• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known...

ljZl4aK.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Game crashes with an "onboard_avatar_already_set" error message every time I exit the character creation screen. Uninstalling and reinstalling do nothing. Trying to run the game on a Galaxy Tab 4 with Android 4.4.2. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hachitora

So what exactly is up with the leaves that rustle on the map? I assumed they were pokemon but walking right on top of them doesn't do anything. Sorry if this was asked already

thedan001

Just learned an efficient way of catching Pokemon in this game while stockpiling pokeballs in the meantime

Find a location (if any) that has 3-5 pokestops in a vicinity that you don't need to walk around much (if any at all) then put lure modules on all of them and chill out for a hour

Loads of Pokemon kept popping up, especially uncommon and rare Pokemon. I found a hitmonchan, pikachu and a jynx and they weren't on the "nearby chart"

Just helping out other fellow trainers

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Looks like the game worked when America was commuting. But now that America is home and trying to log in it's dead.

gardfish

Really can't wait until they start adding in later generations. I'm already getting sick of seeing the same few common Pokemon all the time, I'd like to see some more variety.

Red

Just learned an efficient way of catching Pokemon in this game while stockpiling pokeballs in the meantime

Find a location (if any) that has 3-5 pokestops in a vicinity that you don't need to walk around much (if any at all) then put lure modules on all of them and chill out for a hour

Loads of Pokemon kept popping up, especially uncommon and rare Pokemon. I found a hitmonchan, pikachu and a jynx and they weren't on the "nearby chart"

How do you find lure modules?

Sephend

I'm in Japan right now, and I assume the map data or whatever this uses to generate pokemon and gyms and whatnot doesn't exist here. I'm in a populated city, and I was able to get a starter....and then nothing. Nothing anywhere else on the map at all.

Durden77

So when I have multiples of pokemon, I'm guessing I should be transferring the lower CP ones right?

Also should I be trying to power up my pokemon before evolving? Or just go straight for evolving?

So when I have multiples of pokemon, I'm guessing I should be transferring the lower CP ones right?

Also should I be trying to power up my pokemon before evolving? Or just go straight for evolving?
Some lower CP Pokemon have better moves, it's up to you.

Looks like the game worked when America was commuting. But now that America is home and trying to log in it's dead.
It wasn't working for hours when America was at work, but now that America is home and not walking around its working.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have a park down my street that has 9 pokecenters and 2 gyms. The park is maybe 0.5 acre so you can stand in the middle and reach almost everything.

Do LURE modules attract rarer or more frequent Pokemon than eggs?

I usually get 5 pokemon from an egg but last time it was like 4 ratata and a pidgey

Red

Some lower CP Pokemon have better moves, it's up to you.

It wasn't working for hours when America was at work, but now that America is home and not walking around its working.
How much of an impact does CP make? I've been transferring my lower CP/better moveset Pokémon on the assumption that CP is more valuable, but I really have no idea.
Do LURE modules attract rarer or more frequent Pokemon than eggs?

I usually get 5 pokemon from an egg but last time it was like 4 ratata and a pidgey
I don't understand. What eggs attract Pokémon?

It's crazy how many people are playing this. My girlfriend and I have run into multiple groups of people playing it and are discussing strategies with a couple at a restaurant right now.

Growlie19

My evening stroll was a moderate success. I got two new catches and a new evolution, being Nidoran Male, Gastly, and Jolteon (who is now my strongest fighter). I bolstered a nearby gym and found out I now have an underling, who uses a Drowzee. I got a brief peek at the other half of town, and it looks like complete Instinct domination here. Where's the competition, people? Got another 5K egg, and the other one I have is about 70% hatched. And as a sweet finisher, I found a fellow player who was looking for a nearby Raticate. I just caught one, so I pointed out the location to him. Woohoo!

My evening stroll was a moderate success. I got two new catches and a new evolution, being Nidoran Male, Gastly, and Jolteon (who is now my strongest fighter). I bolstered a nearby gym and found out I now have an underling, who uses a Drowzee. I got a brief peek at the other half of town, and it looks like complete Instinct domination here. Where's the competition, people? Got another 5K egg, and the other one I have is about 70% hatched. And as a sweet finisher, I found a fellow player who was looking for a nearby Raticate. I just caught one, so I pointed out the location to him. Woohoo!

Bro I think once that Raticate was caught, it was caught for good

Really can't wait until they start adding in later generations. I'm already getting sick of seeing the same few common Pokemon all the time, I'd like to see some more variety.
Same. It would really help out people that can only find common grass or bug types and what not. If we had all generations we could have over 10 early bug types alone instead of 2.

Iceman829

So do you need to be in battle in order to use potions or something? I was in some gym battles earlier and can't figure out how to restore their hp.

Coolest pokemon I captured thus far has been Hitmonchan.

Current Unicorn appears to be a Wartortle hidden in the park near me. I tried to track it down by walking all around after working out, but I just couldn't find it. I have a feeling it's stuck behind this fence of the park that you can't access or down along the beach. I'll investigate more this weekend if the spawn zones don't change.

I noticed I couldn't find any pokemon near my house over 50cp even though I am lvl 6 or 7 now. At work I found a higher volume of pokemon and they were much higher cp.

sgjackson

Spent today running into town when the servers worked - snagged 4 of the six gyms I could find. The last two are owned by a blue scrub who stuck a CP23 Charmander and a CP73 Eevee on them, I went to capture one but got hit by the 1hp bug. :(

Does anybody know how exactly leveling and evolving works? Basic experimentation has me thinking the amount of dust you spend is based on how filled the half-circle at the top is, but if anyone's figured out how it works exactly (and whether it's more efficient to evolve right away or not) that would be sweet. Apologies if this has already been answered, only skimmed the last page or two.

SoulUnison

Banned
I really want to play this, and I thought my city would be decent sized enough, but all the PokeStops within a few miles of me are in weird places that you can't just wander into to play a cell phone game (military armory, hospitals...) and I'm not going to drive crosstown to poke a few points on a virtual map...

I wish there was some way to suggest local landmarks. There's a shopping center and a few parks within walking distance but there's "nothing" in them.

I guess Gyms don't have the range requirement Stops do, as long as you can see them on your map? I'm only Level 4, so I can't be sure.

I'm taking an opposite approach where I'm refusing to catch Pokemon in towns now unless I'm in a nature area.I just think it's stupid that I woke up this morning to 5 pokemon in my bedroom, but that I can go on a hike for hours and only see 3 pokemon.

Is the only thing that matters with moves power?

How much of an impact does CP make? I've been transferring my lower CP/better moveset Pokémon on the assumption that CP is more valuable, but I really have no idea.

I don't understand. What eggs attract Pokémon?

I have no idea on either of these points. I think CP might increase the power of moves? No clue though.

Move powerful specials tend to take longer to charge though, and you also have to consider type effectiveness.

I really want to play this, and I thought my city would be decent sized enough, but all the PokeStops within a few miles of me are in weird places that you can't just wander into to play a cell phone game (military armory, hospitals...) and I'm not going to drive crosstown to poke a few points on a virtual map...

I wish there was some way to suggest local landmarks. There's a shopping center and a few parks within walking distance but there's "nothing" in them.

I guess Gyms don't have the range requirement Stops do, as long as you can see them on your map? I'm only Level 4, so I can't be sure.
They have a range requirement.

I'm taking an opposite approach where I'm refusing to catch Pokemon in towns now unless I'm in a nature area.I just think it's stupid that I woke up this morning to 5 pokemon in my bedroom, but that I can go on a hike for hours and only see 3 pokemon.
Don't get too close to that Lickitung in your room after what he did to Cloyster

JC Lately

Those that use battery saver:
Have you ever had an issue where battery saver is on, screen is dark, then you pull it up and everything looks right but you can't tap the screen?

Just had this happen to me. But I was suddenly logged out just after, so it might just be (yet another) server issue.

Hachitora

Should be Pokémon there but there are problems right now.
I see

Man, this game, once it gets all its problems worked out, could be really fun. It already makes me want to explore around my entire city, lol. Already went around for about 3 hours catching pokemon and getting pokestops.

Also, I find it weird that some neighborhoods have pokestops at their marquees but others don't. The neighborhood next to mine has one, but my own doesn't :/

Acerac

Banned
Spent 20 balls on a pikachu only to have him keep breaking out and eventually escape. Yes I was waiting for the circle to shrink on him.

How fucking fun. -_-

norm9

Wonky servers and gps problems had me in the middle of the ocean. Maybe it'll work tomorrow when I have the day off and I can go on a walk.

Top Bottom