• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police at UC Davis pepper spray faces/mouths of peaceful student protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajf009

Well, this changes things.

Another reminder not to use social media as a source of information.

I'm gunna have to agree that it does

Fusebox said:
Oh please, the officer with the pepper-spray casually stepped over this 'blockade' of students twice without being impeded before spraying them.

they weren't blocking those walking around. they were blocking their vehicles and tried to stop them from taking those who had already been arrested

KHarvey16

Oh please, the officer with the pepper-spray casually stepped over this 'blockade' of students twice without being impeded before spraying them.

He steps onto the other side while pepper spraying. Most people moved before they started spraying. I don't see him go over anywhere before that. As as pointed out, that still has no bearing on a vehicle unless you're suggesting the cop car just run them over.

Slayven

Seams like every rallying point they get turns around and gets bitchslapped by 5 minutes of extra investigation.

Fusebox

Banned
He steps onto the other side while pepper spraying. Most people moved before they started spraying. I don't see him go over anywhere before that. As as pointed out, that still has no bearing on a vehicle unless you're suggesting the cop car just run them over.

Cars don't run on rails.

The idea that resorting to pepper-spray was the only possible response, or the best possible response, to move a seated handful of scrawny university students is laughable.

What I don't find laughable is the amount of people who are cool with this kind of action against university students on university property.

ajf009

When I first saw the videos I was disgusted by what happened and thought it was complete bullshit. but that other video clearly shows the students being idiots, they were warned more than enough times that if they didn't get out of the way of the car, they'd be sprayed. (which makes those "say it don't spray it" signs seem pretty stupid)

if a friend I was with was did something illegal and was arrested, and I got in the officers way and tried to stop him from leaving or taking my friend to the police station, I would be arrested for obstruction of justice right?

slit

Hey, they saw something that they felt was unjust and tried to stop it non-violently. I do have to say, however, that you also have to realize there are consequences to your actions. If you feel strongly enough about something, getting pepper-sprayed in the face for it might be what it takes to get your point across. People have had to endure far worse to change things. I don't agree that crying about it after the fact helps your cause much. They were blocking the cops from doing their job, that doesn't make them wrong, but it means there will be a reaction.

KHarvey16

Cars don't run on rails.

The idea that resorting to pepper-spray was the only possible response, or the best possible response, to move a seated handful of scrawny university students is laughable.

What I don't find laughable is the amount of people who are cool with this kind of action against university students on university property.

So the car should have driven over the students not seated on the concrete? You're not on the right side of this one. It was a foolish move by the students.

If I had to pick one way to move a group of people, you bet I'd choose pepper spray. Physically dragging them away is dangerous to both parties.

Cars don't run on rails.

Unless you expect the cops to magically harness some Magneto-like telekinesis, how else do you move a bunch of belligerent kids without putting yourself (and them) in physical danger?

Slayven

So the car should have driven over the students not seated on the concrete? You're not on the right side of this one. It was a foolish move by the students.

If I had to pick one way to move a group of people, you bet I'd choose pepper spray. Physically dragging them away is dangerous to both parties.

The fact that the majority of them got out of the way showed they were right.

notworksafe

You arrest people like the state is supposed to do when people break the law.

Arrest the entire circle? Interesting idea. But then what? Is the holding cell/area large enough to hold everyone there plus the others already detained? Should the police just take multiple trips in vans and cars to transport everyone?

Not to mention everyone had their arms locked together. How would you get to their arms/hands to put handcuffs on them?

Fusebox

Banned
http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/CrowdMgtGuidelines.pdf

Law enforcement may determine a crowd to be unlawful based on reasonable facts. The California Penal Code determines unlawful conduct as "as conduct that poses a clear and present danger of imminent violence."

I don't see a seated protest as posing a clear and present danger of imminent violence, obviously your viewpoints differ.

According to California guidelines, law enforcement must use force that is "objectively reasonable under the totality of the circumstance." Acceptable tactics include, but are not limited to, physical grips, control devices and non-lethal chemical agents. All uses of force must be appropriate to the situation.

Physical grips to remove those protesters seated immediately in the path of the cruiser would have been an acceptable response imo.

Arresting those protesters seated immediately in the path of the cruiser would have been an acceptable response imo.

You do realize that pepper spray is pretty standard for non-compliance, right? Try refusing to get out of your car next time you're pulled over.

I don't know how common a practice it is for someone to be pepper sprayed for getting out of their car (I personally have never heard of it), but the job of the state isn't to bring pain to its citizens when they're out of line.

The only time violence from a police officer is acceptable is when
1. They're protecting yourself from physical harm.
2. They're protecting someone else from physical harm.
3. When someone is actively resisting a lawful arrest.

I don't really see any of these conditions being upheld, and I don't know how a citizenship can be so cavalier about physical violence toward their friends and neighbors.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cars don't run on rails.

Resorting to physically arresting students when there is a mob surrounding you doesn't seem like the right course of action to me. There's something inherently more physical about that, as opposed to the spray. This situation isn't about the line of scrawny kids, it's about the huge crowd surrounding them and their mentality. More specifically, how they would react to the sight of pepper spray versus the knee-jerk "THEY'RE PHYSICALLY ATTACKING US" response.

The police seem to have warned them multiple times. They needed to get through. It's a messy issue, but a police force that is perceieved as being unable to, well, enforce their own 'reasonable' requests by the public can make things a whole lot worst in the future.

KHarvey16

I don't see a seated protest as posing a clear and present danger of imminent violence, obviously your viewpoints differ.

Physical grips to remove those protesters seated immediately in the path of the cruiser would have been an acceptable response imo.

Arresting those protesters seated immediately in the path of the cruiser would have been an acceptable response imo.

How on earth do you believe physically engaging these people represents a better alternative than pepper spray? That is precisely what pepper spray is designed to avoid.

royalan

I guess you didn't hear the part of the video where the students repeatedly yell "Set them free and we'll let you leave." Implying that if the police don't let them go, they aren't going to let them leave. That can legally be determined as threatening action.

And there are so many instances of violence escalating when police initiate physical contact, so the cops are more than justified in using pepper spray to lower the risk of violence.

And hey - the sting of pepper spray doesn't last nearly as long as an arrest record. So the kids got off easy, really.

Arrest the entire circle? Interesting idea. But then what? Is the holding cell/area large enough to hold everyone there plus the others already detained? Should the police just take multiple trips in vans and cars to transport everyone?

Not to mention everyone had their arms locked together. How would you get to their arms/hands to put handcuffs on them?

Yes, that's how law enforcement works. If they can hold the number of people from the War on Drugs, they can probably hold a few college students. If they are unable to do so, that probably speaks to the amount of power to the protestors vs. the cops. The Freedom Riders in the late fifties helped gain transportation rights for black people by getting hundreds of people arrested.

As to your second point, these kids aren't terminators. It's not exactly a science arresting people who are holding on to something.

Was there?
Yes, afterwards the cops pinned them to the ground to arrest them. There were also reports of pinning students to the ground, then hitting them with pepper spray, but I haven't seen if there's video supporting/disproving that.

notworksafe

Yes, that's how law enforcement works. If they can hold the number of people from the War on Drugs, they can probably hold a few college students. If they are unable to do so, that probably speaks to the amount of power to the protestors vs. the cops. The Freedom Riders in the late fifties helped gain transportation rights for black people by getting hundreds of people arrested.

As to your second point, these kids aren't terminators. It's not exactly a science arresting people who are holding on to something.

You should read the above posts as they have clearly stated why physical contact in the middle of a crowd that is threatening the police might not have been the best call.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You think there wasn't physical contact after they pepper sprayed the kids?

Shrug. I keep flip-flopping on this whole thing. There really wasn't a course of action they could have taken to remove the students from their vehicles path that wouldn't have resulted in some kind of outcry. Which was, of course, the whole point of the line, which really, really bothers me. I can't articulate what I really feel about this, to be honest. I'm not anywhere near well read or experienced enough with issues like this. Brute-forcing action from local police who are following orders and clear-protocol just doesn't seem like a particularly effective way of sending a message, to me. That's what it comes down to. They have the mental capacity to be better than that. But again, what would I know.

How on earth do you believe physically engaging these people represents a better alternative than pepper spray? That is precisely what pepper spray is designed to avoid.

Why? Do you think a person would rather be dragged away to a cop car or cough up blood for the next two hours?

Fusebox

Banned
You should read the above posts as they have clearly stated why physical contact in the middle of a crowd that is threatening the police might not have been the best call.

Threatening not to move is not the same as threatening the police.

I don't see anything about that crowds behaviour as evidence of "imminent violence".

royalan

None of this really explains why you think pepper spray wasn't an acceptable course of action. You advocate the use of force to separate the crowd and arrest all of the protesters, not minding the potential bruises and scrapes that will likely accompany being pinned to the ground and handcuffed (and we're completely disregarding potential risk to the cops here).

But don't use pepper spray! That hurts!

None of this really explains why you think pepper spray wasn't an acceptable course of action. You advocate the use of force to separate the crowd and arrest all of the protesters, not minding the potential bruises and scrapes that will likely accompany being pinned to the ground and handcuffed (and we're completely disregarding potential risk to the cops here).

It's mainly about using pepper spray at a 2 foot range when it specifically calls for a >15 foot range use.

Cough up blood? You know they don't force the can down their throats, right?
Did you see the video? At that range you might as well push the can down their throats.

Are you really comparing the bumps and bruises of getting arrested to getting a hose of pepper spray in your throat?

Not to mention these kids aren't exactly fighting back. It wouldn't exactly be difficult business. The cops don't want to do it because it would be messy and a ton of paperwork that they'd have to deal with. This way is just so much easier.

Zabka

They did actually.

Instead, as online videos of the incident depict, they sat peacefully with arms crossed as officers marched up to the protest line, one brandishing a can of pepper spray before dousing students with it repeatedly at point-blank range. Protesters who covered their faces were sprayed under their shirts, and Kamran says one student vomited profusely after being sprayed directly in the mouth. "It was such an intense feeling. It felt like acid was being poured on our faces," says Kamran, a philosophy and comparative-literature major. "I was basically immobile and in a lot of pain."
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2099919,00.html

royalan

Bingo! Now you've got it.

And being pinned to the concrete, arms forced behind your back, and bound by skin-tight metallic handcuffs doesn't hurt?

Are you also saying that the temporary sting of pepper spray is worse than an arrest that will be on your record for years?

Fusebox

Banned

I haven't seen a pepper-spray that was more point-blank than this one.

The interview on the last page doesn't paint a nice picture of the effects.

And personally, I'd rather be treated like an LA protester instead of getting a point-blank blast of pepper-spray to the face:

166c042fe98cca19fe0e6a706700a2f5.jpg

And being pinned to the concrete, arms forced behind your back, and bound by skin-tight metallic handcuffs doesn't hurt?

That's the treatment they received AFTER being pepper-sprayed. From the last page:

They handcuffed the students so tightly. One kid, later on they were unable to cut off his ties, they'd been tied so tight. One of the other students couldn't feel his hands they were so purple, his circulation was cut off so badly for so long. He took himself to the hospital after he was released from the zip-tie restraints. They told him he had nerve damage and not to expect to be able to feel his hands for the next week. He has to come back next week to see if there was permanent nerve damage in his wrists.

KHarvey16

It's mainly about using pepper spray at a 2 foot range when it specifically calls for a >15 foot range use.

Did you see the video? At that range you might as well push the can down their throats.

What? It's liquid! Whether you spray it at 20 feet or 2 feet it gets in their eyes and mouth. That's the whole idea.

What? It's liquid! Whether you spray it at 20 feet or 2 feet it gets in their eyes and mouth. That's the whole idea.
It spreads out over distance. That's the whole point of it having a designated range. It's more concentrated if you use it at point blank range. It's not some super-soaker that keeps the same stream of water over range, it's a cone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom