• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 05/04/10 - MW2 Stimulus Pack | Lead & Gold (US) | Raystorm HD (JP)

So what's todays PS1 classic? Spec Ops snowboard racers? I dream of the day I can buy Omega Boost, Alien Resurrection, Spider-man, and Hydro Thunder.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PuppetMaster said:
What exactly is it you think Sony should do to "foster" that genre?

Uh... not say "no" to games that could easily sell on the PS3 in the US? (Sup, Outrun?)

Same thing for the SHMUP genre. While it's niche, it's not like it's hard to sell to the PS3 community that wants it. The question is how profitable it would be, but they give some shitty shooters from the PSX (sup, Mobile Light Force) and then throw their arms up and go "well, we tried." (R-type is awesome, but it isn't HD nor provides trophies nor online... nor...)

ou can talk all you want about Sony-this and Sony-that, but all of your examples pertain to physical releases (mostly from last-gen, no less). On PSN, it's a different story entirely. Sony has championed the weird, artistic, and esoteric. Shit like Flower and Pixeljunk Shooter wouldn't have made it anywhere in a previous console generation. Yet, somehow, you think Sony is partially to blame for Raystorm HD being an XBL exclusive. Raystorm HD can't cut the mustard, but fl0w can? In light of examples like that, your argument kinda falls apart.

Edit: I agree it's a shame about Outrun HD, but again, your argument doesn't work even there. They released After Burner Climax, which represents a far more obscure franchise in comparison (Outrun got new additions to the series last-gen, but no one's seen a new After Burner game in years on a console, PSP notwithstanding).

Uh, no. SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ have EVERY right to allow/refuse content on the PSN store. Why you think we/the community practically have to beg them to bring some things from XBLA to the store?

And honestly, I can't care about shit like Flower. I want fucking Einhander, I want fucking Ikaruga, I want fucking Radiant Silvergun HD. TOO BAD SONY DOESN'T WANT TO GIVE ME THOSE.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
For some reason I decided to buy $50 in Store credit yesterday.

They better deliver it today.

TheSeks said:
Uh, no. SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ have EVERY right to allow/refuse content on the PSN store. Why you think we/the community practically have to beg them to bring some things from XBLA to the store?
I never said they didn't have the right. Please re-read my post and comment on what it actually contains. Thanks.

And honestly, I can't care about shit like Flower. I want fucking Einhander, I want fucking Ikaruga, I want fucking Radiant Silvergun HD. TOO BAD SONY DOESN'T WANT TO GIVE ME THOSE.
Not caring about Flower = all credibility lost.

Seriously though, while it would be nice to have those shmups on PSN, you act like there are none on the platform. That's just incorrect.

I want Einhander too, and I believe we'll get it eventually, just because it's already in other regions.

Do I think Sony is perfect? No. Never said that. But you're weaving some grand conspiracy theory for no reason when PSN is already the most friendly platform in existence for dying and non-traditional genres. (Yep, the shmup genre has been dying for years. Not in terms of quality, obviously, but certainly in terms of mass appeal.) I love shmups too, but even a blind man can see they're no longer the industry force they were in the '80s. Yet, despite that, PSN already has several shmups on the service already.

Hell, they're releasing three hardcore Japanese indie shmups for PSN soon.

DaBargainHunta said:
You can talk all you want about Sony-this and Sony-that, but all of your examples pertain to physical releases (mostly from last-gen, no less).
Outrun isn't a physical release. The fact that it's 360 exclusive in America is really odd, and judging by previous actions I think SCEA boneheadness is just as likely as Microsoft money. Why on earth would you want exclusivity just for one region on freaking Outrun? That's not how Microsoft money works.

There's been plenty of discussion about this in previous Outrun threads, also touching on other arcade ports that never arrived on PSN. Feel free to search!

On PSN, it's a different story entirely. Sony has championed the weird, artistic, and esoteric. Shit like Flower and Pixeljunk Shooter wouldn't have made it anywhere in a previous console generation. Yet, somehow, you think Sony is partially to blame for Raystorm HD being an XBL exclusive. Raystorm HD can't cut the mustard, but fl0w can? In light of examples like that, your argument kinda falls apart.
My argument doesn't fall apart at all, because none of the games you listed are arcade games. Sony has always had a hardon for weird or artsy games. Many of them remained in Japan in previous generations -- Vib Ribbon, Kuma Uta, friggin' Poinie's Poin...Sony's always made an admirable effort to publish what it considers artsy games. (Yes, Poinie's Poin is art -- go listen to the theme song.) They got a lot of press for fl0w. They pushed it pretty hard. Wasn't it part of one of the E3 keynotes?

But they can't push Raystorm. It's not artsy. It's old-fashioned. Sony's always been somewhat hostile towards old-fashioned arcade games. This gen Microsoft's welcomed arcade ports (though they've made tons of huge mistakes, like rejecting Cave's initial application for XBLA development, so I hate them) and it sure seems like their approval of retail games is still more lax than Sony's. It's not like Microsoft is stealing devs from Sony. They're taking in devs Sony wasn't kind to, much like Sony did to Nintendo 15 years ago.

Also games like Flower and Pixeljunk were all over the place in previous generations. They were just stuck in Japan. The import PSX and PS2 scene was huge, with far more odd gems to discover than this current gen on any platform. We're not experiencing an art game renaissance. You're just able to easily play these games for the first time is all.

Edit: I agree it's a shame about Outrun HD, but again, your argument doesn't work even there. They released After Burner Climax, which represents a far more obscure franchise in comparison (Outrun got new additions to the series last-gen, but no one's seen a new After Burner game in years on a console, PSP notwithstanding).
The previous gen ports may be why Outrun wasn't released in the US. It follows in line with previous SCEA rejections. They don't dig recycling content. They like exclusive new stuff. They support indie devs who make weird games. Again, you can check old threads for discussion on Outrun and why so many arcade games are XBLA exclusive.

Also I doubt After Burner is a far more obscure franchise. Go back and look at the old NPD numbers for Outrun 2. That thing bombed.

Not caring about Flower = all credibility lost.
Arcade games are better than art games.

Do I think Sony is perfect? No. Never said that. But you're weaving some grand conspiracy theory for no reason when PSN is already the most friendly platform in existence for dying and non-traditional genres.
Oh, this is just silly on multiple levels. Not to get all list wars, but you should really look into the 360 shooter library. It's huge now, deeper than the PS2 or Dreamcast ever was. By the end of this gen it may end up eclipsing the Saturn's. So no, PSN is not the most friendly place for all niche games. PSN is the place to go for stylish games, for sure. Sony's done a great job on that front, as they always have.

There's no grand conspiracy. It's just discussing the modus operandi of two megacorporations. Everyone likes to talk about how Microsoft throws money around -- and they do! -- but the same folks turn a blind eye to Sony's apathy/occasional hostility towards arcade games, and I'm guessing that's because none of these folks are long term fans of the genre. If they did they'd be aware of Sony's track record.

I thought I read on the PS Blog that Lead and Gold was "coming soon", not in a few hours! I could of read it wrong though, if so I'm pumped looks really fun!

Shinriji

Rummy Bunnz said:
Not to get all list wars, but you should really look into the 360 shooter library. It's huge now, deeper than the PS2 or Dreamcast ever was.

I agree on you on several levels, but saying that the 360 shooter list is bigger than the PS2 and Dreamcast is just wrong.

Withnail

SmokyDave said:
Don't agree with the rest of your post (Sony are cock-blocking certain releases of this nature, simple as, have been for years and the current selection on EU PSN is sparse at best) but my goodness this is great news.

Unfortunately SOE have a poor track record with the EU store, I think all their previous PSN releases average around 2-3 months between US and EU releases.

Shinriji said:
I agree on you on several levels, but saying that the 360 shooter list is bigger than the PS2 and Dreamcast is just wrong.
Perhaps "deeper" was the wrong word to use. The modern shooter scene doesn't have the variety it once did, since most of the old greats went out of business. But by the end of the year there will be 7 or 8 Cave games on 360. 3 G.Rev games. Raiden Fighters. Raiden 4. That weird Shooting Love compilation. Otomedius. Some other retail junk I'm probably forgetting. All the XBLA games. That's a heavy library. I think it may have more notable titles than the Dreamcast, and you've got 2 DC ports on XBLA, though overall it's lacking variety -- if you're not into Cave you're kinda screwed. The only PS2 shooter I'd rank above the newer Cave stuff and RFA is Espgaluda.

netguy503

AmericanNinja said:
anyone having trouble logging on to the PSN?

That's actually a good sign. That usually happens to me right when the store is updating. And it's only !:00 PM PST. Same time the store updated last Thursday. Maybe this is the norm now? *knocks on wood*:D

netguy503 said:
That's actually a good sign. That usually happens to me right when the store is updating. And it's only !:00 PM PST. Same time the store updated last Thursday. Maybe this is the norm now? *knocks on wood*:D
there's nothing wrong with psn on my side though ;P

Vamphuntr

The only psx classic rated by the ESRB and not released on the store is Delta Force : Urban Warfare. Unless they pull a surprise it could be tonight psone classic. For example when they put FF8 on the store the esrb rating was not online. It came up two weeks later.

Edgeward

Vamphuntr said:
The only psx classic rated by the ESRB and not released on the store is Delta Force : Urban Warfare. Unless they pull a surprise it could be tonight psone classic. For example when they put FF8 on the store the esrb rating was not online. It came up two weeks later.

Hey, now don't go around giving people hope.

Vamphuntr

Edgeward said:
Hey, now don't go around giving people hope.

Hope for what? Delta Force :lol :lol :lol ? Don't expect any Square stuff. They usually make a mini site for their release (FF7 and FF8) in advance.

RavenFox

Banned
Best wrestler placement yet:lol
Hanmik said:
MW2 Stimulus pack will also include some Patches.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...lc-hits-psn-tomorrow/comment-page-3/#comments

The maps will launch in the US today with this Price Tag:

source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...lc-hits-psn-tomorrow/comment-page-4/#comments

and the 5th. of May in the rest of Europe with THIS price:

There will also be Double Xp for all MW2 players on PS3. Starting from the time the Map pack hits the relevant stores and lasting untill monday the. 10th. of May.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...lc-hits-psn-tomorrow/comment-page-4/#comments
5 new maps my ass.

RavenFox

Banned
netguy503 said:
Not even close....way too obvious. The best one's are where they blend into the game environment as well. This doesn't it's just...there.
Next time you spoil my fun netguy I'm coming for you

lupinko

I don't know why many of you are using Outrun Online Arcade to aid your conspiracy theories. The port is absolutely garbage due to the horrendous netcode, the disappearing island glitch is on both versions which makes it completely unplayable. I haven't played in awhile so I don't know if that was ever fixed, but that really ruined it. Also it was like sub-hd upscaled, not really a major issue, but it's a nitpick nonetheless.

Sumo Digital is so garbage.

And that was a waste of whatever I paid for in AUD.

V_Ben

Banned
lupinko said:
I don't know why many of you are using Outrun Online Arcade to aid your conspiracy theories. The port is absolutely garbage due to the horrendous netcode, the disappearing island glitch is on both versions which makes it completely unplayable. I haven't played in awhile so I don't know if that was ever fixed, but that really ruined it. Also it was like sub-hd upscaled, not really a major issue, but it's a nitpick nonetheless.

Sumo Digital is so garbage.

And that was a waste of whatever I paid for in AUD.

I loved it. Never noticed anything wrong with it, and certainly never had an island disappear on me. Also, it looked gorgeous.

Edgeward

Vamphuntr said:
Hope for what? Delta Force :lol :lol :lol ? Don't expect any Square stuff. They usually make a mini site for their release (FF7 and FF8) in advance.

That anything else, but Delta Force would be released. Expect Delta Force or nothing, the only surprises given by psn are awful ones.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Xenogears for our first Tuesday update? lol D:

Anyway, hopes of a 12:00 Noon and a 5:00 evening update are dashed. I guess it's literally just Thursday's update on Tuesday. Shitty timing and all.

DMeisterJ said:
Xenogears for our first Tuesday update? lol D:

Anyway, hopes of a 12:00 Noon and a 5:00 evening update are dashed. I guess it's literally just Thursday's update on Tuesday. Shitty timing and all.
spoiler

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lupinko said:

I don't play online.

Thus, the horrendous netcode and disappearing island "glitch" doesn't affect me.

Where is your god, now?

Rummy Bunnz said:
My argument doesn't fall apart at all, because none of the games you listed are arcade games. Sony has always had a hardon for weird or artsy games. Many of them remained in Japan in previous generations -- Vib Ribbon, Kuma Uta, friggin' Poinie's Poin...Sony's always made an admirable effort to publish what it considers artsy games. (Yes, Poinie's Poin is art -- go listen to the theme song.)
Your argument still falls apart, but for a different reason now. SCEA is a separate branch from Sony of Japan and Sony of Europe. Each branch has its own set of people who make decisions. The reason Sony's "hard-on" (as you call it) for weird games didn't extend past Japan in previous generations is because the head honchos in the U.S. and Europe wanted nothing to do with those games before. The U.S. PSN, on the other hand, has shown support for those games.

Do I want Outrun and Raystorm? You betcha. Never said Sony was perfect. But your "Sony is Satan" argument doesn't hold much water either.

Massa

They can't stop talking about that damn MW2 DLC on the Playstation twitter account. They're even giving updates on the store's update ffs!

V_Ben

Banned
Massa said:
They can't stop talking about that damn MW2 DLC on the Playstation twitter account. They're even giving updates on the store's update ffs!

well, it is in high demand i suppose.

Massa said:
i know. i've been seeing it on the facebook status. so annoying :\

netguy503

Massa said:

So....when does it say the Store will be updated?

kassatsu said:
No demo for lead and gold......
Boggles my mind why indy devs do that. I know there are extra costs associated with creating a demo, but unless the game is utter shit, the extra sales would probably make up for it IMO.

The weirdest strategy I've seen came from the Critter Crunch devs (yes, I know they're on this board). They offered a demo WITH the purchase of the game, and didn't put that demo up for the general population until weeks later. I probably would've purchased it for $7.xx on week 1 if a demo had been available. Instead, the impulse went away and I didn't get it until it was on sale for $3.xx.

Top Bottom