• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skele7on

Banned
Its here... Elite Controller leaked!?!?!

51549814_Alt01

http://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-elite-wireless-controller/-/A-51549814

J/k 3rd party accessories at it again! Gotta give em'credit though lol!

MY EYES THEY BURN.

Avtomat

Would be hilarious if Sony don't announce Neo on Wednesday, the meltdowns would be amazing.

$399 and at least a 1Ghz GPU and I am happy.

Melchiah

OléGunner;215925465 said:
Teaser trailer is what I could imagine this early.
But again, is that something that showcases Neo's potential all that much since it's just a teaser? I don't think so.

New Horizon gameplay demo for example on Neo would be way more effective, then show UC4 DLC at PSX.

Considering that TLOU was released in June, and its DLC in February, I think that Uncharted 4 DLC could come out in early 2017 as well. TLOU DLC was revealed in November though, so September reveal for UC4's add-on would be quite a bit earlier than that.

Would be hilarious if Sony don't announce Neo on Wednesday, the meltdowns would be amazing.

'Everyone enjoying their PS4? Great! We're excited to announce Vita Trinity, in stores next week. Also, Last Guardian is delayed to Summer 2017. That's all we got, good night!'

PS4 is my primary gaming platform right now, but I do want to get NEO. Problem is I want to sell my PS4 as quickly as possible to maximize selling value, but don't know how much time I need to bridge till NEO.

DerZuhälter;215925856 said:
PS4 is my primary gaming platform right now, but I do want to get NEO. Problem is I want to sell my PS4 as quickly as possible to maximize selling value, but don't know how much time I need to bridge till NEO.

That is exactly what many are thinking too. The sooner you sell your PS4, the more value you get but you don't know how long you have to wait to get a Neo. Being PS4less at the mean time will result in missing a lot of special/timed betas, demos, free trials, deals, game events ... which isn't good too.

Armadilo

Banned

That's the only reason they are doing this, they don't care that the slim leaked as Neo is what's going to get the attention. Neo Games are going to look damn good. I think they are going to push framerate as the selling points for it.

DerZuhälter;215925856 said:

As you know I have the same problem, but I doubt prices of used OG PS4s will plummet that much in Germany after all. Most likely "just" at the same level of the inevitable price drop of new ones.

That said, if I hadn't pre-ordered PSVR, I'd sell my PS4 right now.

takriel

I own one. Its awful imo. But maybe my internet just isn't good enough

And I just straight up prefer consoles to PC.

Yeah, play Battlefield on PC with a controller. Great advice.
Unless it supports keyboard and mouse in which case ignore my bad post
Still loses a lot of quality through compression

Steam Link works like a dream for me. There's a bit of visible compression, but not really noticeable imo. Everything else works perfectly.

Looking forward to a possible Steam Link 2 with even less compression (if that's possible).

iboshow

Banned
At launch the CPU and GPU cost Sony $188 so how much do you think the PS4 Neo's GPU will cost. Imo around $250. Which is why I am #Team399. #NeoSavesAMD

$399 for the Neo
$299 for the PS4 Slim

Put your mortgage money on it!

Anyone know how long this event runs for - 45 minutes, an hour, 90 minutes or two hours or somewhere in-between?

At launch the CPU and GPU cost Sony $188 so how much do you think the PS4 Neo's GPU will cost. Imo around $250. Which is why I am #Team399. #NeoSavesAMD
That figure is for the APU and GDDR5 memory.

The Advanced Micro Devices Inc. processor includes an eight-core Jaguar CPU and a Radeon GPU. This processor costs $100.00,
Probably same die area @ 14nm and if yields are similar the NEO APU price should be close to the same. I assume same TDP which I think is the reason for the drop in TF from the Polaris dGPU design it's likely using. We know it will have a new WiFi radio (n-AC) but what else?

The Polaris dGPU with 8GB GDDR5 is $229 which includes support chips and retail profit for the seller. The Launch cost of PS4 APU plus GDDR5 is $188, the APU only additionally having Jaguar CPUs while the Polaris dGPU has a arm TEE block that may not be in the PS4 APU.

Source?

Playstation_1.PNG

ps: There are no CPU & GPU discrete chips, just a single APU die.
Unless you are in #TeamOnQ.

'Everyone enjoying their PS4? Great! We're excited to announce Vita Trinity, in stores next week. Also, Last Guardian is delayed to Summer 2017. That's all we got, good night!'

I still want my P4 Portable.... Whatever magic you have, Cerny.....please make this possible.

Hostile_18

Banned
So how does a 4.5-5.5 machine compare to today's average gaming pc?

When the PS3/360 came out they were future proof. The PS4 and XB1 were more about budget parts and making profit. Where would the Neo theoretically sit, neatly in the middle of these two philosophys?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

When the PS3/360 came out they were future proof. The PS4 and XB1 were more about budget parts and making profit. Where would the Neo theoretically sit, neatly in the middle of these two philosophys?

The CPUs aren't really reasonably comparable, but If we look at the last two generations of AMD single GPU cards:

R3xx - ranges from 0.5Tflops -> 8.6Tflops, the middle third from 2-4Tflops
R4xx ('in progress', only 3 cards to date)- 1.9Tflops -> 5.16Tflops, the middle card (currently) is 3.8Tflops

So I think it would be fair to say a 4.2Tflop gpu this year would be slightly over middle-tier. 4.5-5.5 would be upper tier. PS4 was in a similar relative range at its launch IIRC so this seems like a reasonable scaling up to 2016.

DavidDesu

RIP UKers

Launch PS4 was $399/£350. Even with the slight drop in the £ I just don't see that happening. AND I don't see Neo, 3 years after PS4 launched, for a reasonable but not out there upgrade, costing more than it originally launched at. My guess will be the same as PS4 launch price, and perhaps even $/£50 cheaper.

Wollan

Expecting to see:

PS4 Slim will be $299.
PSVR talk and linuep. Expecting 50% of the show-time to be this.
Neo name will be PS4K.
Leaked specs remain. 4.2TF GPU, 2.1ghz GPU.
Will feature a 1TB hdd and cost $499.

Neo Games shown:
Uncharted 4
Deus Ex
Call of Duty
Watch Dogs 2
Horizon

Surprise:
Knack 2 (seriously)

Dredd97

well my 6gb GTX 1060 is supposed to be 4.4 tflops and it's smoking most games I have now at 1080p and well above 60 fps..

4.2 tflops on the ps4 isn't a bad metric, but by comparison my PC has an i5 6600k cpu and the ps4 neo cpu isn't going to be up to that standard..

edit -

If it does turn out to be 5.5 tflops I hope they boost the CPU because it would be a waste to bottleneck it...

People are going to think that they need the Neo for PSVR, if nothing else because they will be launching them so close together.

I just don't understand the logic behind this argument:

For example, PS4 slim is launching with a new DS4. Has there been much confusion with people assuming that the new DS4 only works with the new PS4, or vice versa?

If a big CE company launches their new TVs and BD players on the same day, do the public draw the conclusion that they will only work together?

Even if a consumer did decide to pass on PSVR because they thought it needed Neo, PSVR will still be supply constrained, they'll sell as many units as they can ship until the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom