• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go: unprecedented retention, 2x the average ARPDAU, higher than Candy Crush

Briarios

Lol people are acting like we haven't already been told about the content that is coming ... plus you have all the following generations to add in -- there is a ton they can add to keep people interested. But, they have to complete the launch first and get the damn servers stable.

I know this is pretty big, but I think people are hyping this up beyond what it is. Giving us these stats months later? Fine. A week later? Really?

I would normally advocate the wait and see, but this is still notable. Outright out of the gate top grossing app for a week just doesn't happen often. Being number 1 in multiple countries in the span of a day doesn't happen often. It's noteworthy.

SalvaPot

I mean let's be reasonable for a second.

The juggernauts of mobile games had to prove multiple things:

1. Downloads
2. Retention
3. Longetivity

While Pokemon Go has definitely seen both 1 and 2 happen in spectacular faction, we really have no idea how long this will last. If all of a sudden the fad dies and the numbers just absolutely bottom out, rather than go down a slow decline.

Making $6 million+ a day is impressive, but the question is can they sustain that? So every article that comes out singing the praises of how this app is a cultural revolution, some people are going to be hesitant to believe that only after a week.

But even if Pokemon Go is deleted by Niantic by tomorrow morning and the servers no longer work, it would still be rightfully so be called a phenomenon because of how quickly it catched on and how it made people go out in hoards to catch the little bastards. All the stories, all the hype, the small business and churches taking advantage of it. Some of the things it did and is still doing are unprecedented.

Longevity is just going to be the final test, but the game is already, for all intents and purposes, a HUGE success.

I think people will burn out, since it seems like the PVP/gym part of the game will be mostly inaccessible to people that aren't willing to pump huge amounts of time and money into the game. What's the point of collecting Pokemon if you aren't fighting them?

The sooner they get head-to-head fighting into the game, the better. Because it does seem that unless you live in a very out-of-the-way place, within a few days every gym is going to be dominated by the highest level players and it's going to be impossible for new people to break into it.

Nintendo success + casuals enjoying a game is something not many people are fond of here...remember the Wii/DS era and so called "hardcore" gamer acting like manchilds because of it.

Not really. I think it's incredible that Pokemon has captured the public's imagination in such a big way. It's like being back in the 90's, but it has yet to prove that it has legs both in downloads and user retention. It's been out for a week, and yet people are saying it's all sorts, even going as far as to say this is proof NX will do well.

It defies logic, and it's perfectly okay with people to be cynical. Pokemon Go has yet to prove itself.

georly

I'm more on the "this is too good to be true" side of the fence

we don't live in a world where people care more about pokemon than facebook and twitter lol

Yup. Also the kind of game this is means the novelty wears off after a little bit. It's really up to niantic to deliver updates consistently to keep people from getting tired of it. Let's hope they can do it.

Expecting people to keep taking daily walks, especially after they stop catching new pokemon, is a bit unreasonable. It'll still acquire more users, and it'll still get played for over a year, but I wonder what the plateau of the userbase is. I know I plan on at least checking in casually after a few months (at gas stations, etc). I honestly don't think i'll keep taking daily walks forever, especially when it's all rattatas and pidgeys.

CryptiK

All? It's been a week and I barely have something more than Pidgeys, Rats and Bats. I think I have 20ish Mons in my Pokedex.

Guess my town completely sucks for PoGo.

And will never be.
Yeah man I have others ready to evolve as well to add to me Dex just collecting so I can lucky egg. Level 18 btw.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I know this is pretty big, but I think people are hyping this up beyond what it is. Giving us these stats months later? Fine. A week later? Really?

it's not "pretty big". It's the biggest mobile game ever released beating Candy Crush and Clash of Clans... longevity is meaningless in the context of what's actually being reported. It could drop off in 2 months from now, but that still won't have taken away from it being the biggest mobile game ever released, and likely no game coming anywhere close any time soon.

Too lazy to google, but how does Nintendo make with it?

there are a bunch of players, and they all see money from it.

Nintendo (with both a stake in TPCi and Niantic)
Google (with both a stake in Niantic as well as Play revenue split)
Pokemon Company (staked by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures)
Niantic (staked by google and Nintendo)
Apple (App Store revenue split)

Soupy

Banned
I can't wait for all the Pokemon Go rip off games we are going to start getting from every damn publisher.

For sure! There are going to be so many and possibly from a lot of IPs. I can totally see Disney trying to get into this area.

When Pokemon Go is released completely worldwide, especially China, they are going to bank so hard.

Noobcraft

I could see the game lasting a few more months but once the winter settles in I think many parts of the US will stop playing.

borghe

I could see the game lasting a few more months but once the winter settles in I think many parts of the US will stop playing.

depends on the winter TBH. a mild day/week and I don't see why it would eliminate usage in the deep north. not to mention niantic can specifically do promotions and events to capitalize on slow months.

no you won't have kids biking around 10 miles in Wisconsin.. but the kids still go to McDonalds in the winter. wink wink.

HotHamBoy

Will it hold for months though? I doubt it, unless updates and polishing come quickly.

Does it need to? With over 20 mllion daily active users in the U.S. alone my math puts it at $5 million/day just from America. Meanwhile, global demand is high and European rollouts continue.

They're going to make up for the Wii U gen in a matter of weeks.

Heng

GetFile.aspx
But 2/2 doesn't equal 2...

Interesting article, I would've like to see its retention rate compared to Candy Crush as well. I'm glad the app is very successful, though I didn't enjoy the game.

What I'm more curious to see is if the game has any effect on the 3DS releases later this year. Obviously Pokemon Go is a success on its own, but I wonder if Nintendo's strategy of using mobile products to drive people towards its traditional game projects will actually work.

georly

Does it need to? With over 20 mllion daily active users in the U.S. alone my math puts it at $5 million/day just from America. Meanwhile, global demand is high and European rollouts continue.

They're going to make up for the Wii U gen in a matter of weeks.

It's too early to tell, but people are *going* to start dropping off. Maybe not permanently, but maybe they don't play every day like they are now. I adore the game, I plan on playing for as long as it remains fun, but the loops grows smaller and smaller the more I catch pokemon I already have and don't want. It needs stuff to stay fresh. It definitely has weeks, if not months left in it, but not at this peak. Most the people getting it are getting it to see what all the buzz is about. I doubt most of them will play for longer than a week.

Will it still be HUGE? Absolutely. Will it stay this insanely popular forever? Don't think anything can, to be honest.

What I'm more curious to see is if the game has any effect on the 3DS releases later this year. Obviously Pokemon Go is a success on its own, but I wonder if Nintendo's strategy of using mobile products to drive people towards its traditional game projects will actually work.

This game is basically a 'best case scenario' for 'can a mobile game sell a dedicated hardware game?' If they advertise for sun/moon within the game on top of this just raising brand awareness, then I can see sun/moon surpassing X/Y by a fair bit.

Not really. I think it's incredible that Pokemon has captured the public's imagination in such a big way. It's like being back in the 90's, but it has yet to prove that it has legs both in downloads and user retention. It's been out for a week, and yet people are saying it's all sorts, even going as far as to say this is proof NX will do well.

It defies logic, and it's perfectly okay with people to be cynical. Pokemon Go has yet to prove itself.

It's already proven itself.

Nothing else comes close to this. Other publishers would murder to have this type of popularity and publicity even for a week.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
Not super surprising. It appeals to the nostalgia of the masses and has a major social component outside of the game itself which is fueling the flames.

Shiggy

Isn't Candy Crush way past its prime? It was big 3.5 years ago, now I see nobody talk about it anymore. Everybody was playing it in the MTR and bus back then, but nowadays?

It's gonna be more interesting how Pokemon Go will retain users over months.

It's gonna be more interesting how Pokemon Go will retain users over months.

All depends on the type of content updates they put out. Considering there are over, what, 740+ pokemon right now, with only 151 out in this version, they have a nice long stream of new 'mons to release.

Hopefully they eventually add in player battles, trading, shiny pokemon and so forth. That will keep people playing.

Neiteio

Ways to keep it going:

Add trading for more social engagement (already planned). Add pvp battling, as well. Award EXP and items for both (balls, potions, revives, etc).

Create buzz with "legendary raids" requiring teamwork at the same place and time (like the bit in the live-action trailer where everyone fights Mewtwo at NYC Times Square).

Phase in more Pokemon: Keep the original 150 constant, but rotate in subsequent gens alongside them, in seasonal waves. Example: The month of August = Gen 1 + Gen 2. The month of September = Gen 1 + Gen 3. The month of October = Gen 1 + Gen 4. And so on.

More Pokemon = more variety, less duplicates. To balance for less duplicates, lower the cost of evolution (less candies and stardust), and increase number of candies received for catching and transferring Pokemon.

Add shiny Pokemon for more social media buzz when people post their rare finds. Add gender differences for yet more variety.

Pokemon Amie: Pet and feed Pokemon to build affection and bond, which lowers the cost of powering up and evolving.

Add Facebook, Twitter and Instagram integration, in app, so people can post screenshots directly to social media.

...there are all kinds of ways they can maintain interest. :)

Just speaking for myself, this game has been hitting my nostalgia buttons so hard, I decided to go ahead and preorder Moon. The last Pokemon game I played before this was Pearl.

I think it would be a cool idea if they had seasonal/time changes as well into the mix as well. Forget the one type off-hand, the one deer-type. Have different colors depending on the seasons. Adds in another level of depth to collecting.

If they do weekly events or maybe every two week events for a group of people to come together to catch a legendary Pokemon would help keep the game going. They have to create events for people to go to

Just in: Cooked pizza is still hot after 5 minutes out of the oven.

This made no sense.

Neiteio

We need a Pokemon Go line of amiibo that increase your odds of finding certain Pokemon for like 30 minutes each day.

He's saying Pokemon GO is hot because it's fresh. He's suggesting the "pizza" will be "cold" in the near future.

Who knows. Personally, I think GO will last significantly longer than most think.
Still makes no sense. Then why isn't every single mobile game doing this? Why didn't all the other Pokemon mobile games do this? This is unprecedented for this time span regardless. People are trying their hardest to find a way to downplay something so successful that it's impacting the presidential race.

jman2050

So 20 years ago Pokemon redefined handheld gaming and set a new standard of success in that space, and today Pokemon redefines mobile gaming and sets a new standard of success in that space.

something something poetry something it rhymes something.

borghe

He's saying Pokemon GO is hot because it's fresh. He's suggesting the "pizza" will be "cold" in the near future.

Who knows. Personally, I think GO will last significantly longer than most think.

Of course Go won't maintain THIS level of popularity.. NO ONE expected this level.

But based on Ingress, with significantly less popularity and insanely less revenue, Niantic has done an incredible job. Toss in roughly $6M per day revenue.. ($4.2M after Apple/Google cut) and Niantic should have more than adequate funding to iron those servers out and get new content to us.

They've gone on record saying their goal is content updates every two weeks or so.

Still makes no sense. Then why isn't every single mobile game doing this? Why didn't all the other Pokemon mobile games do this? This is unprecedented for this time span regardless. People are trying their hardest to find a way to downplay something so successful that it's impacting the presidential race.

this is exactly what I said a few posts up. Whether this level of success maintains or not, in no way whatsoever does that take away from what the game has managed to do. It has blown up exponentially larger than almost every other mobile title, and has STILL outpaced the few other games that had previously managed to blow up exponentially larger than almost every other title.

It's like saying the Wii wasn't very impressive because it died off three years before 360 and PS3 did. Even though it still managed during those 4 years to end the generation as the leader.

Even if Pokemon Go fades next month, no other game will come even close to these levels of success any time soon.

It's already proven itself.

Nothing else comes close to this. Other publishers would murder to have this type of popularity and publicity even for a week.

This is a silly argument. What good is this popularity now to Nintendo if the game isn't this popular 1-2 months from now? Not learning how to keep customers engaged is how you go from Wii to Wii U.

As I said, this initial popularity is just incredible, unprecedented, but the real test is if it's still capturing hearts and minds and making boat loads of cash months, years from now. Unless you honestly think Nintendo would be happy with a couple of weeks of intense popularity then a sharp drop off into nothingness.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Come on... it's been out for like a week? All of these articles. It's a cultural phenomenon. It's going to take a lot lot more than it has now to maintain a healthy position. It's actually getting ridiculous how much people are writing about this. (Not Gaffers, but business journals, finance etc.)

why is it ridiculous?
these people are in the business of making money. This App is the hottest thing in money-making right now. "lets see how high we can take this" is a legitimate way to make money off of a wave (investments, clicks, tune-it, whatever your model is).

borghe

This is a silly argument. What good is this popularity now to Nintendo if the game isn't this popular 1-2 months from now? Not learning how to keep customers engaged is how you go from Wii to Wii U.
except... the popularity and name of Nintendo through the Wii era.. and DS era... is what lead to this to begin with.

Brand recognition and brand engagement isn't a 6-12 month sprint. Companies that think that way rarely even finish. A hit this summer, and a followup next year (Zelda, Pokemon, etc) is how you keep your name held high. Not continually selling the same game for the next 2 years. Those days are LONG over with. Tails like GTA V are... well, they don't exist except for GTA V.

This hitting for even just 3 months (the summer) is enough to say "it succeeded" for Nintendo. In the world of consoles a game staying in the top 10 for three months essentially puts it in the top 10ish of the year usually.. maybe even the top 20ish of the cycle. I don't see why mobile would be any different.

eyesradar

All? It's been a week and I barely have something more than Pidgeys, Rats and Bats. I think I have 20ish Mons in my Pokedex.

Guess my town completely sucks for PoGo.

And will never be.

Ingress is offcially available in the Chinese AppStore. Just had the first official event/quest day in China too. So is Pokemon Shuffle.

Nintendo has already submitted PoGo trademark application in China as well.

We'll see.

Cuburt

But guys, it's too early!

Who cares if it breaks records and has become a cultural phenomenon?

What about five years from now?? Will it still be number 1 then? I don't think so!

Top Bottom