• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

kubus

Some kid has overtaken the little playground gym across the street. Looks like I'll have to leave for work early today so I can reclaim it. Give me my gym back you little twerp

So how do you level up? Just catch Pokemon? If I'm out hunting should I leave the up running as I'm riding my bike?

Also doesn't it matter if I signed in through Google over the Pokemon club?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seems like the canal by my apartment may be a decent source of magikarp. I am gonna need a lot so that is good news.
Ah man, I actually have to go outside to play the game? Well, this is certainly gonna be a challenge...
Oh you better believe it

There was something on the other side of the canal. Catch-em-all-itis will put some crazy thoughts in your head...
So how do you level up? Just catch Pokemon? If I'm out hunting should I leave the up running as I'm riding my bike?
I wouldn't. Without a GoPlus you wouldn't really be able to do anything anyway while riding. Plus the battery will basically cannibalize itself with that much rapid GPS and you wouldn't be able to really take advantage. I'd pick a destination (a Pokestop or big intersection or somewhere you'd be going anyway, then check the app again when you get there, maybe move around the area a little bit. Chase down any rustling leaves that are close by.

Listonosh

You can get it back once a rival team battles the gym enough to bump it out. Until then, it stays in the gym to defend it. Your defender score is located on the shield icon inside the shop. You can tap on the defender score once a day or so and be rewarded with in-game coins and dust, and you don't need to be anywhere near your gyms to receive it.

Yay thanks for the clarification! So since there isn't any real battling between Pokemon you find or other people, there's really no penalty do dumping my best Pokemon in a gym then.

jaydogg691

Also doesn't it matter if I signed in through Google over the Pokemon club?

I want to know if this matters too if I'm going to switch to iOS. I tired using my Pokemon account, but the severs were so jammed I couldn't recover my login info.

I gave the game a go on a Nexus 6P and was having fun walking around town, catching Pokemon, and seeing "landmarks" around town. It was a little rough with the spotty cellular connection, but luckily theres TWC hotspots around this one part of town which gave me a smoother experience I was out and about for 2 hours until the phones battery was running out.

Now that this game is out on iOS hopefully I can transfer my progress from Android, but I don't think this will be the case.

WarAdept

Couple of things that I haven't seen people write down yet.

Pokemon have 2 attacks when you catch them. They may not be of that Pokemon's type, so check everything.

There's 2 attacks:

Light attack (done by tapping on the screen when in battle)
Heavy attack (done by holding and releasing after the charge bar is full. Requires gauge generated by Light Attack).

You can also dodge by swiping left or right from your Pokemon.

Seems like the canal by my apartment may be a decent source of magikarp. I am gonna need a lot so that is good news.

Oh you better believe it

There was something on the other side of the canal. Catch-em-all-itis will put some crazy thoughts in your head...

I wouldn't. Without a GoPlus you wouldn't really be able to do anything anyway while riding. Plus the battery will basically cannibalize itself with that much rapid GPS and you wouldn't be able to really take advantage. I'd pick a destination (a Pokestop or big intersection or somewhere you'd be going anyway, then check the app again when you get there, maybe move around the area a little bit. Chase down any rustling leaves that are close by.

How would it detect how much I walked if I didn't have the app running?

MGrant

While my Pokestops are down, I will take this moment to appreciate that the streets near my office form a pokeball:

aDSzxK1.jpg

Bulbasaur

Banned
The library in my town is a gym. I can't access it till level 5. There's a Pokèstop right by it so I'm parked in my car getting 3 balls every 5 mins and I notice a little pulsing circle not far from me so I get out of my car and walk right to it. I'm clicking and nothing's happening then a magpie flies out of nowhere and pecks me on the head! Scared the fuck out of me.

Ending the night at level 7, 25 species caught, and 6 gyms held.
Good fun. Gonna be interesting holding these down. I had to wrest two of them from a dude with a REALLY strong Tauros and Electabuzz. Blue team stays winning though.

So, whats the actual point of this game? I caught my first pokemon. It says go to a pokestop. There is one close by, 5 minute walk. Not going to bother in the dead of night. It seems like there is really nothing left to do?

mreddie

Pokemon GO! |OT| GO-tta Catch Em All
Pokemon GO! |OT| Cell Phone Batteries Will Weep
Pokemon GO! |OT| Where's that damn Blubasaur?

wwm0nkey

So, whats the actual point of this game? I caught my first pokemon. It says go to a pokestop. There is one close by, 5 minute walk. Not going to bother in the dead of night. It seems like there is really nothing left to do?

because you literally just started the game? You have to go out (or use incense) to capture pokemon, you gain XP by doing this. When you hit level 5 you can pick a team and fight and leave pokemon at gyms. You will want to capture other gyms as you get a coin/star dust bonus for holding them

Also to evolve your pokemon you need to capture multiple of the same types.

MajorMane

So, I assume you have to have the app open to count steps for hatching eggs, right? That's a real bummer all things considered. Seems the app also knows the difference between you walking and other modes of transportation, so no riding your bike up and down the bridge.

WarAdept

Oh this guy with the 460+ CP Pinsir is itching for a fight. Been going back and forth all day with my 470+ CP Seaking, contesting this gym for Valor.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I assume you have to have the app open to count steps for hatching eggs, right? That's a real bummer all things considered. Seems the app also knows the difference between you walking and other modes of transportation, so no riding your bike up and down the bridge.
wow even with the app open biking wouldn't count? Sucks. How many steps does it take to hatch eggs? I got like two of them while I was out earlier.

So how to we get money now? In the beta every couple days when you log in the shop the professor would give you money but now I dont know how lol.

MajorMane

wow even with the app open biking wouldn't count? Sucks. How many steps does it take to hatch eggs? I got like two of them while I was out earlier.

I didn't try biking honestly, but I just had it open while driving, not really paying attention to it, and it didn't count towards anything once I got to my destination. Maybe biking would count since it's slower? But either way, seems like you might have to have it literally open for it to count. Not entirely sure.

You can check the distance it takes to hatch the eggs by going to your Pokemon and clicking on eggs in the top-right. I've gotten 2 km and 5 km ones. Worth noting that you have to actually put them in an incubator to start the hatching process.

They come in 2km, 5km, and 10km variants so far it seems. Not sure if they're converted to miles in the US or not.

Is the game working right now for everyone? Mine just loads the map and character and that's it. It doesn't show any gyms or Pokemon.

because you literally just started the game? You have to go out (or use incense) to capture pokemon, you gain XP by doing this. When you hit level 5 you can pick a team and fight and leave pokemon at gyms. You will want to capture other gyms as you get a coin/star dust bonus for holding them

Also to evolve your pokemon you need to capture multiple of the same types.

The game doesn't really explain itself. Just said go to a pokestop. I did notice gyms but when you click on it it says you must be level 5. So far, at least from my perspective, there is very little game to it, which is why I was asking.

So what are the fights like?

Elfstruck

So far I got Bulbasaur, lots of Eevee, exeggcute, nidorano, paras, pidgey, rattata, spearow, venonat, weedle, and zubat. Not bad for an evening :p

MajorMane

They are not converted, haha. I don't really know how much further I have to walk to hatch my 10 km eggs.

You can check on the eggs by going to your Pokemon page, then top right corner, click the eggs tab. They don't hatch if you don't put them in an incubator, I think.

Is the game working right now for everyone? Mine just loads the map and character and that's it. It doesn't show any gyms or Pokemon.

From my experience, this is usually caused by server stress/servers not updating like they should. Really not much you can do about it except wait.

So a guy I know told me to delete and redownload the game since it's out officially now, but now it's saying it's not available in my country. Wtf?

wwm0nkey

The game doesn't really explain itself. Just said go to a pokestop. I did notice gyms but when you click on it it says you must be level 5. So far, at least from my perspective, there is very little game to it, which is why I was asking.

So what are the fights like?
They are real time, you can swipe left and right to dodge in a circle and you tap to use your normal attack and hold to charge moves up from what I understand

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, a Vileplume just rolled up on me using some incense. First thing I've seen with an orange ring instead of green. I hit it with 5 pokes, didn't stay caught and ran off :(

Top Bottom