• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is currently the Disney of video games?

If you want to talk about quantifiable data what data do you have to support this view? Are sales figures broken down by casual/enthusiast?

Every sales thread posted on Neogaf for the past year. There is way more spending done on Playstation than any of the console platforms right now. The spending cuts across all lines from hardcore to casual games (this includes first party and third party). Not just software sales either but accessories as well. Unless you're trying to tell me that it's casual gamers buying all these Dualsense Edges, PSVR2s, and PS Portals we are seeing out there.

PS5 itself is also not cheap, $500 for your average PS5, that's more than what most causals are wiling to spend on a console and yet it's still selling like crazy.

boo

Gold Member
I mean that of so many errors, bad news, the forced ways of including Woke inclusion in their I.P.S.
Yep. It is a strange situation to tell the majority of the population that you hate them, but can you please buy what we are selling. Although the woke sickness is primarily in North America and Western Europe, and even there the population is pushing back.

I just hold back on my purchases to make sure that I do not spend my time and money on anything woke that hates my guts for being born with the wrong skin color (white), and gender (straight man).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Every sales thread posted on Neogaf for the past year. There is way more spending done on Playstation than any of the console platforms right now.
That doesn’t tell us anything in terms of demographic.

The spending cuts across all lines from hardcore to casual games (this includes first party and third party).
I myself would use a PS5 to play Elden Ring 2 for example, I never said that there are no hardcore games on PlayStation, just that it’s a completely reasonable opinion to have that Sony themselves no longer make hardcore/enthusiast games.

Not just software sales either but accessories as well. Unless you're trying to tell me that it's casual gamers buying all these Dualsense Edges, PSVR2s, and PS Portals we are seeing out there.
PSVR2 is not a gaming enthusiast device. It may be a VR enthusiast device.

The PS Portal has been touted as a ‘dad screen’ for when the kids are using the TV, are you telling me that the hardcore/enthusiast is using it as a serious device? With that input lag?

I don’t know how many Edges have been sold, but you seem to be confusing me saying Sony are making normie fodder games and interpreting that as me saying there is no hardcore presence on PS. None of this indicates the sales split or as you were saying, proves that ‘enthusiasts are buying it in record numbers’.

PS5 itself is also not cheap, $500 for your average PS5, that's more than what most causals are wiling to spend on a console and yet it's still selling like crazy.
Disagree completely. Are you saying that barely any casuals are buying the PS5?

just that it’s a completely reasonable opinion to have that Sony themselves no longer make hardcore/enthusiast games.

What are hardcore/enthusiast games and if they currently don’t make them, when did they ever make them?

Are you talking about extreme difficulty games? Not many of those left these days and they were never all that prevalent to begin with

hemo memo

Gold Member
Not surprising. Sony is best when they are 2nd. When they are on top with little to no competition, they get very greedy and anti-consumer. I mean selling a PC slider options at full price as a new product is beyond stupid.

I expected your statement would ruffle some feathers, OP. I'll just say I sort of don't entirely disagree with you.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It would take a good few years of sony fucking up to become the Disney of video games. Which aint gonna happen, i dont think.They are super successful this gen.

I understand the points about wokeness etc which is deffo true in terms of their games but it doesn't seem to be affecting them really.

I loved spider man 2. It was pandery but a great game. I can look past it in a game with input from disney / marvel. Hopefully their next games aren't as in your face with it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What are hardcore/enthusiast games and if they currently don’t make them, when did they ever make them?

I’d say a lot of their output prior to (but including) TLoU in 2013. Ico, SotC, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, God of War I-III, Ratchet PS2, Uncharted 1-3, The Last Guardian, Resistance - there have been a lot of games that focus on good gameplay and writing.

To me it’s pretty evident that TLoU was a turning point for Sony’s management where they thought every game needed ‘deep writing and stories’ and simple game play. The issue is the writing they’ve implemented across the board since has been pretty abject.

....and this is where I stopped reading :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm just gonna ignore the rest of your posts now. You're not even trying to be logical here.
Cool.

I’d say a lot of their output prior to (but including) TLoU in 2013. Ico, SotC, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, God of War I-III, Ratchet PS2, Uncharted 1-3, The Last Guardian, Resistance - there have been a lot of games that focus on good gameplay and writing.

None of those games are anymore hardcore or enthusiasts than their current games; arguably, they are less.

The gameplay of their recent titles is BETTER than those older games, and more mechanically sophisticated

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
None of those games are anymore hardcore or enthusiasts than their current games; arguably, they are less.

The gameplay of their recent titles is BETTER than those older games, and more mechanically sophisticated
It’s obviously a matter of opinion, and we clearly have very different views.

The gameplay of their recent titles is BETTER than those older games
, and more mechanically sophisticated
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Please tell me you're joking.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Please tell me you're joking.

I’m not

God of War Ragnarok has far better combat than God of War 1-3

TLOU2 has far better combat/AI than UC1-3

Sly Cooper? Jak and Daxter? Ratchet and Clank? These are supposed to be hardcore games? Ico/Sotc where there’s barely any gameplay? None of these games is as mechanically involved as something like Returnal

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the older games, but to claim they are more hardcore or enthusiast is objectively false

Last edited:
I’m not

God of War Ragnarok has far better combat than God of War 1-3

TLOU2 has far better combat/AI than UC1-3

Sly Cooper? Jak and Daxter? Ratchet and Clank? These are supposed to be hardcore games? Ico/Sotc where there’s barely any gameplay?

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the older games, but to claim they are more hardcore or enthusiast is objectively false
Boy, you lost me there. I can understand some people would enjoy the modern re-imagining of GoW, but personally, its a downgrade in every conceivable way that stripped away its unique identity in the process. Really thoughtless move from Santa Monica.

If you vehemently enjoy corporately sanctioned and design-by-committee games then more power to you, I guess.

Aces High

God of War Ragnarok has way too high input lag to be classified as a game with good gameplay. Kratos controls like a cruise ship. And 50% of gameplay is walking and talking through scripted corridor levels.

Input lag in general is getting worse with every new console generation. It's a real problem.

I think the problem with PlayStation games is part of a much larger cultural problem in America. The zeitgeist is just not in a good place. People forget that apart from the obvious obsession, with race, gender and sexuality, woke art is also deeply safe and sanitized, stripped of any real juice.

Like, on the surface those Spider-Man games are impressive but they're so insanely pussified that it's hard to really enjoy them. The same is true for Horizon. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart featured one of the lamest cartoon duos I've ever come across. Then there's Neil Druckman who seems to like games where strong women beat up tough guys. This is a guy who clearly wants to get stepped on by a woman with high heels on. Pussified isn't even the word.

These games all need a massive injection of real creative energy - and preferably some testosterone.

Ar¢tos

You’re free to have your own opinion but claiming most Sony fans are disappointed with the ps5 meanwhile it’s setting the charts on fire is straight up bullshit. You don’t speak for everyone
I don't think anyone is disappointed with the ps5 (hardware), they are disappointed with Playstation Studios.

-ND spent their time this gen remaking and remastering games that didn't need any remaking or remastering instead of showing us something new.
-MM 10 year support for Dreams was made a lie. Sony could let it grow on Ps5 and give it PSVR2 support but they canned it.
-SSM released what feels like disc 2 of God of War, doesn't feel like a sequel
-Guerilla released what feels like disc 2 of Horizon
- Sucker Punch also remastered a game that didn't need any remastering
- Bend gives us total silence
- PixelOpus, Sony cheapest "studio" to maintain, was shutdown instead of given another opportunity to make something different that could give Playstation some edge over the competition in terms of image instead of pure profit
- Insomniac released disc 2(3?) of Spiderman
- Bungie is a shitshow
- A lot of smaller studios are chasing the GAAS quick money but their games are most likely to fail straight at launch or be very short lived, or launch after the GAAS bubble bursts (it will happen very soon, like it happened to MOBAs before).
- Many of their games are chasing political motives and forced inclusions in ways that don't really feel natural instead of putting the effort on making games fun first. (TLOU1 approached some of this themes in a suitable not-in-your-face way, but the rest...)

The only studios that really gave us something decent or new were Bluepoint, Housemarque, team Asobi and Insomniac.

In terms of output Insomniac has been carrying the PS5 on its back since the console launch.

EDMIX

-ND spent their time this gen remaking and remastering games that didn't need any remaking or remastering instead of showing us something new.
1. They also remastered the very first Last Of Us 1 year after release, so...moot and the team that did The Last Of Us 2 remaster is literally a bunch of new hires.
2. Where did you get "instead of" ? A brand new game was cancelled to remaster a game in 1 year by a team of less then 100? Soooooo I don't think any of that happened and I don't think you know what you are talking about.

So no sir, GTA VI did not get cancelled by Rockstar so another entirely different fucking team GROVE STREET GAMES could make a remaster.

The teams that do those remasters are different fucking teams, your point would make more sense if you knew what you were talking about.
-Guerilla released what feels like disc 2 of Horizon
The first game broke many sales records for them ,why the fuck would they not do a sequel?

You got Jak 1,2 and 3. Sly 1, 2 and 3. Killzone 1,2 and 3. Uncharted 1,2,3 and 4. Infamous 1,2 and 3 I mean....you telling me you didn't know they made sequels out of successful games? lol
- Sucker Punch also remastered a game that didn't need any remastering

Don't buy it then lol

You saw remasters of Sly series, you saw remasters of Jak and Daxter, you saw remasters of Ratchet, Killzone etc in the past.

None of that shit stopped us from getting Infamous and then Ghost Of Tsushima or Uncharted then The Last Of Us or Spiderman 1 and 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

The act of remastering is done by so few developers, to ask 25 to 100 people to not spend 6 months to a year remastering, all in this ignorant , uneducated, childish attempt to get a um "new game" instead, makes zero sense. The game would would take 6 to 7 years, take 1000 to 2000 people and likely need...I don't know, FUCKING MONEY to fund it....

Did you not think that maybe...some other team that actually makes the new game is just doing that right now? They would need new hires, the remasters help test those new hires, they would need more money....the remasters provide them more funding, the remasters also bring in more new consumers, they also help gauge interest in the established IP to even provide them data if a market even exist for a sequel in the future.

Thats is like saying you are in Walmart in tears cause you see Titanic will be in 4K and you are upset cause "day remastered dat film iNsTeAd of Da NeWz".

So I don't now, are you fucking sure the 15 people that did the restoration for Titanic magically was going to make Titanic 2 in 6 months for 100K? You really, really fucking sure that this is a "instead of" situation or do you cry when you see reruns thinking the actors are just out here acting the whole episode again when they could be making the new season "instead of" lol

This argument about remasters makes so little sense, most out that they have no clue about how that even works, the moment they say "instead of" lol

Looking at GTA VI, shit Rockstar must be masters and Insomniac on crack, they made that game in what, less then 2 years using your fucking 3rd grade logic lol

So basically do not have new hires make remasters.
don't make more money with remasters to fund new games.
don't make sequels
lol ok bud. Good luck with that, you'll just be in here crying about all the new IP they make anyway with some ready copy and paste to cry about it or something lol

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PS5 is the recommended system to have. I'm not sure how many more shock and awe videos and hot takes people want to make but it won't change that.

Enjoy your games on whatever platform you want.

It's not going to stop PlayStation from being where it is in its market position.

Meanwhile, most of us are enjoying games Knowing there's room for improvement.

Ar¢tos

1. They also remastered the very first Last Of Us 1 year after release, so...moot and the team that did The Last Of Us 2 remaster is literally a bunch of new hires.
2. Where did you get "instead of" ? A brand new game was cancelled to remaster a game in 1 year by a team of less then 100? Soooooo I don't think any of that happened and I don't think you know what you are talking about.

So no sir, GTA VI did not get cancelled by Rockstar so another entirely different fucking team GROVE STREET GAMES could make a remaster.

The teams that do those remasters are different fucking teams, your point would make more sense if you knew what you were talking about.

The first game broke many sales records for them ,why the fuck would they not do a sequel?

You got Jak 1,2 and 3. Sly 1, 2 and 3. Killzone 1,2 and 3. Uncharted 1,2,3 and 4. Infamous 1,2 and 3 I mean....you telling me you didn't know they made sequels out of successful games? lol

Don't buy it then lol

You saw remasters of Sly series, you saw remasters of Jak and Daxter, you saw remasters of Ratchet, Killzone etc in the past.

None of that shit stopped us from getting Infamous and then Ghost Of Tsushima or Uncharted then The Last Of Us or Spiderman 1 and 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

The act of remastering is done by so few developers, to ask 25 to 100 people to not spend 6 months to a year remastering, all in this ignorant , uneducated, childish attempt to get a um "new game" instead, makes zero sense. The game would would take 6 to 7 years, take 1000 to 2000 people and likely need...I don't know, FUCKING MONEY to fund it....

Did you not think that maybe...some other team that actually makes the new game is just doing that right now? They would need new hires, the remasters help test those new hires, they would need more money....the remasters provide them more funding, the remasters also bring in more new consumers, they also help gauge interest in the established IP to even provide them data if a market even exist for a sequel in the future.

Thats is like saying you are in Walmart in tears cause you see Titanic will be in 4K and you are upset cause "day remastered dat film iNsTeAd of Da NeWz".

So I don't now, are you fucking sure the 15 people that did the restoration for Titanic magically was going to make Titanic 2 in 6 months for 100K? You really, really fucking sure that this is a "instead of" situation or do you cry when you see reruns thinking the actors are just out here acting the whole episode again when they could be making the new season "instead of" lol

This argument about remasters makes so little sense, most out that they have no clue about how that even works, the moment they say "instead of" lol

Looking at GTA VI, shit Rockstar must be masters and Insomniac on crack, they made that game in what, less then 2 years using your fucking 3rd grade logic lol

So basically do not have new hires make remasters.
don't make more money with remasters to fund new games.
don't make sequels
lol ok bud. Good luck with that, you'll just be in here crying about all the new IP they make anyway with some ready copy and paste to cry about it or something lol
How much more can you miss the point of my post?
I'm not talking about sales or saying remakes/remasters take devs from making new games.
I'm saying what players see coming from the Studios.
They want to see new games, not just remasters/remakes. They want sequels that really feel like sequels, not just part 2 of the same story.

Tone down your aggressiveness and personal attacks, are you a 12 yo kid?

EDMIX

Those "players" should educate themselves on how development works....
They want to see new games, not just remasters/remakes
They've not only released new games, they announced new games. They will announce new games, on their time. They have no ode to show unfinished work cause your are crying about seeing a remaster.

So no. They haven't "just" made remasters and remakes. That is for an entirely different market for new consumers, if you already played it, you are free to ignore it, JUST like if you already saw a film, you are free to ignore it on Bluray/DVD/Streaming etc, how the fuck are they going to make you a sequel, if you are asking them to not make they money to do so?

What do they gain from you NOT seeing a remastered version exist? That helps them how?
They want sequels that really feel like sequels,
Yea, I have no clue what the fuck you are talking about. Those sales show otherwise and I've seen no rule or law that states the sequel must be completely alien to the past title lol

You are free to "feel" how ever you want regarding them. Those sequels breaking all sorts of records show you are the minority in that one bud.

When you fail to provide any logic behind some weird claims, I'm going to call it out. Especially when it starts to out that you don't even know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Lupin25

How much more can you miss the point of my post?
I'm not talking about sales or saying remakes/remasters take devs from making new games.
They want to see new games, not just remasters/remakes. They want sequels that really feel like sequels, not just part 2 of the same story.

Games, especially new IP take time to develop. That’s an industry-wide problem, not a Sony problem.

You lose context once you consider the fact:

ND released TLOU2 3 years ago. You can’t expect something new from them in less than 4-5 years min. Cory Barlog has been working on a new IP for 5 years now.
Sucker Punch released Ghost of Tsushima (new IP) 3 years ago.
Housemarque released Returnal (new IP) 2 years ago.

What turn around are you looking for, exactly?

Because the kind of sequels you’re referring to aren’t 2-3 years of dev time to create anymore, just look at the high polygon count/geometrical complexity that has risen in correlation to all of this.
GTA hasn’t released in 10 years. CDPR took 5 years for Cyberpunk 2077 & it was still half-baked.

Kojima works like a mad man, but DS2 will still be 5 years after DS1.

Games just take longer to make. People have to be realistic.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Games, especially new IP take time to develop. That’s an industry-wide problem, not a Sony problem.

You lose context once you consider the fact:

ND released TLOU2 3 years ago. You can’t expect something new from them in less than 4-5 years min. Cory Barlog has been working on a new IP for 5 years now.
Sucker Punch released Ghost of Tsushima (new IP) 3 years ago.
Housemarque released Returnal (new IP) 2 years ago.

What turn around are you looking for, exactly?

Because the kind of sequels you’re referring to aren’t 2-3 years of dev time to create anymore, just look at the high polygon count/geometrical complexity that has risen in correlation to all of this.
GTA hasn’t released in 10 years. CDPR took 5 years for Cyberpunk 2077 & it was still half-baked.

Kojima works like a mad man, but DS2 will still be 5 years after DS1.

Games just take longer to make. People have to be realistic.

Truth.

Even looking at the top games the released in 2020, only 1 of them even has a game releasing soon and I don't even know if I'd count FFVII part 2, as it being a continuation, must be in line with so many things, it already has a set story etc

https://www.nme.com/features/nme-best-games-of-the-year-2020-2836629

If anything, CP2077 struggling for years and RDR2 being as successful as it was out of the gate, might prove that maybe Rockstar isn't wrong to let their games cook and maybe 8 to 9 years is really what it takes to truly make those types of open world games. Even with the wild turnaround time with some of Ubisoft studios, from AC Valhalla, that exact team doesn't have a game due for years, they are the ones working on AC Hex

So even that studio, didn't make Mirage and is not making AC Red.

Anyone thinking that anyone can be Insomniac and crank out games in such a time frame with such quality must be on crack lol Insomniac is the magical exception, they are not the rule and its silly as shit for anyone to really try to use them as some example knowing how odd it is, not just for Sony, the whole industry. They are not just doing some normal thing, to then expect everyone at Sony to be making games in such a timeline.

I'd rather have them make those games complete and full of quality and ONLY announced when their teams are actually ready.

I don't want them rushed, I don't want them making all theses builds to appease people, let that shit come when its near done.

I have nothing against Sony or even Nintendo or Rockstar's style of announcements. They put out so much quality, they've earned their right to develop this way.

How I see it, people will be more pissed if a game is rushed and has issues, then if they were told about its development 8 to 10 months before release or something. I don't even know what anyone is going to do with the information of finding out a game will be made 7 years from now lol

By the time that shit comes out, it may not even be what was talked about cause they would still be making it.....I have no clue how that would benefit the consumer or the developer.

Last edited:

Oof85

This increasing focus from some to find “Woke” in every facet of life is kinda perplexing. Like, if they try hard enough they can find woke in the next pebble they stumble across.

I’m guessing they have a boulder sized “Woke” chip on their shoulder and just want to vent… On a gaming forum… Without being called out by mods for stealth politicking. So we get these “Sega, Nintendo, and Uncharted is too woke.” Threads.
It's the absolute dumbest thing.

I blame that hobbit from Florida for making it a nonsensical buzzword.

Existed for decades in the black lexicon as a shorthand for lowkey social awareness, that dumbler from that storm choked cesspit made it a war cry for dullard people who never used or even considered it and now it's everywhere on this forum.

Anytime I see woke used on this forum, it's a calling card of mental fragility.

Without fail.

Woopah

yes if all three do come out next year, then it would be an improvement. but helldivers 2 is a budget title and concord... we know nothing about it.
edit: i should be clear, i have nothing against budget titles and i wish sony made more of them. but i just think it's worth putting into perspective.
Well two of them already have dates in the first 3 months of the year.

I'm less confident in Concord, but there's a good chance that Factions, Stellar Blade or Death Stranding 2 come out next year.
Yep. It is a strange situation to tell the majority of the population that you hate them, but can you please buy what we are selling. Although the woke sickness is primarily in North America and Western Europe, and even there the population is pushing back.

I just hold back on my purchases to make sure that I do not spend my time and money on anything woke that hates my guts for being born with the wrong skin color (white), and gender (straight man).
Can you explain which Sony games hate your guts and why?

Lupin25

Truth.

Even looking at the top games the released in 2020, only 1 of them even has a game releasing soon and I don't even know if I'd count FFVII part 2, as it being a continuation, must be in line with so many things, it already has a set story etc

https://www.nme.com/features/nme-best-games-of-the-year-2020-2836629

If anything, CP2077 struggling for years and RDR2 being as successful as it was out of the gate, might prove that maybe Rockstar isn't wrong to let their games cook and maybe 8 to 9 years is really what it takes to truly make those types of open world games. Even with the wild turnaround time with some of Ubisoft studios, from AC Valhalla, that exact team doesn't have a game due for years, they are the ones working on AC Hex

So even that studio, didn't make Mirage and is not making AC Red.

Anyone thinking that anyone can be Insomniac and crank out games in such a time frame with such quality must be on crack lol Insomniac is the magical exception, they are not the rule and its silly as shit for anyone to really try to use them as some example knowing how odd it is, not just for Sony, the whole industry. They are not just doing some normal thing, to then expect everyone at Sony to be making games in such a timeline.

I'd rather have them make those games complete and full of quality and ONLY announced when their teams are actually ready.

I don't want them rushed, I don't want them making all theses builds to appease people, let that shit come when its near done.

I have nothing against Sony or even Nintendo or Rockstar's style of announcements. They put out so much quality, they've earned their right to develop this way.

How I see it, people will be more pissed if a game is rushed and has issues, then if they were told about its development 8 to 10 months before release or something. I don't even know what anyone is going to do with the information of finding out a game will be made 7 years from now lol

By the time that shit comes out, it may not even be what was talked about cause they would still be making it.....I have no clue how that would benefit the consumer or the developer.

Even Insomniac, as efficient as they are took 5 years for Spider-Man 2. But they brilliantly filled in the gaps with smaller, 10 hour, “expandalone” titles (Miles Morales & Rift Apart).

Insomniac is also a massive dev.
They have 3 teams working all at once (Spider-Man 2, Rift Apart, Miles Morales) which move on continuously to new projects (Wolverine, New Mp Project, Spider-Man 2 DLC).

You need at least 4-5 years for a proper sequel and an additional 1-3 years for a new IP, because it literally takes that long to introduce something innovative in games through new tech advances. We’ve maxed out NSW/PS4/XO capabilities. Now we won’t see anyone working on next-gen only games, who had to endure COVID, release them until at least next year or later in the gen.

With Rockstar, it’s a gift & a curse. They’re so far ahead in the industry that every dev is playing catch up in the worst way. That’s how great they are. From their open-worlds to their GaaS components (GTAO), they’re true visionaries and their perfectionism should rub off on everyone.

At the same time, not every dev has the luxury of a billion dollar budget, a team of 1000+, or even half the amount of time afforded to Rockstar to create.

The curse, if you will…

TheTony316

Wait, Disney is more popular as a whole and when it comes to revenue numbers both of them are almost identical.

Also Disney doesn’t rely on hardware while Sony does, the day this changes for the gaming space the worse for Sony

Disney is on a huge downward spiral and has been for years.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Team Asobi still exists, and it's bigger than ever. Most of Japan Studio got integrated into Team Asobi. XDEV exists in Asia and has for years, helping plenty of Japanese & other Asian developers. Polyphony Digital is around and stronger than ever.

Y'all just make a narrative in your heads and ride it out no matter what, because it sounds good to you. Even with evidence showing the opposite. At least when it comes to Sony.

XDEV Japan/Asia in particular is looking really promising with Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade and Death Stranding 2.

TheTony316

Just because they're selling great doesn't mean they're doing great. They're selling cause they're the iPhone of console, they'll always sell, but looking at middle of PS3/PS4, this gen is trash, too many remakes, ceo abruptly retired, no clear direction, dozen gaas games they don't know whether to shun or burn money funding, lost main money maker (cod) with no replacement, no "gauranteed" hit incoming other than wolverine, PS plus sucks ass + price hike for it, still charging for cloud saves in 2023 etc...the only thing keeping Sony afloat is sales, while the only thing holding MS back is sales cause their future roadmap regarding games crushes sony's so far. This is the most lost I've ever seen sony before.

Content wise, this gen so far has been better than any other Playstation other than the PS2. The first 2-3 years of the PS3 and 4 were mediocre at best, let alone the PS1. And Microsoft? call me when they actually release something that is on par with Sony and Nintendo games.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the House/Kodera/Jimbo days are going to be seen similar to the Iger/Chapek days of Disney. Great CEO in terms of growing the company/brand, but creatively bankrupt and assisted by outside circumstances. Disney was able to acquire the rights to some of the biggest franchises of all time, and they stayed afloat due to those, brand name recognition, and inertia.

The PS4 and PS5 had great hardware and there were many good decisions about the direction of Sony as a brand itself, and we see that success today. Many of the best games on Playstation are 3rd party exclusives from deals they made, or simply from being the dominant platform for the last decade. This not solely due to, but was helped by Nintendo's change in market strategy since the Wii, Xbox's constant blunders.

But in terms of creative output, Sony has largely faltered (with a few exceptions in between). They decided on one approach after Uncharted and The Last of Us changed their direction - 3rd person cinematic games, the same way Disney has decided to churn out Marvel and Star Wars content to feed the beast. Now Sony is expanding their reach to TV/movies, which is a great business decision, but the quality has not been there. And I get it. For Sony as a company, all some MBA needed to say is "synergies" between their movie and gaming businesses, and here we are. Success does not mean quality, and vice versa.

Now both companies find themselves with interm CEOs who will need to figure out a proper succession plan. Hopefully Sony chooses someone with a vision.

Notice how he stated anything else is "objectively false". You must comply and only consume/praise the new, otherwise your opinion is "invalid", apparently. No questions asked.

It has to take some guts to say something like that. Hilarious.

Reactions: XXL

Woopah

Pretty sure the House/Kodera/Jimbo days are going to be seen similar to the Iger/Chapek days of Disney. Great CEO in terms of growing the company/brand, but creatively bankrupt and assisted by outside circumstances. Disney was able to acquire the rights to some of the biggest franchises of all time, and they stayed afloat due to those, brand name recognition, and inertia.

The PS4 and PS5 had great hardware and there were many good decisions about the direction of Sony as a brand itself, and we see that success today. Many of the best games on Playstation are 3rd party exclusives from deals they made, or simply from being the dominant platform for the last decade. This not solely due to, but was helped by Nintendo's change in market strategy since the Wii, Xbox's constant blunders.

But in terms of creative output, Sony has largely faltered (with a few exceptions in between). They decided on one approach after Uncharted and The Last of Us changed their direction - 3rd person cinematic games, the same way Disney has decided to churn out Marvel and Star Wars content to feed the beast. Now Sony is expanding their reach to TV/movies, which is a great business decision, but the quality has not been there. And I get it. For Sony as a company, all some MBA needed to say is "synergies" between their movie and gaming businesses, and here we are. Success does not mean quality, and vice versa.

Now both companies find themselves with interm CEOs who will need to figure out a proper succession plan. Hopefully Sony chooses someone with a vision.
How has Sony largely faltered in creative output when they have been publishing games with strong critical reception?

Boy, you lost me there. I can understand some people would enjoy the modern re-imagining of GoW, but personally, its a downgrade in every conceivable way that stripped away its unique identity in the process. Really thoughtless move from Santa Monica.

If you vehemently enjoy corporately sanctioned and design-by-committee games then more power to you, I guess.

The combat in GoWR is VASTLY superior to the older God of War games. To claim otherwise is revisionist history. Those older games were much less strategic and mostly button mashing. They were also a fraction of the length and side content available. This narrative that the new GoW games are shit is completely lopsided to a fringe minority like yourself. It's the fastest selling Sony first party ever and sold 15 million units in one year.

The only studios that really gave us something decent or new were Bluepoint, Housemarque, team Asobi and Insomniac.

In terms of output Insomniac has been carrying the PS5 on its back since the console launch.

Nope? We have Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo 7, and a Demons Souls remake from Bluepoint. Compare the first 3 years of PS4 to PS5 and it's a night and day difference in terms of content. The only standout for PS4 was Bloodborne.

The studios you are criticizing literally released games a few months before the PS5 launch; the cycle was not conducive to any quick games being developed so far. Let's see what they have in work over the next few years.

The combat in GoWR is VASTLY superior to the older God of War games. To claim otherwise is revisionist history. Those older games were much less strategic and mostly button mashing. They were also a fraction of the length and side content available. This narrative that the new GoW games are shit is completely lopsided to a fringe minority like yourself. It's the fastest selling Sony first party ever and sold 15 million units in one year.

(...)
Lol, so OG fans are a "fringe minority" now? Do you think I care about the "popular opinion"? Also, defending the game by spouting sales numbers? What makes you think I give a toss about sales numbers?

I didn't say the re-imagining was "shit", I can see how someone would enjoy it. That said, they definitely threw away a part of its identity when they did that. If the older games came off as "button-mashy" then you only got yourself to blame.

You always relentlessly defend Sony/PS no matter what the case is. If Jim came out tomorrow and announced the sky was green or raised first game prices to $USD 80/90 you'd probably be first in line to bend over backwards to justify he's right. Whatever, Sawyer. I'm stepping away from this conversation before it spirals into further fanboyism.

Last edited:
Lol, so OG fans are a "fringe minority" now? Do you think I care about the "popular opinion"? Also, defending the game by spouting sales numbers? What makes you think I give a toss about sales numbers?

I didn't say the re-imagining was "shit", I can see how someone would enjoy it. That said, they definitely threw away a part of its identity when they did that. If the older games came off as "button-mashy" then you only got yourself to blame.

Whatever, Sawyer. You always relentlessly defend Sony/PS no matter what the case is. If Jim came out tomorrow announced the sky was green or raised the prices for their first party games to $USD 80/90 you'd be first in line to go out of your way to justify it.

You can be an OG fan (I am), but still consider the newer games MUCH better (they are, at least when it comes to actual gameplay).

Just because you're WRONG about this doesn't mean you need to gaslight people with inaccuracies about what I would or wouldn't do. I don't like Jim Ryan, I wasn't a fan of the PS Sub tiers or the recent price hike. Go talk to someone who is instead of lying.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Not sure if they are the Disney of videogames, but I've certainly found myself moving away from them after decades of being my main platform. I just don't give a shit about 3rd person cinematic action/adventure games anymore. Their lack of Japanese output is also a huge factor.

sendit

My PS5 died a few months ago and I didn’t feel the need to replace it. If my Xbox were to die, it would probably be the same story. I’m mostly playing on my Switch and Steam Deck at the moment, and with Sony and Microsoft developing for PC now, I’m happy to go back to the PC in the future.
Similar situation happened with my mom. But it was regarding her Dyson vacuum. It was on the charging stand which connects to the charger, but the charger wasn't actually plugged in to the wall socket.

Top Bottom