• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is currently the Disney of video games?

It's a long list and i don't wanna prolong this argument more than it deserve, you can go in any of the recent topics about the game to read what it's all about.

It's a fun reading, enjoy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But it's pretty spoilery so you may want to play the game first.

Gameplay, traversal and some story bits\scenes are still good\great so it deserve at least a run, i'm not even selling the game because i want to play the probable dlc, so i enjoyed it well enough.

More like, it's a short list of a few 15 minute missions that are largely ignored and not a big deal but you're making them out to be some of the most egregious thing we've ever seen in video games :lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They say nothing about how woke the game is and i never said that the actual game sucks, but nice try.

Are you aware that we didn't knew almost nothing about the writing and the pandering in the game before buying the game right? it's not like modern reviewers are ever gonna criticize woke writing, so we didn't knew jack shit about the game, we trusted that the level was at least like spidey 2018 or morales at worse.

You can read the opinion of many people who actually bought the game and actually post inside forums in the many topics we had here, pretty sure that even evilore had something to say about the game, he must be a weirdo aswell.

You can be in denial all you want, that game is one of the most egregious piece of pandering i ever played, and i even defended hfw and ragnarock that are accused of the same thing, so it's not like a i see woke everywhere, hell i even defended the fable trailer protagonist because i understood the tone of the trailer.

The point I'm mainly making is that with that stuff in the game, I don't think the majority of people hate it as much as you and some others do.

Since Ive always played games that were created with others in mind, I've never seen that stuff as "pandering". But now you guys are starting to make me wonder how much we're games pandering to your likes.

Like how much did the original Gears of War pander to the "other" crowd for example.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh i don't mind white men villains, but can't you see the irony of a black music history museum robbed by a white RICH man?

Just play the game, maybe you are not gonna be bothered at all like i was not bothered by ragnarock.

Things like this have LITERALLY happened in America in the real world. So I have no idea how this is ironic at all.

Toons

Once you stop seeing the "woke" as a boogeyman and start just seeing other people living different lives than you some of these things start to disappear.

People like video games a lot more than whatever the fuck Disney are doing that they think passes for entertainment these days.......the woke stuff is incredibly off putting to me though,I used to only game on Playstation,these days I've lost most of my interest in them.....I should be excited about whatever Naughty Dog do next,but I know it will be a woke tsunami of bullshit whatever the game is.

But you also have good reason to believe that it will be a polished, well made game with engaging characters and a strong story.

Shouldn't that be more important?

Toons

I think the problem with PlayStation games is part of a much larger cultural problem in America. The zeitgeist is just not in a good place. People forget that apart from the obvious obsession, with race, gender and sexuality, woke art is also deeply safe and sanitized, stripped of any real juice.

Lol nah TLOU2 is one of the boldest, most unsafe games to come out in decades, and thats exactly why it got the response it did.

Most of the folks don't want unsafe. They say they do but they don't. When sometimes unsafe comes along, it gets called an attack, it gets called woke, pandering because it didn't pander to THEM specifically.

The culture wars have done more damage to artistic expression than the great depression, and so many minds are rotted to where they dont even know how to view the world without those lens.

But this is a necessary transition; change is inevitable and a whole lot of media and games released now are going to be reassessed in later years when the dust has settled.

Toons

Sorry but it definitely does pander to certain groups of people within the community, and pretty much ANYTHING Spiderman related will sell like crazy. These are facts.

No, they're your opinion. It portrays a basic image of modern day new york. You either haven't been there or are in denial if you think they went out of their way to pander anything.

EDMIX

you have no idea what you're talking about.

IKR (besides the actual examples of what a genre actual is, the links to show FPS titles are being made and the evidence that you are trying to claim as missing genres, are not common place at Sony to be "missing" in the first place)

...but...go on. lol

won't even be out until 2025), Concorde by a no-name dev team, and Deviation's live service FPS

lolz, the goalpost beings.

You went from crying about no FPS, to being given links proven they indeed exist, to now crying they won't be out until this or that, doesn't change that its an FPS, no name dev...doesn't change that its an FPS, "derr a liVe sEvrVice" doesn't change that its an FPS.

Suddenly your ass is going to provide some paragraph long ,weird definition of a FPS, be saying some weird shit like "ok, what I mean is no FPS, in a whimsical land, with charming music...played in B minor and it MUST be coming out no later then August 16th 2024, or else its not a FPS....sigh, on THAT is what Sony is missing, its a standard thing to have bro"

Last edited:
Lol nah TLOU2 is one of the boldest, most unsafe games to come out in decades, and thats exactly why it got the response it did.

Most of the folks don't want unsafe. They say they do but they don't. When sometimes unsafe comes along, it gets called an attack, it gets called woke, pandering because it didn't pander to THEM specifically.

The culture wars have done more damage to artistic expression than the great depression, and so many minds are rotted to where they dont even know how to view the world without those lens.

But this is a necessary transition; change is inevitable and a whole lot of media and games released now are going to be reassessed in later years when the dust has settled.

I will give you that the Last of Us 2 does take some chances, but that doesn't change the fact that Druckman's incredibly weird and twisted sexual and identity politics completely ruined the story.

Also - give me one more example of something challenging and unsafe that has come out and people have called it woke. Give me a list of all the projects that are going to be reassessed as great in later years.

Most woke art is incredibly safe and anodyne because its first priorities are not to tell the best story it can, but to make sure to be inclusive and non-offensive to anyone, and that it signals very shallow race and gender politics to the audience. I've lost count of how many tv shows, movies and games have been compromised or outright ruined by this phenomenon. And people still stick their hands in the sand about it or blame the "culture wars" and pretend it's not happening.

You think one day people will realise all this woke shit was actually great? I think the exact opposite will happen - one day people will look back and remember that time when liberals completely lost their minds and turned into religious zealots who suddenly considered "the message" more important than anything else in the world, thereby creating some of the shittiest art/propaganda of the 21st century and almost ruining entire franchises for good. Or maybe you're right and people will suddenly consider the Rings of Power as great art. Holy shit, that might be the scariest thing anyone has ever said.

Last edited:

GymWolf

More like, it's a short list of a few 15 minute missions that are largely ignored and not a big deal but you're making them out to be some of the most egregious thing we've ever seen in video games :lol
You know it's more than a couple of sidemissions dude, don't be disingenuos, we both played the same game.

It's better to cut the discussions here since it seems impossible for us to agree, you don't see anything wrong with the game, i see a lot of things wrong with the game.

Is it still a fun superhero romp? Yes

Am i gonna trust the writing from insomniac ever again? Hard to imagine.

I dread what they are gonna do with wolverine tbh.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

This thread
Animated GIF

angry jimmy GIF by South Park
fight biting GIF by South Park
fight battle GIF by South Park

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You know it's more than a couple of sidemissions dude, don't be disingenuos, we both played the same game.

It's better to cut the discussions here since it seems impossible for us to agree, you don't see anything wrong with the game, i see a lot of things wrong with the game.

Is it still a fun superhero romp? Yes

Am i gonna trust the writing from insomniac ever again? Hard to imagine.

I dread what they are gonna do with wolverine tbh.

Spider-Man 2 was such a disappointment, it made me sell my PS5. It was the only game that I've played on it the whole year.

I'll buy whatever with be most powerful console in 2 years when GTA VI releases.

GymWolf

Spider-Man 2 was such a disappointment, it made me sell my PS5. It was the only game that I've played on it the whole year.

I'll buy whatever with be most powerful console in 2 years when GTA VI releases.
I would never sell my ps5...but i'm gonna give it to gamestop to pay less for the ps5 pro :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The writing and pandering was disappointing, the gameplay was as expected, a more fun (to me) take on arkham series mechanics, i never thought about insomniac like one of the best sony studios, to me they are the definition of high production values 7\10 game studios, the usuals suspects are gonna eat me alive but i use the full scale of scores where 7 is good, not trash, but everything lower than 9 sound terrible these days.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What's Sony's Star Wars?
People is gonna answer horizon because aloy is kinda of a mary sue but i was not as annoyed with her because she has at least some excuses to be like that and kinda bitchy.

Also as an atheist, i chuckle everytime she slam religious nuts inside the game :LOL:

Last edited:

kyussman

Once you stop seeing the "woke" as a boogeyman and start just seeing other people living different lives than you some of these things start to disappear.

But you also have good reason to believe that it will be a polished, well made game with engaging characters and a strong story.

Shouldn't that be more important?
I'm afraid engaging characters and a strong story mean little when viewed though the lens of woke ideology,I can't stomach it.It's not like I'm making this stuff up,there are many themes and ideas being propagated in modern story telling that I simply don't agree with.....but it's just people living different lives you say,cool do what you want.....I want no part of it,and I won't support your video game if it's full of it.

Toons

I'm afraid engaging characters and a strong story mean little when viewed though the lens of woke ideology,I can't stomach it.It's not like I'm making this stuff up,there are many themes and ideas being propagated in modern story telling that I simply don't agree with.....but it's just people living different lives you say,cool do what you want.....I want no part of it,and I won't support your video game if it's full of it.

Thats a YOU problem not a them problem. You're specifically complaining they arent crafting their projects to YOUR whims.

Toons

I will give you that the Last of Us 2 does take some chances, but that doesn't change the fact that Druckman's incredibly weird and twisted sexual and identity politics completely ruined the story.

Wierd and twisted? Its a friggin lesbian couple dude. like this hasn't been a thing for centuries. You dont have to like it but don't pretend its some uncharted territory and you never see this in real life, and don't pretend that it makes a project bad because it features in it automatically.

kyussman

Thats a YOU problem not a them problem. You're specifically complaining they arent crafting their projects to YOUR whims.
Read my post again.....I said they can do whatever they want,I'll get my entertainment elsewhere....I don't have a problem,it's not an issue for me to not support this nonsense.Unlike the people that make this rubbish I'm not so insecure about what I believe in that I need to shout it from the rooftops.They can do their thing,hope it makes them happy......I'll not support it and that makes me happy.Everyone's happy.

Taur007

Content wise, this gen so far has been better than any other Playstation other than the PS2. The first 2-3 years of the PS3 and 4 were mediocre at best, let alone the PS1. And Microsoft? call me when they actually release something that is on par with Sony and Nintendo games.
And so it begins... Last of us online won't be the last to get shunned, mark my words

Top Bottom