• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Moon and Sun leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Ehh true enough I suppose.

on a slightly relevant note, my #TeamSun choice is vindicated because one of my favorite Rider represents the Sun

10110-48100-thickbox.jpg

So would Moon be Shadowmoon then?

I need to see what the differences are before making a decision.

That would be really fantastic.

Both Mario and Zelda had to drastically change their gameplay in order to work with their new, fully controllable cameras, that's why the games changed up so much. "2D Zelda" is 3D these days, right, but there's such a difference between ALBW and Wind Waker because their cameras force them to play differently, especially when it comes to combat.

But Pokemon is a turn-based RPG which launches you into a seperate screen for battles. You could give Pokemon a Mario 64 camera but it'd have no reason to change. It'd play just like, well, Pokemon X except with a rotational camera.

How important the battles are varies wildly from person to person though.

I'd be thrilled if the games went full 3D and had much larger environments, more puzzles, legendary Pokemon hidden in crafty places, and just a general sense of exploration and wonder.

doofy102

How important the battles are varies wildly from person to person though.

I'd be thrilled if the games went full 3D and had much larger environments, more puzzles, legendary Pokemon hidden in crafty places, and just a general sense of exploration and wonder.

Yeah, that'd be neat, but it wouldn't be a change comparable to Mario World > Mario 64 is what I'm saying. The games would still be the same.

Hopefully GameFreak will figure out how to push more out of the 3DS so we can get something like this, but I don't have much hope lol. It'd be amazing if Moon was a New 3DS exclusive and it looked like Xenoblade.

Yeah, that'd be neat, but it wouldn't be a change comparable to Mario World > Mario 64 is what I'm saying. The games would still be the same.

Hopefully GameFreak will figure out how to push more out of the 3DS so we can get something like this, but I don't have much hope lol. It'd be amazing if Moon was a New 3DS exclusive and it looked like Xenoblade.

I can't see them giving up the old 3DS install base. Optional N3DS enhancements could happen though.

Seiniyta

My bet it's a 7th gen game like Pokemon Gold & Silver.

New Pokemon in a new region linked with Kalos.
You'll go back to Kalos by train (arriving in Couriway Town which has a train station)

What I hope will happen (probably not):

The events that unfolded in X&Y caused something to awaken in the Sundial and moondial from Kalos and the new region respectivily, changing Kalos as we know it pernamently. Blocking off roads whilst opening new paths.

The natural event unearts more mega stones and ancient slumbering pokemon thought to be exctint for millions of years (more fossil pokemon)
As a nod to the 20th aniversary, Pokemon Team rocket returns, being intrigued by some of the rare and valuable pokemons. Especially the new legendaries that emerged from the sun and moon dials.

Forkball

So I've ranked the possibilities:

Gen 6.5 (XY2) for 3DS
Gen VII for 3DS
Mobile spin offs
Gen VII for NX
Daily planner app
Pokemon Shuffle expansion

So I've ranked the possibilities:

Gen 6.5 (XY2) for 3DS
Gen VII for 3DS
Mobile spin offs
Gen VII for NX
Daily planner app
Pokemon Shuffle expansion

I'd be really pissed if it's a 6.5 or on 3DS. I think 3DS is likely and I wouldn't mind TOO much, but I'd rather have it on NX
But if it's two "third" versions it's gonna be a huge letdown

ASIS

Well, yeah.

Look at basically any series that went from 2D to 3D, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Zelda etc.

In the sprite based 2D games, you could for instance, stand in the middle of a town and see pretty much the whole thing in the overhead view, but when transitioning to 3D, suddenly everything becomes a whole lot bigger and more elaborate.

Pokemon is still using the design choices of the sprite based games. It's using 3D models, but it isn't using 3D game design.

Look at it this way: in XY you stand in a town and every building faces the same direction so you can see the front door from the way the camera is positioned.
the term you are looking for is "fully controllable camera", because XY utilized 3D space really well for an RPG.

AniHawk

You think they are going to mention the next system in any way in the direct?

no. i think they'll make it out as though it's a 3ds game like they're making zelda wii u to be a wii u game, but when they announce nx they'll bring up this game and zelda wii u as enhanced ports.

What if...it is set in Johto? I just feel **-Oh and Lugia fit the Sun/Moon stuff better than Xerneas and the other one. Plus having to sacrifice 4 restricted legendaries to make Perfect Cell Zygarde.
I don't want to see a Gen VI version of Johto

Okay, I guess today's Direct will be a formal announcement for the upcoming life-size Snorlax. Not too bad I guess.

pSVDSDw.jpg
Does it weigh 460kg?

Imagine if that thing breaks free in transit though. The route would be blocked until the radio plays the Pokéflute tune
this makes Johto feel so dated they would just use the mp3 on their phone these days

Seiniyta

Not gonna lie, despite myself I want it be set in Kanto. Or have kanto in some form. i just wanna see kanto again.

We only saw Kanto in Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, LeafGreen/FireRed and Heartgold/Soulsilver

Unless it's a complete reimagining of Kanto where you run around like the colloseum games I don't see it happening :p

Kanto is decent but I don't know why people get attached to it, there's nothing crazy about it
Gen 1 is iconic for its pokémons, not the region

Seiniyta

Kanto is decent but I don't know why people get attached to it, there's nothing crazy about it
Gen 1 is iconic for its pokémons, not the region

I think Kanto is still the most iconic of the regions and where people remember the names of the cities the most. I can on the top of my head recall all the names of the cities and their locations. But for later generations it becomes a lot harder for me.

What if...it is set in Johto? I just feel **-Oh and Lugia fit the Sun/Moon stuff better than Xerneas and the other one. Plus having to sacrifice 4 restricted legendaries to make Perfect Cell Zygarde.
I don't want to see a Gen VI version of Johto

Does it weigh 460kg?

Imagine if that thing breaks free in transit though. The route would be blocked until the radio plays the Pokéflute tune
this makes Johto feel so dated they would just use the mp3 on their phone these days

I remember how cool and futuristic the Pokegear seemed back when G/S came out... now everyone has something far more advanced in their pockets. :(

Forkball

I remember how cool and futuristic the Pokegear seemed back when G/S came out... now everyone has something far more advanced in their pockets. :(

Yup. Here's the Pokegear's features in the original GS games:

Watch
Map
Phone
Radio

That's it. However, I am still impressed at DPP's Poketch watch, something that doesn't get a lot of love. It has an insane number of features (perhaps too many)

Watch
Calculator
Memo Pad
Pedometer
Pokemon List
Friendship Checker
Dowsing Machine
Berry Searcher
Day Care Checker
Pokemon History
Counter
ANOTHER WATCH
Map (that you can mark)
Link Searcher
Coin Toss
Move Tester
Calendar
Dot Artist
Roulette
Trainer Counter
Kitchen Timer
Color Changer
Matchup Checker (an app you got from a Nintendo event WTF)
Stopwatch (also Nintendo event exclusive)
Alarm clock (yes... Nintendo event exclusive)

The C-Gear is a huge step down. The PSS also lacks many of the Poketch Watch's features, but it excels with the quality options like wonder trade, instant online communication, o-powers etc.

Forkball

Nostalgia. That's literally it

image.php

Kanto has a lot going for it and has some elements that still stand out today. The game has excellent pacing. It never drags or feels like it's throwing a ton of gyms at you so quickly. Typically between each gym you go to some area of interest, and after the first few gyms the game is quite open. You can tackle several gym leaders in any order you wish. Pokemon games really cut down on the open-world aspect in later gens, especially Gen V where it's extremely linear. The game encouraged backtracking, but never forced it upon you. There were also several areas you could miss completely, like the Power Plant. Kanto had a lot of stuff you just found if you looked hard enough, you weren't forced into a quest. All of the areas were really diverse, yet still managed to fit thematically. It's not like Unova where there's a damn desert filled with ancient ruins right next to a gigantic metropolis.

When the VC games come out tomorrow, I guarantee you a lot of people will fall under two umbrellas.

1) OMG everything is so slow and redundant how did anyone like this?
2) Wow Kanto does things that still haven't been topped!

image.php

Kanto has a lot going for it and has some elements that still stand out today. The game has excellent pacing. It never drags or feels like it's throwing a ton of gyms at you so quickly. Typically between each gym you go to some area of interest, and after the first few gyms the game is quite open. You can tackle several gym leaders in any order you wish. Pokemon games really cut down on the open-world aspect in later gens, especially Gen V where it's extremely linear. The game encouraged backtracking, but never forced it upon you. There were also several areas you could miss completely, like the Power Plant. Kanto had a lot of stuff you just found if you looked hard enough, you weren't forced into a quest. All of the areas were really diverse, yet still managed to fit thematically. It's not like Unova where there's a damn desert filled with ancient ruins right next to a gigantic metropolis.

When the VC games come out tomorrow, I guarantee you a lot of people will fall under two umbrellas.

I think it will be mostly choice 1.

But I agree. GameFreak needs to bring back good world design. They can't keep making straight line world maps. They say it's not to confuse kids, but the older games were the best selling and had the most open maps. It was never a problem for anyone that can read.

Pachimari

When playing Pokémon, how do I know which move is better than the other? For example when it comes to learning a new move and erasing an old one.

MicH

image.php

I don't think Kanto is a bad region, but a lot of its popularity is due to nostalgia or ut being the first game. I like Kanto, but I also extremely tired of Kanto. It has been remade to oblivion in later games. Do we really need a new rendition of Kanto each generation? And in the end Sinnoh is a much bigger and ore varied region - and has a lot if exploration. That's the region to be praising, in my opinion. (And Unova is a terrible region, I'd agree with you on that)

Then again I'm really not a fan of multiregion games. Even HGSS couldn't make Kanto good, and XY and ORAS really didn't feel very feature rich compared to older games. God knows how barebones a multiregion game would be today

Kinsei

Banned
When playing Pokémon, how do I know which move is better than the other? For example when it comes to learning a new move and erasing an old one.

When you select a move to forget it will tell you the power, accuracy, and any secondary effects that move has. This goes for the move you are trying to learn as well.

Power,accuracy,pp,status effect(chance of confusion,burn etc), stab(when a water Pokemon uses a water move) and even sometimes your Pokemons ability all these come into play

L.O.R.D

plot twist
you will meet RED , GOLD and Branden in your way to defeat the villain , but they are all defeated
and it's up to you with your :>new<: power that will surpass mega evolution to defeat the evil.

I'm team Gen 6 all the way but the main problem with that is who the hell is gonna be on the box? Unless they just double up on Zygarde but then he has a green motif which is nowhere to be seen on the logos...

I just don't see Gen 7 as plausible. It would be weird to introduce Zygade Core and his other forms in a next gen game, the same with Ash Greninja, which I can't get my head around being anime exclusive, the concept must be related to the games somewhere, but then why introduce the concept in the Gen 6 anime rather than the Gen 7 one?

All I can think is Sun and Moon being some weird anniversary game that doesn't introduce any new Pokemon (Magearna is a problem though), so would still be part of the sixth generation, but feels off as it is presumably going to not be centred around Kalos.

Only 3 hours to go but this is definitely a curveball. My main gripe is choosing Gen 7 to be on dead hardware. There's no way this is coming to NX - the system hasn't even be revealed yet - but why prolong the life of the 3DS when it's so ancient. Yeah the install base is big but then what's the motivation to move to any new console, especially when the DS wasn't even half as successful as the DS (which could justify two gens) Are we really going to be waiting until 2019 for a next-gem Pokemon game? Fucking Nintendo.

Kyzer

Banned
How is the 3ds ancient or dead hardware? The successor isn't even announced yet. And it will take a good two years for Nx to come into its own.

mStudios

My expectations:

-New Pokemons
-Sun/Moon on NX
-Release date on summer
-Battle Hud as a MMO where you can meet and chat with others (100 max per lobby)
-Brand new region, as well as Kalos region.
-Blaziken buffed
-Dragons buffed
-20 years anniversary of pokemon

I think I'm good so far.

Kyzer

Banned
I hope they've been secretly working on entralink alll this time. A fully fleshed coop centric mode would be amazing

Keyouta

I wouldn't mind a Sun and Moon Gen 7 that has story intertwined with Kalos because of all the new region teases in X and Y. Or Gen 6.5.
I'm excited and hoping for new Pokemon.
I still want a mainline game on NX next year since this is 99% 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom