• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

sajj316

Disappointed that Netflix and YouTube support isn't there for day one. Maybe PSN update will surprise us all and most apps are updated for PTV support.

I can verify that it doesn't come with 3.30, I had to do a firmware update to 3.30 to access the store. I didn't check the version before doing so, though...

jwk94

Table top racing and rogue legacy don't work even though they were listed as compatible.

Edit neither does crimsonland

Kilau

So I got this pretty much solely so I could remote play in the office and use a DS4.

That much the PSTV does exactly like I had hoped.

I have everything wired in my house and the PS4 is back out in the living room where the wife is watching TV and I am remote playing Shadow of Mordor.

Obviously the image quality took a hit, noticeable and not the way I would want to first experience a game but it seems more than serviceable.

Lag wasn't really noticeable in Driveclub and seemed very responsive, but Mordor which is already kinda laggy is a bit more sluggish.

I really wish Sony would give this device it's own UI though, something more like the PS4 or PS3 and not at the Vita resolution.

I can verify that it doesn't come with 3.30, I had to do a firmware update to 3.30 to access the store. I didn't check the version before doing so, though...

Was 3.20

Darknight

Now im kicking myself into thinking this woould have FW 3.30 on it. Missed the student saving deal on Amazon a few weeks ago. Fuck why do the gaming gods hate me???

Well, I tried Destiny and Driveclub remote play wired on a 50" TV. It doesn't look as good as I thought and there was lag during Destiny twice briefly. From this brief experience, I would warn that using this wirelessly for remote play might be bad. Both Destiny and Driveclub looked like late-gen PS3 games. Before playing, I switched from "automatic" resolution to 720p.

I just downloaded Minecraft Vita and it plays fine. I flew to the top of the world and it looks pretty horrible, but I haven't tried it on my vita yet.

Overall, initially I'm a little disappointed with its performance since it's wired. My vita seems to work a little better but maybe it's just an illusion as it goes to the 50" TV.

[Btw, I know someone that ordered the $99 version online, did store pickup, and they gave them the bundled version for $99]

kdoll08

If Sony really didn't give this much of a shit about this device the least they could do was add some "unsupported" mode in the options that let you use any game or app at your own discretion.

I'm wondering this too. I knew the ds4 was supported but it wasn't until I hooked mine up that realized they had a control setting to use the touchpad as both the front and back panel. I only figured it worked for the front screen. At this point the only thing that this lacks from a regular vita when using a ds4 is a camera? Other than Terraway what else really uses the camera anyway? There is no reason not to just let you play the game with a warning that not all features may work as if playing on a normal vita.

That sucks, I was hoping to be able to play it since I haven't really bothered with it in a while. Hopefully they get it sorted out.
Sony's Don Mesa has been pretty active answering questions on the PlayStation Blog. He says they're working with publishers to get more games and apps compatible, and specifically mentions Sword Art Online as one of them.

The setup is being a pain in the ass. First it wouldn't recognize my DS4 now it is saying that my credit card information isn't valid. It's fucking valid! I use it all the time on the store.

Ugh.

jwk94

So my PS4 is wired yet remote play is still shitty. Will this work any better if I use wireless for this? Or will it still be just as shitty?
I did it the opposite way with my PSTV wired and ps4 wireless and while it was playable, there was some lag. Gonna try both wired tomorrow.

Sony's Don Mesa has been pretty active answering questions on the PlayStation Blog. He says they're working with publishers to get more games and apps compatible, and specifically mentions Sword Art Online as one of them.
It gives me hope that they are trying to convince developers to patch in PS TV support. Maybe YS and other games will work by the end of this year.

Maybesew

Well, I tried Destiny and Driveclub remote play wired on a 50" TV. It doesn't look as good as I thought and there was lag during Destiny twice briefly. From this brief experience, I would warn that using this wirelessly for remote play might be bad. Both Destiny and Driveclub looked like late-gen PS3 games. Before playing, I switched from "automatic" resolution to 720p.

Fuck this is disappointing. I'm trying mine out tonight when I get home. My house is hard wired with CAT6 and a gigabit switch, so I am probably the best case scenario for this to work. I'll report back when I try it out.

Takao

Banned
Agreed about the marketing and memory card issues, but I feel like the library is mostly geared toward Japan's tastes. It is mostly RPG, Visual Novel, Dating Sim, or a cross-platform game.
3DS can get by on Japanese games alone because many Nintendo games appeal to worldwide audiences despite being very Japanese.
It seems most American mobile developers have moved on to iOS and Android. The lack of western-focused games hurting the Vita could definitely be argued though...

Even in Japan Vita's lineup is lacklustre. There are 0 big games for it that you can't play on something else. Sony seems keen on killing it off there too.

So any chances of getting a patch today, kind of like Japan received? I think Jp VitaTV launched with 1k games at launch.

SCEJA had their shit together. Vita TV launched with more than three apps and had every PSP/PSone game on the store compatible with it.

Now this may or may not have been mentioned, but i assume the PStv cant Adhoc or whatever its called to play games locally ?

One person can play on Vita while the other plays on PSTV. I believe they demoed God Eater 2 extensively with that.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This little device sounds great in theory but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I'll wait to see if they patch further support for PSP and Vita titles.

Thinking about impulse buying one of these today but I have a few questions:

-If I bought this primarily as a way to play digital PSP games on my TV fullscreen at decent quality, would I be satisfied? As in, do the games look fairly crisp on an HDTV?

-Are pretty much all Vita-compatible PSP games also comaptible with PSTV?

-Can I still transfer "hidden" PSP games to the PSTV via the PS3 & Content Manager?

Jomjom

Banned
Comes with firmware 3.20 according to Wololo.net so PSP and PSone exploits work on the PSTV. You can put eCFW on it.

Wahhhhh! This is for real? I'm guessing no PSN access right if I do this?

Would I still be able to put my PSN games on there somehow?

So my PS4 is wired yet remote play is still shitty. Will this work any better if I use wireless for this? Or will it still be just as shitty?

Mine was really shitty until I realized I had a router and a wireless bridge that were on the same channel. Once I fixed that, everything improved dramatically.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Taking my mem stick to PSTV, then back to Vita, totally obliterated all the folders with games in them (but not the folders full of apps I don't care about)

Welp

To be honest I'm quite impressed that he's responding to so many comments, specifically mentioning talking to Bandai Namco about SAO, XSeed about Senran Kagura and Idea Factory International about Neptunia. He even mentioned about them looking at a multiple account system for the Playstation TV.

-If I bought this primarily as a way to play digital PSP games on my TV fullscreen at decent quality, would I be satisfied? As in, do the games look fairly crisp on an HDTV?

They look crisp...pixelated as all get out, but crisp. All the ones I've tried have worked, but people have been complaining that not all PSP games work, I dunno which ones those are.

baekshi

Banned
Thinking about impulse buying one of these today but I have a few questions:

-Can I still transfer "hidden" PSP games to the PSTV via the PS3 & Content Manager?

Dont't know. no.

no

no, there is a white list for ps tv.

Jomjom

Banned
To be honest I'm quite impressed that he's responding to so many comments, specifically mentioning talking to Bandai Namco about SAO, XSeed about Senran Kagura and Idea Factory International about Neptunia. He even mentioned about them looking at a multiple account system for the Playstation TV.

Responding to comments is one thing, but actually getting the licenses and working with third parties (or even some of their own 1st party games) for compatibility is another thing.

I sure hope they mean it as I sold my Vita prior to buying the Vita TV. I knew full well what games would and would not be compatible, but my hope is that once I've gone through the games I own that are compatible, they will have a much more robust list.

Darknight

Wahhhhh! This is for real? I'm guessing no PSN access right if I do this?

Would I still be able to put my PSN games on there somehow?

Yes well incase my Vita is on OFW 3.18 but I can send new games (like Minecraft) to it by using the website to dl to the Vita. Not sure if it will work on PSTV since I dont got one but if you activate it without updating like that guide linked, I bet you can do just that.

Now my question to you guys with one. Say you got your Vita on OFW 3.18 like me, can you play your games on PSTV OFW 3.20 without problems if you transfer a mem card between the two? I know 3.18 similar to 3.20 but just wondering if it would ask to update or not compatible. (as PSTV has a "newer" Firmware)

ClearData

This machine was not ready for release today. It needs a great deal of patching for games and basic streaming apps, which is the calling card of any TV device I know of.

I'm not returning mine. I believe it will get there eventually. But I do not advise anyone else to drop $100 at present. Check back in a few weeks.

This is the most borked launch of any Playstation product I've bought. And I've bought every one.

Jawmuncher

This machine was not ready for release today. It needs a great deal of patching for games and basic streaming apps, which is the calling card of any TV device I know of.

I'm not returning mine. I believe it will get there eventually. But I do not advise anyone else to drop $100 at present. Check back in a few weeks.

This is the most borked launch of any Playstation product I've bought. And I've bought every one.

Yeah it's definitley a sad launch all things considered.
Especially when the most recent playstation store update barely even mentions it.
You would have thought they would go all out with apps by release.

i want this primarily as a ps4 stream box in the bedroom. think i'll hold out for a deal of some kind. sounds like other than wired remote play and few games, this thing is DOA

sony's decisions and execution of things like this are baffeling

Responding to comments is one thing, but actually getting the licenses and working with third parties (or even some of their own 1st party games) for compatibility is another thing.

I sure hope they mean it as I sold my Vita prior to buying the Vita TV. I knew full well what games would and would not be compatible, but my hope is that once I've gone through the games I own that are compatible, they will have a much more robust list.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but I can't see they'll have major legal hurdles getting in the way of these titles like is assumed with a large portion of PSP and PSone games - their Japanese versions are already compatible after all. There is also bound to be a higher sense of urgency to increase that compatibility list quickly as sales will be won and lost off the back of it. That said, this US launch seems incredibly botched so far so they need to act quick.

SScorpio

i want this primarily as a ps4 stream box in the bedroom. think i'll hold out for a deal of some kind. sounds like other than wired remote play and few games, this thing is DOA

sony's decisions and execution of things like this are baffeling

I'd recommend holding off for a little while. Streaming was my main reason to buy it, and I have a fully wired connection and in both automatic, and 720p I see bad input lag. 720p as better, but Zen Pinball had well over a 1/2 second of lag.

Hopefully there will be some instructions to optimize the experience in the coming days.

So got a chance to hook it up...
+ Loaded up Persona 4 Golden and Rayman Origins. Looks really good in HD.
+ Very small, can fit in pocket
+ Controls are the same as a PS3
- Menus are still 544p
- Not many apps out yet
- It is still the Vita OS on a big screen
Overall about what I expected for $100.
Will try out streaming and NOW...

Jomjom

Banned
Yes well incase my Vita is on OFW 3.18 but I can send new games (like Minecraft) to it by using the website to dl to the Vita. Not sure if it will work on PSTV since I dont got one but if you activate it without updating like that guide linked, I bet you can do just that.

Now my question to you guys with one. Say you got your Vita on OFW 3.18 like me, can you play your games on PSTV OFW 3.20 without problems if you transfer a mem card between the two? I know 3.18 similar to 3.20 but just wondering if it would ask to update or not compatible. (as PSTV has a "newer" Firmware)

Thanks that's great to hear. Which guide are you referring to by the way?

I'd recommend holding off for a little while. Streaming was my main reason to buy it, and I have a fully wired connection and in both automatic, and 720p I see bad input lag. 720p as better, but Zen Pinball had well over a 1/2 second of lag.

Hopefully there will be some instructions to optimize the experience in the coming days.

do you have a vita?

my vita streaming RP experience has been quite good. nothing close to what i'd describe as "1/2 second of lag" so i assumed that a wired pstv would be even better (as the DF article described)

Jawmuncher

There's not a list saying which vita games save to the cart and which to the memory card is there? Since at least for my retail stuff. Just swapping games between both systems would be nice.

Fuck this is disappointing. I'm trying mine out tonight when I get home. My house is hard wired with CAT6 and a gigabit switch, so I am probably the best case scenario for this to work. I'll report back when I try it out.

Yeah, I would hope it would work quite well. Honestly, I was using remote play on my Vita, directly connected wirelessly. I was only about 6-10 feet away, but it worked great (Lag in Watch Dogs wasn't very noticable). I would hope a wired connection, set up properly would be just as good on PS TV.

SScorpio

do you have a vita?

my vita streaming RP experience has been quite good. nothing close to what i'd describe as "1/2 second of lag" so i assumed that a wired pstv would be even better (as the DF article described)

I do have a Vita, and yes the PS4 and PSTV are both hard wires, and the remote play directly connect to Vita option is disabled.

So far I've tried NFS:Rivals since I had the disk in and was too lazy to walk across the house to change it. On automatic display setting the game looked really good but wasn't really playable due to input lag. Changing the display on the PSTV to force 720p and the game didn't look as good, but the lag seemed to be gone, but after a few minutes of playing it appeared again.

It was in 720p when I tried Zen Pinball. The lag I mention was hitting a flipper when the ball was about a 1/3 of the way from the edge. Normally this would instantly launch the ball. But via remote play the ball would be launch off the edge of the flipper due to it rolling further down due to the lag.

Top Bottom