• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT2| Would you like to leave a tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Banned
Smogon generally resists banning combinations (The only major incident I remember of this is Garchomp with sand veil. And Lati@s with Soul dew, but no other pokemon can take advantage of that item.)

The thing is even if sleep lasts more than 1 turn it's a free setup turn and that mildly dangerous Darkrai or Breloom can be turned into a monster with Nasty plot/swords dance. If sleep clause isn't in place your opponent won't be able to switch to another pokemon because the sleep user can put them down too.

Yeah and people tend to forget that the Sleep Clause "nonsense" actually originated from Pokemon Stadium and is persistent throughout the rest of the console Pokemon games, just none of the mainline ones.

Now I remember why I gave up breeding Eevee. >_> 12.5% female rate is completely dumb! And because I can't switch out this lame 2 IV mom, I'll never get any good IV kids!!

tumblr_lqx8zxSSEG1qbplir.gif

Busaiku

Is a max IV in Speed for Carbink detrimental at all?

It's beneficial since Gyro Ball won't be much different anyways, and it outspeeds stuff like Ferrothorn, so you can set up at least 2 things before it goes down.
The thing is even if sleep lasts more than 1 turn it's a free setup turn and that mildly dangerous Darkrai or Breloom can be turned into a monster with Nasty plot/swords dance. If sleep clause isn't in place your opponent won't be able to switch to another pokemon because the sleep user can put them down too.
Darkrai only has Hypnosis, so it's not gonna be putting many things to sleep anyways.
Breloom is checked by so many things now that getting it to even do anything will be incredibly difficult.
Even after, stuff like Talonflame or Aegislash (which are extremely popular) absolutely shut it down, even when asleep.

Reading about that IV crap. My brain hurts, but I finally figure out how it works. Wish I known that before spending an entire die trying get a perfect Bisharp.

hemtae

Got a magic guard Alakazam, anticipation Eevee, and Protean Froakie from wonder trading my latest batch of breeding rejects. Today has been a good day.

So I've got this wonderful Calm Serene Grace Togetic here, but I need some advice before I evolve it.

Should I stick with a moveset of Air Slash/Roost/ThunderWave/Flamethrower or try something a little more unconventional? It can't relearn moves like AncientPower and Wish once it evolves, so I want to be sure. Also, what should I name him (my competitive Togekiss in Gen V was named Kin)?

Caladrius

Darkrai only has Hypnosis, so it's not gonna be putting many things to sleep anyways.
Breloom is checked by so many things now that getting it to even do anything will be incredibly difficult.
Even after, stuff like Talonflame or Aegislash (which are extremely popular) absolutely shut it down, even when asleep.

You forgot about that little move called Dark Void, which in multi-battles hits all adjacent opponents on the field and has 80% accuracy, which can be boosted by baton pass or a held item if need be.

Breloom falls to other priority users (which absolutely no player worth their salt is going to pit it against), but all it takes is a spore on any other pokemon that can't KO it for it to start causing serious problems. Without sleep clause there are only a few pokemon that can safely switch in on it.

Jintor

Caught this shiny motherfucker on my way home from my last day of uni ever (hopefully) today!

Shiny_Snover_PA_by_Dino_K.png

First one I'd ever seen, too

Dark Void is banned at VGC, so it's really just Breloom.

I think Talonflame can check Breloom anyway, at least in theory.

Caladrius

Dark Void is banned at VGC, so it's really just Breloom.

I think Talonflame can check Breloom anyway, at least in theory.

I was referring to the in-game free battle mode (most commonly used for battle spot.)

Correct. If Talonflame can get in at the same time or before Breloom the poor mushroom's a goner even with choice scarf due to Flame's priority flying moves. If Talonflame is switched in it can either be put to sleep or KO'd by rock tomb

Neiteio

BUMP:

ATTENTION BUTT JESTERS:

xQd2qpM.jpg

The following Bold Sturdy Carbinks trades (each with at least two perfect IVs) have been completed:

1) Charlie0108
2) DedValve
3) ohlawd
4) Mother Green
5) spindashing
6) MicH
7) AmICoolYet
8) Otakemegane
9) Unicorn
10) ED Cantu
11) Strigiday
12) Replica
13) haunted_taco
14) NEO0MJ
15) QP3
16) Smedwicks
17) Ralts42
18) Natiko
19) fek
20) SeZMehK
21) SkullHydra
22) C. Qwark
23) BraXzy
24) Kiri
25) EMT0
26) Macklelol
27) Devo
28) TWILT
29) Ultimadrago
30) LunaticHigh
31) CornBurrito
32) Ramyeon

33) XtaLarge
34) Aggrotek
35) Riou
36) B-Dubs
37) PBalfredo

If you're NOT in bold, PM me with your Friend Code and in-game trainer name.

My FC is 3952-7030-5695. My character name is Alizée.

ramyeon

Never wanna breed a genderless again after Carbink haha. Even with a 4IV Carbink and a 3IV Ditto I'm having so much trouble trying to get that last IV to pass over.

Busaiku

Breloom is checked by Talonflame, Aeglislash, Klefki, and a bunch of fast, Fairy hitters this gen, and being completely walled by Clefable.
Breloom is also too fragile to last against so many of the fast Pokemon this gen like Greninja, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Kangaskhan, and so on.

But again, that's specifically Breloom.
Sleep as a whole is severely weakened because a lot of what Breloom has been weakened for anyways, except most can only rely on a far more inaccurate move, and most of them can't even capitalize on it themselves, so you waste a turn by switching out.
Overall, you've got a much weaker effect, only available on Pokemon that are much weaker anyways.

Trickster

Thinking of breeding a 5IV Ferrothorn. Wondering if anyone knows a good build for it as a defensive and entry hazard focused pokemon?

I've caught some Dittos and I will give this breeding stuff at least one shot when I have a chance. But I have a feeling this will be my experience.

That is me with the new breeding method of rejecting eggs and resetting. Thankfully the old fashioned method isn't that bad. Slower, but still so much faster than past gens.

Onwards to more breeding stories!

I has two 5 IV Phantumps. I get either

1. No fucking Harvest Phantumps after breeding despite 60% chance!

2. Harvest Phantumps but NONE with the desired spread of 31/31/31/?/31/31

-_-

3. No Harvest group will NOT have a MALE with 31/31/31?/31/31... so no getting a better father.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thinking of breeding a 5IV Ferrothorn. Wondering if anyone knows a good build for it as a defensive and entry hazard focused pokemon?

You could just go the standard route with it. 252HP/48Def/208SpDef split, with powerwhip and gyroball for when you get taunted. Breed stealth rock on and either leech seed or curse as the final move.

It'd also make a great Azumarill counter (and thus Mega Charizard X partner). You'd force it out and whatever they put in will probably be fast and get clipped by gyroball.

Anyone got any opinions on my Togekiss moveset of Air Slash/TWave/Roost/Flamethrower? I want to be absolutely sure that there aren't any better options before I pull the trigger and evolve my Togetic.

Anyone got any opinions on my Togekiss moveset of Air Slash/TWave/Roost/Flamethrower? I want to be absolutely sure that there aren't any better options before I pull the trigger and evolve my Togetic.

Air/Wave/Roost is pretty much non-negotiable in my opinion. Have you considered Nasty Plot in place of Flamethrower? There's also Aura Sphere instead of Flamethrower since that hits Rock types super effectively.

Air/Wave/Roost is pretty much non-negotiable in my opinion. Have you considered Nasty Plot in place of Flamethrower?

I'm going for more of a defensive build (+Sp. Def, -Attack nature with 252 HP and Sp. Def), so I just figured that Flamethrower would be a good last spot to prevent Steel-types from walling me altogether. Aura Sphere might also be a good choice for that slot in order to crush Rock-types as well, but it doesn't have the power, boosted secondary effect or novelty of Flamethrower ;)

He'd get walled by steel very easily.

Why Flamethrower instead of Aura Sphere?

T-wave + Nasty Plotted Air Slash can deal with some Steel types.

I'm going for more of a defensive build (+Sp. Def, -Attack nature with 252 HP and Sp. Def), so I just figured that Flamethrower would be a good last spot to prevent Steel-types from walling me altogether. Aura Sphere might also be a good choice for that slot in order to crush Rock-types as well, but it doesn't have the power, boosted secondary effect or novelty of Flamethrower ;)

Fair enough.

ramyeon

Does anyone have a 4-5 IV Ditto with HP @ 31 and 3-4 other stats being a combination of anything other than Attack? If so, would I be able to borrow it to breed this Carbink? If necessary I can trade you something valuable as insurance that I'd give it back. I don't think I'll be able to get a 5IV one any time soon with this 4IV and 3IV matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom