• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Phone? When?

Baki

Amid all the buzz of the PS4 release. One big question looms.

What will happen with the PSVita? Where is the PlayStation Phone?

So any bets on when we can expect to see a PlayStation Phone? What is going to happen with PlayStation Mobile? Will Sony take it seriously?

EDIT: I mean a proper (and fully siupported) PlayStation Phone. Unlike the Xperia Play.

level44

engadgetpspphone7-1288145212.jpg

It already happened.
Where have you been?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There's been the Xperia Play. A nice phone that released like two years too late. Otherwise, I'd have bought one.

ash_ag

You're talking about this?

I don't think a centralised portable strategy is the right move for Sony. They have the whole Xperia line, phones and tablets. They can expand PlayStation Mobile into supporting more handheld console-like games (as if it is, say, PSP and Vita's successor), and those games could be playable across multiple Sony devices, including perhaps a "PSP3" / "Vita 2" flagship tablet with buttons.

Baki

With the Vita made from standard mobile tech. You would think that Sony would begin considering making a PlayStation Vita Phone based off the Vita spec.

Salex_

I'm mad that the Xperia Play is the only smartphone that has built in controls. It doesn't make any sense for Sony to not make a new model with updated specs (unless it was a failure, was it?).

You'd think that the big smartphone companies would have built in controls now to progress the smartphone gaming market even further. I would definitely care about IOS/Android games if I could use real buttons ._.

drproton

The Vita already has a 3G antenna, so it's a phone in every way but software. I always thought a Vitaphone would be great; I'd certainly buy one, but it's a DRM nightmare once you bring Android into the equation. And if they were to not use Android, no one would want it as a phone.

I expect Sony to at least release a gaming input peripheral for their Xperia phones now that Android has a standardized API. They can probably kick the pants off any other manufacturer that doesn't already make dedicated gaming hardware.

Baki

The Vita already has a 3G antenna, so it's a phone in every way but software. I always thought a Vitaphone would be great; I'd certainly buy one, but it's a DRM nightmare once you bring Android into the equation. And if they were to not use Android, no one would want it as a phone.

I expect Sony to at least release a gaming input peripheral for their Xperia phones now that Android has a standardized API. They can probably kick the pants off any other manufacturer that doesn't already make dedicated gaming hardware.

To be honest, they could use Android and have it dual boot with the Vita OS. So essentially, if you opt-to say, play Uncharted: GA. The phone boots into VITA mode. Likewise, you can keep most of the games on PlayStation mobile going forward (which is compatible with Android).

drproton

To be honest, they could use Android and have it dual boot with the Vita OS. So essentially, if you opt-to say, play Uncharted: GA. The phone boots into VITA mode. Likewise, you can keep most of the games on PlayStation mobile going forward (which is compatible with Android).

I thought about that, but I think most people would find it to be a pretty huge flaw if you can't take calls while mid-game. It would take some engineering to work that out.

I don't think a large enough segment of the market would want a phone with physical controls to warrant the costs of development, manufacturing, and marketing.

Both Android and iOS have elected to standardize gaming inputs. Obviously there is demand. The smart thing to do would be to sell such a device in a normal smartphone form-factor and bundled with the appropriate control peripheral and branded the same way.

I don't think a large enough segment of the market would want a phone with physical controls to warrant the costs of development, manufacturing, and marketing.

I will support this idea if, and only if, the device requires side talking.

N-Gage.jpg

macewank

Amid all the buzz of the PS4 release. One big question looms.

What will happen with the PSVita? Where is the PlayStation Phone?

So any bets on when we can expect to see a PlayStation Phone? What is going to happen with PlayStation Mobile? Will Sony take it seriously?

EDIT: I mean a proper (and fully siupported) PlayStation Phone. Unlike the Xperia Play.

fully supported by what? for what? with what? Do you want a phone that plays Playstation games? PS1? PS2? PS3? dare I say PS4?

The Xperia Play is the closest thing you're going to get to a Playstation Phone. It bombed. Playstation Mobile has stuck around, but the releases are sporadic and I don't think they sell very well. There's no reason for a developer to make a game for the PS Mobile ecosystem when they could just make it for regular old Android or iOS.

Alchemy

Shit, I'd buy a refreshed Xperia Play. The only reason I didn't buy one in the first place was the outdated specs.

Ninja Dom

Here is the trouble with why the Xperia Play didn't sell.

I was in the mobile phone industry at the time and in my store in London we didn't sell ONE single unit.

The absolute best shelf-life you can get on a mobile phone is 3 years, and that's with the iPhone. The iPhone 4S is still current in the new 8GB SKU, slightly redesigned iOS 7 box and update. The 4S has now started its third year. Other high end smart phones are nowhere near as lucky.

High end smartphones are sold mainly on contracts, 24 months in the UK to people only over the age of 18. The Xperia Play had no chance, no desire, incomparable features and power to the other smartphones of its time especially the iPhone 4 which was the current iPhone of the time.

People that WANTED the phone couldn't buy it. They were underage and couldn't afford the line rental attached to owning it.

Damian.

Banned
It happened, but it was a sluggish phone that was too bulky to really make it mainstream, imo. I had one and sometimes still want one, but there is so much they could have done better to make it a real worthwhile Playstation device.

satam55

Banned
I'm mad that the Xperia Play is the only smartphone that has built in controls. It doesn't make any sense for Sony to not make a new model with updated specs (unless it was a failure, was it?).

This! Sony should release a Xperia Play 2 that is a mid-range android phone with a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus/Pro SoC.

Baki

fully supported by what? for what? with what? Do you want a phone that plays Playstation games? PS1? PS2? PS3? dare I say PS4?

The Xperia Play is the closest thing you're going to get to a Playstation Phone. It bombed. Playstation Mobile has stuck around, but the releases are sporadic and I don't think they sell very well. There's no reason for a developer to make a game for the PS Mobile ecosystem when they could just make it for regular old Android or iOS.

Xperia Play is not sufficient evidence for lack of demand of this particular type of product. It only serves of evidence that this particular execution of the strategy is not in demand.

Sony released an underpowered smartphone with very poor software support. Ofcourse it was going to be a commercial flop!

I thought about that, but I think most people would find it to be a pretty huge flaw if you can't take calls while mid-game. It would take some engineering to work that out.

Both Android and iOS have elected to standardize gaming inputs. Obviously there is demand. The smart thing to do would be to sell such a device in a normal smartphone form-factor and bundled with the appropriate control peripheral and branded the same way.

Yeah, the taking calls part serves as a problem. I guess they could engineer it so that the VITA OS aspect supports calls? Otherwise they could still have the very basic Android OS running in the background (Overhead I know) - but in future - have all other games developed natively for PS Mobile instead?

Damian.

Banned
Yeah, the taking calls part serves as a problem. I guess they could engineer it so that the VITA OS aspect supports calls? Otherwise they could still have the very basic Android OS running in the background (Overhead I know) - but in future - have all other games developed natively for PS Mobile instead?

Or Sony should go ahead and simply use Android as their handheld gaming OS. Problem solved.

Baki

But that wouldn't solve the problem that the phone is simply too bulky.

You assume bulkiness is an issue? People thought big phones were a no-no until Samsung proved everyone wrong.

Even if we assumed bulkiness was an issue, Sony could make the controller a removable accessory (which would also act as a battery extender).

Or Sony should go ahead and simply use Android as their handheld gaming OS. Problem solved.

Definitely! I completely agree. But Sony needs a way to run old legacy VITA games.

If Sony were to announce a Vita model that also functioned as an Android phone, I would jump on it immediately. I'd imagine that's not easy to do from a technical standpoint, though.

Option B would be for them to make a Vita model that just ran Vita apps- easier for them to do, but it would make the phone significantly less appealing. I'd probably still buy it, but my money wouldn't save it from bombing.

Taker34

Banned

You'd think that the big smartphone companies would have built in controls now to progress the smartphone gaming market even further. I would definitely care about IOS/Android games if I could use real buttons ._.

It was a failure, that's why no one should copy built in controls. Very niche product... wrong market. The casual mobile phone gamer likes to play short and simple games like Angry Birds and this works perfectly without physical buttons.

You assume bulkiness is an issue? People thought big phones were a no-no until Samsung proved everyone wrong.

Even if we assumed bulkiness was an issue, Sony could make the controller a removable accessory (which would also act as a battery extender).

Do you think Sony hasn't thought about it? I assume these things have been focus tested and simply failed to garner enough interest to warrant further development. They even made one, pushed it heavily, and it was a colossal failure.

WonderPup

How many people do you know that own one? I have a cousin that bought one, but last I heard, he was trying to sell it.

Salex_

It was a failure, that's why no one should copy built in controls. Very niche product... wrong market. The casual mobile phone gamer likes to play short and simple games like Angry Birds and this works perfectly without physical buttons.

But the flip out buttons are an option. If Samsung's next flagship phone had built in buttons, I think it would sell extremely well.

Why would casual gamers hate the option to use buttons for games that benefit from them? I don't think the buttons itself were the reason why the Xperia Play failed.
How many people do you know that own one? I have a cousin that bought one, but last I heard, he was trying to sell it.
No one. But who would buy one now when the hardware is so outdated?

Ninja Dom

But the flip out buttons are an option. If Samsung's next flagship phone had built in buttons, I think it would sell extremely well.

Why would casual gamers hate the option to use buttons for games that benefit from them? I don't think the buttons itself were the reason why the Xperia Play failed.

No one. But who would buy one now when the hardware is so outdated?

Flip out buttons were an option on the Xperia Play. But how did it look in comparison to an iPhone 4??

What would you have used as your smartphone of choice in Summer 2011? An Xoeria Play or an iPhone 4??

I don't think bulkiness would be too big of an issue with the target audience for this kind of device. You're not selling this to casual phone users, at least not at first, you're selling this to gamers, many of whom already carry around a smartphone and a portable gaming device with them on a daily basis. A Vita phone would certainly be bulkier than an iPhone, S4, or even Note 3, but it would be less bulky than one of those + a Vita or 3DS.

macewank

Xperia Play is not sufficient evidence for lack of demand of this particular type of product. It only serves of evidence that this particular execution of the strategy is not in demand.

Sony released an underpowered smartphone with very poor software support. Ofcourse it was going to be a commercial flop!

Nobody was interested in the form factor. It bombed when it was called PSP Go too.

Nobody is rushing out to buy gamepads for their smartphones. Touch gaming and console/handheld gaming are two very different markets, and attempts to bridge the two have routinely flopped.

That leaves you with a "Playstation" experience on a touch screen. How well do you think Sony can map 10 buttons, 2 analog sticks, and a D-pad onto a touch screen? They can't. It's not feasible, and if they tried the experience would be horrendous.

Baki

Nobody was interested in the form factor. It bombed when it was called PSP Go too.

This is completely wrong! PSP Go bombed because it was $250 and not compatible with all PSP games! Xperia Play was underpowered and a poor smartphone! Again, your point falls flat because it points to examples which failed due to other reasons.

If anything, many people have expressed interest in a slide-out form-factor!

Nobody is rushing out to buy gamepads for their smartphones. Touch gaming and console/handheld gaming are two very different markets, and attempts to bridge the two have routinely flopped.

No one was rushing out to buy tablets before the iPad either! The point I am making is that, the reason no-one is rushing to buy gamepads is because of lack of a suitable drive to encourage people to adopt game pads (and this includes suitable software and form factor). It's not very attractive at the moment because no-one has made IT attractive (i.e. by doing it "right").

That leaves you with a "Playstation" experience on a touch screen. How well do you think Sony can map 10 buttons, 2 analog sticks, and a D-pad onto a touch screen? They can't. It's not feasible, and if they tried the experience would be horrendous.

Which is why Sony needs to introduce a PlayStation phone with physical controls.

RaikuHebi

Banned
A Vita phone would be perfection. 4G for Remote Play. *Dat battery life though.

Funny thing is people were talking about a PS phone back when the PSP was new. Sony missed an opportunity really. They could've beaten the iPhone to the punch. Especially when factoring in the homebrew scene and all the apps and small games being created for the PSP at that time.

psp-phone.jpg

Baki

A Vita phone would be perfection. 4G for Remote Play. *Dat battery life though.

Funny thing is people were talking about a PS phone back when the PSP was new. Sony missed an opportunity really. They could've beaten the iPhone to the punch. Especially when factoring in the homebrew scene and all the apps being created for the PSP.

It still baffles as to why the Vita wasn't a PlayStation Phone in the first place! Because let's be honest, VitaTV will do nothing significant for the platform.

Flip out buttons were an option on the Xperia Play. But how did it look in comparison to an iPhone 4??

What would you have used as your smartphone of choice in Summer 2011? An Xoeria Play or an iPhone 4??

As a person who had an Xperia Play, I'd say I would have chosen an Xperia Play.

:|

Ninja Dom

It still baffles as to why the Vita wasn't a PlayStation Phone in the first place! Because let's be honest, VitaTV will do nothing significant for the platform.

The "phone" part is the problem. It requires a compulsory subscription to a phone company. So then how and who sells the product??

In the UK, Vodafone sold both the 3G Vita AND the Xperia Play. They flopped there. Badly. Who goes to Vodafone retail to buy a games system? And how are Vodafone gonna sell a phone aimed at gamers (many under 18) on 2 year full phone contracts?

So you've got three possible ongoing costs for the player
1) to the phone company for phone calls and phone services
2) to games retailers or PSN for the core games
3) to Sony for PSN Plus.

It's just one big mess.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Considering how good the Playstation app is for Android (and I presume iOS) is a PSPhone still needed?

Battery life is so poor on most phones, I can't imagine a phone battery pushing Vita level games would last long enough to be viable for everyday use. You'd need to be next to an outlet all day.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The "phone" part is the problem. It requires a compulsory subscription to a phone company. So then how and who sells the product??

In the UK, Vodafone sold both the 3G Vita AND the Xperia Play. They flopped there. Badly. Who goes to Vodafone retail to buy a games system? And how are Vodafone gonna sell a phone aimed at gamers (many under 18) on 2 year full phone contracts?

So you've got three possible ongoing costs for the player
1) to the phone company for phone calls and phone services
2) to games retailers or PSN for the core games
3) to Sony for PSN Plus.

It's just one big mess.

The demographic that has Vita more than likely overlaps with the demographic that has smartphones. On top of that a Vita smartphone would lure in people who would otherwise avoid the Vita, thanks to having more console-like games.

Imagine if there was a decent COD game on a 4G Vita phone. Could be the West's Monster Hunter.

Also it wouldn't require a compulsory subscription to a phone company. Normal smartphones don't require compulsory. subscriptions. And it's not like the normal SKU would be retired.

billsmugs

I don't think a PlayStation phone is something that can ever really work. Most customers simply aren't interested in anything other than Android or iOS, whereas Sony would have to have a custom OS for anti-piracy purposes (possibly also needed to allow devs full hardware access? I don't know how Android works in this regard).

Any weird hybrid of Android and Vita OS would be quite clunky and probably not work all that well (e.g. how do you get a call while in game? How battery/performance intensive would it me to run both at once? How would you protect the Vita OS from hackers using the Android side to look at the file system etc?)

Another issue would be the form factor. For good controls and gameplay you need 2 proper analogue sticks, a dpad, face buttons and L/R triggers (ideally a future console would even add L2/R2), as well as a large screen and preferably a rear touch pad for Vita backwards compatibility. Good luck fitting all that into a system you can comfortably fit in your pocket and/or hold up to your ear for a phone call without looking like an idiot, while also being comfortable to play games on for hours at a time.

satam55

Banned
I don't think a PlayStation phone is something that can ever really work. Most customers simply aren't interested in anything other than Android or iOS, whereas Sony would have to have a custom OS for anti-piracy purposes (possibly also needed to allow devs full hardware access? I don't know how Android works in this regard).

Any weird hybrid of Android and Vita OS would be quite clunky and probably not work all that well (e.g. how do you get a call while in game? How battery/performance intensive would it me to run both at once? How would you protect the Vita OS from hackers using the Android side to look at the file system etc?)

PlayStation Mobile would be the answer.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Good luck fitting all that into a system you can comfortably fit in your pocket and/or hold up to your ear for a phone call without looking like an idiot, while also being comfortable to play games on for hours at a time.

Do people with that massive Samsung phone look like idiots? The Vita (and PSP before it) were sexy devices. Nothing idiotic about sticking them to your ear imo. To reiterate what I said before, the PSP could've been what the iPhone was if Sony had their wits about them back then.

Ninja Dom

Another issue would be the form factor. For good controls and gameplay you need 2 proper analogue sticks, a dpad, face buttons and L/R triggers (ideally a future console would even add L2/R2), as well as a large screen and preferably a rear touch pad for Vita backwards compatibility. Good luck fitting all that into a system you can comfortably fit in your pocket and/or hold up to your ear for a phone call without looking like an idiot, while also being comfortable to play games on for hours at a time.

In terms of the actual unit, that wouldn't be too difficult. Take the existing 3G Vita and add a phone and contacts app. And expand the current texting system. Don't worry about anything else that other smartphones have. It all would work under the existing Vita OS. Phone calls handled by headphones with a built in mic.

The main problem as I said earlier is the marketing and sale of this crazy hybrid unit.

Top Bottom