• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO player robbed during live stream

Venom Fox

Banned
Walking around parks after night is when tons of people play Pokemon GO in my experience. It'll be even moreso once the time changes and sunset is earlier.
Really? Where I am they usually played during the day. I just think this could've been avoided. I feel really bad for him though. I bet it's horrible going through that.

Guy's jaw gets messed up and we get an update on the OP by a guy named "jawbreaker." Yeesh lol

This is disgusting. Hope he has a full recovery with no pain =(

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Anybody who ever does this to another human being is pure garbage. That man who did the mugging is the scum of this earth.

I hope for a speedy recovery but the emotional scars will take a long time to heal (if they ever do).

Can't believe someone would do that, for a PHONE. He can't be too smart.. anyone can block their phone remotely these days from doing anything.

I hope that dudes jaw is OK, he mentioned on twitter his jaw hit the floor.

I remember the riots here in the UK, i saw a video of some guys attacking a student, they stole his PSP and hit him so hard in the jaw he now has a special part for his jaw. It'll never be the same again. Shattered jaw.

The world pisses me off so bad.

CrazE

Banned
This was like seeing McLovin get hit out of the blue on Superbad.

Damn.. sorry to the stream on that crap. Glad they got this dudes face. He'll get his soon enough.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope that dudes jaw is OK, he mentioned on twitter his jaw hit the floor.
He said he has been told to eat through a straw for the time being. He sounds upbeat though, all considered.
I remember the riots here in the UK, i saw a video of some guys attacking a student, they stole his PSP and hit him so hard in the jaw he now has a special part for his jaw. It'll never be the same again. Shattered jaw.
Yeah I remember that... was brutal as hell.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
And please don't use the race card on me.
My gf is indian.

Not sure if this is real or not. Because it's so silly.

I've been to that area of NYC a million times, and while I'm the first person to say that you shouldn't be walking around with your phone out at night like that, the area isn't exactly very threatening. There are usually a ton of people around that area, including a lot of cops.

The real issue is that these phones are still so desirable that this is a thing. Apple/Samsung need to implement technology where stolen phones are rendered useless immediately.

R0ckman

There are good stories run all the time. Everytime there is an apparent abuse of police powers, the web gets flooded with feel good stories about police handing out gifts and ice cream , or playing with kids in the park. The thing is though, police are hired to do good- that's the baseline expectation. So when they do bad, betray the public trust, and/or systematically harm the people the are sworn to protect, it's particularly news worthly.

Would you feel better if the media ignored the disproportionately abysmal "service" some members of American society have been receiving? that's pretty much how it has been since day one, up until very recently.

But let's not make this event about policing. It wasn't bad policing or cops that aren't "hard" enough... It was an individual predator who took advantage of a vulnerable person.

The best we can do is learn to avoid the specific behaviors that attract predators, and hope that there's enough evidence to lead to this asshole's arrest.

Edit: PS I don't think it right to accuse you of being racist. But the mindset that you seem to have is the exact mind set that allows systematically racist policy like "0 tolerance" to exist. If someone can show you a link to a man being blown away by a cop, and all you can think about is the cops fear, I'd say you totally lack perspective. You don't even question whether that Cop would show have the same fear, had the encounter been with someone who looked differently. You don't question why in his short life time he "was stopped by police 46 times and racked up more than $6,000 in fines. Another curious statistic: Of all of the stops, only six of them were things a police officer would notice from outside a car — things like speeding or having a broken muffler".

So if people of color being targeted by then killed by "fearful" police isn't newsworthy to you, if you think these things can be summed up as "accidents" maybe racist is a strong word- but you're part of the problem.

Very good post. To me I would rather have a news segment about a Lion that escapes the zoo and is on the loose than a news segment about what the caged Lion had for lunch while in the care of the zoo keeper.

Really? Where I am they usually played during the day. I just think this could've been avoided. I feel really bad for him though. I bet it's horrible going through that.

I clicked the video, and I saw that the streamer was playing at 12:31 AM. The activity in the area seemed fairly dead, so I agree that he used poor judgment here.

The actions of the assailant are still inexcusable, and I hope he gets caught.

Djostikk

Did anyone has similar situation? Maybe someone tried to attack you, steal money, etc. I hope not, but who knows. I just want to know what to do in this kind of situations.

Hope he will be well soon.

SarusGray

Did anyone has similar situation? Maybe someone tried to attack you, steal money, etc. I hope not, but who knows. I just want to know what to do in this kind of situations.

I've been in a couple of these situations. I've ran, taken a bus really fast, pretended to enter a house that wasn't mine.. If you get caught unguarded though that's not your fault.... Just hand them your items and pray they don't do anything worse. Your life is worth infinitely more. Only fight back if they are trying to kill you... Which is basically what do you have to lose at that point, fight back, punch em in the balls and run as fast as you can.

Its why I recommend self defense classes for everyone that's anyone. It makes you more aware of your surroundings. We are anjmanls and some of us has lost the ability to perceive danger. We need to reacquire it and remember at any given moment your life could be in danger.

Biske

I was actually out this weekend playing and I was out at like 9:30 or 10. Was dark and getting darker, they were normal Pokemon hot spots and still had a few people about, but it did start to make me think I shouldn't be out walking around any more, not without tons more people or being in the day time.

watching this was tough since I got my shit jacked a few months ago but at least this guy has footage and the guy who robbed him thankfully wasn't too aggressive about it. friendly reminder to take pics of all your info like drivers licenses and serial numbers and store them somewhere safe at home or in the cloud if you're not too worried about data security. if you ever get robbed you're gonna need em. also keep a fuckin passcode on your phone, it'll at least buy you a little time and let you track it if they don't turn it off.

Yeah, few months ago some guys beat me up and stole my car and phone. I made a thread about it here. I learned very quickly that it isn't about what you do during the robbery that really matters, it's if you're prepared to get robbed in the first place. Like I said, have all your info ready, make sure insurance is in check, etc etc. Don't carry too much shit you aren't willing to lose. If you value your life and aren't proficient with a weapon you only really have one option in the moment, and that's to ante up. That's the whole point of a mugging. If you believe in shooting people over property or invest in some pepper spray or something you might not even have the chance to do anything, and it could make the situation worse, so the important part is to just be aware that shit happens and to have everything in place to rebound easily.

I really don't recommend it an any area. Assaults/robberies/abductions, they happen in rural areas, parks, housing developments, college campuses... Everywhere... People shouldn't be alone at night in places with low visibility...
This is the truth.

Really sad/scary to see this play out but I'm glad he can ultimately walk away from the incident.

Hope he will be well soon.
I was mugged a few years ago when my wife was with me. We gave all our stuff without issue and did exactly what he said and it was over. It's completely terrifying and you feel helpless but I'll never value possessions or needless bravery over our safety. I didn't carry then and I still don't but there really aren't any 'options' in that situation.

This is the truth..

As sad as it is. I don't even dare to show my my phone on certain streets and hours, pepper spray ready while going back home late :(

reading a bit on locking phones remotely, apparently in iOS you would need a password to do the factory reset (I think this has made them much less theft friendly), but I'm unsure about wheter you can do that in Android.

Cynar

Illegal is a stretch, but if you see anyone walking around with one of these you have reason to suspect them of being potentially shady. You don't just walk around with that at night in public for no reason.
Wouldn't a good reason be to see at night? Are you guys serious?

Wouldn't a good reason be to see at night? Are you guys serious?
Yea, lots of bikers and joggers wear those in my area. The real question is why would someone be wearing one of those and jogging with a huge ass backpack in the middle of the night. That's more sketch than anything else. Joggers usually pack pretty light.

I mean, it wasn't exactly Central Park South, 6th Ave at a time where 100+ people congregate to play Pokemon Go in that area on a daily basis.

This is where Kitty Genovese died, for reference:

q8V3Wiv.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...e170722a!8m2!3d40.7104894!4d-73.8294315?hl=en

He wasn't in the park, rather on a street outside of it.
I think his point went completely over your head.

The guy reset the phone to factory settings immediately. I'm not sure what you could do here remotely.

You can block the phone from ever being used ever with the IMEI number. It's usually written on the documents you get with the phone. Anyway, ope they catch that fucker. I really wish the world was a better place.

Aenima

Its a shame we live in a world where stuff like this happens. But when u walk alone at midnight in a low populated street, flashing ur cellphone, you are asking for it.

Mugger face got on cam so i hope police can use that to identify him.

FatalT

Banned
If you have a weapon (a gun, knife, wrench, whatever) and you end up killing someone who was trying to mug you while using it, would you be charged with anything? Just curious. Seems like a lot of evidence would be needed to prove that it was in self-defense.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If you have a weapon (a gun, knife, wrench, whatever) and you end up killing someone who was trying to mug you while using it, would you be charged with anything? Just curious. Seems like a lot of evidence would be needed to prove that it was in self-defense.

Of course you would. Getting mugged isn't a license to murder someone. In order to claim self defense, you have to actually be in danger. If the other person had a weapon, like a gun, then that's one thing. If the bad guy had nothing but his fists, and you had a gun, then you can't just shoot him.

Note that the law is different in each state. Some states give people broader defenses.

dsk1210

It's the psychological trauma that is inflicted on the person that is worse than the psychical.

I have had knifes held to my throat twice now and it took me a good while mentally to get over it.

psaman17

Banned
Of course you would. Getting mugged isn't a license to murder someone. In order to claim self defense, you have to actually be in danger. If the other person had a weapon, like a gun, then that's one thing. If the bad guy had nothing but his fists, and you had a gun, then you can't just shoot him.

Note that the law is different in each state. Some states give people broader defenses.

U mean after the streamer got karate chopped to the floor and had his jaws broken, he couldnt claim self defense if he shot the asshole?

I could argue his life was reasonably in danger.

Gaogaogao

why did twitch ban him?
his content is gaming related, and even if it wasnt, isnt there like a shitload of non gaming related content on twitch now?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm guessing perhaps family pictures and videp she didn't back up were on the phone?

Only reason I could see for why she held onto it for life.
Never been robbed so I'm not the person to call someone out. The situation described seemed really bad.. But I would think, especially if you have children waiting for you at home, you would just give up everything and and try to keep the situation harmless. Considering they were violent and multiple people Im having a difficult time what she was hoping to achieve.

Then again I wasn't there and who knows exactly how the situation played out... Let's just hope she gets better soon.

Wolfe

why did twitch ban him?
his content is gaming related, and even if it wasnt, isnt there like a shitload of non gaming related content on twitch now?

"Rickeybot has confirmed it's only a 24hr ban resulting from his automated system streaming too long without playing anything after the attack."

Right in the OP.

Never been robbed so I'm not the person to call someone out. The situation described seemed really bad.. But I would think, especially if you have children waiting for you at home, you would just give up everything and and try to keep the situation harmless. Considering they were violent and multiple people Im having a difficult time what she was hoping to achieve.

Then again I wasn't there and who knows exactly how the situation played out... Let's just hope she gets better soon.
I can say from personal experience that when you get robbed like that you're not necessarily going to think rationally, especially at first. If you're caught off guard, e.g. in a nicer area, then you're often like "Oh my god, this can't be happening... They can't be serious..." and do dumb shit like running after a guy for way too long before realizing that they might have a weapon and even if they don't you can't fight for shit so you're fucked anyways.

HoodWinked

I think he was robbed of 3 phones so if the guy is ever caught he could be charged with felony theft.

his twitch page mentioned his Smartphones: Nexus 6P (2x), Samsung Galaxy S7

ChazGW7

Literally can't believe the comments and the amount of likes theyre generating. The fuck is wrong with this world? Why is YouTube not on top of that shit? Unbelievable.

Trup1aya

U mean after the streamer got karate chopped to the floor and had his jaws broken, he couldnt claim self defense if he shot the asshole?

I could argue his life was reasonably in danger.

It really depends on the state and the jury. Typically the key is convincing the court that the victim had a reason to fear for his/her life.

To me, one of the most facsinating things about the trayvon Martin case is the dismissal of the idea that Martins fear of Zimmerman would have legally authorized Martin to use lethal force against Zimmerman.

Many gun rights advocates stress that percieved threats should be killed. They'll say it's the only way to be sure a threat is neutralized. But it reality it's much easier to argue self defense in court if the other party is deceased. A dead man tells no tales.

There are some no-no's, like shooting as suspect in the back (this one apparently doesn't apply to police), and I've seen people get prosecuted for firing warning shots instead of shooting their assailants.

In conclusion, The US is fucking wierd when it comes to this stuff.

psaman17

Banned
It really depends on the state and the jury. Typically the key is convincing the court that the victim had a reason to fear for his/her life.

To me, one of the most facsinating things about the trayvon Martin case is the dismissal of the idea that Martins fear of Zimmerman would have legally authorized Martin to use lethal force against Zimmerman.

Many gun rights advocates stress that percieved threats should be killed. They'll say it's the only way to be sure a threat is neutralized. But it reality it's much easier to argue self defense in court if the other party is deceased. A dead man tells no tales.

There are some no-no's, like shooting as suspect in the back (this one apparently doesn't apply to police), and I've seen people get prosecuted for firing warning shots instead of shooting their assailants.

In conclusion, The US is fucking wierd when it comes to this stuff.

But in this case there was no perceived threats. The streamer was assaulted. He was hit with enough force that his head hit the cement ground.

If he had a gun in his pocket and shot the theft, it is not self defense?

shandy706

One of those moments I wish the person streamin had a gun, and got to use it.

Well, at least a tazer or bear spray...lol.

Can you have any of those legally there?

Top Bottom