• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO player robbed during live stream

Rootbeer

Banned
Hope it is okay for this to be in gaming. I feel this is as much as PSA to all gamers as it is a news event. Be careful and AWARE of your surroundings when playing Pokemon Go or similar games outdoors!

Still blowing up right now

Rickeybot was assaulted and robbed while doing a livestream of Pokemon GO near Central park. He went to the hospital immediately after to get treatment (jaw really messed up), and his channel subsequently became inaccessible from Twitch. Rickeybot has confirmed it's only a 24hr ban resulting from his automated system streaming too long without playing anything after the attack.

video (tip: remember what your mama told you about youtube comments):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6YPVsohzQ

his twitter:
https://twitter.com/rickeybot

his twitch channel:
https://www.twitch.tv/rickeybot

Location of the attack, thanks for your posts, Jawbreaker!
Here's an approximation of where the guy was, by the way. It's usually busy enough that you wouldn't expect this, but here we are.

BgBalcv.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...adf1f82b9f2dc62!8m2!3d40.766029!4d-73.9770582

Reddit thread with a lot of info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/53g17i/rickybot_a_twitch_streamer_got_robbed_playing/

My thoughts go out to Rickeybot!

idonteven

twitch banned the poor guy for being robbed..meanwhile people break the rules all the time but twitch doesnt give a fuck because they make them money

anyway the robbers face is on it so i hope they catch the fucker

Just saw this. I hope they catch that asshole

twitch banned the poor guy for being robbed..meanwhile people break the rules all the time but twitch doesnt give a fuck because they make them money

Is he banned or is his account locked because technically the robber had his twitch gear?

SalvaPot

Getting robed sucks, hopefully he is ok and can recover fast.

Why exactly was his channel pulled? Do twitch fears that the robber can access it through his phone or is it just because of the bad publicity?

Hagi

Wow that is fucked up. Hopefully they catch this ass-hole, bet he he didn't count on beaming his face across the internet while sucker punching and stealing someone's shit.

Just saw this. Yikes. Hope the injury isn't severe and he gets a speedy recovery.

It should go without saying but don't read the youtube comments.

What a real piece of shit. It's a good thing you can clearly see his face. I play Pokemon Go there with my cousin and his girlfriend on the weekends sometimes. There are usually 100+ people in a relatively small space, so it must have been on a weekday.

singhr1

Wow in his back.
That robber is a real tough guy.

Yeah, a robber should definitely have enough honor to meet his victim face to face, tell his victim his name, and expose himself to the cops before beating the shit out of them and stealing their goods

Lazlo

OP better edit the first post to make it clear it's a flashlight on the dudes head cause that seems to be a bigger topic of conversation than the fact some poor guy got mugged.

Dystify

A good reminder to never play this game alone at night. Bring someone with you and stay away from the more lonely spots.

That really depends on where you live... If there was a reason to be too afraid to go out alone in the night in my area I'd probably move.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Rickeybot is going to be okay... Thieves are fucking scum.

Damn, that sucks. Should have had someone with him if he was streaming in public at night like that. Reading and talking to chat while alone in the middle of the night is an easy target for the shitty people in this city.. and there are a LOT of them.
This happened near central park, in case anyone was curious.

Off topic but I'm reminded of a conversation I had a few days ago with some GAFers where they assured me that NYC and its subway was safe these days to walk around with expensive equipment. About that..

hoserx

Illegal is a stretch, but if you see anyone walking around with one of these you have reason to suspect them of being potentially shady. You don't just walk around with that at night in public for no reason.

Nah, I disagree. I don't judge someone based on their inability to deal with the dark.

From Reddit:

He was near the park but not IN the park, on Central Park S, in front of Trump Parc Apartments and across 6th Ave from the Ritz Carlton...a block west from the Plaza Hotel.
The assailant fled on foot into the park, hid in some bushes and disabled the phones at which point the stream stopped.
I was already on the phone with the 22nd precinct in NYC before the phones stopped broadcasting.
Rickey btw is going to be fine. He did hit his head/jaw on the pavement. No concussion. Not sure if his jaw was broken. He has yet to get home. He spent over an hour with police before they took him to the hospital.
And TWITCH God bless them suspended his account 3 hours after the mugging before he'd even left the hospital.

Trup1aya

Is that just a light you strap on to your head? That shits legal to walk around with at night?

It's wierd that we question the legality of a flashlight, when given the assault and robbery- this person doesn't care for law...

Anyway, I hope these headlights are legal, I use them at work when I'm out at night

Illegal is a stretch, but if you see anyone walking around with one of these you have reason to suspect them of being potentially shady. You don't just walk around with that at night in public for no reason.

The reason to carry a flashlight is to help with sight in the dark... They are particularly useful at night.

Im sure this guy exhibited some suspicious behavior, but wearing the flashlight is the least of it.

HMD

I thought Central Park would be like the safest place ever with cameras and guards everywhere, guess I was wrong.

I hope he has a quick recovery, and that the perp is found and thrown in jail promptly.

Anyone who lives in an urban area should never walk around at night alone. All it takes is a few seconds for your life to be potentially turned upside down by an opportunist.

It's wierd that we question the legality of a flashlight, when given the assault and robbery- this person doesn't care for law...
Anyway, I hope these headlights are legal, I use them at work when I'm out at night
The reason to carry a flashlight is to help with sight in the dark... They are particularly useful at night.

Where I live, headlights are actually legally required if you are biking out at night. If I saw someone walking around with a headlight at night, I'd probably have assumed that they just got a flat tire or their bike broke down for whatever reason.

Rootbeer

Banned
YouTube comments should always be avoided.

Yes... standard disclaimers apply. Can we focus on the rickeybot and what happened to him and not the gut reactions of randos with an axe to grind

Not disputing perfectly legitimate uses of a headlamp. It's clear and obvious the various ways they can be useful. But in my experience working night security years ago, they are a popular accessory amongst thieves and scavengers. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if you choose to take issue with that. I disagreed that they should be illegal. Okay, that's the last I have to say on it... it's a line of discussion not furthering anything in this context.

Mistake

Shot in the dark, but maybe twitch suspended it in case the robber somehow got access? I'll wait on that. But damn, that guy got it rough. Good he didn't get a concussion though

Trup1aya

I hope he has a quick recovery, and that the perp is found and thrown in jail promptly.

Anyone who lives in an urban area should never walk around at night alone. All it takes is a few seconds for your life to be potentially turned upside down by an opportunist.

I really don't recommend it an any area. Assaults/robberies/abductions, they happen in rural areas, parks, housing developments, college campuses... Everywhere... People shouldn't be alone at night in places with low visibility...

Nightbird

Yes... standard disclaimers apply. Can we focus on the rickeybot and what happened to him and not the gut reactions of randos with an axe to grind

I'm sorry.

I looked at the comments to see if there was any progress in that case, if someone already sent the image of the culprit to the police or something, and then i saw that.

It made me angry

Dunkley

Yeah, generalization is basically the bread and butter of the internet. You barely need to invest any effort until you find a person like that on any topic.

However yeah, I wanted to say before I feel bad for Rickeybot. Like that hit sure looked like it hurt and I hope his jaw's alright.

Top Bottom