• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Sobriquet

I used a bait then the server crashed. It only lasts 30 minutes. :(

I got a charmander in my front yard and a bunch of stuff from a couple of pokestops across the street. My wife got a bulbasaur in our bathroom.

edit: Servers are back up

Listonosh

It could be that the game was soft launched more than anything but it's weird to me that there isn't even like a Starter Pack to purchase. Most new f2p mobile games have those these days.

I also wonder if they plan on giving out free items due to the server issues. Used an incense for two minutes then the game crashed and since then couldn't get back on. Now my incense is gone :(

Granted, the incense is probably given out constantly at pokestops but still would be nice. Also, I'd be pretty mad if my profile was wiped. Got a squirtle and charmander.

Ashby

Make sure you put some instructions in with it.

When the leaves poof up in the air, is that a Pokemon out of range?

How far of the distance are the paws? I know theres 1-3 paws

What does tapping a Pokemon and putting a circle around it in the Nearby tab do?

Sterok

If it's incompatible with my phone, is there any chance it will become compatible later, or am I screwed until I get a new phone?

Arrrammis

It could be that the game was soft launched more than anything but it's weird to me that there isn't even like a Starter Pack to purchase. Most new f2p mobile games have those these days.

I also wonder if they plan on giving out free items due to the server issues. Used an incense for two minutes then the game crashed and since then couldn't get back on. Now my incense is gone :(

Granted, the incense is probably given out constantly at pokestops but still would be nice. Also, I'd be pretty mad if my profile was wiped. Got a squirtle and charmander.

So far what I've seen from pokestops are pokeballs, and once you hit rank 5, they also give out potions and revives. When you level up past rank 4, you get incense and other stuff from leveling, but still not from stops. When I hit lvl. 6, I got an incense, 10 pokeballs, 1 extra incubation thing (3 uses), and potions+revives. Not too bad of a system, especially if you can stop by a pokestop every once in a while to keep your pokeball reserves high.

Zee-Row

Banned
What do those blue cube things do that have pictures of landmarks? I also found a gym but it says i have to be level 5 and i can't find any pokemon to level up with.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What do those blue cube things do that have pictures of landmarks? I also found a gym but it says i have to be level 5 and i can't find any pokemon to level up with.

Blue cube things are Poke Pitstops.

When you get close to one click on it, and then spin the landmark circle around.

It gives you items.

nikos

How are the servers still fucked? I've been trying to recover my username/password for hours.

Can I link my Pokemon account after starting with a Google account?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well shit, that was pretty cool. 12 mile bike ride, got to level 4, scoped out my area. Got some pokes. Including the magikarp which will one day be the glorious Gyarados of the Sawgrass.

I live like 20 feet from a sports stadium that has two pokestops at its entrance, and I do a route on my bike through that parking lot multiple times a week. The pokestops seem to only have a 10 minute cooldown so if there are convenient ones you know you can always visit, pretty sweet.

I also love about 100 feet from a gigantic mall, which looks like a gold mine. There are a few unclaimed gyms around, but my local movie theater has already been taken by some jerk and his pidgeot. I AM GUNNING FOR YOU, ASSHOLE.
Ga806r3.jpg

Powered up my squirtle a bit too and got all the typical scrublands critters.

Looks like it's finally out for real on the play store? Happy hunting everybody.

Dart

Make sure you put some instructions in with it.

When the leaves poof up in the air, is that a Pokemon out of range?

How far of the distance are the paws? I know theres 1-3 paws

Well, on my search for Haunter the distance between 3 paws and actually finding the Pokemon was approximately 1 city block (here being around 350 feet)

MGrant

Has anyone had any luck finding pokespots / Pokemon in Asia (excluding Japan)?

Nope, Taiwan here. It was working yesterday for a little while, then they turned them off. Very strange. I hope they come back soon; I've got two stops right next to each other down the street.

MajorMane

Went to the city campus with a few friends and walked around catching pokemon and doing pokespots. That was really fun and dammit, I actually got some exercise. (Secret plot by Nintendo incoming.)

When catching a Pokemon, are you supposed to throw the ball when the inner circle (green, yellow) is smaller? Seemed to catch pokemon better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is definitely very little explained and the UI doesn't help you out often.

At pokestops (blue cube) you flick the circular icon to spin it and get some items. They can be visited once every ~10 minutes.

To catch a Pokémon you're trying to directly hit it with the ball. Use a finger other than your thumb. The smaller the green circle is when you make the catch, the more XP you get, but I think that's all it affects.

Every catch ATTEMPT (toss) costs a pokeball.You can get lots from pokestops though, sometimes 5 at a time.

Rustling grass is a chance for a spawn of one of the Pokémon on your "nearby" screen. They aren't guaranteed to spawn anything at any given time, but I believe you can go back and check them as often as you want (seems like duplicates will be valuable).

On the nearby screen, the fewer paw prints you see under that poke, the closer you physically are to finding that one.

Kyzon

It's fucking 8:30 pm and I've rollerbladed to the hood by accident. I've lost control of my life. Just got Arbok tho.

Makeda

Nope, Taiwan here. It was working yesterday for a little while, then they turned them off. Very strange. I hope they come back soon; I've got two stops right next to each other down the street.

Ahh fair enough that could explain why when I started the game at my office yesterday I had the choice of two Pokemon, but a few hours later when I booted it back up I couldn't find a single thing (based in HK) I need ma Pokemans dammit!

Laieon

Korea here, exact same problem.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
80% of the Pokestops near me seem to churches.

This is common to Ingress, GO's predecessor. Early in Ingress, a lot of Portals (as the landmarks are called in it) were autogenerated locations of certain things, namely post offices, fire stations, police stations, churches, etc. Later they started adding more landmarks and let the player for a time suggest new ones themselves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I cannot possibly see this game having legs.
*shrug* It's not really "like that." This isn't exactly a gamer's game, so to speak. Granted it will be very interesting to see if they have any post launch plans to make it into something more than it's currently aiming for.
It's fucking 8:30 pm and I've rollerbladed to the hood by accident. I've lost control of my life. Just got Arbok tho.
A+ priorities

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is common to Ingress, GO's predecessor. Early in Ingress, a lot of Portals (as the landmarks are called in it) were autogenerated locations of certain things, namely post offices, fire stations, police stations, churches, etc. Later they started adding more landmarks and let the player for a time suggest new ones themselves.
Actually, you'll find that many of the Pokestops/gyms are quite literally the Ingress landmarks (including player submitted ones) ported over. In fact, one could argue that Ingress was a bit of a content aggregation experiment to use for future projects with wider appeal, like this one.

RockmanBN

Oh you live in the south, too?
Nebraska, so I guess that's the center? Though I live in a pretty suburban area.

Sucks that I don't live near anything more interesting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So what's the point of going to a Pokestop? I went to a few but nothing happened.
You spin the circular icon when you're there, and it will pop out some items. Sorry you wasted the trips :( It doesn't communicate it well. What you get seems to be tied to your level and other factors, so early on it's just pokeballs.

Hylian7

I'm 90% sure a gym near me was on a strip club.

Also, I haven't really followed this game, is there anything else to it right now other than catching Pokemon? Can you battle other people you run into? I know you can't battle wild Pokemon (or at least I don't know how to).

Cherubae

So many articles talk about the gym mechanics but never really explain them. Do you lose the Pokemon after depositing it to the gym? Can you get it back? Will I keep getting rewards for it even if I'm nowhere near the gym?

You can get it back once a rival team battles the gym enough to bump it out. Until then, it stays in the gym to defend it. Your defender score is located on the shield icon inside the shop. You can tap on the defender score once a day or so and be rewarded with in-game coins and dust, and you don't need to be anywhere near your gyms to receive it.

nikos

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to sign into a pokemon.com account after starting with a Google account?

Reszo

Just downloaded it and it's 12am so guess I have to wait till tomorrow. My dog is going to get a good looooong walk lol.

What pokemon are near you guys?

Rattata, Pidgey, Weedle, Bellsprout, and Paras is all that's near me lol. Kinda lame but whatevs lol

Top Bottom