• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation London Studio has officially close: We’ve had one wild and wonderful journey!

Draugoth

Gold Member
For over twenty years London Studio has been home to some exceptionally talented and wonderful people in the games industry. As we close the doors, and all go forward to new adventures, we wanted to say a heartfelt thank you, to all our past and present, players and colleagues who have supported us over the years. We’ve had one wild and wonderful journey!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Meanwhile at Media Molecule:

soldier survive GIF

Perrott

Is this the last remnants of Psygnosis?
Actual Psygnosis (Liverpool Studio) then was reformed as Firesprite by some of the same people, which went on to be purchased by Sony again in 2021. That said, Firesprite has bled a lot of talent over the past few years due to poor and often toxic studio managers, so they may not be quite the same.

Considering that their Project Heartbreak might actually turn out to be an Until Dawn follow-up, I'd say they're closer to being a better Supermassive than the all-terrain developer behind Wipeout, Colony Wars and Formula 1.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Actual Psygnosis (Liverpool Studio) then was reformed as Firesprite by some of the same people, which went on to be purchased by Sony again in 2021. That said, Firesprite has bled a lot of talent over the past few years due to poor and often toxic studio managers, so they may not be quite the same.

Considering that their Project Heartbreak might actually turn out to be an Until Dawn follow-up, I'd say they're closer to being a better Supermassive than the all-terrain developer behind Wipeout, Colony Wars and Formula 1.
so when will sony kill the last remnants of psygnosis

EDMIX

Sing Star dying in the digital download age is weird because it seemed fit for these ages but without the new disc releases it faded into the background
Agreed. I would have thought that IP would be successful during these times.

Always sad for the employees but honestly not a big deal, the studio was already dead long ago:

T88L0zG.png
I guess the hardest part in all those music games where to get the license agreements signed, so not necessarily many game development going on.
Seems like their first "true" game was Blood and Truth (with that one experience in VR-world being sorta a predecessor to that) and they probably had to hire a lot more and different people then in the years before. But very much like Guerilla Cambridge they were doomed by chosing or possibly being ordered to make a VR game, a VR only game. I would imagine having a flat mode might have helped, making it certainly more complicated to test and tune but maybe allowing for more sales.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I know the casual playstation market has cleared up so singstar ain't what it used to be.

But these guys helped shape playstation home. Which is something that Sony really should have been looking at again if not this gen, then the start of next.

Last edited:
Sad to hear. While I can't say I've really enjoyed anything they've ever done (Blood & truth seemed interesting enough) its still sad to see a studio close and people needing to find new jobs.

Meanwhile at Media Molecule:

soldier survive GIF
Media Molecule should have been shut down a long time ago. I enjoyed LBP and Tearaway but Dreams was a complete and total failure as well as a colossal waste of 7 years. I'm convinced that the studio is only open purely for the fact that they fill a niche that PlayStation doesn't really have anywhere else which is the quirky and artsy studio.

zapper

what games have they released? I don't remember. their gaas looked like a failure from the start with that concept art

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Their biggest claim to fame is Singstar and Eye Toy. They also made the Getaway sequel on PS2 back in the day.

Very sparse in the last bunch of years tho.

They also did the wonderbook, which would have been fantastic in VR. Very interesting piece of kit, could certainly have seen some cross VR potential as it was an eye toy gizmo.

It was a very intresting concept, but it launched before VR took off, was alot more impressive in person to watch and use, could certainly see them working in the VR Space.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Jim did them dirty. Came in, smiled with them on a photoshoot and then told them to fuck off. Also, not even one sequel to The Getaway. Fuck you Sony.

nial

Gold Member
It's sad that their last game (Blood & Truth) was literally their best (and probably only good) work.
Kinda. They emerged from the merger of one of Psygnosis' studios and Team Soho.

The real Psygnosis died when Sony closed SIE Liverpool (I am still sad about that).
The real Psygnosis died in 2000 when it went from being a full-blown publisher to becoming a small department at SCEE (Studio Liverpool).

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Feels bad that an entire studio was relegated to making Singstar for the better part of 20 years, before being put down. :/

Hudo

It's sad that their last game (Blood & Truth) was literally their best (and probably only good) work.

The real Psygnosis died in 2000 when it went from being a full-blown publisher to becoming a small department at SCEE (Studio Liverpool).
Fair. I do think the Wipeout games by the Liverpool studio were dope, tho. So Psygnosis low-key lived on in that sense for me at least. But current Sony don't give a flying fuck about Wipeout (and other great IPs).

Unknown?

It was their best but the first Getaway was pretty good too. It simply suffered the fate of anything GTA-like getting trashed while GTA got a fair pass regardless of flaws.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PlayStation home was pretty entertaining. The character creator was amazing, you could make the most butt-ugly avatar imaginable with crooked nose, asymmetrical ears, etc.

I had so much fun playing as a hot female avatar and letting all the guys swarm around me like flies on shit. Then after they flirt with me for a while, I’d switch to my hideous male avatar and watch them run for their lives.

I wish I had a picture somewhere. Imagine this dude but even uglier and with cornrows + a wife beater:
NIIn8CP.jpeg

Last edited:

CamHostage

Feels bad that an entire studio was relegated to making Singstar for the better part of 20 years, before being put down. :/

Eh, but some game developers like making successful, well-liked products.

I'm not sure how the portions of SCE/SIE London that weren't with the casual-game switchover took to the change, but it's been since PS2 that this was happening. (London pioneered the EyeToy project, which led eventually to VR and them being both tech and gameplay spearhead group... doesn't feel good for the future of PlayStation VR, btw, there are other developers who could do further VR games but new hardware was labbed in London.) Most of the groups and leads behind the action stuff like The Getaway and Hardware (which were really their only big action franchises, London was never much of a hardcore studio on that front and was making sports or casual games from close to the beginning) were gone by PS3; London tried to be involved in hardcore with 8 Days and the pitch for Getaway PS3 but 8 Days died in development early in the console's lifecycle and Getaway likely didn't have anything but the trailer built of it. We got other studios out of it all, and London did get to indulge a bit with Blood and Truth as well as the London Heist section of PS VR Worlds, but that wasn't their focus. Meanwhile, their casual and experimental-tech stuff took off and built and audience and won awards and, for a while, did great business for Sony.

Singstar and EyeToy and PS Home and VR was what defined the studio and kept it humming along. If they were dependent on sales of The Getaway or Hardware/Fired Up, London would have been in trouble long before now.

What feels bad IMO is that, after 20 years of some great casual brands, there is seemingly no market left for what Sony London was good at.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What are they even doing these days....? Last I heard of them was after they released Dreams, which feels like forever ago.

They didn't even let them bring Dreams to PC, where it arguably could have thrived a lot, and just ended all support for it last year.

MM is literally on borrowed time right now.

I guess the hardest part in all those music games where to get the license agreements signed, so not necessarily many game development going on.
Seems like their first "true" game was Blood and Truth (with that one experience in VR-world being sorta a predecessor to that) and they probably had to hire a lot more and different people then in the years before. But very much like Guerilla Cambridge they were doomed by chosing or possibly being ordered to make a VR game, a VR only game. I would imagine having a flat mode might have helped, making it certainly more complicated to test and tune but maybe allowing for more sales.

I loved Blood and Truth. But 100% of the appeal was basically that it's one of the few "AAA" feeling games designed and built around VR. It would offer nothing as a flat screen game.

What are they even doing these days....? Last I heard of them was after they released Dreams, which feels like forever ago.
Until recently they've been adding content and updates to Dreams (It was meant to be a GAAS service type of thing).

Top Bottom