• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerZona

Just got my 3G PS Vita (HK set), and the first thing i noticed is the screen, it's SO BEAUTIFUL. Damn~!

I guess everyone will definitely comment about the screen when seeing the Vita in person!

Doen't seem to be a stock problem.

Those are very poor numbers for a console in his second week.

A price drop could be a suicide, but a bundle with a 16Gb/8Gb memory for western countries seems necessary

Price drops aren't going to help it. Sony needs to secure popular third party titles, and they've done an unbelievably poor job at doing that so far. That's its biggest problem by far.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Price drops aren't going to help it. Sony needs to secure popular third party titles, and they've done an unbelievably poor job at doing that so far. That's its biggest problem by far.
You're talking about Vita having a pretty good third party support at launch, or about all Sony consoles?

Respawn

Banned
I have to laugh at Sony sometimes. I would have bent over pass the toes to have a game like COD ready for western launch day. Or even a nice port of Vanquish or Bayonetta.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The PS3 has fantastic third party support, so they have no issues there. The Vita's third party support from a sales standpoint is about as poor as it gets.

Adding to that, PS3 sales started to pick up after MGS4's release. That's where more and more third party games came out for the PS3.

71K in 7 days when 3DS did 200K even though it was overpriced, had absolutely no games worth playing and came out in a slower month!

At the risk of pulling a BurntPork:

You were the handheld no one was brave enough to conceive,
The handheld no one thought was possible,
The handheld we all wanted,
But not the handheld we deserved,
It was nice knowing you Vita, RestInPeace.

3DS has no games worth playing? Yet a bunch of titles in the top 10.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I have to laugh at Sony sometimes. I would have bent over pass the toes to have a game like COD ready for western launch day. Or even a nice port of Vanquish or Bayonetta.

you have to rely on devs to push it out even though they have a schedule to hold themselves.

I figure Vita will have some nice numbers when its released in US though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
While I don't doubt that Vita screen is high quality, I doubt is better than my Galaxy Note one so I don't expect to be blown away by it. If it does, it would be great, though. :)

Takao

Banned
I think Vita's numbers in the US will be terrible. This thing isn't doing well in the one market it should be, now imagine how it'll do in a market that shunned its predecessor, and believes handheld games should be $1 unless they're Mario or Pokemon.

gaming_noob

I agree. Just can't see Vita doing well in the US with iphone games. I'm a casual gamer myself and I didn't even know this is about to launch here.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally got the last chapter of Lord of Apocalypse and played around a bit to get what I think are the strongest helmet and armor in the game. Still can't upgrade my weapon to it's [Max] version, but whatever.
Funny thing is that I'm not even half way there in terms of level (200 is max) and about 1/3 of the quests in the last (∞) chapter require equipping a specific weapon. I've mastered 2 (out of 7) and I doubt I'll complete them any time soon. Still, a very fun game which made me understand why the Japanese people love MonHan so much (I've played 3rd with two Japanese friends and it wasn't even half as much fun as LoA).
The lock on system is a blessing and teammates are also a nice addition for not feeling lonely in single player. The conquest system is a bit annoying as I don't really see any profit from it and yet set my mercenaries to new quests after each quest. You can send them to do the same things but after a certain point monsters start invading like crazy.

Screenshot of the said set (I still thing that the silver non-upgraded version looked better):
aIZwg.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm talking about launch.
3DS launch week had a bunch of games in the Top 10 as well:

01. / 00. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (Sega) {2011.02.24} - 206.654 / NEW
02. / 00. [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.24} - 192.981 / NEW
03. / 00. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) {2011.02.26} - 119.591 / NEW
04. / 00. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.02.24} - 79.425 / NEW
05. / 00. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats (French Bulldog, Shiba, Toy Poodle & New Friends) (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} - 64.213 / NEW
06. / 00. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.26} - 49.327 / NEW
07. / 00. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44.649 / NEW
08. / 00. [3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.26} - 38.226 / NEW
09. / 04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 36.323 / 4.325.672 (-9%)
10. / 00. [360] The Idolmaster 2 (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.24} - 34.621 / NEW

So a lot of people found these games to be worth playing, otherwise they wouldnt have bought them.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I agree. Just can't see Vita doing well in the US with iphone games. I'm a casual gamer myself and I didn't even know this is about to launch here.

right that's because you are a casual gamer who doesn't really keep up with the industry.
I do know a good amount of casual gamer's though who only deal with handhelds.

I truly hate what the iphone has done to gaming, there is some gems out there but vast majority is crap

All this Vita doom & gloom. Yeesh, some of you guys are too dramatic. 3DS has Monster Hunter right now, that's why Vita's launch hadn't been strong.

Don't worry people, all will be well soon enough. I'm SCEJ will toss Capcom a money hat and Vita will have Monster Hunter sometime in 2012.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
All this Vita doom & gloom. Yeesh, some of you guys are too dramatic. 3DS has Monster Hunter right now, that's why Vita's launch hadn't been strong.

Don't worry people, all will be well soon enough. I'm SCEJ will toss Capcom a money hat and Vita will have Monster Hunter sometime in 2012.

they need to toss me a damn money hat lol.

Crapcom, make MH with legit online support and I will buy! YOU HEAR THAT!?

test_account

XP-39C²
I mentioned the Vita to a friend yesterday and he thought that it was years away from being launched, since he had hardly hearded anything about it over here. I guess that the hype/adverticement will pick up here closer to launch though.

Takao

Banned

SCEJ has absolutely no money to throw around. The fact that they're the smallest in SCEWWS should tell you that they lack funding.

wonder what kind of "ambassador" problem sony got in store. I think it'll just be a thank you email and that's it and a free theme for ps3.

Takao

Banned
wonder what kind of "ambassador" problem sony got in store. I think it'll just be a thank you email and that's it and a free theme for ps3.

There won't be any ambassador program just the email that says "Thank you for purchasing a PlayStation Vita, unfortunatly we at Sony have decided to discontinue this product. Maybe you'll enjoy one of our latest Android smartphones."

SCEJ has absolutely no money to throw around. The fact that they're the smallest in SCEWWS should tell you that they lack funding.

I'm pretty sure that their size has more to do with them wanting to be that "small" more than a lack of funding. SCEJ has never been big even if you go back to the PSone days when they released puzzle games that sold over a million units in Japan.

creid

Capcom sold millions of MHs on PSP. I don't think they'll need any convincing to do the same again on Vita.

There won't be any ambassador program just the email that says "Thank you for purchasing a PlayStation Vita, unfortunatly we at Sony have decided to discontinue this product. Maybe you'll enjoy one of our latest Android smartphones."

no it'll be like "hi, remember the PSPGo? No? Well Here's how it feels to own one"

They need to get more Wifi Models out there.
Based on the sales info we have, those were selling out in the opening days.

Capcom sold millions of MHs on PSP. I don't think they'll need any convincing to do the same again on Vita.

Given the power of the Vita, the expectations for MonHun would be high and require a lot more dev time and resources. I have little doubt it will come eventually, but with them still tied up with Dragon's Dogma until early next year, they probably won't be able to move forward with anything of the sort.

X26

Banned
right that's because you are a casual gamer who doesn't really keep up with the industry.
I do know a good amount of casual gamer's though who only deal with handhelds.

I truly hate what the iphone has done to gaming, there is some gems out there but vast majority is crap

sounds familiar, almost as if that's the exact same case with dedicated handhelds

ballerusk

What kind of pouch did you [buyers of Vita] buy? I'm thinking of ordering this one as it looks good and not bulky, but it's sold out for the moment. But maybe there are better ones for storing games, memory cards, headphones etc?

I also hope it will be possible to charge by connecting the device to a computer via USB. I tried connecting it to my Macbook, but nothing happened. I know the Vita (currently?) doesn't suppert Mac for transferring files, but I had hoped it would at least charge so I'm not dependant on a power outlet.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
sounds familiar, almost as if that's the exact same case with dedicated handhelds

I guess so but that really depends on the persons preference and type of game they are playing. Majority of iphone games are simplistic, and i can't see my self personally sitting down for more than 1 hour playing any of them.

What kind of pouch did you [buyers of Vita] buy? I'm thinking of ordering this one as it looks good and not bulky, but it's sold out for the moment. But maybe there are better ones for storing games, memory cards, headphones etc?

I also hope it will be possible to charge by connecting the device to a computer via USB. I tried connecting it to my Macbook, but nothing happened. I know the Vita (currently?) doesn't suppert Mac for transferring files, but I had hoped it would at least charge so I'm not dependant on a power outlet.

you have to turn on the option to charge via USB but I also think mac isn't support to some degree (whatever that means)

Takao

Banned

Yes, because PSP and DS have a gazillion games that are 98% crap...

But will anyone in Japan want to buy a Vita to play a new Monster Hunter when they already have a 3DS and a new Monster Hunter? The only way for a Vita Monster Hunter to be important is if it makes the 3DS one the uncool one to play, which given this is Capcom, and MH4 on 3DS looked really janky, that's impossible.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I bought the Case because the only pouch that seemed to be safe (travel pouch I think) looked pretty big in the introduction movie. I'm not risking having my screen broken so I went for a hard one. It's also pretty neat that you can put it like this:
XlDAj.jpg

Comes in handy when all you want to do is to mess around in the main menu.

And yeah, you can charge it, but the Vita has to be shut down completely (hold the power button, accept when it asks you if you want to turn it off). It should work with any USB device. The "Charge by USB" option has to be turned on of course.

legbone

man, that case really is cool. can't decide between that and the pouch. what do you mean it has to be turned off to charge. can you not play while charging?

ballerusk

And yeah, you can charge it, but the Vita has to be shut down completely (hold the power button, accept when it asks you if you want to turn it off). It should work with any USB device. The "Charge by USB" option has to be turned on of course.

Ah, when I check my settings I see that the box is ticked, but maybe it didn't charge because my system froze right before I plugged it into my mac? However, when I plugged it into the power outlet it started charging so I don't know :/

Edit: But then again, I don't remember if I had turned it completely off before it froze.

Takao

Banned
Ah, when I check my settings I see that the box is ticked, but maybe it didn't charge because my system froze right before I plugged it into my mac? However, when I plugged it into the power outlet it started charging so I don't know :/

No Mac support yet, but I don't know if that's just for data management or recharging.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
man, that case really is cool. can't decide between that and the pouch. what do you mean it has to be turned off to charge. can you not play while charging?
You can use your Vita while charging via the charger, but when you use a PC etc. it has to be turned off.
do you keep ffvi in your super fami to show off?
I keep it there to finish it someday, bought it 2 months ago and didn't have time for it yet. :(

Bumhead

Banned
The Vita is an amazing piece of kit and to be honest, right now it ticks every box for what I want from a console right now. Literally every box.

But there's no way I'm buying it on launch in the UK. Rightly or wrongly the market isn't going to sustain that price point and it's only going to drop in time, probably sooner rather than later at this rate.

legbone

i am all over this thing at launch. i have no doubt that it will succeed. it's just early. every launch is like this. once the games get to flowing and the developers start doing cool things across platform with the ps3 people will buy it. this is a beautiful piece of hardware so even if it fails i will be glad to have owned one.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SOOONY. You can't let the phones take over.

3DS and Vita need to succeed.

Well, I guess the 3DS is now. I think.

C'mon Sony, step yo game up, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom