• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon spot got too popular in Australia, confrontation with locals, cops called

LOZLINK

I know what being hit with an egg is like, I've had one thrown at me by a passing car that hit me in the side of the face. Last thing that crossed my mind was "OMG I'VE BEEN ASSAULTED".
I'm not referring to the egg. I mean the water balloon which can hurt quite a bit. If it comes with the same pain as a punch to the face, has the same intent, you'd classify one but not the other? Obviously I didn't think of assault cause in all reality, I don't really give a fuck besides doing my own damage to that person but yeah. To the wrong person it can cause damage

Those who disrespect the rights, freedoms, space and properties of others should expect the same in return.

Real people and real life has higher priority over virtual people and virtual lives.

There is absolutely no argument.

I'm not comparing it to anything. I said I lived near a homeless shelter to show I have experience living near tons and tons of noise, and I show no sympathy for people who show no sympathy.

Its just a video game. People will disperse in a few days after the trend ends. Let the kids go outside and make some fucking friends. That's way more important than a couple entitled people nimbying people having fun. Wear fucking ear plugs and let others enjoy themselves.
Their enjoyment of a game is infringing on other people's enjoyment of their domestic lives. So what now?

If I'm in my home, I shouldn't need earplugs because a bunch of jerks without responsibilities are out late. There was a reason that the police threatened them with $200 fines.
Poster on a video game forum making fun of people by calling them nerds and dweebs.

giphy.gif
The definition of a dweeb has to do with being socially inept.

So yeah, you're a frigging dweeb if you're out making a public disturbance for the sake of a video game.

redcrayon

Did you even read it? It says my house is insulated.
I'm not really sure how it's progressive to have houses insulated to avoid people having the basic social skills to not continually piss off local residents of an area you do or don't live in night after night.

I mean, sure, soundproofing is cool, but it shouldn't replace having a little regard for others. Surely the answer to this particular issue is to make it one pokestop rather than three and thus make the park a bit less of a prime destination, spreading out players a bit more, as opposed to insulating every apartment? I don't think anyone would care if it was smaller groups of people rather than a large crowd staying half the night because it's by far the best location for miles around.

I don't think it's actually players deliberately causing a disturbance, but them not having the awareness to realise that large groups of people talking quietly (like in a busy pub) can gradually raise the noise level quite high.

Soph

I'm not really sure how it's progressive to have houses insulated to avoid people having the basic social skills to not continually piss off local residents of an area you do or don't live in night after night.

I mean, sure, soundproofing is cool, but it shouldn't replace having a little regard for others. Surely the answer to this particular issue is to make it one pokestop rather than three and thus make the park a bit less of a prime destination, spreading out players a bit more, as opposed to insulating every apartment?

You can look for solutions on both sides of the problem. People who care for silence at night should definitely insulate their houses, that's common sense.

LOZLINK

You can look for solutions on both sides of the problem. People who care for silence at night should definitely insulate their houses, that's common sense.
Thats a terrible cop out excuse. Rhodes is a fairly quiet area. If I didn't have an issue before, why should I spend my money because of people playing a game?

redcrayon

I'd like to think regard for others when next to a residential area at night should be common sense too. Expecting residents to pay to insulate their houses because visitors to the park can't be quiet at night isn't the progressive solution you seemed to be claiming it was. It's a solution, but one that puts no responsibility on players of a social game when the difference between expected noise levels in the day and at night are a pretty basic unwritten rule of society, whether the people that comprise it are playing Pokemon or not.

Common sense would be to have some basic regard for the people who live in the area where you're going to play your game.

Soph

There's actually people who work night shifts, would common sense imply in their case that noise pollution in day times would be curbed by stopping traffic and all staying quiet when walking down streets?....

Common sense would make them insulate their houses.

Edit: Since I'm going to bed and won't be able to reply:

There is a problem "Noise pollution"
There are solutions to this problem

1. Calling the police, starting a fit, throwing eggs at the people causing the problem
Problem gets fixed by dispersing crowds, maybe removing the pokéstops. A temporary fix until the next source of noise pollution comes up.

2. Solution 2 however makes sure you will never have a problem with any sound pollution from any source whatsoever again at any time of day. Just Insulate your house.

This might not be common sense as seen by the flurry of responses but it's the right sense.

There's actually people who work night shifts, would common sense imply in their case that noise pollution in day times would be curbed by stopping traffic and all staying quiet when walking down streets?....

If you live outside of the daily life cycle that most people follow, yes, that might be common sense.

These people obviously don't.

redcrayon

The point is that people walking or driving past a house where someone on night shifts is sleeping aren't being unreasonable or hanging around for hours in large numbers, and so have no obligation to keep the noise of their footfall/engine down to the absolute bare minimum (although I always avoid making excessive noise just in case). Social expectation is that individuals need to travel around to get to work etc during the day and there's a certain level of noise that goes with that. It's not exactly the same as a social media 2am crowd.

A closer analogy would be if a large impromptu gathering happened during the day, every day, with no sign of it stopping. If I was a local resident that was either sleeping during the day, working at home or looking after a baby, I'd be wondering when it was ever going to end by day three.

Agree that if my career had me working nights on a regular basis, I'd insulate my house. Still seems unreasonable to those with young families, and I'd still be pissed off at the amount of rubbish, difficulty parking etc caused by an app deciding that my apartment was next to Pokemon HQ though.

Rich!

Common sense would make them insulate their houses

Want to put up the cost for that for those who cannot afford the thousands to pay for insulation (which, in Australia, is a sure way to get heatstroke and then requiring open windows negating it entirely)? I'm sure you're a stand up enough guy to foot the bill for everyone on that complex!!!

Oh and what about the people living in rental properties? Oh right, you didn't think about that either.

But at least I've learned today that being progressive is the act of insulating your home!

Holy fucking shit. I've read some ignorant and plain mindblowingly dumb things, but your posts have taken the award this month.

Mihos

Gold Member

Edit: Since I'm going to bed and won't be able to reply:

There is a problem "Noise pollution"
There are solutions to this problem

1. Calling the police, starting a fit, throwing eggs at the people causing the problem
Problem gets fixed by dispersing crowds, maybe removing the pokéstops. A temporary fix until the next source of noise pollution comes up.

2. Solution 2 however makes sure you will never have a problem with any sound pollution from any source whatsoever again at any time of day. Just Insulate your house.

This might not be common sense as seen by the flurry of responses but it's the right sense.

Obviously you are completely ignorant on zoning and homeowner rights. There are protections that extend beyond the boundaries of your property, whether it is a lemonade stand across the street or air traffic patterns above your head. "Wear headphones and deal with it" is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. Good news is, these laws already exist and are actively enforced, so I will just redirect your objections to my HOA.

Rich!

Also, I have a brand new house. It was built last year. Insulated to fucking high heaven with double celotex and fibreglass.

Guess what? I can still hear the neighbours dog. I can still hear people outside. I can still hear the motorbike across the road revving as the guy starts his night shift in the morning.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Also, I have a brand new house. It was built last year. Insulated to fucking high heaven with double celotex and fibreglass.

Guess what? I can still hear the neighbours dog. I can still hear people outside. I can still hear the motorbike across the road revving as the guy starts his night shift in the morning.
Insulation and sound proofing, aren't the same thing.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This damn game is really bringing out the stupidity of some people. And the funny thing is most of the people playing it never gave a fuck about Pokemon, but now all of a sudden since this is the latest "trend" they care.

-d0hv

Top Bottom