• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO player robbed during live stream

The reason to carry a flashlight is to help with sight in the dark... They are particularly useful at night.
I have to admit it does seem kinda suspicious, considering Manhattan is very well lit. The only conceivable reason to wear one in that area at that time is if you're walking off the path inside the park (which is also considered suspicious and/or dangerous).

I thought Central Park would be like the safest place ever with cameras and guards everywhere, guess I was wrong.
Not at night.

Here's an approximation of where the guy was, by the way. It's usually busy enough that you wouldn't expect this, but here we are.

BgBalcv.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...adf1f82b9f2dc62!8m2!3d40.766029!4d-73.9770582

I really don't recommend it an any area. Assaults/robberies/abductions, they happen in rural areas, parks, housing developments, college campuses... Everywhere... People shouldn't be alone at night in places with low visibility...

I agree, I live in a fairly quiet suburb, not a huge city, yet I've been stalked and followed home before. It can really happen anywhere.

The chances of this happening in a dense population center are probably even higher though.

Trup1aya

I have to admit it does seem kinda suspicious, considering Manhattan is very well lit. The only conceivable reason to wear one in that area at that time is if you're walking off the path inside the park (which is also considered suspicious and/or dangerous).

Not at night.

What if someone is walking TO the walking path?

If I see someone with a flashlight in a well lit place, I'd first assume that they are going to or leaving from a place that isn't well lit. If the light is on, that's usually an indication that the person is trying to make themselves visible ( like a bike rider).

Simply Wearing a light isn't a reasonable suspicion.

If I had to guess, assaults/robberies are far more often committed by people who aren't using lights.

Oh yikes, scary stuff. I hope they manage to catch the thief.

My friends and I have done a few late night Pokemon GO outings. Thankfully we've yet to run into trouble, and there are always at least a few other players meandering in the area we go to. Still, seeing stuff like this always makes me worried about what could happen in the future.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
That area is still usually packed at that time. Especially after Pokémon go released. Crazy that someone still managed to pull off an assault with that many people around.

What a dispicible coward. Hope this punk is caught. The sad thing is even if caught I doubt he gets what he really deserves and will probably be out doing similar shady stuff soon.

Edit: Not familiar with the streamer but wanted to add my best wishes. Get well soon.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Damn thats extra grimey. He was rocked pretty hard.

This kid us playing Pokemon Go in the city and I'm dreading to go to work in the city with the recent events...

Trup1aya

That really depends on where you live... If there was a reason to be too afraid to go out alone in the night in my area I'd probably move.

many sexual assault and abductions happen in generally low crime areas. Assailants use the comfort people feel in these areas against them.

Stitch

Gold Member
Robber went into the settings and reset the whole phone. I'm sure it wasn't the first phone he stole.

Copenap

Anyone who lives in an urban area should never walk around at night alone. All it takes is a few seconds for your life to be potentially turned upside down by an opportunist.
This is a really broad generalisation, there are enough places in the world where, believe it or not, you do not have to worry for your life, not even in urban areas.

I mean, it wasn't exactly Central Park South, 6th Ave at a time where 100+ people congregate to play Pokemon Go in that area on a daily basis.

This is where Kitty Genovese died, for reference:

q8V3Wiv.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...e170722a!8m2!3d40.7104894!4d-73.8294315?hl=en

No, this is really irresponsible behavior on part of the streamer. Central Park at night? Alone? Maybe he was just visiting the city on vacation or something.

He wasn't in the park, rather on a street outside of it.

Robber went into the settings and reset the whole phone. I'm sure it wasn't the first phone he stole.

Just based on what I saw I seriously doubt this is the first thing like this he has done. The sad thing is even if caught I doubt he does any significant time and will probably get a slap on the wrist and be back to doing shady stuff before very long at all.

Poyunch

Man I hope they catch the assailant but idk it's a huge city and stuff. That's really fucked up, the robber didn't even looked fazed and the victim looked like a really harmless dude. :/

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That is actually a really nice part of the city, at anytime. dude was just really unlucky. that said always keep your head up especially if you look touristy by taking selfies,streaming, etc etc

Yeah he was totally asking for it, kid just needed some street smarts to avoid getting king hit by a thug in a busy area...
Your not making the point you think you are.

If your out at night alone with your phone out you are asking for trouble. Especially since this guy seemingly couldn't defend himself. You definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. Standing around streaming a fucking mobile game is just the thing to keep your attention and allow yourself to have your jaw dusted off from behind.

Your putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. What happened to this guy is exactly what can happen.

Maybe not Street smarts but he definitely needs to reevaluate himself If he's putting himself in a situation to have his jaw tapped and his phone snatched.

I'm sure he learnt his lesson when he woke up the next morning to a very sore jaw.

Jumeira

Banned
Shocked the owner has not enabled security on his phone, to activate reset a pin would normally come up.

Horrible situation but there will always be pricks out there to take advantage, really needs to be said time and time again, forfeit convenience for security, it's better in the long run for you, and will make things difficult for attackers.

Yeah he was totally asking for it, kid just needed some street smarts to avoid getting king hit by a thug in a busy area...

Regardless of the circumstances the streamer is still the victim and nothing excuses the mugger's decision to attack this guy and steal his stuff. With that said there are certain times when people can make better decisions about not placing themselves in a bad situation. Go out have fun but look after yourself as well. Because people like this asshole here don't care who you are. If they see an opportunity they'll take it and you'll be the one to pay for it.

If your out at night alone with your phone out you are asking for trouble. Especially since this guy seemingly couldn't defend himself. You definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. Standing around streaming a fucking mobile game is just the thing to keep your attention and allow yourself to have your jaw dusted off from behind.

Your putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. What happened to this guy is exactly what can happen.

Maybe not Street smarts but he definitely needs to reevaluate himself If he's putting himself in a situation to have his jaw tapped and his phone snatched.

I'm sure he learnt his lesson when he woke up the next morning to a very sore jaw.
Mhmm. It's the first thing anyone living in a big city should be aware of, especially in the dark when there's nobody else around. I mean I guess he's unlucky too but it's still not a good situation to put yourself in.

Izuna

Banned
I have never been close to a situation like this ~ so watching the video had my heart racing...

I had my PSP robbed when I was say... 15th? Guy asked for the time, but all I had was my PSP, then after a while he came up wanting to see it. That was the day I learned that the straps are not very protective haha.

Please catch this guy.

The phone stealing isn't what gets me, it's the assault and then standing over a guy ripping his stuff from him while he pleads for you to have mercy.

Then the immediate factory reset....blatantly done this before.

I'm pissed.

This needs to be the last person he does this to.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

yeah i'm sure he woke up and thought 'man if only i hadn't been playing pokemon go i could have whipped out my jin-jitsu and messed that guy right up'

Rootbeer

Banned
Please catch this guy.

The phone stealing isn't what gets me, it's the assault and then standing over a guy ripping his stuff from him while he pleads for you to have mercy.

I'm pissed.

I hear ya man. That feeling is what drove me to make this thread.

It's so rare that we have a case like this where there is such strong evidence to help identify the assailant. I hope it will be enough to track him down.

Hope they catch him and he goes away for a long time. What a piece of shit.

Hope the streamer is alright and didn't lose too much important or sensitive data on the phone.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, a robber should definitely have enough honor to meet his victim face to face, tell his victim his name, and expose himself to the cops before beating the shit out of them and stealing their goods
?

yeah i'm sure he woke up and thought 'man if only i hadn't been playing pokemon go i could have whipped out my jin-jitsu and messed that guy right up'
Or maybe he thought maybe if I wasnt standing around a city at night, alone, staring at my phone live streaming I wouldn't have my jaw smashed and no phone.

This is common sense when living in a big city.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it really that easy to do a factory reset on a Samsung? Thought there would be pin request or something...

it's easy on iphone too if you have all the security measures turned off... this was a really big goof on his part. On twitter though he said he was able to lock the phone remotely at least.

Vex_

Banned
Please catch this guy.

I'm pissed.

Yooo on some real shit. I am furious right now. The poor guy is saying please stop. And he just continues. This dude needs to get his ass beat.

Cant see a gun in the video, but does anyone know if he is armed? If he wasnt, man.... Like you said, this needs to be the last one he does anyway armed or not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I mean, if your gonna jack someone you don't exactly do things that help you get caught.

Streaming yourself out in public at night is just asking for trouble.
That sounds really close too.
Well it was his fault walking around in the night.

My mother taught me to keep my hands of other people's stuff.
And i refuse to change my lifestyle to idiots like that robber.

I feel safe where i live.

Or maybe he thought maybe if I wasnt standing around a city at night, alone, staring at my phone live streaming I wouldn't have my jaw smashed and no phone.

This is common sense when living in a big city.

What people are trying to say is that usually when something like this happens, the last thing people really want to hear is a lecture on how it could have been prevented by the victim

At best it comes off as stating what is painfully obvious to the benefit of no one.(well I guess it benefits you by making you feel smart) At worst it makes you look extremely callous as you lecture someone recovering from something bad happening to them. Especially when they aren't the ones who've done anything wrong legally or morally in the situation.

That sounds really close too.
Well it was his fault walking around in the night.

My mother taught me to keep my hands of other people's stuff.
And i refuse to change my lifestyle to idiots like that robber.

I feel safe where i live.
I'm guessing you don't live in downtown NyC

Trup1aya

This sounds like something Trump would say to fuel fear :/

How about you do not start victim shaming on page 2?

What? I'm the exact opposite of that. People SHOULD be able to feel safe anywhere.

But if you go through life feeling, that as long as I'm not in an urban area, I can be care free at night, then you are ignorant.

criminals prey on vulnerable people. That's no secret. And the most vulnerable person is the one who says "it can't happen to me because..."

My point isn't that everyone needs to assume everyone around them wants to hurt them. My point is that to making the generalizations regarding places of safety that I've seen in this thread is dangerous in of itself.

The FACT is assaults can and do happen anywhere, at anytime, to anyone. assailants don't adhere to any geographical boundaries.

Top Bottom