• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

May16

And hey guys...did I just brick my Vita?

I plugged it into my PC for the first time and it installed the drivers successfully, but now I can't turn it on. The PS button is flashing purple.

EDIT: After plugging it into an outlet and holding down the power button for 30 seconds, the light turned orange and I was able to start it. What the hell was that?

This happened to me too!
Except I haven't done anything with plugging mind into a computer yet. I just ticked mine into sleep mode during Golf, then the next day I couldn't turn my Vita on. I plugged it in and let it charge fully while the PS Button was flashing orange, then it turned on and was right back to the same spot on the course. It was weird.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tempted to pick up VT4 just from Faf's comments

for trophies, are you screwed if you try and play while connected to the wrong account, or can you carry on later?

Eg US account, start playing, earn a couple of trophies. Switch to Japanese account to okay different game. Start this game and get warning about trophies but i can continue to use the save game.

When i switch back to US account, will i start earning trophies again, or are they dead forever?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
And hey guys...did I just brick my Vita?

I plugged it into my PC for the first time and it installed the drivers successfully, but now I can't turn it on. The PS button is flashing purple.

EDIT: After plugging it into an outlet and holding down the power button for 30 seconds, the light turned orange and I was able to start it. What the hell was that?
It's just Vita going bananas, I have no idea why this happens sometimes, but we all (?) have experienced it.

I realize this is the Japanese launch thread, but I can't contain my excitement in announcing that I've pre-ordered and paid for the PS Vita first edition bundle in Canada.

Loving the impressions and news in this thread, cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Bukana

I am really angry/sad that those PSP games aren't gonna be on the PSN.
I hope Square Enix sees this problem and act on it immediately.

Got my import Vita today, man what a device. Every bit of it from the Hardware to the OS just seems so well done; and the screen is so beautiful.

No full games yet, waiting on a copy of Katamari to come in, but I have played all the demos on the JP store. Gravity Rush seems like it is gonna be really awesome, very much looking forward to getting it when it is out.

Bukana

To think of it, Birth By Sleep will eventually come to Vita, because they already announced Volume II, haven't they !?

Still, Crisis Core and other games won't.

Jonnyram

So I'm playing Ridge Racer some more, probably against my better judgement, and it is turning out to be a decent setup.

The lack of tracks/cars etc. is undoubtedly a huge mark against Namco's name, and that's a shame, because this is the first Ridge Racer to have interesting car customisation. It takes a while to unlock because of the nature of the upgrade tree, but now I'm at level 7 (which also means my cars are grade 5, and the spot races are starting to get tricky), I have a couple of options for each category.

How does it work?
You have three upgrade banks, A B & C.
In the A slot, you can have a speed upgrade - stuff like improving turbo start, or auto turbo start.
In the B slot, you have your choice of Nitro upgrade - I just unlocked Flex nitro, which works like nitro in R4 (hold the button to use Nitro, let go to stop)
In the C slot, you get some tech upgrade - like improved slipstream, jamming opponent slipstream, etc.

Regarding the skill level - if you keep playing offline Spot Race (vs 7 CPU cars), you can get as far as level 10. At level 7, things are starting to get comparable to rank 3 in the 360 game, if you've played that. I can usually get into 3rd or 2nd place pretty quickly, but the car in 1st will keep blocking you, and uses nitro well. It's normal to be in 2nd place until the last lap. I don't know how hard level 10 is, but I assume it'll be pretty damned tricky, and that's the max you can get to for offline Spot Races anyway. Another thing I've noticed is that the cars can stay in a pack if 8, rather than divided into small packs of 3s like previous Ridge titles. Even with the whole pack on the screen, the framerate stays the same, so I'm wondering if they are just rendering all cars no matter what is on the screen as a way to ensure a stable experience off- or online.

After maxing out offline, you can then get up to level 16 by racing against ghosts in ghost battle and/or racing online. I don't think anyone's gone above 16 yet, so it might be the max for now. Online races are pretty damned smooth also. They support up to 8 players, and you have a lobby with text shortcuts / emoticons for chatting if you join while a race is on.

As for the graphics, I think the framerate is an unfortunate mess, but hopefully they can patch it later, alongside the upcoming DLC. If they patch it, it will be a great looking game, no questions.

I know a lot of the hate is because of the 3 tracks for 3000 yen (plus DLC later) bullshit, but underneath that is a pretty promising Ridge Racer game.

lupinko

The rumor is that there's a piece of music that's preventing CC from going onto PSN. This same piece of music was missing from the digital release of CC's soundtrack.

That doesn't explain why some of the other SE PSP games are missing (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc.).

CC as in Chrono Cross? Thats been up on jpsn for awhile now iirc.

Edit whoops crisis core my mistake.

newsguy

People playing Minna No Golf... is it like the ps3 version where you simply progress and get new characters, or does it share more with the PSP version in that it has more rpg elements? IMO psp version was more addictive because of all the little accesories you could add to characters to boost their stats.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
But let's not link "powerhouse" and resolution arguments - VT4 is native, 60fps, and runs with at least 4xAA as well - frankly it doesn't only put PS3 version to shame(DPI and the screen at work), it makes the non-native Vita games look bad after you played it.
As far as selling the hardware/wow factor - it's better at doing so then any techdemo I've seen in last 11 years of console hardware.
VT4 is the new Ridge Racer.

And just like that, it became a day 1 purchase. Hype!

I knew VT4 would be something special when I saw all the Vita-specific modes Sega added. First person tennis, single-screen multiplayer, facial recognition etc. all seemed like quite impressive additions for what could have easily been a lazy but nevertheless solid port. I'm glad what we got was more than solid.

A couple of Vita questions:

How do you change screen brightness? How are the lowest / highest brightness levels compared to either DS/DSi/DSi XL / 3DS / PSP?

Any way to change the page peeling from top right corner to top left corner?

How much 'real' memory do 4GB / 8GB / 16GB / 32GB feature?

I would love to know the answer to these questions; regardless, I'm quite sure I'll be picking up a Wi-Fi Vita on the Feb. 22 launch. Still debating between 8GB or 16GB though... Thanks for the answers in advance!

Hmmm should I believe GAF or Gamekult. Gamekult thinks it doesn't seem like a rushed game that was pieced together quickly for launch while many gaffers think this is the case (controls, resolution).

At least they don't complain about the controls too much in the review. They agree on the fact that it uses a lot of gimmicks to showcase the Vita's features but say that at least these mechanics are functional.

For now it's going to be on my maybe pile.

You got to remember that gaffers aren't completely satisfied with U3 either and that's by Naughty Dog, I think we're just expecting way too much from Bend and way too much from a handheld game, U2 has basically ruined everything from everyone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A couple of Vita questions:

How do you change screen brightness? How are the lowest / highest brightness levels compared to either DS/DSi/DSi XL / 3DS / PSP?

How much 'real' memory do 4GB / 8GB / 16GB / 32GB feature?

I would love to know the answer to these questions; regardless, I'm quite sure I'll be picking up a Wi-Fi Vita on the Feb. 22 launch. Still debating between 8GB or 16GB though... Thanks for the answers in advance!

My 16GB shows 14GB free on the vita.

jonnyram, thanks for the ridge impressions. Framerate is a pity and it looks like they have effects (dof etc) which if they dropped would boost the framerate.

Takao

Banned
I think Sony found a new scam way to sell Memory Cards. Put licensed characters on them!

yolBL.jpg

(Yes, this is a PSP memory card, it won't work with Vita)

areal

Holding down the PS button brings up a menu with options for brightness, custom soundtrack, etc. I have the brightness set to well below half way and it's as bright or brighter than my PSP 2000 on full brightness.

I don't think so.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But let's not link "powerhouse" and resolution arguments - VT4 is native, 60fps, and runs with at least 4xAA as well - frankly it doesn't only put PS3 version to shame(DPI and the screen at work), it makes the non-native Vita games look bad after you played it.
As far as selling the hardware/wow factor - it's better at doing so then any techdemo I've seen in last 11 years of console hardware.

+1 billion

game is balls out awesome - forshame Japan on shunning it, not even top 10 physical or downloads

I'm in the second half of Uncharted and it's gotten MUCH better. I was enjoying it before, but I like the direction it has taken.

Visuals are still beautiful on the Vita screen.

May16

I am posting this in hopes SOMEONE whose using a screen protector can give me their impressions.

I've been using a screen protector since Day 2 of owning the Vita and when I made the jump, I didn't notice any changes in touch screen functionality. It's still as responsive and accurate as it was before I added the protector. Haven't had any problems here, if that's what you're asking.

Not - although GravityDaze style would be aliased regardless.

I've been a VT fan since VT2 was released on Dreamcast. Guess I'll be picking VT4 on day one in the US.

Faf, how's the online multiplayer?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Uh, the fight with White Chaos (aka. Cthulu 2.0) was the most tedious so far in LoA. I think it took me 15 minutes and most of it was waiting for that damn thing to attack me.

bigswords

This may be a stupid question - but did you try formatting your memory card?

Dont think on the Vita there's an option for it. Once you stick in your memory card, and turn on the system it does a slight pause saying "updating database" and the system is loaded as per normal.

Probably you can go to settings --> system and see the amount of free and used space on the memory stick.

bigswords

I am posting this in hopes SOMEONE whose using a screen protector can give me their impressions.

I am using the screen protector that came with the HK uncharted bundle, was ok. It only covers the screen, I find that I needed to season the protector as it felt to clingy, but after a few uses it's really nice.

There's another screen protector that covers EVERY glass part of the face of the PSP Vita but think it's going to be a bitch to put it on.

DCharlie

Can we get some more detailed impressions please, I am really considering making this my launch title. :)

i didn't play the console version so not sure how much is the same - playign through the "world tour" which plays out like a board game in so much you have "moves" on a board based on travel tickets.

As per previous games, you then get to play mini games to level up - basically much the same as the previous versions although now you have less choice in what you play as it's dictated by the board. You also get the change to get "rest/recovery" tickets along the way to help manage your physical state.

Obviously along the way you have your usual tournaments (Singles and doubles) and you get the change to hire your doubles partner. Game allows you to set your level at the start of the game (Beginner , amateur or pro) so you can scale the game from the offset which is nice.

Game feels a tad slower than usual, but gameplay is as good as ever at a rock solid 60fps. Game looks insane. 30fps replays have added effects and again look fantastic. The import version has little English (and some of what is there is wrong ;) ) so isn't import friendly , but the whole package is easily the most polished and complete game of the launch titles and if i had to chose ONE game out of the 20+ titles at Japanese launch it would be Power Smash 4 in a split second.

Fantastic game, well executed, hats off to Sega.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Fuck. I think I messed up my Uncharted save. I restarted new game on Hard, and chose to overwrite the previous save. Now I don't have any of the loot I collected on my previous play through. What was I thinking?

Bukana

Fuck. I think I messed up my Uncharted save. I restarted new game on Hard, and chose to overwrite the previous save. Now I don't have any of the loot I collected on my previous play through. What was I thinking?

That's too bad.
BTW, does Vita has the PS+ features, like uploading save file on the cloud !?

Jonnyram

Wait, do you have to get all the loot in a single playthrough? I thought you'd be able to go back and build on your collection each playthrough :(

Jeels

i didn't play the console version so not sure how much is the same - playign through the "world tour" which plays out like a board game in so much you have "moves" on a board based on travel tickets.

As per previous games, you then get to play mini games to level up - basically much the same as the previous versions although now you have less choice in what you play as it's dictated by the board. You also get the change to get "rest/recovery" tickets along the way to help manage your physical state.

Obviously along the way you have your usual tournaments (Singles and doubles) and you get the change to hire your doubles partner. Game allows you to set your level at the start of the game (Beginner , amateur or pro) so you can scale the game from the offset which is nice.

Game feels a tad slower than usual, but gameplay is as good as ever at a rock solid 60fps. Game looks insane. 30fps replays have added effects and again look fantastic. The import version has little English (and some of what is there is wrong ;) ) so isn't import friendly , but the whole package is easily the most polished and complete game of the launch titles and if i had to chose ONE game out of the 20+ titles at Japanese launch it would be Power Smash 4 in a split second.

Wow, that's quite glowing. I've actually never played a Virtua Tennis game.

Did you get a chance to try the network play?

$h@d0w

I did this exact same thing when I finished the game!

I am gonna back up DCharlie here and say that VT4 is excellent. I don't own the full Vita version, but I have the 360 version of it and I have played the demo on Vita.

As far as I can tell it is a perfect port, I would even say that it looks better because of the screen size. The World Tour mode (at least on 360) is really great and offers a lot of replay value. When you finish the 3 seasons of the tour, probably about 2-4 hours, you can go back in with the same character on the same or harder difficulty and keep leveling him up. I am not too sure about network features on either version of the game since I have only been playing through the World Tour on 360, but if you want a fun and easily accessible tennis game with a lot of Single Player content I would easily recommend VT4.

Shancake

What?!? Not import friendly? When I watched the Red Sun Gamer live stream it was all in English. Is it just World Tour that has Japanese?

DCharlie

Is it just World Tour that has Japanese?

yup, but that mode for me is the crux of the game - it's wall after wall of japanese text and whilst you could definitely bombard your way through it it might be difficult for people with no Japanese.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
bigswords said:
Dont think on the Vita there's an option for it.
There is - in the same menu where you can Reset the System.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Faf, how's the online multiplayer?
I'm waiting for English localized version, only playing the demo so far (and I already played through it multiple times lol).
Maybe DC can try it for all of us to see ;) Although speaking of networking, it's nice seeing my Vita outperform PS3 quite comfortably on Wireless - PSN downloads are noticeably faster (not to mention the auto-background download and auto-install).

Keiician said:
That Gundam game for Vita screenshots.
Gotta say it's nice seeing all these Japanese games using AA, Japanese studios were shy of using AA on other consoles for way too long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom