• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
We found over a dozen within 10km here in the morning. Went out and discovered 6 more or so. Hoping to see many more crop up, but Megabutt or something, you brought a smile to my face. Nice user name.

addyb

Now that psp recommendation requests are a go go can anyone advise on any decent shoot em ups? Anything similar to metal slug or even space shooters like r-type.

TheExodu5

Banned
5) d-pad, face buttons, and analog sticks feel great! I was worried about the button size at first, but it still feels nice. I think if I get used to it, it will feel better. L, R buttons are probably my biggest disappointment.

Forgot about that. Yeah the L and R buttons are awful...they're mushy and don't always register even if they're pushed in. You have to push them in hard.

newsguy

I have mine sitting by my bed right now. How long should I charge it before turning it on? Also, the Skinomi protector looks like absolute crap. I couldn't get out most of the bubbles and there's all kinds of streaking going down it. Supposedly the imperfections go away in 3 days but that's a long time for that ugliness to be on my brand new toy.

Bullza2o

This is my quick impression, comparing to my 10 minutes at the VITA kiosk in gamestop few weeks ago

1) The weight is really light!! - I didn't notice at gamestop, but it is really light. It was same surprise I got when I switched from PSP 1000 to 2000.

2) OLED is beautiful! - I didn't really notice it as much at gamestop, probably due to all the fingerprints and oils at the screen. But yea, when I actually saw it today, it was beautiful. I am iphone4 user, and I like VITA OLED's color more. But mayb because of ppi, iphone4 looks better on web browser

3) Build quality is great - I was a bit worried that it was all plastic, including the front screen. I still wish it had used gorilla glass, but it still looks and feel premium. I was actually impressed with the build quality of my friend's 3DS (compare to NDSL), but this is even better.

4) OS UI is better than what I expected from photos and videos, but it still has big room for improvement. I hope they will update it in the future, or allow more user customization.

5) d-pad, face buttons, and analog sticks feel great! I was worried about the button size at first, but it still feels nice. I think if I get used to it, it will feel better. L, R buttons are probably my biggest disappointment.

I don't know if its my wifi or vita, but PSN store download seems a bit slow.

Yea overall, it looks and feels impressive. The only thing I wish they would fix soon would be some UI adjustment and PC to Vita transfer.
I remembered when I played it on Black Friday. It was an interesting handheld and left a good impression on me.

cyborg009

Banned
DJ Max 3 is pretty great for $20. While I prefer the song selection of 1 and 2, if you're a fan of the series, it's worth it.

I bought Gods Eater Burst for the launch, and I just started playing it. Hot Shots has drained my battery though, so I only got a small bit of play time with it. Everything I've seen and read suggests that it's a slightly easier MH, but similar in feel.

I'm grabbing Katamari as I love the series - its gotten some interesting reviews because of the rehash, but there's a lot of guilty pleasure in playing anything Katamari.

Also, for what it's worth, Gods Eater Burst loads SOOO fast...I think all PSP games load extra quick from what I hear.

You will love the OST the woman who sang calling to night and heaven divide sings a song

legbone

i'm currently thinking of trading in little deviants and the 4gb card i got with my feb. i played a little bit of deviants and it is ok but nothing special. i had more fun with the welcome park or whatever it is called. if i had children i might keep it for them to mess around with. i actually got kind of motion sick playing the ar shooter type game (one of the first two open). and the rolling hill game or whatever it is called was not as fun as i thought. may trade it in tomorrow while i can still get 10 bucks for it. would wait until next week with the target sale but the closest target is 50 miles from me and i can't seem to lumines for the vita on their website.

KillGore

Guys, I've asked a couple of times but it's never been answered, can you please give me your opinion?

I'm thinking about buying DJ Max Portable, do you think the Vita's button size and D-Pad will work fine with the game? The buttons don't worry me THAT much but since the D-pad is completely different now, not sure if that would change anything (like clicking two directions by mistake)

raven777

can anybody tell me how the sleep mode and download works?

Can I leave the system in sleep mode all the time? instead of turning the power off completely?

Also, if I have big download que from PSN, and put my Vita to sleep mode, will it automatically download everything?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damn, the panels are a nice touch in your profile settings. There are TONS of them too from Rogue Galaxy, Ape Escape, Wild Arms, White Knight, Patchwork Heroes, Animals, etc.....

Generic before

2012-02-15-225524cpy71.jpg

Some of the choices

2012-02-15-2256382mlp8.jpg

What I ended up with

2012-02-15-2258238qa58.jpg

For those wondering, panels show up while chatting or in groups (voice chats). It can be a generic color but why would you want that :p

There are crazy amounts so you should find something you like.

sikkinixx

I miss XMB and feel silly for wasting an extra $50 to get the FEB since.... yeah... the case is okay but... yeah. Oh well. I have it. And I feel better haha

Fucking PSN is so damn slow. God it kills me. And the initial setup not working because I couldn't sign into PSN., argh.

Nice screen. I said goddamn. Not as mind blowing as the PSP was but maybe my mind will change once I play the Lumines demo!

Barrett2

According to videogames New York's website, they have it in stock. Anyone know if this is accurate? I wouldn't mind heading to Astor tomorrow morning to pick it up...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Got my FEB today. Absolutely love the thing overall.

A bit of a hate/love relationship with the interface. I dig the bubbles and the touch screen interface but where there was actual button controls on the PSP I kind of wish they stuck aound.

Like when watching a video I'm still used to hitting buttons as it works on the PSP / PS3 to do things but now the entire thing is touch screen based.

The FEB itself is a rip off. Little Deviants is trash, the 4 GB stick is meh and the FEB case is really, really disappointing. I thought it would hold 8 games but its only 4 and its honestly a bit cheaper than it looks. And it smells. Really bad. Will definitely replace it once I find something else I like (god there are so many cases to choose from)I should have held out for the 3G Bundle but not really the end of the world.

Welcome Park is a nice throw in bonus. I don't actually own any other games right now, just playing this and messing around with the device until the B2G1 on Sunday.

Ran rp

Well I just recommended Patapon/Loco Roco in a previous post so I won't go over that again. They should definitely be on your list. DJMax is awesome but tough as nails. I love the game but suck badly at it. Definitely worth $20 though and I can't wait to see the one that's actually built for the Vita to come out. Those 2 would be $35 together so you could still add God's Eater and still be under your $60 and have a ton of quality PSP gaming content to play with.

PataLoco: Yeah, PataLoco was staying on the list no matter what. Those were some of my most wanted PSP games.

DJ Max 3 is pretty great for $20. While I prefer the song selection of 1 and 2, if you're a fan of the series, it's worth it.

I bought Gods Eater Burst for the launch, and I just started playing it. Hot Shots has drained my battery though, so I only got a small bit of play time with it. Everything I've seen and read suggests that it's a slightly easier MH, but similar in feel.

I'm grabbing Katamari as I love the series - its gotten some interesting reviews because of the rehash, but there's a lot of guilty pleasure in playing anything Katamari.

Also, for what it's worth, Gods Eater Burst loads SOOO fast...I think all PSP games load extra quick from what I hear.

DJMP3: One issue I do see with DJMP3 is the Vita's tiny face buttons. I'm pretty good at rhythm games and love them to death but I feel that I'll be much less accurate with the smaller face buttons. I'll probably just wait for Technika to drop.

GEB: I'm liking what I see so far of GEB so I'll keep that.

THE REST!: Well, well, well! It looks like I still have $11.98 in my PSN wallet from that Video Unlimited promotion. That means I can get everything else for just over $60 at $62.95. I think I've got it now, thanks guys.

I really wanna buy VCII and DJ Max but I am wondering if there will be a sale on PSP games next week...or a price hike lol

DJMP3 was just reduced this week I believe, along with a bunch of other games. I'm afraid that there could be a hike at any moment after MonHun was raised to $20 from $10 so I'll lock in the $20 Gods Eater Burst now.

Jeff-DSA

I recorded my unboxing video and will upload that.

I also recorded the first 3-4 minutes of Escape Plan if anybody is interested in watching me fumble around for a bit while I figure it out.

Raine

I feel a lot better that I waited after hearing FEB buyers' impressions (nothing against those that values their purchase or don't care about the price).

PSY・S;35181253 said:
DJMP3 was just reduced this week I believe, along with a bunch of other games. I'm afraid that there could be a hike at any moment after MonHun was raised to $20 from $10 so I'll lock in the $20 Gods Eater Burst now.

I just bought Ape Escape, VCII, and DJMP3. May buy an Armored Core game on Friday for payday. Any other good PSP games?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LiquidMetal14 said:
FUN FACT
Music still plays in stand by mode.
That's just the screen-off mode. Music turns off once system goes to sleep.

James Sawyer Ford said:
is this a system where I should keep it in standby most of the time without worrying too much about battery life?
Like the PSP, there's practically never a reason to turn the thing off - I've seen battery go down faster in some hw when the thing is completely turned off then Vita does on standby.

krae_man

ugh for the love of god Sony, update the PS3 and Vita firmware so that they can tell if you're read messages or responded to friend requests on the other system.

#firstworldproblems

LiquidMetal14

Thanks for breaking my heart Fafalda :p

And a nice little touch are the little tiny bubbles on top of the UI showing which apps you currently have running. Easy to distinguish once you mess with the UI.

2012-02-15-231135u32k2.jpg

DR2K

Banned
I actually want to buy it day 1 for some portable UMVC3, but I just know that a price collapse is coming very soon, just a gut feeling. Either that or CFW, I'll pay full price now if we can get CFW on there.

The one PSN account thing is killing it for me more than anything. I have one PSN account with all my PSP games, like 20 of them, and my current account has a lot of UMVC3 DLC on it. Has anyone found a bypass for this yet? Or a way to combine the content on both my accounts? Er. . .

I actually want to buy it day 1 for some portable UMVC3, but I just know that a price collapse is coming very soon, just a gut feeling. Either that or CFW, I'll pay full price now if we can get CFW on there.

The one PSN account thing is killing it for me more than anything. I have one PSN account with all my PSP games, like 20 of them, and my current account has a lot of UMVC3 DLC on it. Has anyone found a bypass for this yet? Or a way to combine the content on both my accounts? Er. . .

that's nuts! im in the same predicament! i have like 20 psp & 20 ps1 games on my old account, and all the dlc for umvc3 on my current account.

as far as i can tell it doesn't look like we can...unless we buy all the dlc again lol

Can't connect to my wifi or sign up for 3g. I have been wasting an hour on this, and it really is starting to annoy me. I see that either my router really sucks or that sony still can't get their shit together with wifi.

rmrivera

Anyone running into the "np-2244-2" error while trying to buy stuff on the psn store? I've been trying to buy UMvC3 and I keep running into it even though I had purchased and still downloading some other games.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Can't connect to my wifi or sign up for 3g. I have been wasting an hour on this, and it really is starting to annoy me. I see that either my router really sucks or that sony still can't get their shit together with wifi.

Have you tried temporarily making your router unsecure and see if your Vita can even connect?

patsu

What can you do with Near anyway? Can I like message people? Hopefully I can find people in my neighborhood.

Got it to work. I can see 9 other folks within a 3 mile radius.

Near is more interesting than I thought. I'm still learning it. But I think Sony undersell a good concept (again !). "Near" doesn't quite explain what the app is capable of, and its benefits.

You can start exploring from 3 angles

1. Out-and-about
Explore people and activities in the vaccinity (e.g., map out new area, auto-alert when a game becomes more popular in the area).

2. Friends : Friends and their activities
Basically a log of what your friends have been doing

3. Discoveries
Items (and friends ?) you picked up.

The app reports a variety/web of stats about the community. You can also chat with the people you encountered.

Personally, the most interesting view is the "Players' Voice" tab for a game. It seems that when a game becomes more popular, you can see the buzz factor, the number of people playing, the emoticons people assigned to the game, the URL of the game, etc. You can see these collective stats from 3 different perspectives: (a) Players in the vaccinity, (b) Your friends, and (c) Players you have played against.

It's a pity some of these interesting data are buried 2-3 levels down. They should be surfaced in LiveArea too.

But I like what I see so far. Very interesting. I hope they make it bigger, like let me zoom out to the entire GAF's stats. ^_^

LiquidMetal14

How'd you change the wallpaper? I can't seem to find it in settings.

While in the UI/bubble interface, hold any part of the BG and you will see the config intuitively pop up.

I asked once, does anyone know how to change the wallpaper for the wake up screen? I have the zipper wallpaper ready to go.

DR2K

Banned
that's nuts! im in the same predicament! i have like 20 psp & 20 ps1 games on my old account, and all the dlc for umvc3 on my current account.

as far as i can tell it doesn't look like we can...unless we buy all the dlc again lol

Would have been nice if Capcom just gave Vita owners all the DLC for free. . . urgh. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom