• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you just started and want to collect but can't go out cause it's late just use your free incense in your bag!

They give everyone two for starting out

aett

Does the game do anything while it's "opened" but you're in another app, or do you have to have it actually running all the time?

Is it OK for me to be super pissed? The first official word we have is "the game has released in the US!" and no information on when the rest of the world will be getting it.

Damn, there was a bulbasaur on my keyboard and I didn't know about it until I downloaded this app. Surely there is a more efficient method of eradicating this pest than throwing a ball at it.

Well I'm liking Pokemon GO so far, let me tell you that this game drains your battery life fast. Was at 99% when I left and about 30 minutes late I'm at 65%

SaviourMK2

13626536_1749206992024502_1317688479768478738_n.jpg

Gaspard

If two trainers stumble across the same Bulbasaur, what's to stop them from stabbing each other in real life over it?

Pokemon spawns can duplicate, when i went out with my friends to catch Pokemon we caught basically the same Rattatas, Mankeys, etc.

No stabbing necessary.

aBarreras

does anybody has the problem where the app says that it cant detect the phone orientation? :C! i want to use AR, is the whole point of this shit!

Inviusx

So I took off on a Pokemon adventure yesterday and it was pretty fun.

My town has hundreds of Pokestops, I probably went to 50 unique Pokestops in my area. I collected close to 200 Pokeballs and caught 80 Pokemon.

The incubator seems broken. I started incubating a 5.0km egg before I started and probably travelled 30kms in total yesterday. As of this post the incubator says Ive only earnt 3.7kms towards it. Weird...

I wish the PokeStops took longer to refresh. They seem to be on roughly a 5 minute timer until you can use them again. If they took an hour or so to refresh it would probably encourage you to explore more.

I couldnt tell if the Pokemon were environment based. I caught a Shelldor at the beach and didnt find one anywhere else except there but I was also catching Goldeens in parks.

I probably caught 15 Pidgeys and Rattatas, there are way to many of them.

The gym system is cool but pretty bare bones. My girlfriend and I took over 5 gyms or so but we still dont have a good idea what the point of it is. You can leave a Pokémon there to defend the gym but once your outside of the gyms range you dont really get any feedback on if anyone is figting your mon or if youre earning any gym prestige. It probably makes more sense if your willing to stay around the area for a few hours.

The battle system sucks, you basically just tap the screen as quick as you can, super basic and boring.

All in all we had fun, the simple act of walking/driving around, having Pokemon pop up and catching them is novel.

There are many things that this game needs to make it worth coming back to everyday but as something that grabbed our attention for a few hours it was worth the download.

*edit*

One other thing I want to mention. I think its awesome that the Pokemon locations are server side instead of generated at random locally. I was playing on Android and my girlfriend was on IOS. If a Pokemon appeared for me it would appear for her in the exact location and the exact time. That element is super interesting and makes me wonder how it works.

Gurnlei

Whenever I get a notification while in game the sound completely cuts out until I close and restart. Anyone else getting this?

Dragoshi1

So I took off on a Pokemon adventure yesterday and it was pretty fun.

My town has hundreds of Pokestops, I probably went to 50 unique Pokestops in my area. I collected close to 200 Pokeballs and caught 80 Pokemon.

The incubator seems broken. I started incubating a 5.0km egg before I started and probably travelled 30kms in total yesterday. As of this post the incubator says Ive only earnt 3.7kms towards it. Weird...

I wish the PokeStops took longer to refresh. They seem to be on roughly a 5 minute timer until you can use them again. If they took an hour or so to refresh it would probably encourage you to explore more.

I couldnt tell if the Pokemon were environment based. I caught a Shelldor at the beach and didnt find one anywhere else except there but I was also catching Goldeens in parks.

I probably caught 15 Pidgeys and Rattatas, there are way to many of them.

The gym system is cool but pretty bare bones. My girlfriend and I took over 5 gyms or so but we still dont have a good idea what the point of it is. You can leave a Pokémon there to defend the gym but once your outside of the gyms range you dont really get any feedback on if anyone is figting your mon or if youre earning any gym prestige. It probably makes more sense if your willing to stay around the area for a few hours.

The battle system sucks, you basically just tap the screen as quick as you can, super basic and boring.

All in all we had fun, the simple act of walking/driving around, having Pokemon pop up and catching them is novel.

There are many things that this game needs to make it worth coming back to everyday but as something that grabbed our attention for a few hours it was worth the download.

The steps only count when the phone/game is on.

I kept mine on and walked about 2 miles, and it kept it tracked. Walked somewhere else with it off, didn't track it.

I cant even get past the birth date section of registration god damn. Been trying for at least 30-45 minutes now. If some other son of a bitch nabs my screen name I'm gonna throw a hissy fit.

Red

Found a Bellsprout with more CP than the Charmander I powered up four times. This game is neat. My wife thinks I'm insane.

How do I get eggs?

Ffffffffffff, just opened my phone and saw a Scyther and proceeded to capture it and now it's stuck inside a floating Pokeball..........damnit.

Found an evolved Pokemon near my house Nidorina, so not fully evolved sadly. Still finding quite a few of the early game/grass type pokemon just sitting in my house and checking the app every couple minutes.

Inviusx

The steps only count when the phone/game is on.

I kept mine on and walked about 2 miles, and it kept it tracked. Walked somewhere else with it off, didn't track it.

Our phones were on the entire time, probably 5-6 hours open time in total. There was a period where we drove probably 10kms in 45mins with the game open the entire time, it only registered about 300meters. This was the same on both operating systems.

Red

Found an evolved Pokemon near my house Nidorina, so not fully evolved sadly. Still finding quite a few of the early game/grass type pokemon just sitting in my house and checking the app every couple minutes.
When I first started, there was a Hypno nearby. The game froze when I caught a Venonat, and when I restarted, the Hypno was gone. Havent seen another.

Cherubae

Found a Bellsprout with more CP than the Charmander I powered up four times. This game is neat. My wife thinks I'm insane.

How do I get eggs?

Eggs pop up from Pokestops and can be found when you swipe right on your list of Pokemon. You can hold up to 9 eggs and incubate/walk to hatch them.

I caught a Snorlax earlier today and placed him as the leader of my nearby gym. Let's see how long he lasts.

Growlie19

Went on a solid 45 minute walk. Picked Squirtle as my starter and found 15 other unique species, including another Squirtle, Haunter, and Beedrill. Made it to level 5, joined the yellow team, and placed the Beedrill on it. First gym conquered in my town! Liking it so far.

Kirye

My game crashed when I caught Charmander and I didn't get to keep it. :( Also my GPS isn't working for this game.

Top Bottom