• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Middle East might be teasing Crash on Twitter

ZarKryn7

Why do all these PlayStation divisions keep on teasing Crash like this. Shawn wearing that shirt and trolling everyone literally killed me. Stop it Sony. Stop it. You've been doing this for 2 years now. Just spit it out if he's coming or just shut up.

ElTopo

Banned
And if it happens, Sony has totally and completely decimated Microsoft. Battletoads isn't going to save the XBONE now.

Why do all these PlayStation divisions keep on teasing Crash like this. Shawn wearing that shirt and trolling everyone literally killed me. Stop it Sony. Stop it. You've been doing this for 2 years now. Just spit it out if he's coming or just shut up.

I think it's fun. I like that they do stuff like this.

And if it happens, Sony has totally and completely decimated Microsoft. Battletoads isn't going to save the XBONE now.

This is a silly post. Nothing will "save" the xbox in terms of getting sales ahead of PS4. Xbox will be fine this gen.

9e5dbc220ea5fd2eb9973b4b5cdd844dfdc07032

Me if a new Crash gets announced.

I'll be bustin' the moves, I'll be bustin' the rhymes, I'll be bustin' out laughing cuz it's party time.

I really hope Sony actually has a deal in place of some sort about a Crash game now, because with all these teases and excitement about the IP, the price has probably gone up like crazy otherwise.

sn00zer

This was going to be a very, very interesting take on Crash. I really regret that it never saw the light of day. I wish I could say more. :/
Damn, well it looked fantastic, and loved the open worldness to it...and character designs...and animation.... hopefully an anonymous article makes its way onto Unseen64

ZarKryn7

Lol. I forgot that BruceLeeRoy also teased about Crash as well. Did the dude say anything new about Crash's reprise or has he been quiet lately?

SegaShack

The modern gaming news shit is so silly, someone tweets something or wears a shirt and people see it as confirmation. All this does is make people more cautious about what they say.

Here is the problem. While people keep dreaming of Crash coming back...they expect the perfect comeback. They want Sony to own IP again, for ND to develop the game and for the game to be like the old games.

If this game does come back, it will not be what people expect. It will be licensed most likely, be by some crap team and game play be outdated and the eventual $60 announced price will have people screaming it should be a $20 game due to "old school gameplay" or "simple" to say the least.

I say let it die. Sony wouldnt put too much effort in a theoretical Crash game in 2016+. Only big IPs get the nice treatment unless Bluepoint is involved in the project.

If Sony actually pays to get the game made, they aren't then going to have some crap team develop it and they certainly wouldn't need a dev like ND to make it not suck. The original games weren't very long and didn't have much variety. It was more of an endless runner than a platformer, would a game like that warrant a 60 dollar price tag now? I'm not sure, I don't think so. Just like the newest Sly game and the Ratchet game, I think they know the price point for this type of game.

Reversed

Aside from 1080p and 60 fps, what other technical advantages and new/improved game mechanics you guys wanna see on a new Crash?

I could honestly see this just end up being part of them bringing PS1 Classics to PS4. According to that Eurogamer article early last year, Sony patented a system in which trophies could be added to PS1 and PS2 Classic with the games also receiving graphical updates. For a while it looked like nothing would come from it and it was just one of those patents that resulted in nothing. Then, later that summer, it was announced that there would be a Star Wars: Battlefront PS4 Bundle which included four "Classic Star Wars Games", three of which were PS2 games. It was deduced that those PS2 games were emulated, a fact proven by Eurogamer shortly after release. It was clear PS2 Classics were coming to PS4 imminently. And sure enough, a week or so later in the days leading up to PSX, official support for PS2 Classics on PS4 was announced. But remember, the patent also stated that PS1 Classics were a part of it. I think those will be announced at E3 and that Crash Bandicoot will be the banner release. To me, if that's the case, that would mean there is no new game coming any time soon and also that Activision would probably still own the IP.

impact

Banned
Hmmmm, I don't think so. I have it on good authority that Retro Studios is working on this (Nintendo's first major third party title).

Crash Bandicoot Returns: Believe.

You joke but they would do this better than any Sony team outside of Naughty Dog

Now I want it.

Or.

It's a ad made by a external agency, build around nostalgia and playing to people feelings after growing up with PlayStation and abusing that for a big marketing campaign.

nostalgia with exactly those games that turned out to be announced for Ps4?? Every Single one of them (apart from the last 4)?? Well that agency sure had a good nose then

They could have used way more and significant franchises from the past if we talk about nostalgia and what people connect with Playstation.

kennyamr

I could honestly see this just end up being part of them bringing PS1 Classics to PS4. According to that Eurogamer article early last year, Sony patented a system in which trophies could be added to PS1 and PS2 Classic with the games also receiving graphical updates. For a while it looked like nothing would come from it and it was just one of those patents that resulted in nothing. Then, later that summer, it was announced that there would be a Star Wars: Battlefront PS4 Bundle which included four "Classic Star Wars Games", three of which were PS2 games. It was deduced that those PS2 games were emulated, a fact proven by Eurogamer shortly after release. It was clear PS2 Classics were coming to PS4 imminently. And sure enough, a week or so later in the days leading up to PSX, official support for PS2 Classics on PS4 was announced. But remember, the patent also stated that PS1 Classics were a part of it. I think those will be announced at E3 and that Crash Bandicoot will be the banner release. To me, if that's the case, that would mean there is no new game coming any time soon and also that Activision would probably still own the IP.

this is a great point, you may be right but I also think that there are too many teasers for just one game/franchise to think that a whole new game is not coming out for the current gen of consoles.
In other news:
Sony somehow has to react better/faster (looking at you PS Now) to the XBOX BC feature.
so let's wait and see.

SNURB

this is a great point, you may be right but I also think that there are too many teasers for just one game/franchise to think that a whole new game is not coming out for the current gen of consoles.
In other news:
Sony somehow has to react better/faster (looking at you PS Now) to the XBOX BC feature.
so let's wait and see.

I dunno. Shawn pulling that FFVII troll with the Crash shirt feels like it'll be more than just a mere porting of the PS1 games. He knows the feelings surrounding that IP, and he knows the amount of noise that would be made if he came out on stage wearing it. I have a hard time believing he felt so passionately about just wearing that shirt that he's willing to cause a commotion for no reason.

I mean, if Shenmue 3 AND FFVIIHD can happen, Crash has a shot.

I'll never believe that Crash will come back into the gaming scene in the ideal conditions everyone wants, and I've said this in other Crash threads in case we get a wall of shame come E3.

But if there was a time for Crash to be announced back onto this generation it'd be this year.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'd go crazy for a Crash game from Sony, but that sure as hell isn't the version of him I want back.

SNURB

You might be right, that is the same way how he looked in Crash of the Titans. Not getting the hopes up at all.

I sincerely doubt that this'll be aimed at a game that's been pretty much forgotten (even though I love it).

Also, not to add salt to the wound but this is what ND has for their avatar on PSN:

There are just so many question marks about the Crash brand aside from Sony simply getting the IP in their possession.

1.) Who would develop it? I know everyone would love for Naughty Dog to do it, but I don't necessarily think anyone expects that to happen. Some have said Sanzaru because of how good Sly turned out, but they were huge fans of that franchise and I think it showed in the end. They weren't just some developer that Sony randomly selected to make it.

2.) What would it play like? The original games are unique in their approach even today. While the trend during that gen was to make big 3D worlds, Crash on the other hand felt like a natural evolution of a 2D platformer into 3D. It was built on a linear course design mixed with sidescrolling sections. So would they continue that or move it into a traditional 3D platformer setting?

3.) What would they do with his personality. There's no doubt that his attitude is very 90's with things like crotch chopping and the commercials. Would that still fly today or would they need to change it up?

There are just so many question marks about the Crash brand aside from Sony simply getting the IP in their possession.

2.) What would it play like? The original games are unique in their approach even today. While the trend during that gen was to make big 3D worlds, Crash on the other hand felt like a natural evolution of a 2D platformer into 3D. It was built on a linear course design mixed with sidescrolling sections. So would they continue that or move it into a traditional 3D platformer setting?

well thats what the former Director said

Andy Gavin, co-creator of Crash Bandicoot, is quoted in an interview from May 2013 as saying that, "Crash needs a total reboot. There’s an opportunity to reset the history, and go back to his creation story and the original conflict with Cortex. In that context, you could reprise classic Crash 1 and 2’s settings and villains. It would make sense to use a more modern, free-roaming style. I would concentrate on Looney Tunes-esque animation and really addictive action. That’s what we did with the original Crash, and there’s no reason it couldn’t be done today. Given [Activision's] Crash games, people forget that he was once cool. [Naughty Dog's] Crash had a certain whimsical edge to him. Sure, it was goofy – but it wasn’t dumb."

Bumhead

Banned
As with Wipeout, I would throw my money at Sony for just about anything Crash related on PS4 right now.

New game, reboots/remasters, ports of the PS1 games with trophy support.. whatever.

At least they didn't half-ass it either, and have Crash as playable avatar in Little Big Planet or some shit.

'This is what you wanted, right?'

like Conker in Project Spark

onQ123

It would be perfect for a new Crash game to come at the same time as the PS4 slim & lower price. for the younger market.

Elixist

1.) Who would develop it? I know everyone would love for Naughty Dog to do it, but I don't necessarily think anyone expects that to happen. Some have said Sanzaru because of how good Sly turned out, but they were huge fans of that franchise and I think it showed in the end. They weren't just some developer that Sony randomly selected to make it.

3.) What would they do with his personality. There's no doubt that his attitude is very 90's with things like crotch chopping and the commercials. Would that still fly today or would they need to change it up?

I think an interesting approach (also to the test the waters a bit financially) give it to some team thats good and just got off a big project and could use a palette cleanser. give them few months to prototype a bit and a year (actual full dev) and tell them to aim for like 4 or 5 hour game with replayability. charge 20 or 30 bucks.

and i think it should be similar to the first 3, but with like dammm graphics cause its just corridors. a mix of 90s esque humor and modern.

Facebook trends strikes again... I about shit myself a couple minutes ago, before hovering my mouse and being reminded of this.

Jcuyev0.png

leads to...

7yeOSPP.png

Top Bottom