• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

I genuinely do not understand your pricing here. You seem to have shot for as high as you can get for 64GB card (£60 seems to be the going rate these days - I got mine for £55) but you've just picked an average price for the Dualshock 4 (if you were in the business of making it look like a bad deal, pick the £55 it costs to get a DS4 in HMV).

My pricing was all based on Amazon.co.uk prices for all the items I would need to get the best experience with the device (Add some Vita games to that shopping list and it will cost me almost the same as a Wii-U with Mario Kart....)

It is the same tired old argument for 3 years now.

That just proves how much of a problem it is.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This thing is probably deader than disco the second it arrives since they're trying to break into a crowded streaming device market dominated by Roku, Amazon FireTV, AppleTV, etc.... I'm not sure the PS capability is enough to get a foot-hold. If Sony were smart enough to design this thing as being the ultimate streaming device, easy to root/hack, load XBMC on it easily, etc...then it might have a shot. But knowing Sony it'll be locked down with some proprietary bullshit that gimps its potential. So, taken in that context I doubt it'll end up as good of a streaming device as either my Roku 3s or my FireTV.

With that said, I might pick one up if I can get it at a discount. $100 for the bundle and I'd probably be sold just for the PS4 remote play.

Edit: No USB 3.0, no 1080P, no 5.1 sound...? Ouch. Not good.

Gotta leave something so they can 'improve' in the inevitable vita TV 2.

A 8 or 16gb card is fine, and the proprietary cards are a security measure, which I get after how quickly the Wii and Xbox 360 were cracked. Blame pirates for the extra security: they're the reason you don't get SD cards on Vita.

so you think the average, paying consumer should foot the bill because companies don't know how to properly lock down their systems? i assume you enjoy forced-always online, and fully supported microsoft's DRM endeavors too right?

it's okay to like the vita, champion it and tell everyone it's a great system, but still be honest about its flaws. one of those flaws are the memory cards, which cost way too much.

if it was all about security, why doesn't sony simply lower the prices of memory cards to a similar price-point as micro sdhc cards?

i amazes me how far people will go to defend anti-consumer actions by a huge corporation. especially one that would be far better served by doing things differently. one could argue that selling the vita with less expensive storage alternatives could drive sales above and beyond any potential piracy measures that could be implemented.

Zaku

My pricing was all based on Amazon.co.uk prices for all the items I would need to get the best experience with the device (Add some Vita games to that shopping list and it will cost me almost the same as a Wii-U with Mario Kart....)

That just proves how much of a problem it is.

Best experience does not equal cost of entry. Technically the best experience for a PS4 requires a second controller and a SSD to replace the HD. Should those factor in as costs? God no.

If you don't like the bundled game, you can get a 16gb card cheaper than the bundle, which is plenty of space for a secondary or even tertiary console running Vita games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the US PSN now accesible in Vita TV?

And correct me if I'm wrong... I can buy an Asian Vita TV and connect my US PSN account and play my games from different regions, yes?

Zaku

so you think the average, paying consumer should foot the bill because companies don't know how to properly lock down their systems? i assume you enjoy forced-always online, and fully supported microsoft's DRM endeavors too right?

it's okay to like the vita, champion it and tell everyone it's a great system, but still be honest about its flaws. one of those flaws are the memory cards, which cost way too much.

if it was all about security, why doesn't sony simply lower the prices of memory cards to a similar price-point as micro sdhc cards?

i amazes me how far people will go to defend anti-consumer actions by a huge corporation. especially one that would be far better served by doing things differently. one could argue that selling the vita with less expensive storage alternatives could drive sales above and beyond any potential piracy measures that could be implemented.

Never said it wasn't a flaw, just pointed out that the proprietary cards ARE Sony's way of locking door down their console. I'm not for or against the Vita in particular, but I do feel that jumping down a company's throat for every decision they make which isn't utterly optimal for me as a consumer makes little sense.

Sony made their choice and presented a product to me. I could wish it was better, but demanding changes or getting angry about it serves very little purpose at this stage.

Renpatsu

Is the US PSN now accesible in Vita TV?

And correct me if I'm wrong... I can buy an Asian Vita TV and connect my US PSN account and play my games from different regions, yes?
If it works like a Vita you'll be able to assign a single PSN account of any region to any PS TV regardless of region. That means you can only play games from the region of the PSN account that is currently assigned since there doesn't seem to be any user switching like the PS3 or PS4.

On topic: is remote play only local? Or would this work in Hotels/friends houses etc?
As the OS is effectively that of a Vita it should work the same way. So local or via the internet. If anything it'd be more efficient because you can attach an ethernet cable to the PS TV.

Is a rant like this even necessary? There's one of you outraged guys in every vita thread, don't be a drama lama.

On topic: is remote play only local? Or would this work in Hotels/friends houses etc?

jwk94

Is a rant like this even necessary? There's one of you outraged guys in every vita thread, don't be a drama lama.

Same as Vita so it will work in a hotel/friends house etc.

goonergaz

Sorry if this has been covered, but how do accounts work with this vs Vita?

I have 5 people access my PS4, can we all access our accounts on the Vita TV or (like the Vita) is it the account holder only - and if it's the account holder only, does the trick work where switching on a 2nd controller and switching user work so the kids can play upstairs?

Lower resolution too. (I think remote play tops out at 720p)
Also, 30fps.

People should really read the reviews posted in the OP. There is a reason only GAF impressions were posted: the professional hardware reviews are not that good.
Does a wired connection have any impact on PS4 remote play?
• Digital Foundry did a report on just that. Ethernet does appear to have a positive impact on remote play. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-playstation-tv-remote-play
This in particular. Not only did Ethernet have a positive effect, the article says that plugging the PS4 and VitaTV into the same router was the only way to make the game feel responsive.

Digital Foundry said:
We've already looked at the handheld Vita's Remote Play credentials back at the launch of PS4. Our verdict at the time? Image quality takes a hit but is generally OK on the small screen, but the latency is palpable to the point where controls on certain games just don't feel right any more.

Digital Foundry said:
Finally, we had a breakthrough of sorts. Using the same router we attached PlayStation TV via ethernet, giving a full, wired connection between both devices. We won't lie to you, latency is still clearly in evidence, but this is obviously the preferred way to utilise Remote Play. Killzone Shadow Fall and Watch Dogs gained a new level of response we hadn't experienced previously, and we could progress through both games without feeling that the lag was massively intrusive.

Luckily, as we can see, it is compared to regular Vita remote play. If you're someone who finds that flawless you're unlikely to have issues, but it should be noted what the professional word actually is on the matter.

I'm not on a hate crusade as I'm probably keeping my preorder, which was made well after looking into this, but it seems disingenuous not to bring it up, to say the least. I don't think fans are doing anyone any favors by not bringing up criticisms that directly affect the reasons why people may want to purchase.

Number45

This in particular. Not only did Ethernet have a positive effect, the article says that plugging the PS4 and VitaTV into the same router was the only way to make the game feel responsive.
:(

I won't be running wires into the next room, so I'm probably out on this unless I can convince myself I want it for Vita games. I guess I'll pick up a second PS4 in the future.

really hope people don't pick one of these up thinking it'll be a good replacement for vita...

anyone interested in buying one: your intent should be to stream ps4 games and a set top box...not vita stuff.

buy a vita if you want to experience a vita.

that said if i had a 2nd tv I'd def pick this up for ps4 streaming.

Craft

This is a pretty sweet deal if anybody is interested. A Playstation TV for $76.98/£48.01
http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-tv-paOS-13-49-en-70-77lt.html

There is only one left in stock though, hope it helps someone...
Edit: Also remove the free pouch if you want cheaper shipping.

For those that don't know:
OK boys and girls, great news.

US/UK accounts are now working on the japanese model of Playstation TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eXZqyIkcs

:D

bigkrev

Can I just pop the card out of my vita, stick it in this, play some stuff, and when i'm done pop the card back into my vita, without any other hassles?

I have a 64 gig card and an 8 gig card, I gave my 32 to my brother.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My biggest beef about this is not about the hardware itself but the fact that , if I remember correctly, you can only have the same software license on two different devices. I already have a vita and vita slim, so I guess either i'm gonna have to deactivate one of those or just use my vita tv as a persona 4 streaming machine.

Either way, I bought a new DS4 just for the occasion, and i'm considering getting another 64gb vita mem card, but I think it may be overkill (lol).

GulAtiCa

I'm getting this. Just hope there is less lag with this in my bedroom then using Vita for PS4 remote play. It will be closer to the router/PS4 in general, so that will hopefully help.

GulAtiCa

I hope Sony convinces Amazon to release Amazon Video for this device.

I can see myself using this a lot in the weekend mornings and nights for PS4 Minecraft.

BasilZero

This is awesome.

Will be getting this for sure ;d

Does anyone know if Disgaea 3 will work? For some reason it was omitted but 1, 2, and 4 are on the list?

Can I just pop the card out of my vita, stick it in this, play some stuff, and when i'm done pop the card back into my vita, without any other hassles?

I have a 64 gig card and an 8 gig card, I gave my 32 to my brother.

i read in another thread that it messes with your folders doing that.

Dragon

Banned
Have they updated it to make it compatible with the NA store and the NA games?

It is compatible with NA games after firmware 3.3. I have a Japanese version that will work if I sign in to my NA PSN account. However the store won't be live until I assume the 14th. So you'll have to download and transfer from a Vita at this point which is a bit tedious.

Good to know the JPN PS TV can be used on all PSN accounts now. I just don't think I could get used to pressing O for enter.

It's a bit weird, but it only applies to the OS. All the NA games use X to confirm.

I just realized Disgaea 3 is not supported. I guess they did not patch it because you can get by without the touch screen. It is so odd because 1, 2, and 4 are all supported.
I also am buying Zero Escape again because I want to play it in HD on a big screen.
I am glad this thing exists because the Vita really needs more love and this is a cheap way to do it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is the Lego game in the bundle in an actual case?

My biggest beef about this is not about the hardware itself but the fact that , if I remember correctly, you can only have the same software license on two different devices. I already have a vita and vita slim, so I guess either i'm gonna have to deactivate one of those or just use my vita tv as a persona 4 streaming machine.

Either way, I bought a new DS4 just for the occasion, and i'm considering getting another 64gb vita mem card, but I think it may be overkill (lol).

Wasn't the activation limit for "portable" raised to 3 for the Vita TV in Japan?
If the same here, that would allow for your 3 devices.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Is the Lego game in the bundle in an actual case?

Wasn't the activation limit for "portable" raised to 3 for the Vita TV in Japan?
If the same here, that would allow for your 3 devices.

I hope this is true, do you have a link?

JB1981

This is perhaps the most pointless device released in a long time in the industry. Originally labeled as Vita TV, it turns out that only plays a handful of Vita titles...ok.
Hopefully it bombs as hard as it did in Japan so we don't see Sony wasting their time and money in a similar product.

Agree to disagree. My entire PS Vita library, PS4 library over remote play with a wired connection and PS Now streaming on one device for $99 says you are wrong.

GulAtiCa

This is perhaps the most pointless device released in a long time in the industry. Originally labeled as Vita TV, it turns out that only plays a handful of Vita titles...ok.
Hopefully it bombs as hard as it did in Japan so we don't see Sony wasting their time and money in a similar product.

It's a nice product to use a PS4 remote play for another room. Esp on another floor.

Top Bottom