

Jawmuncher

I wonder how hard Sony will advertise this game. They NEED a demo for it. Demos are such an easy way to sell a game. Have Plus members get a free 1 hour trial. Think we'll see bundles with the new PS3 slim?

If Sony releases a $150-$200 PS3 with PS:A bundled in, or if they do the PS3/VITA bundle this game could get some decent mileage.

I really do want to see a cool million and a half for it, but sadly, so many PS3 games I fear will suffer: Ni No Kuni, Sly 4, LBP Karting. I seriously worry if we will continue seeing games like this when I think of sales. Just look at what happened to poor SOCOM.

But Socom much like Shadows of the Damned, just kind of came out.
Hardly any advertising or hype build up at all, and that alone can really affect a game sales wise.

All things consider everyone seems to be in agreement that this'll be the main game that we see Sony advertising a lot of. Also I'd say a demo has a high chance, since like you said it's the best way to sell it.

But Socom much like Shadows of the Damned, just kind of came out.
Hardly any advertising or hype build up at all, and that alone can really affect a game sales wise.

All things consider everyone seems to be in agreement that this'll be the main game that we see Sony advertising a lot of. Also I'd say a demo has a high chance, since like you said it's the best way to sell it.

I pray we don't see a stupid KB commercial-- make a standalone commercial with 20 seconds of pure PS:A, explaining the mechanics, and citing (hopefully) high review scores from IGN and GameTrailers, with even advertising competitive players like Clockwork into the ad to really sell the game home.

I am also beginning to think Crash and Spyro wont make it into the game, and I am willing to bet the reason is so that Activision can sell them as DLC to make a cut.

plainr_

Thought it be cool so I made this:

iCaaP.jpg

Yeah, I know the helghast soldier isn't Radec. This and a KZ3 costume is all Mm had.

Potential costumes for potential characters:
w6sAQ.jpg

Lvl 3 super has Sackboy transforming everyone to their sackboy equivalent. Everybody is stuck in floaty jump physics. Sackboy then brings out his popit menu and initiates the "self destruct" option for 3 easy kills. lol

0L4Wc.gif

softie

Lvl 3 super has Sackboy transforming everyone to their sackboy equivalent. Everybody is stuck in floaty jump physics. Sackboy then brings out his popit menu and initiates the "self destruct" option for 3 easy kills. lol

Love the idea of everyone having its sackboy equivalent be teared apart.^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom