• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is currently the Disney of video games?

nial

Gold Member
They should make Shu the CEO. He'll respect their legacy for the 30th anniversary and revive the Japanese development studios.
Shu has made it clear had not been for their indie initiative, he wouldn't even been there anymore. And he did a shit job managing Japan Studio, so...

Isa

I feel your frustration OP. But unfortunately for a certain subset of fans I doubt that side of the company and its past will ever return. Their appeal to the common demographic is too lucrative. Like Punished Miku said, this is also my least played PS console ever and that's with a PS2 that died and having every console and handheld that gen which ate up a lot of free time.

Its also funny the state of the culture war, with people so keen to either dismiss or entertain the notion of "woke". With those who support the former being notably quite left in their ideals and entertainment preferences. It is there most certainly, perhaps not as abrasively as Disney, but I'd wager nearly all large western companies have been infiltrated to some degree, its just a matter of scale and ability to alter strategies. Thankfully there are those who would still make and support art and ideals that are more free and attractive, though mainly from Asia which is interesting.

Honestly I've let go of any hope for Playstation returning to a state I prefer. Its gone and done, and they've lost any goodwill I had for them. I'd rather support other companies even with their faults. Eventually my plan is to get a powerful PC for next gen and go that route, plus the next Nintendo device provided it has backwards compatibility. More freedom and no walled garden nonsense.

OrtizTwelve

I mean that of so many errors, bad news, the forced ways of including Woke inclusion in their I.P.S., Not to mention unnecessary releases like The last of us Part II and Part I.

We hope that the new CEO will solve so many failures that the company has had... and also improve the PS PLUS service, that its price increase is not a justification for the quality of its current game catalog.
I have many playstation consoles, so it's not a fighting discussion xD

We know that the cutting-edge company in video games will always be Nintendo.

PlayStation is selling well because the brand name is still strong and has become synonymous with having a game console. Pretty much everyone has a PlayStation, whether it is a PS4 or PS5.

But I think it is fair to say that their output this generation, quality, and decision-making has been very mediocre since the launch of Fall 2020. A lot of remasters and rehashes. A lot of hardware blunders --- PSVR2 is already forgotten, PS Portal is a head scratcher, new pricing scheme for the revised PS5 units (digital being $50 more 3 years after launch), and don't even get me started on their absolutely trash "stand" / plastic toothpicks for their revised models...Their online service is grossly more expensive than it should be ($79 basic tier whatever it's called) while offering little in return other than being expensive, confusing to understand for most consumers. Their obsession with focusing on story driven narrative games is great, but it has left a wide gap in their online multiplayer ambitions as they don't offer any exclusive multiplayer game that is must-own and exclusive to their platform.

Overall I feel that PlayStation has been very lukewarm (for me at least) this generation and there's really nothing out there that makes me want to own a PS5. XBOX isn't too far behind, however as it stands their GamePass service and focus is what I think gives them an edge over PlayStation if we're looking down the road 5 to 10 years from now.

Last edited:
the forced ways of including Woke inclusion in their I.P.S.
Woke is so overused now it's meaningless term to describe any ideology that individual doesn't like while refusing to describe why it's actually negative other than they feel uncomfortable with it. It's an overblown phrase used more for trolling and pseudo-intellectual masturbation rather than an actual substantial talking point.

Sushi_Combo

Woke is so overused now it's meaningless term to describe any ideology that individual doesn't like while refusing to describe why it's actually negative other than they feel uncomfortable with it. It's an overblown phrase used more for trolling and pseudo-intellectual masturbation rather than an actual substantial talking point.
Woke is now used for things people don't like to see.

"Ahh we now have a female protag, SO WOKE! "

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
5plE5BO.gif

I mean that of so many errors, bad news, the forced ways of including Woke inclusion in their I.P.S., Not to mention unnecessary releases like The last of us Part II and Part I.

We hope that the new CEO will solve so many failures that the company has had... and also improve the PS PLUS service, that its price increase is not a justification for the quality of its current game catalog.

I stopped reading and looking at the video when i saw Destin...that guy is a joke...

Woopah

Playstation are incredibly successful, by having a strong brand and providing a machine which regularly receives excellent, popular games.

2023 was a bit weak from them in terms of first party, but they are starting 2024 really strongly.
Exactly, I wish people would explain what is actually negative rather than just using the buzzword.

graywolf323

Woke is now used for things people don't like to see.

"Ahh we now have a female protag, SO WOKE! "
pretty much, I’d say I’m against woke but some people are abusing it to the point it’s not going to have any meaning (just like how the real woke abuse the terms racist, anything-phobe, etc.)

like just because Aloy doesn’t look like a model in Forbidden West they labeled that woke 🙄 has PlayStation embraced it somewhat? yes, because basically all major corporations in America are doing that for ESG score reasons or whatnot (plus a lot of the young staff are ”true believers”) however I wouldn’t say they’re anywhere near the level of Disney which has become a meme for how overboard they’ve gone with it

Best start for a Playstation since the Playstation 2 and my most used Playstation console LTD so far, bringing us the following exclusives:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Returnal
  • Kena
  • SiFu
  • Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War: Ragnarok
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Spider-Man 2

And of course it's my preferred place to play third party games thanks to generally better performance and much better controller with the DualSense:
  • Elden Ring
  • Cyberpunk
  • Hogwarts
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Star Wars
  • etc

Playstation VR2 is also a fantastic platform and has an amazing lineup of games so far, even if they could do with some old PSVR1 ports.

Jim Ryan has done some anti-consumer things, but it's been in a a challenging environment with COVID and inflation, not to mention the constant threat of a rival buying out the entire industry and yet Playstation has NEVER been stronger. Hard to say that under his watch the brand has done anything but continue its momentum, and the studios have released high profile games every single year starting with launch, something his rival has failed to do.

So no, Sony is not Disney which has been failing lately. We are looking at peak console Sony doing what they do best.

Last edited:
pretty much, I’d say I’m against woke but some people are abusing it to the point it’s not going to have any meaning (just like how the real woke abuse the terms racist, anything-phobe, etc.)

like just because Aloy doesn’t look like a model in Forbidden West they labeled that woke 🙄 has PlayStation embraced it somewhat? yes, because basically all major corporations in America are doing that for ESG score reasons or whatnot (plus a lot of the young staff are ”true believers”) however I wouldn’t say they’re anywhere near the level of Disney which has become a meme for how overboard they’ve gone with it
It’s definitely overused and abused. I think most logical people that don’t like the woke stuff just wants it to be proportional and not preachy.

In Spider-man 2 I didn’t care about helping a dude ask his male partner to prom, but I do have a problem with the BLM crap in the first one. That group was a proven con job well before the game came out. And not helping black people except for the heads taking the money and buying 3 houses.

If some dev made some gay bar indie and 90% of the characters are gay, I’d be all for it if it looked fun. It’s about proportion and preaching, if people have an issue with people just existing, they need help.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Fuckin Destin legarie 🤣 may as well post colt man or speshal nick.

Also if we are going to compare to Disney there is only one pub buying up all the IP and fumbling releases 🤷‍♂️

HoodWinked

I see the argument, they're currently approaching peak Marvel, mid Avengers.

You see leadership slowly being infested.
Woke stuff injected everywhere but borderline tolerable. But still an army of REEE-fenders.
Things are still selling well.
CEO voluntarily stepping down like when Iger did.
Push into "streaming" or the game industry equivalent subscriptions and service games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think people who use the term woke should be tarred and feathered.

What do you wanna call it?

sMuCXfazh3c.jpg

“We bipoc artists…..”

People simply don’t talk like this in real life. I lived in NYC for 28 years, nobody says shit like this. I have never seen a person outside of resetera use the term BIPOC. It’s unnatural and extremely cringe. Can’t wait to see how they shoehorn this type of shit into a Wolverine game.

But this isnt just a Sony problem, it’s nearly everything coming out of the west now. Moving PS to California and becoming a western focused company paid off for them but it made me personally less interested in their games.

Destin should be a banned source around here. Just another astroturfing Microsoft paid Ambassador masquerading as a "neutral" games journalist.

So the answer to the thread question is "No".

Disney was making more money than ever not too long ago. Pouring all their resources into massive big budget blockbusters that need to make a gazillion dollars to break even, hyping the shit out of them, injecting a bit more wokeness each time… they found a formula that worked, and kept iterating it long past its prime. To the point where their entire organization is so set on this one-note formula that they don’t even know what the fuck to do now that it stopped working.

Meanwhile at Microsoft, a racing game that can play itself wins Best Accessibility.

But somehow a superhero game having a mute character mission is woke? Make it make sense 🤔

Its not a 1:1 accurate comparison for many reasons but I get the general, vague idea of what you're saying. If I only had PS this gen I'd be obsessed with dwelling on this too. Least used PS system in my life is the PS5, including PSP and Vita. I'm sure they'll put out some stuff before the end that I want though. They usually have an extremely strong 2nd half of the gen.

So every game on PS5 is Spiderman 2? Since that seems to be the calling card ATM for calling Sony games "woke"? And this phenomenon, if it even exists, is only happening with PlayStation?

What were people smoking during the VGAs?

Wait, Disney is more popular as a whole and when it comes to revenue numbers both of them are almost identical.

Also Disney doesn’t rely on hardware while Sony does, the day this changes for the gaming space the worse for Sony

Do you mean overall or just modern day? Because if the latter, well duh, Disney's been making movies since the '30s. I don't think Sony got into the entertainment space until maybe the mid/late '70s if not later.

Modern context, though? No PlayStation is easily more popular. They are two very different businesses yes but when most people think (non-mobile) video games, they think PlayStation (and if not that, then Nintendo). And GTA, COD, Fortnite of course but I'm talking more all-encompassing hardware & software brands here. When most people think of hit TV shows and movies these days, Disney isn't that high on the list (except to point out all the issues with various works).

The drop post-Endgame for not just MCU but also Star Wars and other Lucasfilm stuff (Indiana Jones) has been massive. Nothing like that for Sony's 1P tentpole games; if nothing it's the opposite.

OP doesn't even realize you can be critical about some of Sony's software moves without using stupid buzzwords like "woke". I want more focus on Japanese 1P/exclusives and AA traditional games using legacy IP...and maybe tougher puzzles. But I don't have an issue with seeing folks who don't exactly look like me or have a different sexuality to me in the games I play. I'm not that much of a shut-in.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This increasing focus from some to find “Woke” in every facet of life is kinda perplexing. Like, if they try hard enough they can find woke in the next pebble they stumble across.

I’m guessing they have a boulder sized “Woke” chip on their shoulder and just want to vent… On a gaming forum… Without being called out by mods for stealth politicking. So we get these “Sega, Nintendo, and Uncharted is too woke.” Threads.

I never see them get warned by mods. I've been warned by calling out some of these anti-woke folks. Go figure.

They should make Shu the CEO. He'll respect their legacy for the 30th anniversary and revive the Japanese development studios.

Team Asobi still exists, and it's bigger than ever. Most of Japan Studio got integrated into Team Asobi. XDEV exists in Asia and has for years, helping plenty of Japanese & other Asian developers. Polyphony Digital is around and stronger than ever.

Y'all just make a narrative in your heads and ride it out no matter what, because it sounds good to you. Even with evidence showing the opposite. At least when it comes to Sony.

Crayon

I never see them get warned by mods. I've been warned by calling out some of these anti-woke folks. Go figure.

I've perceived it but would call it a bias or anything. I feel a little closer to woke myself, but the gap isn't terribly big and I feel both fall within the middle realm of reason. We all have to live together and I've felt my wokiest rants have been well tolerated. I've never got a stack of laughing emojis or anything lol.

And you have to keep in mind that moderation is a black art. Mods all the time could make a decision that they doubt later but they can't dwell on it.

kyussman

People like video games a lot more than whatever the fuck Disney are doing that they think passes for entertainment these days.......the woke stuff is incredibly off putting to me though,I used to only game on Playstation,these days I've lost most of my interest in them.....I should be excited about whatever Naughty Dog do next,but I know it will be a woke tsunami of bullshit whatever the game is.

EDMIX

People simply don’t talk like this in real life. I lived in NYC for 28 years, nobody says shit like this.

? None of that makes sense though.

1. The term came from real life, it wasn't merely made up for the game, thus...someone is saying it.

2. In your 28 years of living in New York, you met and spoke to 20 million people about this subject and you can confirm "nobody says shit like this"?

All that means is you haven't heard because you were not listening.

Hmmmm lets see, the actual artist or random ass NeoGaf user who believes they know how all humans speak 100%, even more then the actual humans speaking...

hmmmm this is a tough one. Cause you bring solid facts, I mean you Benny live in New York, so...shit you would know what 20 million people say everyday with your powers....

The great debate, something to ponder....=)

All of this makes sense btw to be in Spiderman 2, as many artist are like this in New York right now, in real life. So it only seems "unnatural" to you as you may not be part of that scene, thus never actually heard of those terms, that doesn't mean they are not real, it means YOU HAVE NOT HEARD of them, so existing in Spiderman 2 is not some fake thing, it means you don't know what you are talking about...

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
? None of that makes sense though.

1. The term came from real life, it wasn't merely made up for the game, thus...someone is saying it.

2. In your 28 years of living in New York, you met and spoke to 20 million people about this subject and you can confirm "nobody says shit like this"?

All that means is you haven't heard because you were not listening.

Hmmmm lets see, the actual artist or random ass NeoGaf user who believes they know how all humans speak 100%, even more then the actual humans speaking...

hmmmm this is a tough one. Cause you bring solid facts, I mean you Benny live in New York, so...shit you would know what 20 million people say everyday with your powers....

The great debate, something to ponder....=)

All of this makes sense btw to be in Spiderman 2, as many artist are like this in New York right now, in real life. So it only seems "unnatural" to you as you may not be part of that scene, thus never actually heard of those terms, that doesn't mean they are not real, it means YOU HAVE NOT HEARD of them, so existing in Spiderman 2 is not some fake thing, it means you don't know what you are talking about...

Yea, of course the type of person who would use the term BIPOC exist in NYC, and college campuses across America. I just never encountered them because I grew up in a working class environment, not charter schools on the upper west side of Manhattan. Do you think pandering to this type of person is a good way to make your videogame better? My issue isn’t with the people in the videos you posted, it’s with devs taking a giant shoehorn and forcing these out of place social justice talking points into their games. And to what end? It isn’t increasing sales or making the games better. It’s ticking boxes to appease the resetera crowd. It makes me cringe. If it doesn’t bother you, that’s fine too.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No, but because that's not a fair comparison

Disney is what it is, and it's really bad. Sony is bad at his own will

Stooky

And yet some how still killing it in console sales, #2 in gaming revenue lol. Haters gonna hate. So much for the go woke go broke bs. Shout out to you charmin ultra soft people. Jim Ryan sips your tears. Sony is not Disney
dave chappelle hate GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom