• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO player robbed during live stream

This is a really broad generalisation, there are enough places in the world where, believe it or not, you do not have to worry for your life, not even in urban areas.

Well good for you and anyone else living in those places, but the majority of the world does not have that same privilege.

What people are trying to say is that usually when something like this happens, the last thing people really want to hear is a lecture on how it could have been prevented by the victim

At best it comes off as stating what is painfully obvious to the benefit of no one.(well I guess it benefits you by making you feel smart) At worst it makes you look extremely callous as you lecture someone recovering from something bad happening to them. Especially when they aren't the ones who've done anything wrong legally or morally in the situation.

You got me. I've been caught stroking my ego and feeling really smart. /s

This is a discussion forum, I read a thread about someone doing something I see as stupid and I'm gonna comment on it.

I don't see why me "stating the obvious is callous" But whatever, your opinion is as valid as mine.

I hope the guy learned a very obvious common sense lesson about life at least.

Sucker punching someone on cold hard pavement. That could easily kill someone. All for a fucking phone too.

I hope the fucker gets caught.

nope and it seems i'm real lucky too.
I don't know what the hell police is doing there.
But they need to act up to shits like that robber.

0 tolerance
I mean... check out some of the threads about Baltimore police in OT. Maybe that's more your speed.

novabolt

It seems like the robber was targeting the streamer and was prepared for a "smashNgrab" styled robbery. I hope Ricky pulls through, it sucks having your stuff stolen right in front of you.

Now onto the racial comments. These comments are amazing, until your home is clean you can't go round calling other people's houses out.

Armigr

Or maybe he thought maybe if I wasnt standing around a city at night, alone, staring at my phone live streaming I wouldn't have my jaw smashed and no phone.

This is common sense when living in a big city.

"Don't violently assault people at any time, anywhere" is what ought to be common sense.

sajj316

Refuse to read the comments. Sucks this dude got robbed and I hope the robber gets caught. A lot going on in NYC these days ... sucked to commute in this morning.

Harmen

Man, this is awful, poor kid, I hope he is fine. And I hope they catch the robber.

And jesus fuck, you guys weren't kidding about the comments on both yt and twitter.

Ogawa-san

This is a really broad generalisation, there are enough places in the world where, believe it or not, you do not have to worry for your life, not even in urban areas.
I don't know where you live but I wanna move there.

I choose a new phone based on how bad I'll feel when it's mugged.

Maedhros

Here in Brazil it's common sense to not go out like this if you really don't want to be robbed.

Sucks, but that's how it is. =/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My friend (female, two kids, around age of 30) got assaulted by 5 kids. All whom asked for the phone and purse while she was playing Pokémon late at night on a Friday.

She refused, and they tackled, punched and kicked her in the stomach and on her face, eventually managing to get the phone (she held it to her life). One person held a knife to her throat while two others were holding her hands.

To this day (it's been 2 weeks btw), I'm still asking her how she's feeling. She doesn't seem to be recovering from it, mentally. It's terrible.

Trup1aya

nope and it seems i'm real lucky too.
I don't know what the hell police is doing there.
But they need to act up to shits like that robber.

0 tolerance

I mean... check out some of the threads about Baltimore police in OT. Maybe that's more your speed.

Im from Baltimore, what a shit show.
Zero tolerance = harrassment of law abiding citizens while criminals treat prison like a revolving door.

Police cant prevent every crime. More often then not, they are responding to crimes that have already been committed.

I don't know what the solution is for stopping this particular kind of act. It's NEVER the victims FAULT, But people people need to be aware of how predators choose their prey, and make efforts to avoid being an easy target.

These people are cowards, and act when they feel they wont be obstructed, stopped, or caught.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Horrible accident.
I really feel bad for that officer and the guys wife.
Don't act up near a police. Don't move and do what he says.
The reason we live in a world like this is shits like this robber.
Just imagine how scared that cop was. Prob colleges of him got killed.
I does things to your mind.
I have so much respect for the police.
And this whole tragedy is awful.
Reminds me of this cop that shot a kid with a wii remote.

And please don't use the race card on me.
My gf is indian.

I still believe cops need to act harder.
also american media feeds on negativity.

Revas

Hopefully the thief catches the ass whooping he deserves.

Horrible accident.

My gf is indian.

If you can't police the population without condemning groups within that population you don't need to be a policeman. Blaming victims or the media is like blaming wind for the rain. I'm also glad your Indian gf makes you an expert on race relations.

Rootbeer

Banned
My friend (female, two kids, around age of 30) got assaulted by 5 kids. All whom asked for the phone and purse while she was playing Pokémon late at night on a Friday.

She refused, and they tackled, punched and kicked her in the stomach and on her face, eventually managing to get the phone (she held it to her life). One person held a knife to her throat while two others were holding her hands.

To this day (it's been 2 weeks btw), I'm still asking her how she's feeling. She doesn't seem to be recovering from it, mentally. It's terrible.

Brutal story... all the best to your friend and her children.

Trup1aya

Horrible accident.

My gf is indian.

I love when people say "if you don't do anything wrong, you'll never be harmed by a cop"

As if cops arent people capable of being shits too.

I don't know what your race is, but from your comments, it sounds like your belief that cops should be "harder" is largely influenced by your privilege.

N° 2048

As someone who has been mugged, that shit changed my life. I took up kickboxing, and am always aware of my surroundings.

I always act a little crazy outside. No joke.

Brinbe

Lord, those YT/Reddit comments... smfh. Absolutely horrible situation, I hope they do find that asshole who mugged him but somehow I doubt it.

That being said, I 1000% agree that sadly, it's absolutely necessary to be careful and discreet when wandering around at night, especially by yourself. Regardless of where you are (in the burbs or in the city), if you're alone and no one else is around, you best be on guard for this exact same situation. As seen in the video, he was streaming/playing PGO, calling attention to himself in a super obvious way, and he was not really aware of what was going on around him and he in the end, he got sucker-punched. Like moths to a flame, they'll take advantage of a situation if no one is around and they can snatch and run and it doesn't matter where you are.

And even then, it's a crazy world and you could be with friends in broad daylight and still get held up. I think the broader point is just always be aware when you're out like that. Should never feel 100% safe, be cognizant of your surroundings. That might be a sad indictment of the world, but that's reality.

Horrible accident.

My gf is indian.

What the fuck is this garbage? What the hell does having an Indian GF have to do with anything?? FOH with that.

JamboGT

What does FOH mean, seen it a few times, Fuck Off something? Can't think what the third word is.

On topic, hope they dude gets better soon, been mugged myself with a knife to my throat from behind, took me a year to get back to normal mentally and messed me up physically to this day.

Rellik

Can't believe this thread turned into a "I'm not racist, my XX is XX"

It's a small positive that the scumbags face was caught on twitch and it looks like the anti theft kicked in and took his picture with time and location which gets sent to email. So some nice evidence.

Spukc

This is hysterical.

The other guy instantly linked me to a horrible shooting of a black man in his car next to his girlfriend,
And telling me that was the other logical outcome of 0 tolerance.
And it seemed normal to tell him i am no racist at all.

thanks for your LoL comment tho.

Spukc

I love when people say "if you don't do anything wrong, you'll never be harmed by a cop"

As if cops arent people capable of being shits too.

I don't know what your race is, but from your comments, it sounds like your belief that cops should be "harder" is largely influenced by your privilege.

Agreed they are only human.
But the media has 0 interest in good stories about the police.
Drama sells .
Who the hell cares that an officer worked in an neighbourhood for 10 years and bettered the lives of 40+ kids.

Whompa02

Terrible.

NYC resident here: To be honest I would not recommend walking around that area like that, by yourself, at that time of day...but it's so sad to see this stuff still happening.

I hope the pictures of the guy are enough to get him identified and arrested. Scum of the earth low life thugs...

Obama is in town though so I assume the police are pretty busy handling that. Hopefully they can give a small bit of care for this case.

I'm guessing perhaps family pictures and videp she didn't back up were on the phone?

Only reason I could see for why she held onto it for life.

it's easy on iphone too if you have all the security measures turned off... this was a really big goof on his part. On twitter though he said he was able to lock the phone remotely at least.

My phone was stolen in NYC too, reported the IMEI to the police so atleast it should become a paperweight. Of course probably already sold on craigslist before that to someone for a decent price :/ or hauled to china where the IMEI blacklist doesnt exist.

Trup1aya

Agreed they are only human.
But the media has 0 interest in good stories about the police.
Drama sells .
Who the hell cares that an officer worked in an neighbourhood for 10 years and bettered the lives of 40+ kids.

There are good stories run all the time. Everytime there is an apparent abuse of police powers, the web gets flooded with feel good stories about police handing out gifts and ice cream , or playing with kids in the park. The thing is though, police are hired to do good- that's the baseline expectation. So when they do bad, betray the public trust, and/or systematically harm the people the are sworn to protect, it's particularly news worthly.

Would you feel better if the media ignored the disproportionately abysmal "service" some members of American society have been receiving? that's pretty much how it has been since day one, up until very recently.

But let's not make this event about policing. It wasn't bad policing or cops that aren't "hard" enough... It was an individual predator who took advantage of a vulnerable person.

The best we can do is learn to avoid the specific behaviors that attract predators, and hope that there's enough evidence to lead to this asshole's arrest.

Edit: PS I don't think it right to accuse you of being racist. But the mindset that you seem to have is the exact mind set that allows systematically racist policy like "0 tolerance" to exist. If someone can show you a link to a man being blown away by a cop, and all you can think about is the cops fear, I'd say you totally lack perspective. You don't even question whether that Cop would show have the same fear, had the encounter been with someone who looked differently. You don't question why in his short life time he "was stopped by police 46 times and racked up more than $6,000 in fines. Another curious statistic: Of all of the stops, only six of them were things a police officer would notice from outside a car — things like speeding or having a broken muffler".

So if people of color being targeted by then killed by "fearful" police isn't newsworthy to you, if you think these things can be summed up as "accidents" maybe racist is a strong word- but you're part of the problem.

Pwnedkiller

Neo Member
This being in NYC people are robbed countless times everyday. If the guy gets caught then its by luck. I know his face was captured but from what I saw it did not look like it was a good capture of the mans face enough to ID him. It really sucks but the guy that got robbed just has to learn from this. He was setting himself up that night and should of at least been with someone else and/or in a better area.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I mean, it wasn't exactly Central Park South, 6th Ave at a time where 100+ people congregate to play Pokemon Go in that area on a daily basis.

This is where Kitty Genovese died, for reference:

q8V3Wiv.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...e170722a!8m2!3d40.7104894!4d-73.8294315?hl=en

That sums it up.

I walked home past there a week ago at like 1am and there were still about 100-200 people just standing around playing Pokemon. Didn't feel unsafe because even as I walked away there were still people on the streets, with their phones out playing, walking towards the area.

I don't know where you live but I wanna move there.

I choose a new phone based on how bad I'll feel when it's mugged.
I used to live in Pittsburgh, and I'd feel pretty safe walking around even downtown with my phone out alone. Whereas in York PA, a much much smaller city, I'd be crazy to risk it. It really does depend on the place, but NYC is pretty obviously one of the unsafe places, yeah?

Im from Baltimore, what a shit show.
Zero tolerance = harrassment of law abiding citizens while criminals treat prison like a revolving door.

Police cant prevent every crime. More often then not, they are responding to crimes that have already been committed.

I don't know what the solution is for stopping this particular kind of act. It's NEVER the victims FAULT, But people people need to be aware of how predators choose their prey, and make efforts to avoid being an easy target.

These people are cowards, and act when they feel they wont be obstructed, stopped, or caught.
Mhmm. I mean in a perfect world we wouldn't have stuff like this, but when people are treated like criminals anyway they tend not to care. If you live in one of those areas, it's probably smart to stay safe. Like obviously the mugger didn't seem to care that he was doing a bad thing, people in this thread saying stuff like "well nobody should be mugging me in the first place!" aren't helping.

Blizzard

Banned

That's horrible! Did the police at least catch anyone?

Getting robed sucks, hopefully he is ok and can recover fast.

Why exactly was his channel pulled? Do twitch fears that the robber can access it through his phone or is it just because of the bad publicity?

Probably because the Cops are actively investigating?

Venom Fox

Banned
Feel sorry for the guy and I hope he gets his face sorted and carries on streaming eventually. The thief needs catching quickly and put in jail!

Can't help but wonder why he'd walk around with his phone out at night? Why not live stream during the midday while it's busy? This happens all the time all over the world, people never learn or listen to the advice of the law or people who've experienced this already. Also come on, you have a nice phone and don't have a password or find my phone activated?

Blizzard

Banned
Feel sorry for the guy and I hope he gets his face sorted and carries on streaming eventually. The thief needs catching quickly and put in jail!

Can't help but wonder why he'd walk around with his phone out at night? Why not live stream during the midday while it's busy? This happens all the time all over the world, people never learn or listen to the advice of the law or people who've experienced this already. Also come on, you have a nice phone and don't have a password or find my phone activated?
Walking around parks after night is when tons of people play Pokemon GO in my experience. It'll be even moreso once the time changes and sunset is earlier.

Top Bottom