• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation does the Ice Bucket Challenge

sappyday

Hey for those saying that they shouldn't do the ice bucket thing since trends are bad and being trendy isn't cool, should really try to go help out a charity they love and try to raise it over a million dollars just by only donating. The selfless act is the donation but the ice bucket is what's spreading this selfless act among a lot of others that wouldn't have done it otherwise.

nomis

You do realize California is fining people doing the ice bucket challenge for wasting water. Im pretty sure what Warios post is refering too.

If people pay their utility bills, who the hell is the government to say what they do with the water they bought?

icespide

Banned
YvLXiLL.jpg

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This has gone beyond a misunderstood charity and flown straight into overdone meme territory.
You only say that because figures in the video game industry are doing it... Any exposure is good exposure.
Glad they wasted all that water during this draught
Hehe. My family wastes magnitudes more water watering their lawn than they used water in this video.

RCSI

You do realize California is fining people doing the ice bucket challenge for wasting water. Im pretty sure what Warios post is refering too.

Additionally, they should have done the ice bucket challenge over lawn rather than hard pavement as they did, since the new grounds state that you cannot have runoff, that's where the $500 comes from. Being nitpicky and all.

However, the article you're thinking of came from a satirical website, thus your whole point is mute.

You understand why the spectacle is important, right? It raises awareness. Simply saying you donated to ALS research does not raise awareness at the rate doing something like this does. That's simply reality. I don't care if every corporate business leader started dancing like chickens, if it meant they attracted enough attention to raise a lot more money.

I think people don't even read the news regarding this whole ice challenge thing, and instead just whine about it and ignore the obvious benefits...
http://time.com/3136458/viral-als-ice-bucket-challenge-funds-raised-15-million/ said:
The extremely viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has led to record donations to the ALS Association, raising some $15.6 million in contributions to the group and and its national affiliates since July 29 — compared with less than $50,000 in the same period last year.

sappyday

I'm not one to diss charity but why is ALS a fad all of a sudden? It's an enormously rare disease.

Kony 2014 is what I think.

It just caught on. I think it may also have to do with the fact that you have to nominate 3 people and the challenge itself is relatively harmless. This allows it to able to spread a lot more easily. It started out only in one region among the sports scene then it started to spread everywhere. Unfortunately, some are using this to exploit themselves by just doing the challenge and not naming the charity, and I don't doubt there are probably some that are pretending to have donated. but that's a problem with those type of people and not the challenge itself. The challenge has proven itself to be effective since it raised over 10 million dollars which is a huge spike from how much they received last year. That's all that should matter.

If people pay their utility bills, who the hell is the government to say what they do with the water they bought?

The party responsible for treating the water, managing the delivery system, and making sure there's enough to meet industrial and agricultural usage needs. Obviously?

But hey it raises awareness! Because as we all know, you can pay for research, treatment, and medicine with fucking awareness now.

jediyoshi

Kony 2014 is what I think.

This is such a weird amount of positive credit to give kony 2012, I'm not sure how to process it.

But hey it raises awareness! Because as we all know, you can pay for research, treatment, and medicine with fucking awareness now.

Please follow the end of this statement up with saying awareness is a zero sum game. Oh god please. I need to literally read you saying it's a net neutral outcome.

Majine

Banned
The party responsible for treating the water, managing the delivery system, and making sure there's enough to meet industrial and agricultural usage needs. Obviously?

Awareness breeds donations.

pompidu

You can tell Ratchet didn't want to get fired, he made sure the water only went over Shawn Layton's shoulders and not his head.

The Ratchet mascot costume is super cute though. It looks like it would fit in at Disneyland.

Outfit probably doesnt let his arms go that high.

Top Bottom